Levi Wallce buried on depth chart; if he's cut...?

boyst

Levi Wallce is buried behind Patrick Peterson and once projected starter Ahkello Witherspoon. Joey Porter, Jr. comes in with lots of fanfare and will be shoved down everyone's throats Tevon Diggs style, while fellow rookkie Cory Trice is also in Pittsburgh.

He is owed $5.5mm while a hit of only $1.5mm.

If he was cut should we consider bringing him back to Buffalo as a depth CB behind White, Elam, Jackson and Benford (who maybe moving to safety?).

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

Just now, boyst said:

Levi Wallce is buried behind Patrick Peterson and once projected starter Ahkello Witherspoon. Joey Porter, Jr. comes in with lots of fanfare and will be shoved down everyone's throats Tevon Diggs style, while fellow rookkie Cory Trice is also in Pittsburgh.

He is owed $5.5mm while a hit of only $1.5mm.

If he was cut should we consider bringing him back to Buffalo as a depth CB behind White, Elam, Jackson and Benford (who maybe moving to safety?).

for starters he won't be cut. If porter pans out then Levi still stays as a dime back.

Levi passer rating allowed when thrown to him last year was an abysmal 74.6. While Pff coverage overall has him at 59.3.

the dude has lost his touch. I do not want him period. let our rookies LEARN! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

I have reconsidered, as depth he would be fine, at what we were paying him, or slightly more…, am I wrong? 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

for starters he won't be cut. If porter pans out then Levi still stays as a dime back.

Levi passer rating allowed when thrown to him last year was an abysmal 74.6. While Pff coverage overall has him at 59.3.

That isn't that bad and it is better than Tre White was last year. 

I wouldn't bring Levi back to start, but if they want to bring him back as depth to fight for a spot I wouldn't hate it. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

the dude has lost his touch.

When did he have his touch? 🤣

Jokes aside, because I do believe part of Levi's "struggles" were based on how our Defensive system pushes the ball to the #2 option, I'd welcome him back for depth. He's a better CB5 option than Jamarcus Ingram or Kyler McMichael. Especially once the injury bugs start biting.

White

Elam

(Johnson)

Benford

Dane Jackson

Wallace

(Lewis/Neal)

Nice looking group imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well, that's the thing with Levi: He's good enough -- provided he's in the right system -- to be a dependable starter.

But he's also a guy you're perpetually going to be thinking you can upgrade from. I think the Bills feel that they've done so with Elam/Benford/Jackson opposite Tre. I'm betting the Steelers went into the offseason with a goal of doing so, as well.

Wallace will have a long career in this league, but he's never going to be a star or a big money guy.

IF he gets cut -- which I doubt -- and wants to come play here for vet minimum, then great. Probably not gonna happen.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

When did he have his touch? 🤣

Jokes aside, because I do believe part of Levi's "struggles" were based on how our Defensive system pushes the ball to the #2 option, I'd welcome him back for depth. He's a better CB5 option than Jamarcus Ingram or Kyler McMichael. Especially once the injury bugs start biting.

White

Elam

(Johnson)

Benford

Dane Jackson

Wallace

(Lewis/Neal)

Nice looking group imo.

I wouldn't even go that far.

You just have to look at the starting groups he mostly worked with.

Prime Tre White (All-Proish)

Prime Hyde (All-Proish)

Prime Poyer (All-Proish)

Taron Johnson

Levi Wallace

I know who I would be targeting as an OC and trying to get action on.  Being the relative "worst" defender among some elite defenders means you're going to see a heck of a lot of passes from the offense.

To Levi's credit, when Tre went down and the targets spread more evenly to him and Dane, those "struggles" disappeared for the rest of the year until the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

That was 36th in the NFL lmao.  What do you expect out of a number 2 CB? 

Btw, Elam allowed 96.3 passer rating (162nd in the NFL), and Benford 84.1 (99th in the NFL) last season.

Do we just say things to say them now?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

He’s one of those players that only fits our system.

Yep, the Bills knew how to use him and cover up some of his weaknesses. But the Bills tried every year to replace him.

40 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

How is that passer rating against bad? That seems pretty decent. That makes him a starting corner in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MJS said:

Yep, the Bills knew how to use him and cover up some of his weaknesses. But the Bills tried every year to replace him.

citation needed.  Drafting DBs in the 7th isn't "trying to replace your starter" level investment.

Just now, FireChans said:

citation needed.  Drafting DBs in the 7th isn't "trying to replace your starter" level investment.

They brought in vet corners in free agency as well.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Btw, Elam allowed 96.3 passer rating (162nd in the NFL), and Benford 84.1 (99th in the NFL) last season.

and where exactly does it say that was 36th in the nfl? 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't bring Levi back to start, but if they want to bring him back as depth to fight for a spot I wouldn't hate it. 

