Pressure is on McBeane - PFT discussion

balln

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

As for Patrick the turnover he had in the AFC championship game that allowed the Bengals to tie the game Allen would have gotten killed for from people like yourself.

Bad plays happen to every QB.  It’s a matter of frequency.  Mahomes threw 100 passes and rushed 12 times in three postseason games.  He didn’t throw any interceptions, and that was his only fumble.  Josh threw 81 passes and rushed 12 times in two postseason games.  He threw 3 interceptions and fumbled 3 times.  That’s a massive difference.

• Agree 1

Fix the OL. Then get an impact player or 2 on offense. 

Edmunds is good, but he seldom makes game changing plays. I like Beane and our coaches, but Simms and Florio are right about the clock ticking at OBD. Upgrade the OL. Let Edmunds walk. I think Poyer makes more game changing plays despite their ages. Trade Oliver if they can find an upgrade.A great DL makes up for an average secondary.
Get a big playmaker on O. Give Allen a solid run game to take the pressure off him. I'm not opposed to going RB in the 1st if that kid from Texas is still there. I hear he's one of the 3 best players in this draft. I don't care if he is a RB or we took Cook last year. If he's making game changing plays, I'll be happy.
I'll say this for McDermott though. I'm not sure any HC would have done better after the elbow injury to Josh, Miller's injury, White's short season and so many other injuries to deal with. I'm going to guess that the injuries won't be as bad 2 years in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:37 AM, Negan said:

Florio is right, another season of not making a Super Bowl and McDermott should be fired, probably Beane too

What top coaching candidate is going to take the job if McDermott were to get fired after the amount of success he’s had?

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Bad plays happen to every QB.  It’s a matter of frequency.  Mahomes threw 100 passes and rushed 12 times in three postseason games.  He didn’t throw any interceptions, and that was his only fumble.  Josh threw 81 passes and rushed 12 times in two postseason games.  He threw 3 interceptions and fumbled 3 times.  That’s a massive difference.

Not really considering in the Bengals game he threw 1 prayer at the end trying to make something happen. Mahomes only scored 20 points against the Bengals as he was gifted 3 at the end and was responsible for the Bengals tying the game. 

Last year Allen had 9 touchdowns and 12 incompletions in 2 playoff games and you still blamed him.

• Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think there would be quite a few up and coming offensive coordinators who’d gladly take the job and walk into a situation where you already have a top 3 QB to work with….. You’d think they’d have second thoughts if the Bills fired McDermott after going 7-10 or something similar next season? 

Getting fired after going 7-10 is a far cry from getting fired after winning the division for 3 straight years and losing in the divisional round.  If you fire a coach who just went 13-3 and won a playoff game, the job would be looked at as a career killer.

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

Getting fired after going 7-10 is a far cry from getting fired after winning the division for 3 straight years and losing in the divisional round.  If you fire a coach who just went 13-3 and won a playoff game, the job would be looked at as a career killer.

He would be fired for how he lost his last 4 playoff games.  Blowing 16-0 lead at halftime in 1st playoff game, blown out by KC next season playoff, 13 seconds the next, and blown out at home in last season ending playoff game.  Not to mention he is a defensive head coach in era of offensive coaches getting to and winning the Super Bowl.  Winning Super Bowl is the goal right?

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

I hope most of the pressure is coming from inside both of them. Beane and McDermott have never come across as unintelligent to me. Ever...There's a needed gut check, and that's the big question right now IMHO. Can they be humble and self-scout to see the most obvious things? Because as good as they are, they got a lot wrong, and squandered some amazing Draft opportunities along the way. They have to get that fixed. They have to improve tactically on both sides of the ball...They have talent...They have plenty of talent if the holes are upgraded.

The top 5 HC and GM have to prove they are top 5 this off-season if they want to win a SB...They have to get the formula right...We'll see...B-)

What concerns me is that they talk a great game but don't live up to their own standards.  

