Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Billsy or not, we win a super bowl with Hopkins, sig it.  You aren’t stopping Diggs + Hopkins with Allen throwing the ball. With good WR depth like Davis and Shakir eating if teams focus on both Diggs and Hopkins. 

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. But yes Hopkins added to this offense with what we have and added already would be ridiculously hard to stop

Just now, Bruffalo said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but there's no O-Lineman of Hopkins' status available for a trade, much less a presumable cheap-ish trade. 

Just because you have deficiencies in one position group doesn't mean you shouldn't take a golden opportunity to massively increase another.  

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, just that its a ridiculous contention that they're going to win a SB because they added a WR to run routes behind a porous OLine

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

On my admittedly brief dive into interior OL in the draft Avila seemed like a good fit who we could get in round 2. What do you like about him?

He’s one of the best pass protecting linemen in the draft. I’ve skimmed over his stats and game play, and he would absolutely help give Allen the time he needs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Funny listening to Schopp and Bulldog now arguing they want this trade (even expect it now) after disagreeing with callers about it less than 2-weeks ago. 

Well that pretty much mirrors my position on it, so I totally get it.

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Which is why I want to trade for Hopkins and totally dedicate the draft to the oline and a LB

Yeah, after you've traded your first round pick for a guy that probably won't even draw a third. :lol:

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, just that its a ridiculous contention that they're going to win a SB because they added a WR to run routes behind a porous OLine

That's fair.  I do think McGovern is an upgrade from Saffold, but you're right in that I'd like to see them do more (cough cough Spencer Brown). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m making the assumption that Beane will address the oline in the draft. But generally yes I agree with you, but Hopkins should be the first main piece to get us to where we want to go. That allows us to not have to immediate use a pick on WR in the draft, but instead pick up more protection pieces for Allen. 

Avila is my main target for oline, the dude just stonewalls people. 

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

You do understand that you could put Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson out there and it doesn't mean jack spit if your QB is getting swarmed before he even hits his drop?

I think most of us would agree that we would have rather built this thing differently, but given our circumstances, we have no way to build the type of line in FA signings or the draft that pays dividends quick enough to allow this groups of WR's time to be an actual threat to opposing defenses. We should be bolstering the line heavily in the draft this year no doubt. In the interim, Hopkins will create more issues then just about any other option we can pursue given the way the team is built and the needs we have. He will also open up the ability to really focus on the line in the draft.   

They definitely need to improve the oliine. McGovern and Edwards if healthy could raise the iol to competent which is a huge upgrade from last year. They still need to add. A day one or two pick needs to be brought in at minimum. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, after you've traded your first round pick for a guy that probably won't even draw a third. :lol:

I said I would only do it if KC is offering a 2nd, which it doesn’t sound like they are. Nobody said anything about it being a 2023 pick, it can be a 2024 pick. 

Go get Hopkins and use the entire draft on oline and a LB. That’s my plan. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m making the assumption that Beane will address the oline in the draft. But generally yes I agree with you, but Hopkins should be the first main piece to get us to where we want to go. That allows us to not have to immediate use a pick on WR in the draft, but instead pick up more protection pieces for Allen. 

Avila is my main target for oline, the dude just stonewalls people. 

I really like some of the lineman that should be available to us in this year's draft too. I just won't assume they'll acclimate to the NFL game as rookies. That's pretty rare. The recent 2 good OL the Chiefs picked took 2 years before they were playing consistently for example. Doesn't mean I wouldn't still draft them but...

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Hopkins really hasn't shown signs of slowing down. When he returned from his suspension for PED's last year (which he most likely took to help recover from an MCL tear he suffered in 2021) he averaged more yards per game than his career average. He did so with back up's/back up's throwing him the ball. His 2021 year was cut short by actual injury, which was the only such time in his career that happened. Prior, he started 126 our of a potential 128 games. He is a year and half older than Diggs and is basically a lock to get to 13,000 yards receiving which starts to form the argument that he has no right to be excluded from the hall of fame. If anything the time off the last two years likely adds tread on the tires. This is a HOF WR that can give us around peak output for a couple years. While he recognized as being very good, I just don't think many give him the level of respect he deserves as in thinking HOF caliber. His stats say as much, he has just been stuck playing for two horrible organizations that nobody likes or cares about.  

to be 100% clear on ‘21… it was hamstring stuff first, then the knee. He’s great, but I don’t think he’s dominant like he was in Houston or even ‘20 in AZ.

