This place has become poisonous

Dr. K

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Thanks for this

Discussion helps ease the frustration IMO. Therapeutic. One of my favorite posters on twitter plays the devils advocate. Even his positives are given the negatives along it. Myself personally, I don't want to read about how everythings peachy- keen when is not. I'm one of the biggest homers on this forum when it comes to defending the Buffalo Bills. Its not what I come here to read. What draws my interest the most is controversy.

Is it Sully? Haha

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I totally agree with you

The people that are ruining it by their constant bitching, and not being happy about the historic moment, should take a chill pill

What exactly do you mean by historic moment?   Because to me winning AFC Championship games, making Super Bowls, winning Super Bowls, etc..  feels historic. This status quo of losing in divisional playoff games with a franchise qb is starting to become unacceptable.  Maybe I’m just old and spoiled but those 4 Superbowl appearances felt historic to me.  Actually quite the opposite with this team. For younger fans I guess it is historic to finally be winning and relevant.  For the rest of us we have been there and done that.  And please don’t confuse “bitching” with asking legitimate questions or having concerns about some of the things that have transpired from the bills early exits the past couple years. 

• Dislike 1

I don't care if people want to complain and be sad about the loss. I find it childish when fans come on and demand change and make declarations that this coaching staff and this team will NEVER succeed. That's just a bunch of BS.

If people want to talk objectively about what changes the team needs to make, and some do, I am totally happy with that. You can even say you want to move on from McDermott or other coaches and state your reasons, but to get all emotional and attack them ceaselessly is just childish. And the statements of finality are silly.

This was not the last chance the team is going to have to make the superbowl.

And there are a lot of FALSE statements being made, like McDermott never changes, or he's a bad coach, or he is unwilling to change the coaching staff. All of that is hysterics and objectively false. Go look at the history of this team under this regime. If you point that out, you get labeled a homer.

Edited by MJS
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

Yes you are probably correct. Ya know, it really is OK for fans to not agree with you. 

I also wish to compliment you for being kind enough to wait us out before taking any drastic action that would make us collectively sad.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

If you think this place is bad avoid Twitter at all costs 

That's just good life advice for everyone. Avoid Twitter at all costs, regardless of what happens to your sports team.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Every single game that isn't a Bills blowout makes for disheartening reading on the game day thread.

However I've come to the conclusion that every fan base is a reflection of the public. Meaning 30% is loud, stupid, and irrational. Also many many experts who've watched a few YouTube videos. 

Same thing if I'm at bills bar somewhere. All good when we're in control, irrational silly doom when we're not. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

For me personally I never felt higher as a Bills fan than after our demolishing of the Titans in week two. We had huge expectations and up to that point we were actually surpassing them.  But it has been a slow decline since then and I’ve never felt worse as a Bills fan than I do today. 

The drought years were filled with terrible teams that had no shot at true success. That made it less painful. These past few years feel like wasted opportunities and even worse I find it hard to imagine excitement for next regular season when it all really boils down to the postseason. 

I haven’t listened to sports talk radio of any kind since the Bills lost to the Bengals. It was once a a morning ritual to tune in. As of right now I’m not sure when I will again. 

That, to me, is really so frustrating .. and I blame myself a bit for it .. but I just can’t really enjoy the regular season right now.  It’s all about the playoffs and we have a coaching staff that I don’t trust - AT ALL - in the post-season. 

So what.. our Defense plays well against KC again next year in the regular season?… Cool!  Apparently it doesn’t matter because A) It doesn’t translate to the playoffs and B) We keep failing at getting the 1 seed. 

I want to enjoy the ride, but without the post-season success, it just feels like a grind … and the inevitable “wait and see” when we get there.  

I was desperately hoping for real change so that we could watch the evolution of this team under any type of new scheme/leadership, but it’s the same ish.. run it back.   

Maybe FA/Draft changes my perception.   Some big shake ups like trading guys and/or surprising signings/not-signings could do that for me.  

But as to where we stand… I’m just exhausted with this current iteration of the Bills.   I’ve flown to LA, driven to Jax, flown to Miami, made my way to any game that’s local(ish) to Atlanta over the past 3 years.   And I’m just spent.. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I've been a member of this community since the very beginning, in 2001. 

