Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

A source told NYUP and Syracuse.com that Buffalo will be hosting Tennessee Volunteers offensive tackle Darnell Wright on a top-30 visit.

Wright is considered one of the best tackle prospects in this year’s draft... Wright recently had his pro day at Tennessee and the Bills were in attendance to get an up close look at the prospect. In terms of his athletic traits, Wright has been compared to future Hall of Fame tackle and former Bills tackle Jason Peters.

In his career at Tennessee, Wright played in 47 games and recorded 42 starts while recording over 2,700 total offensive snaps. He made 27 starts at right tackle, two starts at right guard and 13 starts at left tackle. In his final 19 games with the Volunteers, Wright went without allowing a sack.

Wright earned unanimous first-team All-SEC honors as selected by the Associated Press and coaches this season and continued to raise his stock at the Reese’s Senior Bowl where he was named the American team’s OL Practice Player-of-Week. The award was voted on by his peers on the American defensive line and linebacker groups.

“Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college.”

Is he out of reach? It seems with these credentials the Bills would have to trade up to get him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A source told NYUP and Syracuse.com that Buffalo will be hosting Tennessee Volunteers offensive tackle Darnell Wright on a top-30 visit.

Wright is considered one of the best tackle prospects in this year’s draft... Wright recently had his pro day at Tennessee and the Bills were in attendance to get an up close look at the prospect. In terms of his athletic traits, Wright has been compared to future Hall of Fame tackle and former Bills tackle Jason Peters.

In his career at Tennessee, Wright played in 47 games and recorded 42 starts while recording over 2,700 total offensive snaps. He made 27 starts at right tackle, two starts at right guard and 13 starts at left tackle. In his final 19 games with the Volunteers, Wright went without allowing a sack.

Wright earned unanimous first-team All-SEC honors as selected by the Associated Press and coaches this season and continued to raise his stock at the Reese’s Senior Bowl where he was named the American team’s OL Practice Player-of-Week. The award was voted on by his peers on the American defensive line and linebacker groups.

“Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college.”

Is he out of reach? It seems with these credentials the Bills would have to trade up to get him.

This draft is fairly deep in talent at OT.  He will definitely be on Beane's radar but whether he'll be there at #27 or if we take an OT in the first round is another story.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I just don't believe the Bills are out on Brown. Also how many times in the past have the Bills taken an Olineman in the 1st instead of targeting a skill position that they can have for 5 yrs.

FWIW, NFLDraftbuzz has Wright at no. 46....while Darnell Washington T 27 and Campbell at 28.

49 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I just don't believe the Bills are out on Brown. Also how many times in the past have the Bills taken an Olineman in the 1st instead of targeting a skill position that they can have for 5 yrs.

FWIW, NFLDraftbuzz has Wright at no. 46....while Darnell Washington T 27 and Campbell at 28.

Uh, Eric Wood in 2009, who became a very good center until injuries forced him to retire?

Before that..Mike Williams...21 years ago.

Not a very large sample. 

This is a pretty good breakdown of the good and the bad.  More good than bad.

I kinda think he's not going to be there at 27 now. 

We aren't the only team that needs help at RT.

Edited by CookieG
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I believe we can. And my guess is, we will see it this season. 😉

Well. We agree on that. Assuming we have a good RG next to him. I’m not 100% on what they plan on doing. Personally, I’d rather take one of the top Guards in the draft than a tackle. Or if you managed to get Wright, or Dewand Jones. Or someone dominant at LT and move Dawkins at LG and I firmly believe you would have upgraded 2 spots on the OL with one being drafted. 

All I want is for Beane and the boys to be pro-active with the OL.  It also means everything doesn't have to be done at once.

Moves were made in FA for the IOL.  The weak points are the OTs.  Brown deserves a shot at RT but NEEDS real competition.

Dawkins will be in his last year of his contract next season.  Doyle is a complete unknown and Q is a JAG.

OT (one who competes at RT) is the need right now.  Even if Spencer Brown improves and wins the job over a rookie (this season)

it keeps the competitive pressure up.  IOL future questions all revolve around Morse and the C position.  That can be addressed

next season.

Draft the OT this year and let the competition begin.  Let Doyle and Q compete for the last OT spot and do the same for the IOL

next draft.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Uh, Eric Wood in 2009, who became a very good center until injuries forced him to retire?

Before that..Mike Williams...21 years ago.

Not a very large sample. 

This is a pretty good breakdown of the good and the bad.  More good than bad.

I kinda think he's not going to be there at 27 now. 

We aren't the only team that needs help at RT.

Then as far back as Reuben Brown?

As it sits today,  my guess is Bates is back at RG. Definitely not my preference, but can understand some consistency would be nice.

If it was my choice between OT's, I go Wright. He can play LT, RT and even G. Jones is a monster but is really only a RT (imo) although would be wild if he could play RG (crazy, I know). But if people think Brown could move inside,  why not Jones?🤔

To move Dawkins, it would require a large upgrade imo and I don't see that available where we are picking. Not against it, just don't think any rookie we could pick would be better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

As it sits today,  my guess is Bates is back at RG. Definitely not my preference, but can understand some consistency would be nice.

If it was my choice between OT's, I go Wright. He can play LT, RT and even G. Jones is a monster but is really only a RT (imo) although would be wild if he could play RG (crazy, I know). But if people think Brown could move inside,  why not Jones?🤔

To move Dawkins, it would require a large upgrade imo and I don't see that available where we are picking. Not against it, just don't think any rookie we could pick would be better.

