It’s obvious what ails the Bills, they’re softer than custard.

Tipster19

Here’s where I’m at with these people/position(s).

Beane-I have no confidence in his drafting abilities, too many premium picks that aren’t even on the team anymore.

McDermott-Here’s where the softness comes into play. Great guy, great leader but went for too much happy family syndrome. I don’t see him taking any accountability or holding any one to it. I think I’ll throw up if I hear one more “we’ll learn from this” or “there’s some plays we would like back”. Too much canned cliches and not enough results when the rubber hits the road. The clapping and cheerleading is tiresome, get better with the Xs and Os or get someone who is.

Frazier-I’m not even going to list anything here, just get rid of him. Frazier should have been shown the door 13 seconds after the 13 seconds’ game.

The DL, except for Von Miller and Rosseau, is poor. Unbelievable the amount of resources that were dumped into that position to only have the bozos that we got. As a group they couldn’t sack a field full of potatoes.

The secondary-It’s hard to criticize them with all that they have been through but it’s not in good shape by this year’s end. Aging/aged Safeties, major injury to our star CB and after Elam there’s really nothing but back ups due to a 7th rd draft pick and street FAs. The speed back there is about as fast as a tax return and the results are similar as well, always holding hope to see it but always disappointed when you do. Beane had the balls to say something to the effect that he had to draft a CB (Elam) with a premium pick just to shut people up and get them off his back. No Beane the real reason/answer should be is that it was sorely needed!

The OL-Omg, where do I start??!!! Dawkins needs to shut up and put up. We need a better LT and just make him a RT and reassess him when his contract is up. The Bills need to slide Bates to Center and retire Morse. The rest of the OL isn’t worth much other than a player or 2 that should be back ups.

if Rodgers does end up a Jet than I expect the Bills to finish no higher than 3rd in the division next year. Flush a year and hope for better resources, better contracts and better players to kick in so they don’t lose the window of opportunity with Josh.

• Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It stings but it’s true. Good guys, good, go home and play with the kids! Beane, quit playing Santa Claus and handing out Pegula’s money. McDermott, stand up and take accountability, admit that it all begins with you. Force Josh to take care of the ball better! He put it on the carpet 16 times! Thank God we only lost it 6 times out of it. Furthermore make him take the underneath throws more instead of launching it 40+ yards when it’s 3rd and 7! Hey Josh, quit with the advertisements and get your head back into playing QB and pay attention to the above suggestions.

The only physical player outside of Josh, who I might add is an offensive player, is Milano. I loved it when he hammered Miami’s QB Thompson as he was just about about out of bounds, especially that he did it right in front of their bench and didn’t give 2 hoots about it. He sent a message to them alright but better yet he showed the 2 idiots that were chasing out of bounds. 

Beane, get some players in here that are physical, quit making Feliciano look like a genius. When it comes to football this is the kind of mentality that the Bills sorely need. Coffee is for closers!

I agree with your takes.  Matt Milano is my favorite player on the team.  He presently to me more than any other Bill including Josh exemplifies the "Buffalo work ethic" if you will. 

He works and plays very hard.  Yet all the hits he gives on opponents are clean.  He also goes about his business quietly.

I don't have the exact quote after the Bengal game but I know he said something along the lines of the team didn't have much heart and came out flat.   Being he's a quiet guy in general that says a lot.  

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

To be fair, no thinks Micah Hyde, Von Miller or Jordan Poyer are soft.   

We DO have guys who are more physical.  I'd probably add Phillips, Dane Jackson, Edmunds & Knox.

It's a "team thing", though - overall, we don't play a physical, hard-hitting style of football.  You could see it against Cincinnati, who does play that way.  I don't know what makes for the distinction, but I'm sure coaching plays a part of that.  I don't think Cincy has more physical players - but they play a more physical style.

I suppose a bruiser sort of RB would help, at least on O.

4 hours ago, Radar said:

I agree they feasted on weaker opponents and only by thin margins on many. Josh, Diggs and Milano are surrounded by pretty average players. That's true of many teams though. We need to be stronger up front both offensively and defensively. Agree need more "take what their giving you" offensively.

Yup, Brady’s Patriots demoralized defensives do just that, take the easy first downs and move the chains. We had a few to many ill advised longer / ish passes when an open short pass was a near guaranteed first down. 

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I have a personal moratorium on critizing Allen.  Sure, he fumbles, he throws unnecessary INTs, but he also shoulders the load for this entire team, coaching, the entire offense, leadership.  For every bad play there are 4 or 5 spectacular ones.  If he's not on the team we win may one division game and 4-6 games total, making that "last 20 years" look like a championship run.  That's how poorly Beane has done.  

