Commanders may not pick up Chase Young’s 5th year option

Big Blitz

Ask anybody in DC and they will tell you he is the most overrated player in the league.

Someone is going to give him a huge contract and he’s Jadeveon Clowney at best.

Not picking up the 5th year option on a rookie contract should probably tell you something.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

Ask anybody in DC and they will tell you he is the most overrated player in the league.

Not picking up the 5th year option on a rookie contract should probably tell you something.

So Basham and a 3rd it is

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I know the Bills can’t be in on him and I haven’t seen them play enough to have an opinion on whether he will earn the big contract he’ll get but i have seen enough to say he is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than Clowney.  

• Agree 2

“We can’t afford him”

(Whispers) Trade Oliver and let Edmunds walk 

Im not saying we should do this .. I’m just saying we can 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

so this is kind of interesting because we pretty much consider Epenesa to be a bust, but he has more sacks does Chase

Epenesa is the guy I worry could be the defensive Wyatt Teller.   Not a pro-bowler at EDGE, but a legit pass rusher. 

He’s got some ability and is still figuring it out after our staff put him through a failed body transformation.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

From the team that traded for Wentz, I can’t say I’m surprised.  They are idiots to not pick it up, he’s the type of guy you WANT to use it on.  You get another year with him on a lower salary, once he hits the market you are paying 20+ and a massive signing bonus.  Yeah he’s been injured, but when he’s on the field he’s been really good. 

Guys like Oliver and Edmunds are the worst types to use it on, if a guy hasn’t emerged by year 3, you don’t exercise the option, that’s when you play the game of a franchise tag if they finally blow up or take them at a lower price for longer term if they are staying as a “solid starter” type.  

• Disagree 2

I find it hard to  believe he has been not 1.5 sacks in two seasons, but if true I am not picking up his option either. One season lost is one thing but two is a really bad signal that he is not healing properly. Tre missed a whole season and looked a little "less" when he came back but that is only one season lost. 

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

“We can’t afford him”

(Whispers) Trade Oliver and let Edmunds walk 

Im not saying we should do this .. I’m just saying we can 

Epenesa is the guy I worry could be the defensive Wyatt Teller.   Not a pro-bowler at EDGE, but a legit pass rusher. 

He’s got some ability and is still figuring it out after our staff put him through a failed body transformation.  

2 things.  Why would anybody trade for the production of Oliver and that contract? Maybe a 6th rounder at best for a desperate team.   You will be lucky to find any takers on a one year rental of a guy who has been consistently inconsistent.

And 2, this staff has been atrocious at identifying/developing talent on either line.  AJE won at Iowa by over powering sub par competition.  His combine showed a guy without the burst, bend and general athleticism to be an edge rusher in the NFL, so what do we do, try to make a square peg fit a round hole.  I don’t think you have to worry about him becoming much more than he is. 

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I find it hard to  believe he has been not 1.5 sacks in two seasons, but if true I am not picking up his option either. One season lost is one thing but two is a really bad signal that he is not healing properly. Tre missed a whole season and looked a little "less" when he came back but that is only one season lost. 

He’s barely been on the field.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

so this is kind of interesting because we pretty much consider Epenesa to be a bust, but he has more sacks does Chase

Chase has more trade value than Epenesa and Chase has barely played in two years. That tells you all you need to know about those dudes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Guy looked like a home run pick until he tore his ACL.  There'd be a lot of interest in him for a trade given how starved teams are for pass rushers.  The Bills would have to absorb his 11 million dollar cap hit though so they pry won't be players.

to me it's 50/50 if this guy becomes a pass rushing monster or just flounders around as the most talented under performer.

i don't know exactly what it is, but there is little kook to being a sick pass rusher, and if that's there you get immediate and obvious impact, and if not you just don't.

jarred allen, max crosby, that guy who was in indy across from freeny (mathis?) all late picks, combine reports on all were like "meh, could play" and all of them were like day one monsters.  maybe not their best top level production, but you could tell they had something.

as over rated as the certainty of drafting OTs early (remember the mike lewis book and film?) and as well known the uncertainty of drafting an nfl qb is, i feel like sick pass rushers is just as unpredictable.  

• Like (+1) 1

Chase Young is good, but he has a Clowney-esque feel to his hype. He was a monster in college. Through 27 games in the NFL though he has a total of 75 tackles, 13 TFL's, 9 sacks, and 6 FF. That's not really elite production, though a FF every 4.5 games is being somewhat disruptive. He'd be better than any of our other options outside of Groot and Von. If there was a way to make the financials work, I wouldn't be opposed to packaging a 3rd and a 5th or something like that. Absolutely nothing more. 

