Gym Shorts to be Cleveland DC

GunnerBill

Wide-nine D was new at the time he was here. It surprised a lot of teams and was a special wrinkle at the time. I'm not so sure anyone will be surprised by it next season. The key to our success at that time was Jerry and Mario in their prime. Other teams use wide-nine at times these days.

We ought to see what new wrinkle he can come up with this time before we regret that we didn't get him to replace Leslie.

16 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Wide-nine D was new at the time he was here. It surprised a lot of teams and was a special wrinkle at the time. I'm not so sure anyone will be surprised by it next season. The key to our success at that time was Jerry and Mario in their prime. Other teams use wide-nine at times these days.

We ought to see what new wrinkle he can come up with this time before we regret that we didn't get him to replace Leslie.

Honestly the success is usually from the inside push.  Thats what tennessee had with Haynesworth, Detroit with Suh/Fairley, Buffalo with Dareus/Williams, Philly with Cox.  You also usually need a couple good linebackers - at the very least good instinctual players.  Bradham was a solid fit and followed Schwartz to Philly after buffalo.  

Wide 9 has counters of creating rushing lanes for QBs (Who are more athletic now than ever before),  inside zone rushing in general, and play action.  Their LBs and DTs needed to run this aren't all on the team yet so to me we'll see what they do.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

That is a great hire.  Loved his defense here.

3 hours ago, Baba Booey said:

Where ever he has gone, he's had a good to great D. Good for him. Just sad he's with that tire fire of a franchise.

"The Legend", indeed.  A single season in Buffalo.  

He's had 3 top 5 Defenses (scoring) in 20 years in the league.   Frazier has had 3 in the last 4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"The Legend", indeed.  A single season in Buffalo.  

He's had 3 top 5 Defenses (scoring) in 20 years in the league.   Frazier has had 3 in the last 4.

I didnt say I wanted to replace Frazier with him.  I said it was a good hire and it is.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I felt Schwartz deserved to be hired over Rex because of the defense.

I think even Kyle said, "Chain him to the building..." or something to that effect 

I was actually one of the fools that thought Rex would do a good job because he beat the Pats in the playoffs with Sanchez.  I knew he was kind of a clown but I never expected the complete clown show it turned into.

I did want to keep Schwartz but also knew that wasnt going to happen because of different philosophies.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.