As to "good guys," you hit on something.  McD is a players coach, just like Levy was.  If we had Parcells, Johnson, or Gibbs back then, with our collection of talent, which Polian said was special, we'd have won one or more SBs.  

As long as we have a players coach, and not a tactician and a coach that knows how to do his part to win on Sundays besides simply standing there clapping and handing out "attaboys," we're in the same boat.  ... except that this team can't even find its way to a Super Bowl.  

Here's my thing, the owners, coaches, and players all treat it like a business.  At the end of the day they even tell us, it's business first.  So why is it that for fans we're supposed to "have understanding" as if we've all been given free tix and merchandise and should merely be grateful for being able to attend or watch.  

They only treat it like a business when it comes to getting paid.  They treat it as a kids game they love playing otherwise.  If they treated it like work and that's their best effort then everyone of them should be fired.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I tend to agree especially after watching them on Sunday.  It's been puzzling, when McDermott came in he preached physicality, discipline and tackling.  And that's exactly the team we had the first few years. Tenacious,  physical. Good tacklers. I don't know what the heck has happened! I used to think Daboll brought a softness to the O, but look how he had the G men playing this year on both sides of the ball! I certainly believe on the D end, it's partly due to Frazier. His personality and style permeate his D. Again you would think a guy who played on those great Bears D's would preach aggressive physical style. It's been very puzzling and disappointing to watch this the last two years.

11 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

They only treat it like a business when it comes to getting paid.  They treat it as a kids game they love playing otherwise.  If they treated it like work and that's their best effort then everyone of them should be fired.

Well, at this point it's pretty obvious that Frasier doesn't have what it takes to make it thru a string of playoff games while playing the kind of D that we play during the season.  

It's also pretty obvious that Allen can use better instruction.  

It's pretty obvious that there doesn't seem to be any kind of methodical approach on game days, more a "shoot from the hip" thing.  

It's also pretty obvious that Beane's 1st and 2nd rounders aren't amounting to the impact players that they should be.  

It's also pretty obvious that McDermott is more of a cheerleader than a tactician, ala the rest of the coaches in the playoffs at this point, and also isn't going to push them over the hump.  

Now with their own decision-making setting us back, for who knows how long, they continue on as if nothing happens.  

To support your statement.  

In a perfect world, Pegula should have told McD that if he doesn't at least get us back to the AFC CG today, that he's gone.  McD should have gotten rid of Frasier after last season, for sure now.  He didn't nor won't.  

At bare minimum, if they want to treat this like a business, unless they want to be JAB (business), changes need to be made at the top levels.  

People ask here, what we do if we're Beane?  It's a loaded question, most of us here wouldn't be in this situation if we had been in charge over the past few years.  Asking other people to clean up an unsolvable mess created by another isn't fair.  

If Pegula had any stones, he'd tell McBeane both, next year they'd better get to the AFC CG or start looking for new work.  But we'll rely on the whole "well, it's better the 20 years of mediocrity" schtick until we enter the next 20 years of it.  

13 minutes ago, JMM said:

I tend to agree especially after watching them on Sunday.  It's been puzzling, when McDermott came in he preached physicality, discipline and tackling.  And that's exactly the team we had the first few years. Tenacious,  physical. Good tacklers. I don't know what the heck has happened! I used to think Daboll brought a softness to the O, but look how he had the G men playing this year on both sides of the ball! I certainly believe on the D end, it's partly due to Frazier. His personality and style permeate his D. Again you would think a guy who played on those great Bears D's would preach aggressive physical style. It's been very puzzling and disappointing to watch this the last two years.

Could also be that McD read too many press clippings about him and the team and went into cruise-control.  We'll never know.  We do know that nothing's going to change tho, the things that we're lacking simply don't appear overnight and for no reasons.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Let me guess, real men don’t feel emotion. 

This team went 13-3 despite EVERYTHING that they had to endure. They’re anything but soft.

They openly admitted that they couldn't get motivated for a divisional playoff game.  That defines soft.

Also, you need to get over this antiquated stereotype about how mental toughness means never showing emotion.  Some mentally tough people aren't overly emotional, but Diggs wears his emotions on his sleeve and he produces on the field at every opportunity.  Knock it off with the outdated tropes.

Edited by BillsFanSD

17 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

They openly admitted that they couldn't get motivated for a divisional playoff game.  That defines soft.

Also, you need to get over this antiquated stereotype about how mental toughness means never showing emotion.  Some mentally tough people aren't overly emotional, but Diggs wears his emotions on his sleeve and he produces on the field at every opportunity.  Knock it off with the outdated tropes.

Was this part aimed at me?

