Lil dirty update - McKenzie released

Reed83HOF

6 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Agree, I believe it's time to cut ties also. Agree about Hines/Cook, however I'd add Shakir to that. He turned it up toward the last few games and believe he will continue improving and has the chance to be a strong impact WR

Definitely possible, but you don't save a lot of money. About $1.4M, but after you subtract the salary of the guy who replaces him on the roster, that's not much.

My guess is they bring him back to compete and worry about whether or not to cut him in August.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Definitely possible, but you don't save a lot of money. About $1.4M, but after you subtract the salary of the guy who replaces him on the roster, that's not much.

My guess is they bring him back to compete and worry about whether or not to cut him in August.

Yeah it could play out that way also....I can certainly understand if it does. Either way regarding slot position in particular, I feel good about Shakir coming out on top of the competition and winning over the starting role.

If they part ways with McK or if they end up keeping him for depth/gadget plays here and there etc it's fine too

30 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Cutting McKenzie saves 2.7M.

For perspective, Connor McGovern's YR1 cap hit is 3.6M. McKenzie's role is already filled by players on the team so that savings will towards a different position or towards signing a better WR.

Just can't see him coming back after they basically signed guys off the couch to replace him last year.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

Cutting McKenzie saves 2.7M.

For perspective, Connor McGovern's YR1 cap hit is 3.6M. McKenzie's role is already filled by players on the team so that savings will towards a different position or towards signing a better WR.

Just can't see him coming back after they basically signed guys off the couch to replace him last year.

His cap hit is 2.5M.  He has a signing bonus hit of 300k, so 2.2M max IF you cut him today.  He has a 250k roster bonus paid out on Friday.  If you cut him after that you're looking at slightly less than 2M in savings.  There's a workout bonus and a per-game active bonus as well.  

FWIW - Noah Brown just got 1yr 2.6M and he caught 4 passes last year.  

My issue with doing it now is there are always potential injuries.  We only have 4 dudes under contract at the moment - and the FA WRs are trash who will get overpaid. 

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

His cap hit is 2.5M.  He has a signing bonus hit of 300k, so 2.2M max IF you cut him today.  He has a 250k roster bonus paid out on Friday.  If you cut him after that you're looking at slightly less than 2M in savings.  There's a workout bonus and a per-game active bonus as well.  

My issue with doing it now is there are always potential injuries.  We only have 4 dudes under contract at the moment - and the FA WRs are trash who will get overpaid. 

I'm not a big fan of Isaiah....but McKenzie does has a bit of a knack in the Redzone.  He has 12 TD's over his last 3 seasons....which is pretty good considering his limited time and usually the 4th option on offense

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think I’m fine with McKenzie as WR5

Diggs

FA or Draft Pick

Davis

Shakir

McKenzie

We could certainly use the 2-3M he frees up, but having McKenzie as WR5.. a guy who’s made plays in this league and has been with Josh since jump, isn’t the worst insurance to have. 

However, I also recognize that Hines as RB3 and McKenzie as WR5 is pretty redundant, especially for a rookie OC that showed zero creativity in using gadget pieces last year.   

Tough call… I can go either way on him. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

My turn to guess. He knew about the Diggs restructure, and Diggs signed off on the WR they are bringing in (that they can co-exist) Whomever that may be. 

This seems fairly likely.  Hopkins, OBJ, Thielen, Jeudy, Evans or a surprise name that hasn't been brought up 

14 hours ago, eball said:

The guy loves being a Bill, has a great personality, and has contributed meaningfully on the field, yet we have a lot of wannabe comedians on this board trashing the guy. I’d like for every player to embrace the team the way Li’l Dirty has. 

sure... but preferably theyd be a good player

Just now, SCBills said:

Diggs

FA or Draft Pick

Davis

Shakir

McKenzie

We could certainly use the 2-3M he frees up, but having McKenzie as WR5.. a guy who’s made plays in this league and has been with Josh since jump, isn’t the worst insurance to have. 

However, I also recognize that Hines as RB3 and McKenzie as WR5 is pretty redundant, especially for a rookie OC that showed zero creativity in using gadget pieces last year.   

