Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

On 4/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

i get this 100%. after rolling the dice on gabe stepping up last year, and it going awful, id rather make an effort  to permaplug a problematic position. if brown wins out, we gotta killer swing. maybe he pushes dion into G. maybe he works his ass off to fight for a guard spot.  I want that OL room ready to murder each other over a tight tight starter battle.

OL play around the league sucks, if we end up with too many riches, you trade one. i want every player feeling 2nd string nipping at their heals. re-earn that starter position every damn week!!!

I don't think this can be over-emphasized.  The worst thing that happens if we have a promising rookie and Spencer Brown starts pass protecting like his jock's on fire and blocking impeccably will put it out, is we have a very valuable trade piece.

It did not go unnoticed to me that in 2021, Dion Dawkins kinda sucked at the start of the season after recovering from Covid.  Then he missed a game week 15, Spencer Brown started ahead of him at LT in Week 16 then got hurt.  Dawkins came in and played extremely well, leaving no doubt who the Big Dawg at LT was.

Competition is good

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think this can be over-emphasized.  The worst thing that happens if we have a promising rookie and Spencer Brown starts pass protecting like his jock's on fire and blocking impeccably will put it out, is we have a very valuable trade piece.

It did not go unnoticed to me that in 2021, Dion Dawkins kinda sucked at the start of the season after recovering from Covid.  Then he missed a game week 15, Spencer Brown started ahead of him at LT in Week 16 then got hurt.  Dawkins came in and played extremely well, leaving no doubt who the Big Dawg at LT was.

Competition is good

Iron sharpens iron 100%. Competition is great. But imo you should never draft a first round pick for competition. Second or third round? Absolutely. If Brown beats him out it is a wasted pick. And, imo, there is no universe in which a RT is a very valuable trade chip. QBs, LTs, pass rushers, and offensive weapons are valuable trade chips imo. 

43 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Iron sharpens iron 100%. Competition is great. But imo you should never draft a first round pick for competition. Second or third round? Absolutely. If Brown beats him out it is a wasted pick. And, imo, there is no universe in which a RT is a very valuable trade chip. QBs, LTs, pass rushers, and offensive weapons are valuable trade chips imo. 

Maybe I stuck my foot in a thread where everyone is stumping for a 1st round pick at RT.  I dunno that I am, and I dunno enough about Darnell Wright.  If a guy is strictly a RT, I would agree with you, that's not a hugely valuable trade chip. 

But there are several recent instances of guys who were playing RT for one team, got their shot to show what they could do at LT, and then demanded a trade to keep playing LT (Orlando Brown of course being one). 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Maybe I stuck my foot in a thread where everyone is stumping for a 1st round pick at RT.  I dunno that I am, and I dunno enough about Darnell Wright.  If a guy is strictly a RT, I would agree with you, that's not a hugely valuable trade chip. 

But there are several recent instances of guys who were playing RT for one team, got their shot to show what they could do at LT, and then demanded a trade to keep playing LT (Orlando Brown of course being one). 

Gotcha. I suppose it could work out that way. I would hope that if they draft Wright he would beat Brown outright. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gotcha. I suppose it could work out that way. I would hope that if they draft Wright he would beat Brown outright. 

They'd have to give him Brown's spot. What are they gonna say?   Well, we thought he would beat out Spencer, but we'll have to give him time to acclimate to the NFL level.....or better yet, We felt that he could be an all pro guard...so it made sense.

You spend 1st rd. picks on can't miss LT's. You don't throw your current starter at RT away after he had no off season last year and is going into his 2nd year with his 2nd OL coach and 2nd O.C. To me that's just stupid....plus Wright ain't gonna be there anyway.

I would rather pick the other Darnell.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 3

Dude can play Tackle or Guard. It’s not a wasted pick taking one of the best offensive lineman in a good O line draft. Honestly best case scenario is drafting him lights a fire under Browns butt and he wins the RT job while Wright takes one of the guard spots. Then McGovern and Bates fight for the other guard spot and then when when Morse retires one of them takes his spot if we don’t find someone better in the draft this or next year. Also as Dawkins gets more expensive and older it would be nice to have an heir apparent already working on our line. 

I hope Wright falls to us and is the pick. He will only make our team better and protecting Josh is priority #1. You can never have too many good o linemen

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

Dude can play Tackle or Guard. It’s not a wasted pick taking one of the best offensive lineman in a good O line draft. Honestly best case scenario is drafting him lights a fire under Browns butt and he wins the RT job while Wright takes one of the guard spots. Then McGovern and Bates fight for the other guard spot and then when when Morse retires one of them takes his spot if we don’t find someone better in the draft this or next year. Also as Dawkins gets more expensive and older it would be nice to have an heir apparent already working on our line. 