They may have been soft/exhausted/flat for 1 game, but that does NOT define the season. Name another team ever that had to deal with the amount of adversity that this team had to from August to January. They aren’t soft, they’re human and some guys burnt out. It sucks. On to next year, where they’ll be in contention again. 

22 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Was this part aimed at me?

They may have been soft/exhausted/flat for 1 game, but that does NOT define the season. Name another team ever that had to deal with the amount of adversity that this team had to from August to January. They aren’t soft, they’re human and some guys burnt out. It sucks. On to next year, where they’ll be in contention again. 

I think you bring up valid points but the results are the same or worse by year’s end. It’s starting to be something to expect. This team has been through a lot but NOBODY expected them to come out and play the way they did. That can’t be denied. Well they have been through a lot this last particular game they had a TON of reason to come out and play better than what they did. I think the worse part other than the actual butt whipping that the Bengals handed at HOME in front our fans AND in front of Hamlin himself was Beane’s PC. He came out as defeated and with no answers or solutions. He even came over as a bit defensive and said a very surprisingly stupid remark when he stated about not wanting to suck as bad to be able to be in the draft position to get Jamar Chase. Wow, I didn’t see that one coming! Hey Beane, you had multiple chances to draft well but you didn’t from Harrison Phillips (3rd rd), Cody Ford (2nd rd) and Zack Moss (3rd rd). Where are these players now?? To compound it even more these picks were sandwiched around picks that included Tremaine Edmunds (1st rd), Ed Oliver (1st rd), Devin Singletary (3rd rd), Dawson Knox (3rd rd), Epenesa (2nd rd) and Basham (2nd rd). Very uninspiring drafts to say the least. Beane should trade away all of his 1-3 rd picks and start drafting from the 4th rd on, he seems to find better value in the mid to late rds.

We need better players.

4 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Haha I love all this tough guy bravado talk from so many, it’s hilarious! Especially when you throw in comments like “we need guys with attitudes like Incognito or Feliciano!” First of all, Incognito-yikes!!! Second, Feliciano sucked something fierce but he brought attitude and a mean streak, whatever that means. 

Reading lots of praise for Diggs (understandably) but screaming at people isn’t the only way to show passion. OBJ shows “passion” but people on here crush him and call him a diva, bad teammate, blah blah blah. Just because they are making a demonstration doesn’t mean they aren’t passionate about what they’re doing. I’ve heard for years how Quentin Nelson barely says a thing during a game and you would hardly know what’s going on if you watched his facial expressions, but you can’t tell me that guy isn’t passionate about playing football. Joe Montana, same thing

i think many of you confuse skill level with being soft. The teams went through a ton this year and it does have an effect-that being said to do as well as they did, win as many close games as they did (which was the big knock on them last year) shows how mentally tough they are. If you want to talk scheme and all that I’m on board with that, but this argument that the players are soft has no merit at all

What this guy said, he knows everything.  Just ask

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Bringing back Shaq and Jordan Phillips was a solid move that brought some 'edge' to the defense, but they are role players, and more of a 'feel good story'. 

I want to see our oline stepping on necks, And our safeties back to laying the wood next year

You want never see that with Frazier…. He coaches play soft and tackle before the sticks. And it shows up bad when we play a physical team, could you imagine us playing the 49ers… they would probably run 300 yards on us, and kill Allen with this oline. If Frazier is back next year and we get the same outcome, it’s time to fire McDermott!!! 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

They're not soft. They are tactically naive due to managerial arrogance/lack of ability which manifests as unpreparedness in high leverage situations.

No our guys are soft they get pampered by the Mafia too much.  I bet they  would play better in the snow if they shovelled out their own driveways.   You only learn to deal with the elements when you actually deal with them yourself.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I think McDermott is ultra competitive and smart. That could work. But he’d have to allow nasty to be done underneath him. Staff in between him and the captains, then leaders in the rooms need nasty. 

The GM is a prep. Whatever. Maybe physically stay away from what the men are doing on the field and in the rooms. Go be smart and sign and trade in your office. I doubt that when he’s walking the sidelines the players look over and say “I want to go crush my opponent for that guy..” No, they’re thinking, Pay me please for me being a nice guy and a decent player.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It stings but it’s true. Good guys, good, go home and play with the kids! Beane, quit playing Santa Claus and handing out Pegula’s money. McDermott, stand up and take accountability, admit that it all begins with you. Force Josh to take care of the ball better! He put it on the carpet 16 times! Thank God we only lost it 6 times out of it. Furthermore make him take the underneath throws more instead of launching it 40+ yards when it’s 3rd and 7! Hey Josh, quit with the advertisements and get your head back into playing QB and pay attention to the above suggestions.