30 yo can be a cliff for some WRs. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What if trade for Juedy has similar cost as DeAndre in terms of pick asked? 

one is cheaper and on the rise, one is expensive and slowing down..,

🤔

I dont think either is true. Jeaudy is still a huge quest mark, drops balls, is likely more interested in $$ after a season than a ring so even if it works out who knows if he can be signed.

Theres literally no indication Hop is slowing down, hes not a burner, never has been, his game should age in late career similar to the way Diggs should.

Not to mention Jeudy plays mostly in the slot, Hopkins is outside where we need the depth. W/ Dhop, you go him and Gabe outside, Diggs in slot, and upgrade 2 positions at once.

Jeudy doing that is a lot more murky at being able to do that.  Might just be adding a 4th slot guy at this point lol 

They just dont remotely compare to me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

If this is still going to happen, the holdup is probably finding someplace to send Oliver or Basham for a not-embarrassing low rate of return.

Hey, I got the 100-page post without even trying.

Honestly, Oliver is fine, but you can get very similar production for much cheaper.  I'd just take whatever you can get.  

If that's the holdup, it's Beane overvaluing his high draft pick.  It didn't work out, he's not the game wrecker we wanted him to be, and that's okay. Just move on. 

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Funny listening to Schopp and Bulldog now arguing they want this trade (even expect it now) after disagreeing with callers about it less than 2-weeks ago. 

They normally do that every 10 minutes on their show.  Surprised it took them two weeks.

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

to be 100% clear on ‘21… it was hamstring stuff first, then the knee. He’s great, but I don’t think he’s dominant like he was in Houston or even ‘20 in AZ.

30 yo can be a cliff for some WRs. 

He’s still dominant, did you not watch him last year? If the guy would have played a full season, he’d be well over 1,000 yards. With back up QBs. Imagine what he would do with Allen throwing him the ball and playing next to a pro caliber WR which he has never done before. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

to be 100% on 21… it was hamstring stuff first, then the knee. He’s great, but I don’t think he’s dominant like he was in Houston or even ‘20 in AZ.

30 yo I can be a cliff for some WRs. 

You're correct, his output after returning from injury does not suggest a wall though. He seems to really take pride in his craft. He was never a guy that had to use elite speed to win. He seems like a player that can play several years at high level. We won't know until we see what happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

on the topic of OL, I think our OL is average. Not great, but nowhere near bad. And we picked up a couple decent players to help.

There's maybe 3-4 truly good OL in the entire league. All the super athletic big men want to play DL, where there is money and glory to be had. 

Sure, if you're the best guard in the NFL you can make some bank, but nobody will notice you. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

on the topic of OL, I think our OL is average. Not great, but nowhere near bad. And we picked up a couple decent players to help.

There's maybe 3-4 truly good OL in the entire league. All the super athletic big men want to play DL, where there is money and glory to be had. 

Sure, if you're the best guard in the NFL you can ,make some bank, but nobody will notice you. 

We’re a RT away from a top OL. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Quit injecting ***** logic into this.....load up on everything but pass protection and let Josh get hit mercilessly 

I dont see how trade a few day 3 picks stops us from doubling down on the offense w/ OL picks, or undoes the two OL we already signed.  To me acquiring Hopkins means higher chance we go OL earlier in the draft than if we dont get him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Sure, if you're the best guard in the NFL you can make some bank, but nobody will notice you. 

Except your qb -- maybe he buys you a cool scooter for Christmas.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’re a RT away from a top OL. 

agreed... Dawkins is a very solid LT, Morse is a very solid C, our guard play is fine (could be better and maybe will be with our FA signings)... I like Spencer Brown more than many and hopefully Doyle coming back from injury adds some competition to the mix

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

agreed... Dawkins is a very solid LT, Morse is a very solid C, our guard play is fine (could be better and maybe will be with our FA signings)... I like Spencer Brown more than many and hopefully Doyle coming back from injury adds some competition to the mix

Beane appears to be banking on Brown's athleticism and the view that injury set his development back. I hope his optimism is well-founded, but I would protect against it maybe not going that way by drafting a potential RT relatively early (not the first.)

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Which is why I want to trade for Hopkins and totally dedicate the draft to the oline and a LB. 

Go get Avila and a RT. Maybe a Drew Sanders for MLB. 

Let's land Hopkins then draft O'Cyrus Torrence in the 1st and LB in the 2nd or Or Trenton Simpson in the 1st and Avila in the 2nd 

• Agree 1