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

This is exactly where I am.  I poke my head in from time to time to see if there's any coverage of draft prospects and if anyone's talking about Beane's pressers and so forth, but all I see is the same flailing making ridiculous comparisons of Josh Allen and getting out the tar and pitchforks for firing all the coaches over and over and over again.  Oh and ridiculous stuff that a 2 minute Spotrac search will reveal to not happen, like trading Diggs.

That's my problem, you're right, and I have control - I have a baker's dozen "ignore" file and if that's not enough (as it pretty much isn't right now) I can step away. 

It may also be the board's problem though, because I'm aware of a double handful of solid contributors here who see it the same way, and are likewise staying away.  So it becomes a self-perpetuating problem - a lot of people who contribute some of the solid content that likely folks like you want to read are sticking their head in, looking around, going "NOPE!" turning around and walking out, leaving the board to the temper tantrums of the time

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What do you expect from an online forum?? 

Historically, from this forum -  Better

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

I have never seen people bent out of shape or complain so much after wins for a team that has went 37-12 in the last 3 regular seasons. I have given my criticisms but people that want McDermott fired after 5 playoff appearances in the last 6 seasons following a 17 year playoff drought, 3 straight division titles, a championship game appearance. Yes, he has made questionable decisions. Yes, I think Frazier should be fired but I think I saw someone post on here right after the Bengals game saying we need to clean house. Some people whine and get carried away too much

Edited by Buffalo03

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't care if people want to complain and be sad about the loss. I find it childish when fans come on and demand change and make declarations that this coaching staff and this team will NEVER succeed. That's just a bunch of BS.

If people want to talk objectively about what changes the team needs to make, and some do, I am totally happy with that. You can even say you want to move on from McDermott or other coaches and state your reasons, but to get all emotional and attack them ceaselessly is just childish. And the statements of finality are silly.

This was not the last chance the team is going to have to make the superbowl.

And there is a lot of FALSE statements being made, like McDermott never changes, or he's a bad coach, or he is unwilling to change the coaching staff. All of that is hysterics and objectively false. Go look at the history of this team under this regime. If you point that out, you get labeled a homer.

Has Sean changed or adapted his defensive philosophy or scheme?  Because clearly against great offenses his defense has been figured out going deeper into the playoffs. It might be good for stat purposes during the regular season, but in the playoffs the past few years his defense has been an abject failure.  Unless Sean makes some changes, the outcome will be the same each and every year.  “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.”

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

The spirit of Reddit finally came to my last refuge online as a Bills fan.

• So many threads about gatekeeping other Bills fans' fandom and/or demanding fan cards. "My dog, wife, and truck died before a Bills game. In a season they went 0-13 I watched them lose the finale and I was THANKFUL! Both ways! 10 miles! In the snow!"
  • Virtue signaling about how you're taking devastating loses with no real explanation like a pro. "My wife didn't tell me why she left, why does McD have to tell me about 13 seconds?"
  • Or the weird third-party critique of Bills fans in general that goes something like: "Humans are strange. They want a team to win on the tv. Isn't that weird? It's just a game." You wouldn't bother to visit if it were. 

Never really appreciated this forum as much as I do now. You don't have to worry about getting permabanned for having a legitimate take/gripe. Many threads are about actual Bills news that I usually see before an outlet like ESPN. The veterans on this board understand that our season only ended 3 weeks ago. The Super Bowl hasn't happened yet. Even that is going to be salt in the wound. We can't even really process the end of the season because it hasn't happened. It's like expecting for someone to be done grieving before a funeral. If you've already made peace with the season and how it ended, great. Have a cookie. If you haven't, also have a cookie. Cookies all around!

Dance Dancing GIF by The Masked Singer UK & The Masked Dancer UK

• Like (+1) 1

Its the same thing all season in the game day forum when the team starts to play poorly... the Bills fan complaining gets to ridiculous proportions at times. So much negativity pointed at everyone. We have arguably one of the very best QBs in the league and when he throws an INT he is suddenly trash. 

13-3 with one of the best seasons in the NFL and it seems like most fans want to blow everything up like Wrex Ryan was still here. Fire the GM, fire the HC, fire the DC, fire the OC. Trade away top players...

It makes me wonder if these are really Bills fans posting or other teams fans attempting to stir stuff up. Jets, Dolphins, Patriots fans are seriously not happy Buffalo has won the division three years in a row now.  AND, unless those three team suddenly all find a top QB they won't be winning the division any time soon. 