They talk about accountability, character, etc., and McD always talks about handling things as a team afterwards.  But when the Defense fails ridiculously over the past three postseasons, do they hold anyone accountable?  No.  They use the Safeties Coach as the scapegoat, the one position group that actually played better than any other, and without one starter completely all season, and with the other starter missing some time and not at 100% much of the rest of the time.  That's not character.  It's scape-goating, not coming clean, and hiding behind others.  Fans and media are noticing, I'm pretty sure that the players are too.  

Diggs' airing of grievances and now Poyer's seeming slap in our face with favorable implications about playing for the Fins are not good signs.  

At the end of the day however, the team is hardly getting the most and best from what it has.  "13-Seconds" and our performance against the Bengals (and Fins) both at home, make that abundantly clear.  That's an ongoing and seemingly never-ending problem.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think there would be quite a few up and coming offensive coordinators who’d gladly take the job and walk into a situation where you already have a top 3 QB to work with….. You’d think they’d have second thoughts if the Bills fired McDermott after going 7-10 or something similar next season? 

Assuming that you mean an entire regime change, no, I don't think so, because any good GM will easily see that our drafting hasn't been good and whether or not they do, they'll realize that they can to a whole lot better.   I would think that any GM or Coach would love to come to Buffalo, particularly with a brand new stadium coming shortly after they got here.  I think that it's pretty clear that McD's not getting rid of his coordinators unless they walk for other jobs.  

It may be good to get another GM/HC before Allen's opt-out year.  We might have difficulty after that if he were to leave, and the odds of him staying would presumably be better after a season or two of working with the new coach.  Our timing always sucks tho, so expect the changes at the worst possible times.  

Edited by PBF81

On 2/24/2023 at 6:00 AM, balln said:

I was saying early this year, pressure is ratcheting up on McD. Needed to make super bowl this year - team looked stacked early in the year. Now national media ( i think of all the talking heads - sims and florio are the most reasonable and legit ) starting to recognize McD and Beane arent getting the job done. Sims is a little more on the side of needing more impact players which I agree. I still think think the right move was keeping Daboll and leaving frazier and McD in kc parking lot after 13 seconds (and hous and kc playoff game poor D performances)

And you may very well be right.  The Commanders passed on hiring Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.  Instead they held on to dead weight coaches.

"I'm not going to tip toe around it anymore..." - Mike Florio

We share that sentiment.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

I was saying early this year, pressure is ratcheting up on McD. Needed to make super bowl this year - team looked stacked early in the year. Now national media ( i think of all the talking heads - sims and florio are the most reasonable and legit ) starting to recognize McD and Beane arent getting the job done. Sims is a little more on the side of needing more impact players which I agree. I still think think the right move was keeping Daboll and leaving frazier and McD in kc parking lot after 13 seconds (and hous and kc playoff game poor D performances)

Here’s a great example of national sports guys who have no clue what the reality in Buffalo is truly like.  McDermott and Beane are not under any pressure - look at the coaching moves this off-season.  That tells you everything you need to know 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:23 AM, LeGOATski said:

The pressure's been on to make the SB the last two years. Nothing's changed. I don't think "media pressure" should be a thing. Not something that affects a franchise, anyway. I'm more interested in what the owners think and what kind of pressure they're putting on the FO, which we may never know.

Take a look at the assistant coaching changes.  That will tell you everything you need to know.  There were like 2 minor moves this off-season 

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I was referring to this coming year… if you meant firing McDermott after this past season. Yea. Hard to sell after a 13-3 season. Specifically with the off the field stuff around the team all season even with their no show against Cincinnati….. but I can absolutely see a scenario where the team has a down year next season and it be warranted to fire him wherein many coaches would welcome the opportunity. 

Do I see that happening even with a down year? Nah. The Pegulas trust him and they are somewhat clueless owners so my guess is they’d just defer to “continuity”. 