The only physical player outside of Josh, who I might add is an offensive player, is Milano. I loved it when he hammered Miami’s QB Thompson as he was just about about out of bounds, especially that he did it right in front of their bench and didn’t give 2 hoots about it. He sent a message to them alright but better yet he showed the 2 idiots that were chasing out of bounds. 

Beane, get some players in here that are physical, quit making Feliciano look like a genius. When it comes to football this is the kind of mentality that the Bills sorely need. Coffee is for closers!

I think the Pegula’s have lit Sean up.  To a point wherein his process and strategy is making him a trading target for them to go down the rabbit hole of Vicodin and Molly addiction Sean Payton.  I’d much rather have Sean even for his softness then not knowing I’d our Coach is going to end up in a morgue tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I don't think this would fly with HR these days 😅 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

We DO have guys who are more physical.  I'd probably add Phillips, Dane Jackson, Edmunds & Knox.

It's a "team thing", though - overall, we don't play a physical, hard-hitting style of football.  You could see it against Cincinnati, who does play that way.  I don't know what makes for the distinction, but I'm sure coaching plays a part of that.  I don't think Cincy has more physical players - but they play a more physical style.

I suppose a bruiser sort of RB would help, at least on O.

I think part of the difference is Cinci is built to win their division against Steelers, Ravens and Browns, all of which play a very physical style. The AFC east… not so physical.

Bean has built our team to beat KC who aren’t physical either. He has drafted several undersized quick players on defense who can get pushed around - Oliver, Harrison Phillips, Milano, Bernard, etc. He finally fixed some of that this year by bringing Shaq and Jordan Phillips back. Edmunds should be the tone setter. I saw some of that from him this year but he needs to be better at it. Poyer is also a big hitter but was obviously playing injured this year.

They need to get more tough on the Oline that’s always held the offense back. Defensively the DT group in 2020 to 2021 was a big issue constantly getting run on. In 2022 they brought in D. jones, Settle and J Phillips to overhaul the position group and in the regular season it worked to make the team better against the run.

In the playoffs D Jones not being there and a flat performance from the Dline just led to those issues being there again.

I hope they replace Settle with another big run stuffer and beef up the Oline with two new starters and better depth. 

26 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yes, of course.  You seem to be under the impression that "tough" means silent and stoic.  That's not the case, and you should rid yourself of these sorts of stereotypes about what masculinity looks like.

I think you misread or misunderstood my post, I was defending the teams toughness. I don’t think this team is mentally or physically soft. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

6 hours ago, peterpan said:

People are talking about toughness and all that.  I think toughness is the wrong word- it’s intensity that we lack.  

watch Christian mccaffrey run.  The guy runs with a such intensity and fury .  It’s easily noticeable that something if different with him.  You’ll never see motor or moss or cook run like that.

but you can block like that too(incognito did) Tackle like that too(the best LBs do).  Rush the passer like that too(Bosa, JJWatt, Donald…).

Milano blitzes like that most times, but no one else on our team plays at that level.   They don’t have to be as talented but they can play with that intensity.  I do blame that on coaching.

I think this is probably correct.  Every player in the NFL, even the punters...mostly, are tough guys.  They wouldn't be in the NFL if they weren't tough.  Intensity is probably right.  You have to find those guys that have a bit of a screw loose, the ones who are breaking a bottle in a bar fight and just throwing caution to the wind.  

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I have suspected all season, that the Bills have a team wide Strength, and Conditioning issue. Diggs, and Josh, are an exception, but it was painfully apparent to me, the way this team was pushed around by Cincy, that my suspicions might be correct.

I think the Bills ownership let McDermott know that he’s not as safe as he’d appeared to be.  His sentiments and pressers are now held with much more apprehension and a hint of fear.  Eyes darting off to the side a little bit of trembling and hesitation at questions.  Unlike thirteen seconds I think he knows they’ve let him know after the Super Bowl they could be headed in different directions and have to make a decision on a Coaching staff being more offensively focused.  

4 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

I think the Pegula’s have lit Sean up.  To a point wherein his process and strategy is making him a trading target for them to go down the rabbit hole of Vicodin and Molly addiction Sean Payton.  I’d much rather have Sean even for his softness then not knowing I’d our Coach is going to end up in a morgue tomorrow. 

[Billy Madison everyone in this room is dumber gif]

15 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Ugh... it's not an issue when the Bills beat up on teams, but suddenly is when they lose.

Truth is that the posters who say "the Bills are soft" are simply soft themselves. You're projecting your self-reflected inadequacy onto the team. Glad you could give yourself this little pep talk.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.