74.6 is actually great. An 80 passer rating is the new Mendoza line and the very best defenses generally have overall team defense passer ratings in the mid-70s. The collective passer rating against SF's defense last year was 82.7.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

They brought in vet corners in free agency as well.

I mean I guess you could call old legs Josh Norman a "replacement" attempt, but a 1 year deal for a known quantity in the McD defense is just as much a depth signing.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes, very easy to search. 36th among ALL defensive players is great. 

However, the player who gave up the highest rating in the entire league? Yikes - Damar Hamlin. 142.3 rating against him. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm (for others who are interested, sort by the rating tab).

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah, sometimes we just say things.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

yeah 74 passer rating against is great these days.  League average passer rating is about 90 now. 

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yes, very easy to search. 36th among ALL defensive players is great. 

However, the player who gave up the highest rating in the entire league? Yikes - Damar Hamlin. 142.3 rating against himhttps://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm (for others who are interested, sort by the rating tab).

Yeah, sometimes we just say things.

I'm very happy he's alive and well. But I really hope he doesn't see the field for us on defense ever again.  He was not good. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Dislike 1

No thank you.   I'm pretty happy with Tre White and Kaiir Elam starting on the outside and Taron Johnson is a fixture at slot corner.  That leaves Buffalo with Benford and Jackson as depth corners.  Benford was a pleasant surprise at CB and both Jackson and Benford have enough starting experience to be comfortable.  Both are faster and have better body mass than Wallace.  Wallace is a good technician and makes good decisions in zone coverage, but his lack of speed and strength is always going to leave him at a disadvantage to big and strong or very fast receivers.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

How is that passer rating against bad? That seems pretty decent. That makes him a starting corner in the NFL.

59.3 was his actual coverage rating. ranked 68. the point was, and maybe I should have worded it better..  point being... Our rookies had a rough year having to START #2 out of the gate with a strong rotation, not allowing anyone to really get into the flow of the game.. They were rookies. 

They tried getting better then Levi for 2 straight seasons. Nothing panned out. depth guy sure. But if they stick him at #2 and hurt our playing time our rookies desperately needs then its an easy no. 

24 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

If he were to come back and push Cam Lewis off the team, that would be outstanding

Oh, well, NOW you're talking

Cam Lewis is one of those feel good stories where I read it and I'm like "Dude, for your long term physical health, PLEASE hang up your cleats and get that damned bone infection in your arm treated."

I read this as indicating he is vested with 3 credited seasons, meaning he gets health insurance for 5 years, a pension, and a number of other benefits.

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

59.3 was his actual coverage rating. ranked 68. the point was, and maybe I should have worded it better..  point being... Our rookies had a rough year having to START #2 out of the gate with a strong rotation, not allowing anyone to really get into the flow of the game.. They were rookies. 

They tried getting better then Levi for 2 straight seasons. Nothing panned out. depth guy sure. But if they stick him at #2 and hurt our playing time our rookies desperately needs then its an easy no. 

I don’t think anyone wants Levi as the #2 unless he flat out beats Elam/Benford in camp. And if that’s the case, then I’d be glad to have him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

id seriously take a look at him on the cheap.   CB was not a solid position for us last season.  Tre did not look like Tre (who knows if he will bounce back this year).  Elam couldnt get on the field with any kind of regularity for some reason.   add in the injuries to Benford who may be a better option at safety.   least Levi has the experience.    was he consistent?  mostly.   there was always 1 play per game where you shook your head though.     he was a solid #2 that played the majority of snaps, with offenses absolutely targeting him as much as possible,  he also,  imo,  drew alot of flags that were very questionable from the Refs.   the anti Sauce,  who gets away with more uncalled fouls than any CB ive ever watched play.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1

I never understood the dislike for Levi, 

he was a homerun for Buffalo during his time here. Can’t have all pros at every spot and Levi was arguably the best bang for your buck at corner in the entire league. 99% of the time if you have an UDFA starting day one at corner you are a bottom 15 defense. You get what you pay for right? 
I can understand wanting an upgrade but some people seem to really hate some of these guys toward the end of their runs with the team. People hated Levi like he ate up 10% of the salary cap, or like he caused drama or didn’t put in effort on the field. Really weird stuff how the mob targets certain players 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t want anyone taking playing time away from Elam or Benford.  So no.  Best of luck to him though.

This is probably the highest assessment of Levi I've ever seen! :thumbsup:

And wouldnt you say that if he came in and competed and COULD take playing time away from them, then it would be better to have him around since he would therefore be an upgrade?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.