I sure hope we as fans don't just settle for continuity. We don't just accept 10+ win seasons only to get bounced long before we sniff a SB.  And if the Pegulas are somewhat clueless and Terry is distracted over Kim's condition,  that only further protects McB.  They may get another 2-3 year pass playing Marty ball before someone gets fed up. They absolutely can't screw up draft or FA picks anymore.

9 hours ago, Billl said:

What top coaching candidate is going to take the job if McDermott were to get fired after the amount of success he’s had?

One might argue that the job would be HIGHLY sought after, especially by progressive offensive minds. The opportunity to coach Allen and Diggs? Better jobs don't really come along.

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Agreed.  McDermott would need a down year.  Dungy got fired from TB after going 9-7 and being embarrassed by Philly in the WC round.  It would have to be something similar to that (or worse) barring an injury to Allen for Pegula to even consider it.  

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

One might argue that the job would be HIGHLY sought after, especially by progressive offensive minds. The opportunity to coach Allen and Diggs? Better jobs don't really come along.

Yes and no.  You'd have a lot of tools at your disposal for immediate success.  However, if you fail you could be a one and done.  See Steve Wilks and Nate Hackett.

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed.  McDermott would need a down year.  Dungy got fired from TB after going 9-7 and being embarrassed by Philly in the WC round.  It would have to be something similar to that (or worse) barring an injury to Allen for Pegula to even consider it.  

Yes and no.  You'd have a lot of tools at your disposal for immediate success.  However, if you fail you could be a one and done.  See Steve Wilks and Nate Hackett.

Those don't seem like valid comps for the Bills organization in 2023. NFL head coaching jobs with established Top-5 QB and WR just don't really open up often. It's a rare opportunity. The pretext is NOT super important. 

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Those don't seem like valid comps for the Bills organization in 2023. NFL head coaching jobs with established Top-5 QB and WR just don't really open up often. It's a rare opportunity. The pretext is NOT super important. 

There are no valid comps which is why firing him now would be absurd.  The closest I could come up with is Marty Schottenheimer.  Defensive minded head coach with elite weapons on the offense (Tomlinson, Gates, Brees/Rivers) that went 14-2 only to be fired after losing in the divisional round.  Granted, he never won a playoff game with them despite three straight playoff appearances.  The same can't be said about McDermott.

• Agree 1

We have the major pieces. Despite getting schooled at home vs Cincy I'm not ready for regime change. I felt we looked soft at times last year. I don't think the team recovered from the Damar incident mentally. 

I do, however, expect the team to address those issues or I will entertain change this time next year if we are in the same place.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

We have the major pieces. Despite getting schooled at home vs Cincy I'm not ready for regime change. I felt we looked soft at times last year. I don't think the team recovered from the Damar incident mentally. 

I do, however, expect the team to address those issues or I will entertain change this time next year if we are in the same place.

I'd say get ready to address the situation next year. 

History has a way of repeating itself. 

McD blew it 2 years ago in 13 seconds, 3 years ago he got schooled by KC, and this year his team led by him laid an egg at home vs Cinci. 

How many on here were pounding the drum that the Bills would beat Cinci? You know who you are. I'd say 90% of the people here had that mindset. 

Afterwards, it's a switch from winning to an excuse of a tough season. What's next year's excuse? 

It's clear that this team hasn't gotten over the hump. Many reasons for that. You pick which one. 

Until this team and organization shows me something different I'm inclined to think similar results will occur. Please no Super Bowl talk next year. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

Pretty much exactly where I am.  Football is a weird sport in the sense that a 17-game season followed by a single-elimination tournament creates a ton of variance.  Excellent teams get their seasons completely upended by injuries to individual players, weird bounces of the ball, officiating errors, etc.  You can't just assume that because your team is the best team on paper, it will automatically be there at the end.  Soccer, baseball, and basketball are all far more predictable than football IMO.  You can't be firing your HC or GM because of one season of under-performance or one horrific gut-punch.  

