Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

This is the type of move that can get the Bills over the hump.  There would be no more excuses for the offensive side of the football.  If they still cant get it done then either Josh isnt good enough or this coaching staff isnt good enough.  They have the roster.

You should like this move IMO.

Need to improve both lines. The OL isn't good and without Von the pass rush was weak.

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The more I think about Hopkins the more I don't like the move. Giving up draft capital and taking on the cap hit longer term for a soon-to-be 31-year-old receiver who has been hurt the past two seasons. I get how elite he is but I would rather look elsewhere either on the trade market or via the draft. 

I'd reserve judgement.  If we can make it work under the cap and not give up a pick in the first 3 rounds, then I'd say it's a great move.  Hopkins is better than anyone else we will find in FA or in the draft and makes our offense insane.  If these offensive lineman upgrades work out, Harris can run the ball some, and opposing defenses have to worry about Diggs, Hopkins, and Davis.....c'mon.  That's like playing Madden

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Bengals were a play or 2 from winning the SB with a line worse than the Bills

Their defense played better in the playoffs. The Bills defense was disappointing in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Need to improve both lines. The OL isn't good and without Von the pass rush was weak.

If this offense comes to fruition, all we will need the defense to do is force one punt a game.  

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Virgil said:

If this offense comes to fruition, all we will need the defense to do is force one punt a game.  

Diggs and Hopkins will not only do damage themselves, but they will open things up for everyone else. Davis would probably make a great #3 WR. Knox becomes more dangerous as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

I feel like "The Bills are trading for Big Name Receiver X", followed by "Breaking News: Big Name Receiver X has been traded to not-the-Bills" has become a yearly tradition.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The only one I remember is Antonio Brown, and thank God he was traded to not-the-bills

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

I'd reserve judgement.  If we can make it work under the cap and not give up a pick in the first 3 rounds, then I'd say it's a great move.  Hopkins is better than anyone else we will find in FA or in the draft and makes our offense insane.  If these offensive lineman upgrades work out, Harris can run the ball some, and opposing defenses have to worry about Diggs, Hopkins, and Davis.....c'mon.  That's like playing Madden

The details are going to make a big difference. But the cap hit won't be cheap long-term and Hopkins has been banged up the past two seasons and is going to be 31. I fear that if they go with Hopkins and pass on drafting a WR up high a lot of the offensive production is going to rest on an older more banged-up player. Yes any player even a rookie or younger player can get hurt but you do have to play the percentages. 

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Who in FA are the Bills getting to improve the OL?  The Bills have already done what they are going to do on the oline, barring the draft. The oline will be ok when Josh has star receivers on both sides of it, a better slot most likely and hopefully better plans from Dorsey other than just sending guys deep downfield all day.

As for Dline, Von will be back. Wasting more resources on Dline isnt the answer. They have done that multiple years now.

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The more I think about Hopkins the more I don't like the move. Giving up draft capital and taking on the cap hit longer term for a soon-to-be 31-year-old receiver who has been hurt the past two seasons. I get how elite he is but I would rather look elsewhere either on the trade market or via the draft. 

Beane is incapable of drafting impactful players so this is the avenue he’s forced to take. I’m fine with it.

Edited by Governor
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Who in FA are the Bills getting to improve the OL?  The Bills have already done what they are going to do on the oline, barring the draft. The oline will be ok when Josh has star receivers on both sides of it, a better slot most likely and hopefully better plans from Dorsey other than just sending guys deep downfield all day.

As for Dline, Von will be back. Wasting more resources on Dline isnt the answer. They have done that multiple years now.

Sunk cost fallacy.

Just because they have spent a bunch trying to improve the D-Line doesn't mean that the D-Line is good enough and that they should stop trying to improve it.

Don't get me wrong, I want offensive upgrades, and I DON'T want to see a bunch more premium resources be spent on the DL any more than the next guy, but..."we already invested a bunch" isn't a good reason not to continue to try to improve a unit if said unit still is not up to snuff.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The details are going to make a big difference. But the cap hit won't be cheap long-term and Hopkins has been banged up the past two seasons and is going to be 31. I fear that if they go with Hopkins and pass on drafting a WR up high a lot of the offensive production is going to rest on an older more banged-up player. Yes any player even a rookie or younger player can get hurt but you do have to play the percentages. 

I think by the time you spread the ball around along with a good run game Hopkins can handle the load IMO.

Hopkins and Diggs on the field together also opens up other possibilities IMO.

Edited by Figster

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I still think they go OL in Rd #1 especially if they get Hopkins. As for DL I could see the Bills drafting someone as well in the later rounds. Von will be 34 and coming off a major injury. I hope he can regain his form but who knows.

We need to put real playmakers around Josh. If Hopkins is to rich for our blood then let’s get Josh the best playmaker in the draft, Bijan Robinson. Not only a Barkley clone, but an outstanding receiver.

22 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Williams was actually here and in the building though. 

And at Tempo

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sunk cost fallacy.

Just because they have spent a bunch trying to improve the D-Line doesn't mean that the D-Line is good enough and that they should stop trying to improve it.

Don't get me wrong, I want offensive upgrades, and I DON'T want to see a bunch more premium resources be spent on the DL any more than the next guy, but..."we already invested a bunch" isn't a good reason not to continue to try to improve a unit if said unit still is not up to snuff.

Thats not quite what I mean.  Im not saying dont improve it if you can.  Im saying they spent the last few years trying to improve it and they have a lot of money and high draft picks already tied up in it.  At some point you cant ignore the offense in favor of one position group. 

IOW's... dont not sign Hopkins just because you want to try and find even more dlinemen.  These guys should be good enough.  KC made it work with basically Clark.

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I still think they go OL in Rd #1 especially if they get Hopkins. As for DL I could see the Bills drafting someone as well in the later rounds. Von will be 34 and coming off a major injury. I hope he can regain his form but who knows.

Yep on the draft.  I think Von will be fine.  Even a slightly lost step he is still elite.  The guy works his ass off.  I dont see Von being a JAG out there.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

For those that hate this potential move, how would you feel if he signed with the Jets/Pats/Dolphins? Or the Chiefs? 

Big fat linemen in the draft can start and have an impact on day 1. Most WRs, not so much. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Thank you (+1) 4