We have Josh Allen, just keep smiling! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

This is the exact reason I dropped the Knicks when Dolan brought in Isaiah Thomas and Marbury. You can move on. Some of you should move on. 
Every movie can’t be an Oscar winner, but It’s not like the Bills are a 1 based on Rotten Tomatoes. I’ve enjoyed every season under this regime will continue to. 
It must suck watching Bills football with some of you guys. Unless we’re blowing the opponent out, I guess. 

Maybe not the winner but still got nominated!

as-good-smaller.gif

7 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Its the same thing all season in the game day forum when the team starts to play poorly... the Bills fan complaining gets to ridiculous proportions at times. So much negativity pointed at everyone. We have arguably one of the very best QBs in the league and when he throws an INT he is suddenly trash. 

13-3 with one of the best seasons in the NFL and it seems like most fans want to blow everything up like Wrex Ryan was still here. Fire the GM, fire the HC, fire the DC, fire the OC. Trade away top players...

It makes me wonder if these are really Bills fans posting or other teams fans attempting to stir stuff up. Jets, Dolphins, Patriots fans are seriously not happy Buffalo has won the division three years in a row now.  AND, unless those three team suddenly all find a top QB they won't be winning the division any time soon. 

We have Josh Allen, just keep smiling

And 8 years from now when Josh Allen’s career is over, (if they don’t invest heavily in the line) and they don’t win an afc championship game or make it to a Super Bowl will you still feel the same way?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I get your frustration.  There is a vocal few that make me roll my eyes.  Roll with it by scrolling right by the inane takes, rants and emotional reactions.  Debate and discussion is fine.  I enjoy it.  

It’s more of when you have a season where everything is laid out perfectly for  you and then you just lay an absolute egg in your home stadium. 
It does make you angry as from the defense, to the oline, the running game, to receiver drops. 
There are legit questions about Beanes and McDermotts roster construction. Cause let’s face it if the 2018 draft went differently and Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield was under center. There is a very good chance the GM and head coach would likely not be here anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

And 8 years from now when Josh Allen’s career is over, (if they don’t invest heavily in the line) and they don’t win an afc championship game or make it to a Super Bowl will you still feel the same way?

History has shown us Bills fans that this GM and HC will make the needed changes to improve the team. Like last season in getting run on and they went and beefed up the D line. Beane went all out for a pass rusher that could have made a huge impact in the playoffs, and a season ending injury derailed that.  8 sacks in 11 games! 

They saw what we all saw, that the offensive line wasn't nearly good enough. The pass rush without Von wasn't good enough. The secondary with all the injuries wasn't good enough. The run game wasn't good enough.  WR corps wasn't good enough and probably why they let the WR's coach leave. 

I have faith that this GM, HC will get this done.  

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I agree to a point, but it's understandable.  What happens every year at this time is people are looking back on the season and talking about what didn't work.  Only time that won't happen is if the Bills win the Super Bowl.  

So, what didn't work?   The defense and the offense let the team down in the playoffs.  Why?   Well, that's what people are talking about.  Not very productively, in my opinion, because I think the problems are much more nuanced than people here seem to think, but that's just my opinion.  

I am amazed, however, that people think McDermott is the problem.   He's probably a top-five head coach, and people are complaining about him be too soft, or too oriented to the defense, or something.  I don't get that at all. 

Who expects fans to have a productive conversation about football? What do a lot of us know? Not much or not as much as we like to think we know. But we do all have opinions. Some fans are tired of the same ending every year. Some fans are just happy to watch the team play no matter the outcome. I know for me after watching this team for 45 years or so all I care about is the Super Bowl. I didn’t even really enjoy the regular season this year mainly because from mid season on you could tell this team was way overrated. That caused me to ask myself a few times during the season what am I watching this for? What enjoyment am I getting from this? The answer was not much. I really would have been in my garage working on something. By the time I came to that conclusion it was winter and too cold to be working in the garage.  I’m not sure how much I’ll watch next year, a lot depends on Fraizer and what he does with the D, but I do know this, I am insulating my garage before next winter!

bah humbug. Im too old for endless second guessing. My personal participation has tapered off because I have taken up pitbull rescue ...I am picking up my 2nd foster today. a 5 year old female with kennel cough arriving from a shelter in Coachella CA . 2 weeks no walks and meds for the cough aka doggie head cold. Extremely contageous to other dogs. Then 2 weeks crate neuter recovery rest. In the meantime I am Loving my life. I'll be bock like the terminator come the NFL draft mateys.