By and large, McBeane have done well. They've gotten us into the playoffs as a matter of course, and it's now the expectation that we win our division.  That's very good.  Huge step up from where we were.  

But like you said, it does feel like something is just off with this team.  It's not that they're just a player or two away, or something like that that would be easy to fix.  They're mentally and physically soft.  They're the Dungy-era Colts.  Plenty of talent on paper, and none of it matters when they encounter a good opponent with more spine. 

But maybe I'm wrong.  Or maybe I'm right and McBeane are already working to fix this problem.  For what they've accomplished so far, they deserve the benefit of the doubt for one more year.  If 2023 is like 2022, though, I'll probably be advocating for some new people.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:57 PM, PBF81 said:

Allen's easily the most athletic QB to come to Buffalo, he may be the most athletic QB in NFL history.  He's definitely in the conversation.  Kelly wasn't as athletic, perhaps Kemp or another was close, but they weren't as good as Allen is otherwise. 

See my post above about Brady.  Belichick wouldn't have replaced Bledsoe with Brady if Mo Lewis hadn't made that decision for him.  Then on top of it he kicks us in the nuts by trading Bledsoe, one of the worst playoff QBs of all-time, to us.  Everyone said he was nuts to trade in the division, I said he was genius at the time.  LOL  

Here's my thing with Allen and his brain-farts as you put it, we don't know how he'd be playing if he had an offensive line that was better than a bunch of journeymen 1 and 2 year signees, changing significantly every single season since he's been here, or with decent overall direction otherwise.  I'd like to reserve final judgement on Allen's ultimate potential until I see him play with the same OL (for the most part) for at least two seasons, and with play-calling and competent coaching otherwise where he doesn't have to not only overcome the absence of a running game, but the defensive lapses of allowing 30-some points regularly in the playoffs either.  

I have a few comments on this.

• Allen's injury made short to intermediate throws more difficult to make as the way the injured elbow has to flex and the angles needed are more stressed with those throws than deeper ones (locked on Bills has a good pod cast on this with a guest speaker doctor).
    • However, even before the injury defenses were starting to pick up on tendencies and dial into how Allen likes to extend plays rolling to the right in the red zone where it seemed that they had come up with some different pressure and robber concepts to bait throws into uncharacteristic INTs.
    • We saw less turnovers in the red zone down the stretch so perhaps Allen and Dorsey were able to diagnose those things and come up with workarounds.
    • If someone has a good link to a breakdown of those turnovers I would love to see those. I just remembered Allen looking very bewildered and that usually happens when a defender peals away from an expected zone and drifts over to make that INT - where a QB just loses track of defenders after the pre-snap reads.
  • Too many of Dorsey's calls seemed to lean into lower percentage downfield throws, particularly in places in games where a sustained drive was really needed to spell the defense and develop some offensive rhythm. We have pass-catching RBs, Knox, and some slot options we needed to use more.
  • Upgrading the OL will help, but we need a run game identity that lends itself to the blocking up front that the coaches determine we can do with some higher degree of success, and the personnel packages for those runs that allow for successful play action passes. We have some good speed and shiftiness back there now, but a bruiser between the tackles in the mold of a Raheem Mostert would be great down the stretch with a lead in games.

On defense I feel like we lack some creativity and aggression on that side of the ball, we have coaches that are great with working out of defensive systems that are likely easy to teach and minimize risks. That will work against most QBs, but down the stretch against elite QBs you have to be willing to go after them, jam receivers at the line and challenge routes - you cannot sit back and wait. 

With that in mind, we also cannot ignore our lack of size on the DL, when Jones went down against the Bengals our DL got pushed around and they made it look EASY and they were able to run at will. This took a lot of pressure off their passing game. This defense does not work period without interior DL players that have the size and strength needed to successfully anchor or get push against double-teams to both collapse the pocket, and redirect and/or stuff the runs.

