Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Do you think Josh Allen will need elbow surgery?

Mid-Feb it was being reported that he would not. I have a PhD in literature, so I am not the kind of doctor who could have an informed opinion, nor do I know how much to trust the reports that have suggested the injury will heal without surgery. I have been presuming he won't need it.

Edited by Dr. Who

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Mid-Feb it was being reported that he would not. I have a PhD in literature, so I am not the kind of doctor who could have an informed opinion, nor do I know how much to trust the reports that have suggested the injury will heal without surgery. I have been presuming he won't need it.

If he needed surgery, he already would’ve had it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

If he needed surgery, he already would’ve had it

There's a slight chance that 4merper4mer's question was only intended as a sly joke since we've been having a conversation in a different thread about how the subject of threads often wanders into something off-topic.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

What’s your all time favorite movie?

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What’s your all time favorite movie?

When I suggested to John from Riverside that there was a slight chance your inquiry was a sly joke the adjectival modifier "slight" was intended as an ironically understated expression meaning "almost certainly." As I am equally certain you don't really want to know my favorite movie, I shant explain why I do not have one uniquely singular choice though I often list To Have and Have Not, Babette's Feast, Wild Strawberries, The Black Stallion, and Kieslowski's Blue from his colors trilogy as films I admire.

Edited by Dr. Who

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

When I suggested to John from Riverside that there was a slight chance your inquiry was a sly joke the adjectival modifier "slight" was intended as an ironically understated expression meaning "almost certainly." As I am equally certain you don't really want to know my favorite movie, I shant explain why I do not really have one uniquely singular choice though I often list To Have and Have Not, Babette's Feast, Wild Strawberries, The Black Stallion, and Kieslowski's Blue from his colors trilogy as films I admire.

Oh that Babette! She could really knock it back, couldn’t she? I think I saw that one on the Food Network. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Oh that Babette! She could really knock it back, couldn’t she? I think I saw that one on the Food Network. 

The Danish director Gabriel Axel adapted the screenplay from a short story by Isak Dinesen. The culinary theme has metaphysical implications. Criterion has an excellent DVD.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The Danish director Gabriel Axel adapted the screenplay from a short story by Isak Dinesen. The culinary theme has metaphysical implications. Criterion has an excellent DVD.

Hmm, might be two different Babettes. Just guessing….   😋

Did you ever read Henry and the Clubhouse? I did a book report on that two years in a row. 

I am grateful to some of the people here who have informed opinions and share them. This is learning season for me. It’s hard for me to tell much based on highlights because, well, they are just highlights. Guys can also look good, but I don’t really know what the best scheme fits are.  I see OT ranked in different ways, and I have no idea who would be the best fit, if we even go that way. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I do not recollect Henry and the Clubhouse. My favorite childhood text is Alexander and the Magic Mouse but the illustrations by Phillipe Fix are what make the book special. If you search out the thread on David Edwards from last week, on page 12 @MrEpsYtown has a nice explanation of some of the offensive line players he thinks fit with Kromer's preferences and some who do not. Gunner Bill has some well argued views on various potential options though not collected in a single post.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A source told NYUP and Syracuse.com that Buffalo will be hosting Tennessee Volunteers offensive tackle Darnell Wright on a top-30 visit.

Wright is considered one of the best tackle prospects in this year’s draft... Wright recently had his pro day at Tennessee and the Bills were in attendance to get an up close look at the prospect. In terms of his athletic traits, Wright has been compared to future Hall of Fame tackle and former Bills tackle Jason Peters.

In his career at Tennessee, Wright played in 47 games and recorded 42 starts while recording over 2,700 total offensive snaps. He made 27 starts at right tackle, two starts at right guard and 13 starts at left tackle. In his final 19 games with the Volunteers, Wright went without allowing a sack.

Wright earned unanimous first-team All-SEC honors as selected by the Associated Press and coaches this season and continued to raise his stock at the Reese’s Senior Bowl where he was named the American team’s OL Practice Player-of-Week. The award was voted on by his peers on the American defensive line and linebacker groups.

“Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college.”

Is he out of reach? It seems with these credentials the Bills would have to trade up to get him.

I've saw a mock draft today where Buffalo could have their pick of Broderick Jones, Anton Harrison or Darnell Wright at #27. All the top receivers were gone in that mock.  I saw another mock where Buffalo had their pick of Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Quentin Johnston and Zay Flowers, but the above three OTs were all gone.  I'm sure there are mocks out there where none of those WRs or OTs make it to #27.  The bottom line is, nobody really knows how the draft will fall.  The next time any so call pundit gets all the picks in the first round will be the first time it happens.  Odds are most will miss half or more of the picks.  

6 hours ago, wppete said:

Threat breakdown! Thanks! He’s my favourite OL this year and if he is available at #27 we have to draft him….. Can Spencer Brown be moved to guard? 