I hope Wright falls to us and is the pick. He will only make our team better and protecting Josh is priority #1. You can never have too many good o linemen

I sure as hell prefer that result than taking a LB at 27.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree OP. He'll be long gone by pick 27. Beane's strategy seems to be to sign bad offensive linemen and hope some of them suddenly have a breakout year. I don't think that's going to work and I fear he will pass on an OL in round 1 in favor of a WR. I'll be ecstatic if we land this guy or his equal. We need to upgrade both G spots and we need a huge upgrade at RT if we're serious about winning it all.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The obsession with the right tackle position on here is just another case of TSW obsession with positions that don't really move the needle wrt wins and losses.

Lol. The quality of a right tackle does not relate to a team's wins or losses!?

Well, only true if you mean that any one player cannot win by himself.

As  a right tackle is a vital part of a team and of an offense.

4 hours ago, balln said:

yall trippn. hes going anywhere from #9 to 19. He wont make it past PIT. He was dominant in SEC. And he dominated at senior bowl. And he tested super athletic. not gonna be there at 27. gonna have to trade up

You’re exactly right. Bizarre that some fans are only now considering this.

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No chance

I don't mean this as a knock on you, but every year the draft falls differently than all the pundits who spend full time watching it believe it will.

So I don't know how one can confidently predict "no chance", or "absolutely".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't mean this as a knock on you, but every year the draft falls differently than all the pundits who spend full time watching it believe it will.

So I don't know how one can confidently predict "no chance", or "absolutely".

Right-  there’s a chance- there’s also a chance that Jalen Carter falls to us, so I shouldn’t say “No chance” to him either.  

next time I’ll say there’s no chance in my opinion….which I thought was implied, but isn’t always I suppose

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Right-  there’s a chance- there’s also a chance that Jalen Carter falls to us, so I shouldn’t say “No chance” to him either.  

next time I’ll say there’s no chance in my opinion….which I thought was implied, but isn’t always I suppose

I understand that's sarcasm, but I think the chance that a guy who is being projected as a RT only in the NFL (despite starting a season at LT) and whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darnell-wright/32005752-4915-3639-216c-bcc7afd9f5d5

has more of a chance to be there at the end of the first round than a guy whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-carter/32004341-5265-6628-f264-d042e762bc39

I'm aware it's your opinion, I'm disputing the wisdom of an opinion with such absolute nature on a guy like Wright.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I understand that's sarcasm, but I think the chance that a guy who is being projected as a RT only in the NFL (despite starting a season at LT) and whose draft profile reads like this

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darnell-wright/32005752-4915-3639-216c-bcc7afd9f5d5

has more of a chance to be there at the end of the first round than a guy whose draft profile reads like this

I'm aware it's your opinion, I'm disputing it.

Sounds good-  put your money where your mouth is.  My $100 to your $75 that Wright is gone by 27.  

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Semantics is all fun and games until money is involved. You're going to scare @HOUSE. I don't think he even gambles with monopoly money.

There really isn’t another way to respond.  Posting links and scouting reports doesn’t prove anything. The scouting reports don’t take into consideration the other talent competing for the 27 spots.  I’m not going to waste my time on a back and forth about a topic that can only be proven on draft day.  It’s an opportunity to make some money.  

it’s a weak draft and the league is really lacking in offensive line play, probably more than any other unit.  I can’t see a way that he lasts til 27 when compared to the other talent on the board.  

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sounds good-  put your money where your mouth is.  My $100 to your $75 that Wright is gone by 27.  

I appreciate the invitation, but I don't bet money.  Period.  Ever.  Never even bought a lottery ticket.

I'd be happy to make a "NewEra was correct" post if that pleases you.

Edited by Beck Water

In a normal year I think the chances of Wright sliding out of round 1 would be pretty high. We have been down this road before. Jawaan Taylor and Teven Jenkins spring to mind. If NFL teams reach a consensus that you can't play left tackle, you are at risk of not hearing your name called on day 1. To that extent I see where @Beck Water is coming from. 

But in 2019 when Taylor came out I had 25 either 1st round or 1st/2nd borderline grades. In 2021 when Jenkins I had 22 either 1st round or 1st/2nd borderline grades. The difference this year is I have 16. And while I am not saying I am the absolute authority on these matters the overwhelming majority of graders would agree that this class is considerably weaker at the top than 2019 or 2021. And that does reduce the chances IMO, so equally I see why @NewEra says no chance. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I appreciate the invitation, but I don't bet money.  Period.  Ever.  Never even bought a lottery ticket.