Edited by WideNine

On 2/24/2023 at 12:23 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

60% of the draft allocation is defense.

McDermott has gotten his way since 2017.

We can bring up he tried Peterman - not once, but twice.

My initial read on him when he was hired was he sounded like Jauron, a typical defensive coach who talked about snowy weather and the physical run game. 

13 seconds started his clock ticking, we all saw the passive prevent defense him and Frazier played against Cincinnati, showing they learned nothing from 13 seconds. Meanwhile the Bengals coaching staff had a great plan for Allen. 

He’s definitely under the microscope now, with Diggs starting to get more vocal now on every interview about what are we doing and the growing angst of Allen being asked about his elbow non-stop.

I think Kansas City was always the backstop. They are the bar of excellence. But to see you’ve also been passed by the Bengals now, has been a harder pill to swallow. 

Is he the Marty Schottenheimer of our era? And can Beane actually Draft well enough to stock the shelves? 

Exactly how I feel to a T.

• Eyeroll 1

On 2/24/2023 at 6:58 AM, H2o said:

I'm not saying McDermott is the coach we need long term, but look at Andy Reid in Philly. He won 6 division titles, 10 Playoff games overall, made 5 NFCC games, lost 3 NFCC games in a row, won the 4th of those NFCC games, and lost to the Pats in his only SB appearance. He then goes to KC, has a very talented group from FO to players, now has two Lombardi's, and is considered one of the greatest coaches of all time. 

The pressure is squarely on the FO and coaching staff to get this right though. Everyone on the outside looking in says the exact same things. Sports media, fans, everyone sees the Bills need OL help and more weapons for Josh. No QB in the NFL has achieved more with less. 

Look at what Reid did for the career of every QB he ever had.  The guy took the offenses he had to the top of the league every year.  The teams always were very competitive, now he has the most talented QB to work with and he’s over the top, it’s no surprise.   The problem with a defensive coach and a great QB is the fact Allen can make you look great and boom there goes your coordinator.   Now you have to hire a new coach to remake the whole thing.  With  the head coach as the offensive mastermind, the team can be amazing and they don’t lose the scheme behind it.  

The same SHOULD be true for a defensive coach, yet when it counts, our D has folded like origami.   People are praying the D will change here and THATS your head coach’s bread and butter.   They have spent a ton on the D and is consistently destroyed by playoff teams.   Somebody should be held accountable and I see great progress with firing the Safties coach, it’s clear he’s why Po got hurt, Hyde missed most of the season and I think if you watch in slow motion you can actually see him turning Higgins should to hit Hamlin too.  Good riddance.

• Like (+1) 1

This last playoff exit has everyone in an uproar because of that 27-10 beatdown by the Bengals at Buffalo. Most fans were shocked at that outcome and vented quite a bit in this forum...justifiably too. I know I wasn't happy about it and was scratching my head over that loss. The game just got out of hand early.  

Last year at 11-6 that playoff game in KC set the football world a fire because of the explosive offense by both teams...with some talking about the greatest playoff game ever!  You simply can't say that a 36-42 loss in OT in 2021... that Buffalo was destroyed. That 13 seconds screwup by the defense was a major letdown and probably cost Bills DC Leslie Frazier a head coaching job with a different team. I've always disliked that prevent defense and even McD was screaming about when he saw it. 

Bottom line: Buffalo lost their premier pass rusher in Von Miller and just couldn't get pressure on Joe Burrow. Joe does have a quick release and can get the ball out in 2 seconds or so at times. His average time from snap to release average was 2.54 and recently quickened that to 2.41 by the end of the season. The Bengals do have  good offensive minds in HC Zac Taylor along with OC Brian Callahan and they worked to get the Bengals offense schemed to get the ball out quicker.