Spencer Brown could be moved to swing tackle.    I guess theoretically he could be moved to guard but he’d have to really work to get his pads low.

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Spencer Brown could be moved to swing tackle.    I guess theoretically he could be moved to guard but he’d have to really work to get his pads low.

Or he could move to LT and Dawkins could move inside 

1 minute ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Correct, he was initially a tight end but I don’t think he was drafted, IIRC, he was an undrafted free agent.

Yeah I posted that earlier. Originally a TE. Then he got a shot at RT first. Was a year or two before he became LT 

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

It seems we'd need to move up for Wright.

Brown should be tackle depth, IMO.

Is he really going that high though? I’ve seen it all over could be had in 2nd rd. Not at 59. But a trade down maybe 

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Wasn't Doyle or Brown a TE as well. Maybe high school though.

Yeah I don’t know about them. Maybe Doyle 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Hmm, might be two different Babettes. Just guessing….   😋

Did you ever read Henry and the Clubhouse? I did a book report on that two years in a row. 

It’s hard for me to tell much based on highlights because, well, they are just highlights. Guys can also look good, but I don’t really know what the best scheme fits are.  I see OT ranked in different ways, and I have no idea who would be the best fit, if we even go that way. 

Yes, don't watch highlights. They tell you nothing. Watch condensed games or stuff like Tennessee OL vs Alabama Defense and other various breakdowns:

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I do not recollect Henry and the Clubhouse. My favorite childhood text is Alexander and the Magic Mouse but the illustrations by Phillipe Fix are what make the book special.

Hey! Take off the wire-rimmed glasses and step away from the lectern... or take it to the Arts, Music and Literature forum. I come here to breathe from my mouth and groom my knuckle hairs (by scraping them on the ground).

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I posted that earlier. Originally a TE. Then he got a shot at RT first. Was a year or two before he became LT 

And before that he was destroying opponents on the kick coverage team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Well. We agree on that. Assuming we have a good RG next to him. I’m not 100% on what they plan on doing. Personally, I’d rather take one of the top Guards in the draft than a tackle. Or if you managed to get Wright, or Dewand Jones. Or someone dominant at LT and move Dawkins at LG and I firmly believe you would have upgraded 2 spots on the OL with one being drafted. 

I'd really like to see additions at both OT and OG in this draft. 

Perfect world, the additions of Edwards and McGovern are "all that".

• Agree 1

Just now, inaugural balls said:

I'd really like to see additions at both OT and OG in this draft. 

Perfect world, the additions of Edwards and McGovern are "all that".

Agree. Give me OG in the first then wr in the 2nd. Then back to OT in the 3rd or 4th 

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

Is he really going that high though? I’ve seen it all over could be had in 2nd rd. Not at 59. But a trade down maybe 

Yeah I don’t know about them. Maybe Doyle 

You know, a trade down (if we have a partner) would enable us to really go to town on the OL and perhaps at better value.

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

Especially in this draft where it seems muddled with how players are slotted. To your point, we may be in a good position to drop some in a trade down while adding more picks.

More picks. We still have holes at backup spots too. We need bodies. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well if it’s a tackle you want and Wright is off the Board Matthew Bergeron, my home boy, is going to be very good imo.

Fella on this board I respect thinks he's a guard only at the NFL level, but likes him. He's one of my favorites.

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

3rd round hopefully 

I wish, but I dont think so. No later than late second imo - and even then.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella on this board I respect thinks he's a guard only at the NFL level, but likes him. He's one of my favorites.

JMO but I think he can play left tackle at the next level.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

I wish, but I dont think so. No later than late second imo - and even then.

JMO but I think he can play left tackle at the next level.

Well. He’s definitely not a 1st rounder. He may not be there when we pick in the 3rd round but I’d put money on it he’s there when we pick late in the 2nd 

9 hours ago, mrags said:

I see it every week we play that Dawkins isn’t that good at LT. So I guess we’ll just have to figure something out. 

Dawkins is very good. Not elite but very good. 

We have to figure some things out, but not at LT.

The question is whether and how deeply they believe in Brown at RT. My sense is that they believe in  him deeply enough that they don't want to draft a high-rounder to compete with him. But I could definitely be wrong about that.

EDIT:  I'm also generally a big fan of getting more picks.

Edited by Thurman#1

There's no question an argument could be made for taking a different position at pick 27 BUT OT is a sneaky need and a great value as it's one of the premium positions.

For the sake of discussion they draft Wright. Now he competes with Brown... the position will probably be improved over last year regardless of who wins. The loser of the competition is now our swing tackle. Getting reps at LOT is never a bad thing especially with possible injuries and Dawkins' possible departure after 2024.

OR, the loser cross trains at guard. There's a possibility that the loser of Wright vs Brown will be a better guard than anyone else we have.

Regardless of how the puzzle pieces fall, the idea of Josh Allen having an excellent O-line is one almost probably scenario of drafting Wright.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.