😊

@Royale with Cheese

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Who expects fans to have a productive conversation about football? What do a lot of us know? Not much or not as much as we like to think we know. But we do all have opinions. Some fans are tired of the same ending every year. Some fans are just happy to watch the team play no matter the outcome. I know for me after watching this team for 45 years or so all I care about is the Super Bowl. I didn’t even really enjoy the regular season this year mainly because from mid season on you could tell this team was way overrated. That caused me to ask myself a few times during the season what am I watching this for? What enjoyment am I getting from this? The answer was not much. I really would have been in my garage working on something. By the time I came to that conclusion it was winter and too cold to be working in the garage.  I’m not sure how much I’ll watch next year, a lot depends on Fraizer and what he does with the D, but I do know this, I am insulating my garage before next winter!

I hear that.  It's not even the same ending, except the same in that there was no Super Bowl.  Some fans are just tired.   I felt it this year, too.  Some of that is, literally, my age.   And I've come to enjoy watching the games without getting terribly upset at the outcome.   For me now, it's more these are my guys out there trying to figure out how to get it done, working as hard as they can to get it done.   I watch and I'm proud.   

I'll watch next season, for sure, and I expect I'll see one of the better teams in the league, and I'll go into December knowing my team has a shot.   From Thanksgiving, I'll watch to see if McDermott can build a winner.   It will be interesting to watch, and if it all works out, one year or another it will be magical.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I agree with you 100%, Dr K.

I'm also one of the originals here, and from my point of view can confirm that it's never been like this before.

I actually noticed it and called it out earlier in the season while the team was still winning games!

If these new fans are a true segment of Bills fandom, we really need to knock off the "Best fans in the world" nonsense.  From where I'm sitting, a lot of us seem to be emotionally weak babies.

Perhaps these idiots will finally help break my 25? year addiction to this once-great board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Same here, but my vasectomy in '86 was successful.  Still have the damned cough. 🤨

Blessings and good karma to you on the rescue. 🙂

the first one was EASY. I dont think this dog is fully potty trained. First things first lol Im ready. 🙂 Thanks mucho Pray for me if you are so inclined.

I agree with the poster who said what made the boards "toxic" was the bickering between members. Some threads get hijacked by this nonsense, and the chance for reasonable discussion is gone.

Overall, most of the negativity is born of frustration.  The inexplicable 13 seconds, and then the complete beat down in this year's last game (although with all the team went through during the year-- should not be all that surprising). Also, the failure to make any coaching changes. Bringing in some fresh ideas (defense, in particular) would have been a good idea, I believe. There is the concern--- based on horrible performances by the D in the playoffs -- that this group (coaches) is not going to get it done.

Players are going to be lost (safety duo?-- not sure of either of them now, Edmunds?). The top end of the draft has not gone well the past few years (so many defensive picks that haven't performed to expectations) . That has to change, or the team will regress.

You never know how long a SB window will stay open (in the Bills' division, the Jets have a really nice roster-- minus QB, and Miami is a threat when healthy). Bottom line, fans are just hoping to see a SB while Allen is here. There are no guarantees, and the conference has several good young QB's, while the Bills have major cap concerns and need to upgrade the roster. So many questions--- but just have to hope everything falls into place one year soon.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, benderbender said:

• Virtue signaling about how you're taking devastating loses with no real explanation like a pro. "My wife didn't tell me why she left, why does McD have to tell me about 13 seconds?"

This one in particular is a tic that I hadn't noticed on this forum until last year, and now it seems like an almost monthly occurrence that someone plays the "nobody owes you an explanation about anything" card.  

Technically, they're right of course.  If McDermott doesn't want to say what happened with 13 seconds, or doesn't want to comment on how Tre is coming along, or whatever, that's absolutely his right as a coach.  And as a fan, I absolutely have the right to advocate for marginally more transparency.  Trust me, I'm not under any delusion that I can stroll into OBD and start demanding answers to all my questions.  I'd just like to know a little more about what's going on with the team, and it's strange to me that certain fans react so viscerally to what strikes me as a perfectly normal desire.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.