That is nice to hear.  As to Dawkins, he no doubt is the LT this season.  Whether or not he gets another long extension next year is debatable.

I am curious as to what kind of shape he will be in at the start of camp.  The thing is, to be pro-active means having options.  A decision on

Dion is right around the corner along with Morse.  If a multi-purpose OL player is available this draft, go and get him.

Whether it's Wright or someone else, I'd be happier going tackle in the first round. Offense is more important today and getting cheaper tackle labor through the draft vs. free agency will be more cost effective than getting cheaper MLB labor.

Draft the higher-paid position all other things being equal or close.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is nice to hear.  As to Dawkins, he no doubt is the LT this season.  Whether or not he gets another long extension next year is debatable.

I am curious as to what kind of shape he will be in at the start of camp.  The thing is, to be pro-active means having options.  A decision on

Dion is right around the corner along with Morse.  If a multi-purpose OL player is available this draft, go and get him.

I thought his contract is through 24'? If so I would guess he is here for at least 2 more seasons. So unless they need the money now, I don't expect an extension yet.

He has had a tough couple of years, but I think he comes to camp in shape this year. Just a gut feeling. 

As to Morse, I actually thought he would have been a cap casualty and Bates was going to move to C. Glad I was wrong.

I do think they will get a late rnd C/OG during the draft and get him ready to backup or start for the 24' season and if they go early OL, I prefer someone with G/T flexibility moreso than C/G.

Still have a couple of OL players to keep an eye on. Doyle, Van Dermark, Anderson. Not sure if they are possible options over the next year or so. Depth/BU or potential starters? 🤔

2 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I thought his contract is through 24'? If so I would guess he is here for at least 2 more seasons. So unless they need the money now, I don't expect an extension yet.

He has had a tough couple of years, but I think he comes to camp in shape this year. Just a gut feeling. 

As to Morse, I actually thought he would have been a cap casualty and Bates was going to move to C. Glad I was wrong.

I do think they will get a late rnd C/OG during the draft and get him ready to backup or start for the 24' season and if they go early OL, I prefer someone with G/T flexibility moreso than C/G.

Still have a couple of OL players to keep an eye on. Doyle, Van Dermark, Anderson. Not sure if they are possible options over the next year or so. Depth/BU or potential starters? 🤔

I'm rooting for Van Denmark. I want to see his name on the back of a Bills' jersey. It's got to be intimidating when a whole country is protecting your qb. He's an OT. If he was a guard he'd have to be Van Switzerland.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm rooting for Van Denmark. I want to see his name on the back of a Bills' jersey. It's got to be intimidating when a whole country is protecting your qb. He's an OT. If he was a guard he'd have to be Van Switzerland.

Dawand Jones would be more like a small country.  Van Dermark is more like Florida,  Long/Lean and a little attitude.😉

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Dawkins is through 2024.  My point is next season will be the extension time.  Cap is tight again and if they are going to extend him to play LT

it will be done next spring.  Morse, now that he is playing again just makes next year a prime candidate for a cap casualty.  I was looking at G/C

this year but after the McGovern/Edwards signing that for sure is being pushed out until next spring.

Thus, my point of an OT this draft.  If Beane balks on an OT, it means all his faith in on Spencer as the starter and Doyle as the prime LT backup.

I think it would be a big risk.

• Like (+1) 2

Really hoping at least one of the Darnell's (Wright, Washington) end up a Bills draft pick.

It is good to see that the Bills have now met with both of them, seeing that McBeane doesn't usually pick a player in the first round that they have not had a meeting with.

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Really hoping at least one of the Darnell's (Wright, Washington) end up a Bills draft pick.

It is good to see that the Bills have now met with both of them, seeing that McBeane doesn't usually pick a player in the first round that they have not had a meeting with.

Wouldn't mind both, but highly doubtful both the first and second round pick are dedicated to the offensive side of the ball. I say build a fortress around Josh Allen.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Bills could’ve had the real Jason Peters. Just kidding 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I say build a fortress around Josh Allen.

Yep.  The best way to beat the Chiefs and Bengals is not a better defense, it is to give your best player(Josh Allen) all the protection and weapons you can, and let him go out there and out-score them.

That is not the way football used to be, but that's the way it is now....Bills need to recognize and embrace this way of thinking, IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Jason Peters signed with the Bills as an undrafted free agent...

We know. 

"He played college football at Arkansas and signed with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2004, originally as a tight end."

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

If Wright is as good as people say, he is worthy of using a 4th round pick to trade up into the early 20s to get, if he is still there…👍

I would gladly give up a 4th to get a tackle that may be the best in the class. Draft MLB in the second, WR in the 3rd and that's a good draft right there.

12 minutes ago, Special K said:

Yep.  The best way to beat the Chiefs and Bengals is not a better defense, it is to give your best player(Josh Allen) all the protection and weapons you can, and let him go out there and out-score them.

That is not the way football used to be, but that's the way it is now....Bills need to recognize and embrace this way of thinking, IMO.

For the most part, I agree. Build around Josh. Build the Line. Scoring will come.

Or at least fix one of the lines. No more goofing around. Pick one and FIX IT.😁

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The one issue I can’t shake is if brown manages to win the job we have a first round talent on the bench

The guy can play both sides. If Brown ends up elevating his game, at worst we have one great backup tackle; at best we have Dawkin's replacement in a year or two for a lot less money. Great problem to have: too many good tackles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.