I'd be happy to make a "NewEra was correct" post if that pleases you.

I’m good.  I can’t help but try and make some money off of other people’s convictions.  

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In a normal year I think the chances of Wright sliding out of round 1 would be pretty high. We have been down this road before. Jawaan Taylor and Teven Jenkins spring to mind. If NFL teams reach a consensus that you can't play left tackle, you are at risk of not hearing your name called on day 1. To that extent I see where @Beck Water is coming from. 

But in 2019 when Taylor came out I had 25 either 1st round or 1st/2nd borderline grades. In 2021 when Jenkins I had 22 either 1st round or 1st/2nd borderline grades. The difference this year is I have 16. And while I am not saying I am the absolute authority on these matters the overwhelming majority of graders would agree that this class is considerably weaker at the top than 2019 or 2021. And that does reduce the chances IMO, so equally I see why @NewEra says no chance. 

the weak class is compounded by the fact that the other tackle prospects are mostly also right tackles.  If there were some 2nd round prospects that were LTs OT could push wright out.  But I don’t see any except, maybe Bergeron. And he’s probably much better at RT or OG as well.  I think he goes early to mid 2nd based on the class 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m good.  I can’t help but try and make some money off of other people’s convictions.  

the weak class is compounded by the fact that the other tackle prospects are mostly also right tackles.  If there were some 2nd round prospects that were LTs OT could push wright out.  But I don’t see any except, maybe Bergeron. And he’s probably much better at RT or OG as well.  I think he goes early to mid 2nd based on the class 

Yea I think Bergeron is a RT or guard. I think Harrison could maybe play LT down the line but agree he is a RT only guy as a rookie too and even Dawand Jones (who I wouldn't take in a month of Sundays in round 1) is a RT only guy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can't blame ya for trying.  Just making it clear I'll be glad to give you your "propers" if you're correct, but I don't bet $

I'm remembering people swearing that Creed Humphrey was a 1st round pick and in fact would be gone before #30, only to see him available at #61.

I take the whole draft board/mock draft thing with a healthy salt grinder.  Don't get me wrong, it's fun and I admire the work folks like GunnerBill put into it, but year after year, we see that outside the top-10 or so picks in the first round, teams value players quite a bit differently than fans and pundits.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Can't blame ya for trying.  Just making it clear I'll be glad to give you your "propers" if you're correct, but I don't bet $

I'm remembering people swearing that Creed Humphrey was a 1st round pick and in fact would be gone before #30, only to see him available at #61.

I take the whole draft board/mock draft thing with a healthy salt grinder.  Don't get me wrong, it's fun and I admire the work folks like GunnerBill put into it, but year after year, we see that outside the top-10 or so picks in the first round, teams value players quite a bit differently than fans and pundits.

I hear ya.  I’m not usually one to make guarantees as anything can happen, but I just don’t think it’s possible for Wright to fall to us considering the competition to be selected

I’d really rather draft a guy that projects as a Left Tackle.  Dawkins is average at best and is going to get paid like he’s elite.  I’ll take a pass on another 20M/yr contract.  One would HOPE, the prospect would take over the RT job for this year and slide to LT when Dawkins moves on.  Brown is a decent Swing Tackle, I really don’t see him moving inside, if anything it would seem playing from a deeper position would be more likely to aggravate his injury.  If that’s not the case, then his nasty side might be fun in the run game.

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’d really rather draft a guy that projects as a Left Tackle.  Dawkins is average at best and is going to get paid like he’s elite.  I’ll take a pass on another 20M/yr contract.  One would HOPE, the prospect would take over the RT job for this year and slide to LT when Dawkins moves on.  Brown is a decent Swing Tackle, I really don’t see him moving inside, if anything it would seem playing from a deeper position would be more likely to aggravate his injury.  If that’s not the case, then his nasty side might be fun in the run game.

The problem is who is even a possible candidate at 27 for potential LT? I'd love to follow your plan, but I don't see it.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The problem is who is even a possible candidate at 27 for potential LT? I'd love to follow your plan, but I don't see it.

Not all LTs are first round picks, nor am I saying we have to draft one there, but at some point you are going to need one or you are going to be paying Dawkins WAY too much on the back side of his career.  I’d be looking to retool the entire line essentially.  LT is huge, but Morse is also about done ( should already have his replacement here, instead be got a Boogie), and nobody else on the roster has proven to be more than replacement level.  I want a WR too, but the class sucks, and overall this draft is weak AF, if there is ever a year to go all in on the trenches, it’s now. 

