Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

7 minutes ago, Yantha said:

If he's Jason Peters, will he last to 27?

His comp is Jason Peters like a Myles Murphy comp is Bruce Smith.

In both cases........regardless of underwear olympic numbers they may have put up.......vastly different levels of athleticism on the field.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The one issue I can’t shake is if brown manages to win the job we have a first round talent on the bench

i get this 100%. after rolling the dice on gabe stepping up last year, and it going awful, id rather make an effort  to permaplug a problematic position. if brown wins out, we gotta killer swing. maybe he pushes dion into G. maybe he works his ass off to fight for a guard spot.  I want that OL room ready to murder each other over a tight tight starter battle.

OL play around the league sucks, if we end up with too many riches, you trade one. i want every player feeling 2nd string nipping at their heals. re-earn that starter position every damn week!!!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Bigvinny said:

Jason Peters was drafted as a Tight End. 

And early on, the Bills had Peters covering kickoffs.  He would just run into the wedge and send players flying.  Eventually they discovered he was pretty good at tackle.  As I recall it was his agent who really pulled him away from Buffalo, for reasons that never made sense.

15 hours ago, mrags said:

move Dawkins to LG 

The Bills are paying Dawkins tackle money which >> guard money.  Not to say they won't do that if the tackle would be getting rookie money.  

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Premium OT prospects don’t fall to late round 1.  He’ll be long gone by 27

Right Tackle only players are not "premium OT prospects"

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are paying Dawkins tackle money which >> guard money.  Not to say they won't do that if the tackle would be getting rookie money.  

Dawkins would be 7th in AAV at the guard spot if they moved him now on his current contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but I think he can play left tackle at the next level.

He couldn't play LT at Tennessee. What makes you think he can in the NFL? He played at LT in 2021, they moved him back to the right side in 2022 and there is really no comparison on film. He is significantly better at RT. 

I think he could get you out of a game there if your LT goes down. Or if you have a weak bench and your LT misses 2 or 3 weeks, maybe he could just about hold it down. But he just doesn't have the functional strength or hip bend to play left tackle at a high level IMO. 

9 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Well if it’s a tackle you want and Wright is off the Board Matthew Bergeron, my home boy, is going to be very good imo.

I think Bergeron at right tackle or guard is going to be a very good NFL player. I don't actually think the drop off between Wright and Bergeron is that steep. If you could guarantee me I am getting Bergeron at #59 there is zero chance I'd consider a tackle at #27. The worry is that the drop off after Harrison, Wright and Bergeron (who are my second tier tackles) is significant. So there could well be a run ahead of that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He couldn't play LT at Tennessee. What makes you think he can in the NFL? He played at LT in 2021, they moved him back to the right side in 2022 and there is really no comparison on film. He is significantly better at RT. 

I think he could get you out of a game there if your LT goes down. Or if you have a weak bench and your LT misses 2 or 3 weeks, maybe he could just about hold it down. But he just doesn't have the functional strength or hip bend to play left tackle at a high level IMO. 

I think Bergeron at right tackle or guard is going to be a very good NFL player. I don't actually think the drop off between Wright and Bergeron is that steep. If you could guarantee me I am getting Bergeron at #59 there is zero chance I'd consider a tackle at #27. The worry is that the drop off after Harrison, Wright and Bergeron (who are my second tier tackles) is significant. So there could well be a run ahead of that. 

I really like the aggressiveness that Bergeron shows in his blocking.  He is looking to finish every block, form what I saw.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only team reported to have a pre-draft interview with Bergeron is the Chiefs.  Certainly doesn't mean he is their top pick. But they seem to have a tackle need, and if Wright is gone before 31, the Chiefs could very well take him. 

Edited by Chaos

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The only team reported to have a pre-draft interview with Bergeron is the Chiefs.  Certainly doesn't mean he is their top pick. But they seem to have a tackle need, and if Wright is gone before 31, the Chiefs could very well take him. 

They will not be the only team he has met with though. It just means we don't know who the others are. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A source told NYUP and Syracuse.com that Buffalo will be hosting Tennessee Volunteers offensive tackle Darnell Wright on a top-30 visit.

Wright is considered one of the best tackle prospects in this year’s draft... Wright recently had his pro day at Tennessee and the Bills were in attendance to get an up close look at the prospect. In terms of his athletic traits, Wright has been compared to future Hall of Fame tackle and former Bills tackle Jason Peters.

In his career at Tennessee, Wright played in 47 games and recorded 42 starts while recording over 2,700 total offensive snaps. He made 27 starts at right tackle, two starts at right guard and 13 starts at left tackle. In his final 19 games with the Volunteers, Wright went without allowing a sack.

Wright earned unanimous first-team All-SEC honors as selected by the Associated Press and coaches this season and continued to raise his stock at the Reese’s Senior Bowl where he was named the American team’s OL Practice Player-of-Week. The award was voted on by his peers on the American defensive line and linebacker groups.

“Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college.”

Is he out of reach? It seems with these credentials the Bills would have to trade up to get him.

