How is Skip Bayless employed as a sport analyst??

BuffaloBills1998

I would answer the question in the thread title with the following question:

Why in the world would you watch/listen to/follow programming of this type?

It's just garbage designed to create content to sell ad time around.

Just like pre-game shows, post-game shows, and halftime shows.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I know nothing about this dude ( Bayliss)… is he just the sidekick on the show?

He seems to get a lot of attention for someone that doesn’t seem to know sh*t from clay…

I resent that last remark!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Skip is now 71.  He's an old guy hanging on in a young man's world.  He actually made his bones as a legitimate investigative sports reporter, winning many awards.

His ship lost its rudder when he went full-time TV in the early 2000s.  Now he's simply a "hot take for clicks" guy.  Anyone who watches him for anything substantive is an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t really care I just think it’s hilarious how he’s in the position he’s in and is obviously doing the bare minimum of doing research on players since that’s his job. 

Yeah, that “kid” is going to be something, alright. This is a little too much like a typical ESPN show for me. Ignorant people all talking at the same time is a bad formula, and I think Skip is one of the worst out there (along with Booger). Shannon is no treat either. I’ll put his show on and mute it until Cowherd comes on. Some don’t like Cowherd (I generally do) but putting him on after Bayless makes him look like a superstar. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t really care

You care enough not only to watch it, but to start a whole new thread about it in an attempt to get other people to also watch it.

You are the mark. ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don’t really care I just think it’s hilarious how he’s in the position he’s in and is obviously doing the bare minimum of doing research on players since that’s his job. 

His job is to play a character. If you watch those shows as if they people are performing a character, instead of being an analyst. It makes much more sense

• Like (+1) 1

Every click he gets proves his worth to the people paying him.

I stopped clicking on Nik Rite's garbage after one time for that very reason.

• Like (+1) 1

Bayless reinvented sports journalism, and not in a good way.  There are a ton of guys now who realize they might be able to make millions by just making outrageous claims and statements. You don't have to be that informed, or follow the games that closely.  

I’m not sure if this will get removed but I thought this was really funny. He’s gonna be a star at some point at age 33🤣

Because people like you watch it and share it with everyone 

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Every click he gets proves his worth to the people paying him.

I stopped clicking on Nik Rite's garbage after one time for that very reason.

Same.  Quit bringing the garbage stuff over to tbd.  If they want to watch it, fine.  Im not clicking on the click bait though 

Why anyone would watch any hot takes show particularly on ESPN is far beyond me.  Unfortunately,  people do watch and post their trash takes on the internet and the snowball keeps growing and they get  millions of clicks and generate millions of ad revenue. 🙄 

• Like (+1) 1

There are two types of people that report on or talk about sports.

1.) People who actually try to analyze the game, break news, discuss strategy and matchups, impart information, and generally be an actual journalist/analyst/reporter.

2.) People who play characters. These are carnival barkers, clowns, pro wrestling personas. Stephan A Smith, Skip Bayless, Nick Wright, even Kyle Brandt (albeit he's more intelligible and likable and benign than the others).

There are dozens and dozens of the former, and most blend together. They are a dime a dozen.

There are only a few really notable, well-known examples of the latter. They stand out. They get paid the big bucks.

I hate that this is so. I absolutely love analysis and absolutely loathe shouting talking head TV. 

Alas, the carnival barkers are what get the ratings. Sort of symptomatic of our culture at large and the type of entertainment we tend to gravitate toward as a society.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yeah...he is annoying, but so is Stephen A Smith, Dan Patrick, and almost all of these talking heads.

Both you and I know their names though, and we have obviously done some listening, so good for them for making a lot of money doing what we do but with advertising dollars and large forums.

My local guy in Colorado was so nauseating. After 6 months of hearing his schtick about the backup left guard, the below average minor league relief pitcher, or the 11th man off the bench in basketball, I knew he was grasping for material and lessened my intake.

I can't lie though. I did love hearing him bash on how much Russell Wilson sucks now, was a system QB, and he is completely fake with his NFL persona!

2 hours ago, Logic said:

There are two types of people that report on or talk about sports.

1.) People who actually try to analyze the game, break news, discuss strategy and matchups, impart information, and generally be an actual journalist/analyst/reporter.

2.) People who play characters. These are carnival barkers, clowns, pro wrestling personas. Stephan A Smith, Skip Bayless, Nick Wright, even Kyle Brandt (albeit he's more intelligible and likable and benign than the others).

There are dozens and dozens of the former, and most blend together. They are a dime a dozen.

There are only a few really notable, well-known examples of the latter. They stand out. They get paid the big bucks.

I hate that this is so. I absolutely love analysis and absolutely loathe shouting talking head TV. 

Alas, the carnival barkers are what get the ratings. Sort of symptomatic of our culture at large and the type of entertainment we tend to gravitate toward as a society.

That's what people don't get about the Dan Le Batard show...it's a parody of basically skip bayless and way to serious sports talk by people who most likely never even watched the game they are talking about.

How do ANY of these so-called "experts" have any viewers/listeners at all?! Seriously, do any of those shows enhance anybody's life at all?

The really funny part is that tens of millions of sports fans know more than the "experts" that spew out their "hot takes." It's really puzzling to me. Like someone said earlier, "why does anybody care what these morons think or say?"

I stopped watching/listening to these shows, AND pre-game shows decades ago. Got way better things to do with my time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

When has Skip Bayless ever been reputable in a good way? He is a turd. Always has been, 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't watch this kind of programming, but it seems obvious to me that he's making a joke about Brown being very old in the clip in the OP.  

On the other hand, if it brings you joy to assume that Bayless is an idiot and/or that you should be angry at him, feel free.  That's what Bayless is getting paid for.  He's a big boy, and he can take it.

it's part of his shtick.....every successful show needs a contrarian/bad guy....otherwise its boring.

he's good at being a jerk. 

what i can't stand.... about him and others like stephen A is they constantly interrupt their debate partner(s) acting superior. i can't watch that.

11 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

How do ANY of these so-called "experts" have any viewers/listeners at all?! Seriously, do any of those shows enhance anybody's life at all?

The really funny part is that tens of millions of sports fans know more than the "experts" that spew out their "hot takes." It's really puzzling to me. Like someone said earlier, "why does anybody care what these morons think or say?"

I stopped watching/listening to these shows, AND pre-game shows decades ago. Got way better things to do with my time.

Bob, like you, I ditched the pre-game show 15 years ago with their slow-motion highlights, and players laughing about the good old days, reliving their playing careers.

I do enjoy sports radio and listened to Colin Cowherd consistently since he joined ESPN in 2004. 

But I agree the show developed numerous problems. 

1. The same guests, in the same timeslots, every week.

2. No variation in topics - LeBron, Brady, Rodgers, Cowboys, Westbrook. It's the same show every day. 

3. His co-host, man or woman, has too big of a role. Nobody wants to hear Kristine Leahy, Joy Taylor or Jason McIntyre (obnoxious Jets fan) talk. 

I stopped listening to his show the day he came in with a new idea - the Broncos trading Russell Wilson for Kyler Murray straight up. 

Now I just listen to WGR 550. I don't learn anything listening to them because it's generic fan talk, but at least it's Bills and Sabres talk and not media driven storylines about who is going to be the MVP, or an ESPN Who's The Best ranking show. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.