13 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Not all LTs are first round picks, nor am I saying we have to draft one there, but at some point you are going to need one or you are going to be paying Dawkins WAY too much on the back side of his career.  I’d be looking to retool the entire line essentially.  LT is huge, but Morse is also about done ( should already have his replacement here, instead be got a Boogie), and nobody else on the roster has proven to be more than replacement level.  I want a WR too, but the class sucks, and overall this draft is weak AF, if there is ever a year to go all in on the trenches, it’s now. 

I agree entirely with the need to stock the Oline. I like Bergeron in the second. I sorta like Steen and a few other project OTs later on. I'm not really seeing a potential LT in the bunch. It's possible Bates is next C. If you want a Morse clone, apparently Joe Tippman is the fella. I think you have to take him at 59.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree entirely with the need to stock the Oline. I like Bergeron in the second. I sorta like Steen and a few other project OTs later on. I'm not really seeing a potential LT in the bunch. It's possible Bates is next C. If you want a Morse clone, apparently Joe Tippman is the fella. I think you have to take him at 59.

I don’t want a Morse clone at all.  This team needs more physical players in the trenches.  The finesse game is cute for the first half of the season, but the team resides in the ***** weather capital of the world, build a team to play in it.  Imagine a team that mauls you in the run game AND has Josh Allen to destroy your secondary.  The one dimensional offense has been the problem with the team for the last 3 years, it’s time to change it.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t want a Morse clone at all.  This team needs more physical players in the trenches.  The finesse game is cute for the first half of the season, but the team resides in the ***** weather capital of the world, build a team to play in it.  Imagine a team that mauls you in the run game AND has Josh Allen to destroy your secondary.  The one dimensional offense has been the problem with the team for the last 3 years, it’s time to change it.

I haven't really spent time looking at centers. One of the fellas who seems to be insightful about the oline said Tippmann was a young Morse. I think John Michael Schmitz is the type you are looking for. I think he goes pretty early second.

• Like (+1) 1

Darnell has to be the pick @ 27. And if we have to move up a couple spots I'd do it. This kid is so much quicker and technically stronger than Spencer it's not funny. He could anchor the right side for 5 years. Some of Josh's  biggest hits including the Jets ulner injury happened from the RT.  Our OL has sucked for 5 years. Time to do the right thing.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Darnell has to be the pick @ 27. And if we have to move up a couple spots I'd do it. This kid is so much quicker and technically stronger than Spencer it's not funny. He could anchor the right side for 5 years. Some of Josh's  biggest hits including the Jets ulner injury happened from the RT.  Our OL has sucked for 5 years. Time to do the right thing.

I bet he goes between 10-20

• Agree 1

Probably only about half the first rounders in this draft deserve first round grades. DW would be a bona ride first rounder in any past draft I can think of. He will be long gone at 27. He projects as an elite RT. Don't know that Beane would be able to move up enough to get it done (assuming he's interested).

concerned he was a underachiever until this year, 5 star recruit out of high school. Biggest issue for me with the big fat boys both Defense and offense  what happens after the money. And to be clear i'm not accusing him, but iv'e been around the block a time or two lol. 

Also can't play left Tackle, big no no for me in the first, that's my take.

• Agree 1

On 4/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, Beck Water said:

I'm aware it's your opinion, I'm disputing the wisdom of an opinion with such absolute nature on a guy like Wright.

I spent a little time watching Wright because I was out of step with others who almost all see him as a first round graded prospect. I’m sticking with my second round grade. I have a few reasons for that, most of which are covered in the NFL.com link above. He’s got a lot to like - build, strength, explosion and that game tape against Anderson. His strength is impressive. He will toss a DE if he gets his hands on them. I see what people like about him.

He needs a fair bit of work on his technique. People who think he can step in at RT on day 1 are kidding themselves. He is a RT only IMO as he’s a better run blocker than in pass pro, where the technique issues are more apparent. Great lateral burst, but then his feet get slow and he lacks appropriate bend. He blocks so upright that I’m concerned about how he’ll be able to handle NFL DEs. He won’t have the strength advantage he has in college. That combo will be a problem if he doesn’t improve on at least one of those facets. Shedding a bit of bad weight might do the trick with the feet and he will get a lot of coaching on his technique so he might be good there. His issues with his lack of bend are more concerning.

The NFL.com prospect profile grades him at 6.40, which projects him to “be a good starter within two years”.  That’s how I see him too. In a year or two he should develop into a good RT. I don’t think there will be a lot of great choices at 27 (and Brown has been an issue at RT) so I see why Wright’s name keeps coming up. I just don’t think he would help the team in the short run and I don’t see him having a high probability of getting a second contract if he’s taken in the first round. Though he does have a chance to improve and do that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.