Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

On 1/3/2024 at 9:24 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

They beat Columbus in OT 3-2. The Sabres problem is consistency. They give up 9 goals one night. The next they hang 9 on the Maple Leafs (which is awesome!)

They stink every year.  Perfectly consistent.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Home prices, sure. But are construction prices that different? Why does a stadium in Tennessee cost 60% of one in WNY? (I can guess.)

Get the same job in Boston you had in Western NY and watch your income increase by 40%. Then watch your spending cash decrease. A locale’s cost of living, or doing business impacts everything.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Titans, who announced their stadium deal 13 months after the Bills did, have released their 3d walkthrough of the new stadium:

I love how you can see the field from all of the concession stands. It's beautiful inside.

• Angry 1

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Titans, who announced their stadium deal 13 months after the Bills did, have released their 3d walkthrough of the new stadium:

I love how you can see the field from all of the concession stands. It's beautiful inside.

Not much excitement from the fans, they're all just standing around.  The only real movement I saw was the band at the 50 second mark. 

• Haha (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Its pretty nice looking.  Open-concourses are pretty standard now.  My only complaint is that one really big lounge area with the copious number of couches not even facing the field.  Go in and watch the game, people.  

I wish we had such a walkthrough.

Let me explain this again. These type of walk throughs are VERY easy to create. Once the Architects complete the computer model of the stadium they can literally select any path you’d like to move around inside the model. The only post-production added to the path are the people, trees, etc (known as ‘entourage’ in rendering vernacular).

With that said, why the Bills have chosen not to release any is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is they’re trying to oversell the interior finishes until all the construction contracts are finalized. If they’re going to cut corners at this point in the process it’ll be in the finishes. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Einstein said:

yeah that’s a nice feature.  Hopefully the new Bills stadium offers a similar “open concourse” concept.

I was at Nationals Park several times for baseball games and really enjoyed being able to see the action while taking a break and getting out of the sun.

29 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Not much excitement from the fans, they're all just standing around.  The only real movement I saw was the band at the 50 second mark. 

Also not one fat person in the entire video. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Man that lady with her arms up in the 17 Tannehill jersey was seemingly all over the stadium!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I wonder how much Kim’s health issues derailed any follow ups on virtual views and other pre-sales set ups, especially with the departure of Ron Raccuia

Edited by Jukester

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

When your team sucks and you don't even have a coach you need to distract the fans with something.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Einstein said:

That is really nice to see that but seating took a hit but I think it is a much more open look and cleaner

8 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Not building a domed stadium is going to be one of the dumbest moves in the history of WNY.

I would have preferred a dome as well, but who was going to pay for the significant extra cost? Also, given inflation and that fact that this stadium is being built in NY, I suspect that the stadium will be over budget in any event.

People around the state of NY bitched and moaned about the cost and still do. 

Even at the cost of this stadium, I suspect that people also will complain about the seat licenses.

12 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Not building a domed stadium is going to be one of the dumbest moves in the history of WNY.

I predict by 2030 they will ask for a study to build a roof over the stadium. Another billion.

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me explain this again. These type of walk throughs are VERY easy to create. Once the Architects complete the computer model of the stadium they can literally select any path you’d like to move around inside the model. The only post-production added to the path are the people, trees, etc (known as ‘entourage’ in rendering vernacular).

With that said, why the Bills have chosen not to release any is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is they’re trying to oversell the interior finishes until all the construction contracts are finalized. If they’re going to cut corners at this point in the process it’ll be in the finishes. 

My suspicion is they haven't settled on their price points yet. Maybe an internal debate between Legends and team officials over how much they can get away charging for tickets and PSLs? Don't be greedy but also don't leave money on the table.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I predict by 2030 they will ask for a study to build a roof over the stadium. Another billion.

I said early on that if they’re smart, they’ll add structure to the build to make adding a dome or cover easier if they want to go that route in the future.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I said early on that if they’re smart, they’ll add structure to the build to make adding a dome or cover easier if they want to go that route in the future.  

Why do that when they can hit up the taxpayers for another stadium later?

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

People always ask architects about this. It really doesn’t work. Codes change. You’d end up wasting a ton of money on foundations, etc, only to find out that they longer ‘calc’ under the new Code. It’s generally easier to build a new independent structure over the top of the old one, like that did in Miami. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

People always ask architects about this. It really doesn’t work. Codes change. You’d end up wasting a ton of money on foundations, etc, only to find out that they no longer ‘calc’ under the new Code. It’s generally easier to build a new independent structure over the top of the old one, like that did in Miami. 

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Yeah. I'm praying (as I do every postseason) that maybe we can finally win it all this year so that when our weather screws us out of a win however many times in the future, it hurts a little bit less. I'm fully aware of the additional cost, but a dome or retractable roof should have been in the design. To me it demonstrates that Terry is not fully committed to winning. Sure, he wants to win, and maybe thinks we can nevertheless, but he isn't fully willing to pull out all the stops in order to do so. But I'm not a billionaire so what do I know.

I am curious if there is any possible way for the current plans to be adapted to include a dome/retractable roof. Wouldn't expect that to be a possibility at all once construction is complete, but maybe this early on in the process there's still a chance.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Yeah. I'm praying (as I do every postseason) that maybe we can finally win it all this year so that when our weather screws us out of a win however many times in the future, it hurts a little bit less. I'm fully aware of the additional cost, but a dome or retractable roof should have been in the design. To me it demonstrates that Terry is not fully committed to winning. Sure, he wants to win, and maybe thinks we can nevertheless, but he isn't fully willing to pull out all the stops in order to do so. But I'm not a billionaire so what do I know.