It shouldn't be that hard to use gadget players.  He's made tons of plays as a jet motion player.  Him as a conventional weapon wasn't a particularly successful season, so don't use him that way. 

Hines should be a change of pace back - not a gadget player.  Put him out there on specific drives (end of halves), specific situations (3rd downs and some red zone), and probably a 2 RB formation.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I find it hilarious he calls him BBB

I thought they were going to report him to the Better Business Bureau BBB for his lack of production at his job ...

I hope they cut him to save money against the cap & off sett he other signing of the Harte guy from the Saints .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Diggs

FA or Draft Pick

Davis

Shakir

McKenzie

Their WR 5 is going to be a gunner. Is that Justin Watson or Mack Hollins or something? Maybe. But I think they have to add 1 more legit receiver, and that's would have to be via draft or OBJ or Hopkins and then they will add a WR5 who plays special teams imo. McKenzie would basically be scratched on game day in this scenario. That's why he is gone imo. 

Life was so much better before this thing called "TWITTER" existed.  

The ability for every idiot in this country to directly blast his random thought of the moment out to the entire world is greatly over-valued.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Life was so much better before this thing called "TWITTER" existed.  

The ability for every idiot in this country to directly blast his random thought of the moment out to the entire world is greatly over-valued.

You mean like Elon Musk, a guy who overpaid for Twitter then continues to run it into the ground and actually Tweets what most of us already know to be true....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, T master said:

I thought they were going to report him to the Better Business Bureau BBB for his lack of production at his job ...

I hope they cut him to save money against the cap & off sett he other signing of the Harte guy from the Saints .

32 minutes ago, T master said:

If they don't need the cap space, they may keep both during camp and the preseason, we do need 90 players

16 hours ago, eball said:

The guy loves being a Bill, has a great personality, and has contributed meaningfully on the field, yet we have a lot of wannabe comedians on this board trashing the guy. I’d like for every player to embrace the team the way Li’l Dirty has. 

He tried to embrace all this love you've given him, but he dropped it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

OBJ/Hopkins/Jeudy…. The draft is so underwhelming at WR that I’d be somewhat disappointed if they went into the season with:

1. Diggs

2. Davis

3. Draft pick

4. Harris

5. Shakir 

That may sound a little over the top to say, but I really think they need a playmaker at or just below Diggs level opposite him and that ain’t coming from this draft at #27 IMO.

Never thought it would be, is TB still over the cap? Lots of thoughts Evans could be had

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

OBJ/Hopkins/Jeudy…. The draft is so underwhelming at WR that I’d be somewhat disappointed if they went into the season with:

1. Diggs

2. Davis

3. Draft pick

4. Harris

5. Shakir 

That may sound a little over the top to say, but I really think they need a playmaker at or just below Diggs level opposite him and that ain’t coming from this draft at #27 IMO.

I disagree. Lots of Diggs comps to jordan Addison. If you could get him at 27, would anyone be upset?  How about Steve smith comps to Zay flowers?  That would also be a good problem to have…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If they don't need the cap space, they may keep both during camp and the preseason, we do need 90 players

True competition is a good thing but i hope they realize sooner than they did with Moss that they aren't getting from him what is needed to warrant a roster spot . If he was really good in the return game or some other part of the game it would be with his spot & contract but for what they get they are better off seeing if another player has better upside he has shown what he can give & the return just isn't that good .

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

1. Diggs

2. Davis

3. Draft pick

4. Harris

5. Shakir 

Gotcha. There isn't much point drafting really anybody at WR at that point in that case. Maybe middle rounds. I know some people hate it, but I really feel like the only avenue is OBJ. I think the Evans, Hopkins, and Juedy stuff just aren't happening. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Aren’t happening because the Bills won’t pull the trigger on a trade?…. Or because Hopkins/Jeudy won’t really be available for trade? 

Honestly, I don’t see why either wouldn’t be available at the right price but who knows. 

I think they aren't quite available, and I would add that we have no draft capital and there are other teams with needs at WR who have like 12 picks. Unless those guys force their way to Buffalo or we give up Rd1, I just don't think it is likely. 

I have zero evidence or anything. Just my gut on it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.