Appreciate you sharing out my work, but please remember to add a link to the article in the future. https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2023/04/source-buffalo-bills-to-host-tennessee-ot-darnell-wright-on-top-30-visit.html

Hope all is well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They will not be the only team he has met with though. It just means we don't know who the others are. 

My point was pretty good chance Bergeron is gone at 59.  I do think one of Bergeron or Joe Tippman is available at 59.  I would be very happy with either 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

But, but, but, I was told not to base a pick on a RAS score.😁

yes, If you base a pick off of RAS, you’re an idiot.  

Did you happen to look at Spencer Browns RAS score?  How about Tommy Doyle?  Boogie Basham?  Ed oliver?  

How about Stefon Diggs?  Hyde?  Poyer? Tre? Milano, Taron?  

RAS is a nice metric- you shouldn’t base a pick off their RAS score.  I will 💯 stand by that.  

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.02fedcb3b7965923ca23651b39872386.png

A superb if subtle post, as I think you are saying that the Bills' focus on the athletic qualities of players, and so their potential to develop, has been a fundamental flaw in the Bills' leadership. This seems especially true of the offensive lineman.

All you need to add to your post is "and he can play anywhere on the line" and it would be even more complete in its criticism.

Hopefully someone in the Bills' organization has the same astute analysis as you. Or we will one day lament the wasted years when we had the best quarterback to ever play the game but gave him offensive lines, full of great physical specimens capable of playing multiple positions, but incapable of protecting the quarterback and opening holes for the running backs.

Awesome post!

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

A superb if subtle post, as I think you are saying that the Bills focus on the athletic qualities of players, and so their potential to develop, has been a fundamental flaw in the Bills' leadership. This seems especially true of the offensive lineman.

All you need to add to your post is "and he can play anywhere on the line" and it would be even more complete in its criticism.

Hopefully someone in the Bills organization has the same astute analysis as you or we will one day lament the wasted years when we had the best quarterback to ever play the game but gave him offensive lines, full of great physical specimens capable of playing multiple positions, but incapable of protecting the quarterback and opening holes for the running backs.

Awesome post!

You give me too much credit.  Just hopeful, the Beane is correct that Brown will make progress this year, in year three of his potential.  But with the advantage of the rookie contracts, the goal should be to get rookies who contribute instantly, rather than to develop them for the next team that signs them as a free agent. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 4/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, wppete said:

Threat breakdown! Thanks! He’s my favourite OL this year and if he is available at #27 we have to draft him….. Can Spencer Brown be moved to guard? 

Yes I'd draft him at 27 over any WR not named JSN.  And no Spencer is too tall to play guard.

• Like (+1) 2

Taking Josh out of the equation, the 2 positions on offense that can derail the 2023 season are OT and WR IMO.

An injury to Dawkins along with the same play from Spencer Brown would be very, very bad.

If Doyle and Q end up playing significant time, I pity Josh.

If Diggs was to miss a lot of games the same can be said for the WR room.

Draft a WR and OT with 2 of the 1st 3 picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If Brown stinks again next year maybe they will be justified?

Yeah maybe. Depends on who we draft in the first and how they do. But I don’t think Beane and co are done with Brown. Maybe they want to give him a full healthy year. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

You give me too much credit.  Just hopeful, the Beane is correct that Brown will make progress this year, in year three of his potential.  But with the advantage of the rookie contracts, the goal should be to get rookies who contribute instantly, rather than to develop them for the next team that signs them as a free agent. 

Maybe this will be Bashams year too!   Drafted before RAS god brown- why not start Basham with hopes that this is the year he finally becomes a real player?

It’s ok to risk the health of our franchises’ best player ever by trotting Brown out there for a 3rd year in a row after being TERRIBLE in his first 2 years.  Basham hasn’t been good…. but he’s been a better DE than Brown has been RT.  Why not start him?  

Let the record show, both have tremendous RAS scores.  Upside ceiling with a floor that is bordering the earths core. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Maybe this will be Bashams year too!   Drafted before RAS god brown- why not start Basham with hopes that this is the year he finally becomes a real player?

It’s ok to risk the health of our franchises’ best player ever by trotting Brown out there for a 3rd year in a row after being TERRIBLE in his first 2 years.  Basham hasn’t been good…. but he’s been a better DE than Brown has been RT.  Why not start him?  

Let the record show, both have tremendous RAS scores.  Upside ceiling with a floor that is bordering the earths core. 

RAS scores are overrated! 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah maybe. Depends on who we draft in the first and how they do. But I don’t think Beane and co are done with Brown. Maybe they want to give him a full healthy year. 

The obsession with the right tackle position on here is just another case of TSW obsession with positions that don't really move the needle wrt wins and losses.

• Agree 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

The obsession with the right tackle position on here is just another case of TSW obsession with positions that don't really move the needle wrt wins and losses.

Who do you think is likely to be there at 27 that would move the needle? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Who do you think is likely to be there at 27 that would move the needle? 

The usual premium positions.......LT, pass rusher, receiver or CB.   LT is likely out of the question at 27 but there are options at the other 3.   You can't cover up those positions they are edge/island positions where an individual player can really make a huge difference for the team.

So there are plenty of options that don't include guards, runnin' bax,  RT's,  off-ball LB's or safeties. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.