I am curious if there is any possible way for the current plans to be adapted to include a dome/retractable roof. Wouldn't expect that to be a possibility at all once construction is complete, but maybe this early on in the process there's still a chance.

Read my comment above. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

People always ask architects about this. It really doesn’t work. Codes change. You’d end up wasting a ton of money on foundations, etc, only to find out that they longer ‘calc’ under the new Code. It’s generally easier to build a new independent structure over the top of the old one, like that did in Miami. 

I like it.  They could retrofilt labatt grain silos around the stadium as foundations for the dome.  Labatt Dome at Highmark Stadium

5618472462b83.image.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Could they simply over-calc the foundation to future-proof?

8 hours ago, Peter said:

I would have preferred a dome as well, but who was going to pay for the significant extra cost?

This is SO simple. You take the Billion set aside for covering the 33

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

2030 is my guess too.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, scuba guy said:

That is really nice to see that but seating took a hit but I think it is a much more open look and cleaner

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous...

It's crazy what a lame franchise like the Titans can scrape together versus what a tenured, legacy AFL franchise gets (I don't care if they claim to be the Oilers, they're not!) 😜

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous...

It's crazy what a lame franchise like the Titans can scrape together versus what a tenured, legacy AFL franchise gets (I don't care if they claim to be the Oilers, they're not!) 😜

The Titans fans don't have any tailgating space at the new stadium, it's so hilarious... you call THAT smart planning? It's crazy.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

5 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I'm fully aware of the additional cost, but a dome or retractable roof should have been in the design. To me it demonstrates that Terry is not fully committed to winning. Sure, he wants to win, and maybe thinks we can nevertheless, but he isn't fully willing to pull out all the stops in order to do so. But I'm not a billionaire so what do I know.

100% agree, and it makes me even more annoyed that all of this could've been figured out sooner had they just bit the bullet earlier.

Hundred million dollar renovation band-aids, and kicking the can further down the line put us in a position where we would get less for the cost.

Even accounting for inflation, construction costs & materials have all went up dramatically, as has everything post-COVID. Remember when AT&T Stadium was completed in 2009? People thought it was one of the most insane venues in the world, it spared no expense in amenities, seating (80,000 game day, expandable to 105,000), and with luxury everything.

Accounting for cost over-runs & adjusting for inflation, they spent $1.84 billion. Or more recently, the Vikings got their indoor venue US Bank Stadium for $1.34 billion adjusted for inflation. Yes, I'm aware New York taxes make everything more expensive, but it's still crazy to see $1.7 billion spent on a stadium, only for it not to have a closed roof, lower capacity, and presumably cost significantly more for tickets.

All that whining aside, it's still going to provide a more comfortable & nicer environment for fans, as well as help keep the team firmly rooted in Buffalo. So for that, thanks NY taxpayers, and thanks Kim & Terry!

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

100% agree, and it makes me even more annoyed that all of this could've been figured out sooner had they just bit the bullet earlier.

Hundred million dollar renovation band-aids, and kicking the can further down the line put us in a position where we would get less for the cost.

Even accounting for inflation, construction costs & materials have all went up dramatically, as has everything post-COVID. Remember when AT&T Stadium was completed in 2009? People thought it was one of the most insane venues in the world, it spared no expense in amenities, seating (80,000 game day, expandable to 105,000), and with luxury everything.

Accounting for cost over-runs & adjusting for inflation, they spent $1.84 billion. Or more recently, the Vikings got their indoor venue US Bank Stadium for $1.34 billion adjusted for inflation. Yes, I'm aware New York taxes make everything more expensive, but it's still crazy to see $1.7 billion spent on a stadium, only for it not to have a closed roof, lower capacity, and presumably cost significantly more for tickets.

All that whining aside, it's still going to provide a more comfortable & nicer environment for fans, as well as help keep the team firmly rooted in Buffalo. So for that, thanks NY taxpayers, and thanks Kim & Terry!

Damn I didn't even think about factoring in the cost of the previous band-aids and the covid inflation of construction costs. Now I'm even more annoyed about it lol.

Titans stadium looks like a mall from the outside. Terrible design. Nice inside, except that ceiling is ugly as hell. Similar to LA and the Vikings stadium to a lesser degree, the clear ceiling with all the visible framework is an eyesore. I'd rather just have it open. Thankfully, Buffalo doesn't get hot so there is no reason for a dome.

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Titans stadium looks like a mall from the outside. Terrible design. Nice inside, except that ceiling is ugly as hell. Similar to LA and the Vikings stadium to a lesser degree, the clear ceiling with all the visible framework is an eyesore. I'd rather just have it open. Thankfully, Buffalo doesn't get hot so there is no reason for a dome.

I’m dying to find out how you expect them to support a glass roof spanning an entire football field. 

There was a Buffalo News writer named Jason Wolfe, he did a piece a couple years ago, about how the NFL doesn't want Buffalo to have a dome. It wasn't long after the Pats wind swirl game, and he said the NFL loved it and the ratings it brought. I don't remember the whole article verbatim, but you never know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe Roger and some of the owners sent the message to not have it be a dome?
??

• Like (+1) 1