Let's not forget that while Buffalo did have the #2 overall offense this season...they also had a rookie OC calling plays. It showed at different times. Losing Bills OC Brian Daboll did hurt the offense. Although Ken Dorsey is a smart guy and he was Josh Allen's choice for OC. Allen is a pretty smart guy too and together they will work things out. 

Even without out their best pass rusher the Buffalo Bills still finished 13-3, and #2 in defensive points allowed, #6 in yards defensive allowed in 2022. 

I think this Buffalo brain trust realizes that they need stronger O line, run game. Better defensive line too. I have faith that this HC / GM will find the right players to be on top of the AFC east again for 2023. Let's see what happens.

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

I have a few comments on this.

• Allen's injury made short to intermediate throws more difficult to make as the way the injured elbow has to flex and the angles needed are more stressed with those throws than deeper ones (locked on Bills has a good pod cast on this with a guest speaker doctor).
    • However, even before the injury defenses were starting to pick up on tendencies and dial into how Allen likes to extend plays rolling to the right in the red zone where it seemed that they had come up with some different pressure and robber concepts to bait throws into uncharacteristic INTs.
    • We saw less turnovers in the red zone down the stretch so perhaps Allen and Dorsey were able to diagnose those things and come up with workarounds.
    • If someone has a good link to a breakdown of those turnovers I would love to see those. I just remembered Allen looking very bewildered and that usually happens when a defender peals away from an expected zone and drifts over to make that INT - where a QB just loses track of defenders after the pre-snap reads.
  • Too many of Dorsey's calls seemed to lean into lower percentage downfield throws, particularly in places in games where a sustained drive was really needed to spell the defense and develop some offensive rhythm. We have pass-catching RBs, Knox, and some slot options we needed to use more.
  • Upgrading the OL will help, but we need a run game identity that lends itself to the blocking up front that the coaches determine we can do with some higher degree of success, and the personnel packages for those runs that allow for successful play action passes. We have some good speed and shiftiness back there now, but a bruiser between the tackles in the mold of a Raheem Mostert would be great down the stretch with a lead in games.

On defense I feel like we lack some creativity and aggression on that side of the ball, we have coaches that are great with working out of defensive systems that are likely easy to teach and minimize risks. That will work against most QBs, but down the stretch against elite QBs you have to be willing to go after them, jam receivers at the line and challenge routes - you cannot sit back and wait. 

With that in mind, we also cannot ignore our lack of size on the DL, when Jones went down against the Bengals our DL got pushed around and they made it look EASY and they were able to run at will. This took a lot of pressure off their passing game. This defense does not work period without interior DL players that have the size and strength needed to successfully anchor or get push against double-teams to both collapse the pocket, and redirect and/or stuff the runs.

Not much to disagree with there, but that puts it on the coaching and on Beane, and I agree with that.  BTW, I was actually defending Allen.  

It's difficult to tell, since we don't know the plays, the "strategy" to the extent there is any by Dorsey, Allen's audibles, the conversations between Allen & Dorsey.  To that extent, while I understand what that doctor said in the interview about Allen not being able to throw shorter effectively, I noticed that he really hadn't been doing that to the extent that he had in '21.  Whether that was Daboll vs. Dorsey, who knows, but he also didn't excel at it regardless.  That's been a weakness of his since he's been here.  I'm sure that it's correctible as Allen's pretty Brilliant.  He's impressed me with his intelligence.  

Again, my biggest concern is that they piss him off by not doing their part to help him out, and he opts out of his contract after three more seasons.  Like I implied, if that happens, good luck getting a dime for PSLs in that new stadium.  

There's a TON of injury luck involved too. The Eagles just played 95% of the NFC Title Game against a team faced with the choice of having a RB playing QB or have the QB with a busted UCL who couldn't even throw a screen pass hand off every play. That game was over after the 1st offensive series for SF when Purdy went down.