Edited by H2o

12 hours ago, benderbender said:

At one point he was the best player on the roster. Washington fans I know personally really question his injury return timeline and his love of the game. But to be honest, we have the same contingent that doubts Tre White as well. 

I feel like Payne and Allen were always better than him.  

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Great question. He’s an absolute stud DE when healthy. Some team will roll the dice if the price is at all reasonable. 

9 sacks in 27 career games.

.33 sacks per game

Roughly 6 per 17 game season

”Absolute” and “Stud” may have applied to him in college but he’s not even close to those words since being drafted. Healthy or not.

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This would be super dumb of the Redskins to not pick up that 5th year. 

Would it though?  He has not resembled the player he once showed promise to be on his way to becoming since the injury.  There is also some grumblings about just how much he loves football or how committed to it he is.  Nobody knows him better than his organization, so if they don't feel like this is a guy to build around or just isn't proving within the organization he is worth that 5th year option, then it's not really a mistake.

A lot of people thought (myself included) that not picking of Watkins 5th year option here in Buffalo was a huge mistake.  Beane proved that our front office and coaching staff had a much better picture of whether or not Sammy was worth keeping than us posters on this board.  Another example that was discussed a lot here on this board was Josh Rosen when AZ traded him after 1 season.  A lot of people here, including a lot of popular posters like GunnerBill (not me, I hated Rosen even before the draft) thought Arizona were fools for giving up on Josh Rosen after one year...AZ showed they knew who he was better than posters here did.  

Thats the life of being a fan rather than an insider.  We have all disagreed with a teams decision thinking it was dumb...sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.  But often, when you are talking about a highly drafted and high profile player that a team is ready to move on from earlier than expected, there is usually good reasons that come to light after the fact.  

I will say this, most Washington fans I know are ready to move on from Young too and hope they trade him this offseason before he goes out next year and further kills his value with another disappointing season.  They figure he still gets a little benefit of the doubt now, like maybe he just took longer to get all the way back from the injury 2 years ago.  But if he doesn't perform well again next year, he will have very little value.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Would it though?  He has not resembled the player he once showed promise to be on his way to becoming since the injury.  There is also some grumblings about just how much he loves football or how committed to it he is.  Nobody knows him better than his organization, so if they don't feel like this is a guy to build around or just isn't proving within the organization he is worth that 5th year option, then it's not really a mistake.

A lot of people thought (myself included) that not picking of Watkins 5th year option here in Buffalo was a huge mistake.  Beane proved that our front office and coaching staff had a much better picture of whether or not Sammy was worth keeping than us posters on this board.  Another example that was discussed a lot here on this board was Josh Rosen when AZ traded him after 1 season.  A lot of people here, including a lot of popular posters like GunnerBill (not me, I hated Rosen even before the draft) thought Arizona were fools for giving up on Josh Rosen after one year...AZ showed they knew who he was better than posters here did.  

Thats the life of being a fan rather than an insider.  We have all disagreed with a teams decision thinking it was dumb...sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.  But often, when you are talking about a highly drafted and high profile player that a team is ready to move on from earlier than expected, there is usually good reasons that come to light after the fact.  

I will say this, most Washington fans I know are ready to move on from Young too and hope they trade him this offseason before he goes out next year and further kills his value with another disappointing season.  They figure he still gets a little benefit of the doubt now, like maybe he just took longer to get all the way back from the injury 2 years ago.  But if he doesn't perform well again next year, he will have very little value.  

All good points. I just think in Young’s rookie season, we saw everything that justifies him being an elite pass rusher. I would give him a pass on the last two years due to injuries. And even if he busts, the risk isn’t that high— an extra year. If he returns to form though next year, the free agent price tag for an elite DE is super high. 

That said, I don’t follow WFT closely, and so can’t speak to his character or effort. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

All good points. I just think in Young’s rookie season, we saw everything that justifies him being an elite pass rusher. I would give him a pass on the last two years due to injuries. And even if he busts, the risk isn’t that high— an extra year. If he returns to form though next year, the free agent price tag for an elite DE is super high. 

That said, I don’t follow WFT closely, and so can’t speak to his character or effort. 

You NAILED it, He’s an elite talent at a premier position that’s had injury issues.  He looked to be on his way to a monster career out of the gate and injuries have slowed him since.  He’s going to get paid big in year 5 either on a prove it deal or as a massive long term deal.  You roll the dice on a big time player at a premium position.

I got all the hate from the homers earlier in the thread for saying the Bills did not use their 5 year options well.  The reason they didn’t is simple, neither Oliver nor Edmunds plays a premium position and neither has ever flashed greatness for more than a game at a time.  Those same haters all thought Gabe Davis was the next Megatron off of one game.   There’s a real world a Bills fan perception I guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.