One hit in the 1st quarter and that game went from 50/50 to basically a bye for the Eagles to the Super Bowl. But you've got to be there to be lucky. Can you imagine the Bills being in the AFC Title Game and it's the 1st quarter and Devon Singletary is lining up at QB? 

If this year's Bills team faced a 2 game schedule of the Giants and then facing a Pop Warner level offense for 3 full quarters we would have been in the Super Bowl too. 

I get the school of thought that says we've got a good HC and a good staff and eventually they will break through, if given enough chances. The problem is that we have a defensive coach whose defense doesn't show up in the playoffs. That worries me more than anything else. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

17 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Let's not forget that while Buffalo did have the #2 overall offense this season...they also had a rookie OC calling plays. It showed at different times. Losing Bills OC Brian Daboll did hurt the offense. Although Ken Dorsey is a smart guy and he was Josh Allen's choice for OC. Allen is a pretty smart guy too and together they will work things out. 

Our window for the Superbowl was open. It is known that Allen needs some reigning in. It was known that we don't have a great OL.

Why then did Beane give the reins to a rookie OC? He should've taken Allen's input and explained why an experienced OC was the right option got this team, at this time.

I am not buying this excuse.

wonder what next years excuse will be.. 

lost too much ( including pro bowl level) talent in free agency to replace in one off season?

The new safeties and MLB need more time in the scheme? 

Allens elbow kept him from working on his short pass game this offseason?

Diggs heart isn’t in it anymore? 

o line still I needs to gel?

Need an upgrade at RB? 

🤔

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Our window for the Superbowl was open. It is known that Allen needs some reigning in. It was known that we don't have a great OL.

Why then did Beane give the reins to a rookie OC? He should've taken Allen's input and explained why an experienced OC was the right option got this team, at this time.

I am not buying this excuse.

First, looking at the offensive line from the end of last season... they played well and because of that, as a result of that good play, it gave Beane a solid reason to go with some of the same players. Some were injured, some regressed and some new players didn't live up to their contracts. Stuff happens! 

Beane gave the OC job to the QB coach because that is what his franchise QB asked for and wanted. Ken Dorsey had been the Buffalo Bills QB coach since 2019. Not for nothing that Buffalo's offense finished the season #2 overall on offense. That equals Brian Daboll's 2020 best season as Buffalo OC. I'd say that's pretty darn good for a first-year OC. Would the team have done better had Brian Daboll stayed as OC, perhaps? 

So, no excuse is needed here. 

The Buffalo team fell flat against the Bengals and now almost every Buffalo Bills fan is pointing fingers everywhere, at everyone. Yes, it sucks they lost in the playoffs again, at home, by a wide margin. Nobody saw this coming. Not with the team that was expected to be in the SB this season by almost everyone. 

I'm pretty certain that the Buffalo HC and GM themselves are still searching for answers as to why the team lost focus for the biggest home game of the season. Some say it was from being emotionally drained by the circumstances surrounding Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin. Probably because nobody in the entire history of the NFL had to endure almost losing a teammate to cardiac arrest on...the...field...during...a...game. 

Another thing I'm certain of is...that those men will make improvements to the team and Buffalo will be right back in the hunt for 2023. I'm moving on and looking forward to the draft, free agency, and the new upcoming season. Buffalo has one of the very best young QBs in the league and that SB window should be open for a long time! 

Regime change. My god. Look at Iraq! Terry Pegula better have his ducks in a row if he’s pulling that cord. McBeane built this thing into a perennial division winner and playoff winner. The hump appears to have not been gotten over, but they built this thing this far. And Terry has some things on his plate that he may not want to blowup that right now. McBeane is here for a while. The most we could ask is that Sean and Brandon are made to be held accountable through reflection of everything top to bottom and declared adjustments and adaptations.  

100% can't agree any more. This was pretty much proven true this year with Dabol winning Coach of The Year and seeing the Bills utterly colapse in the post season vs Miami and Cinci both at home. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.