How do you feel as a parent about your child playing football?

Royale with Cheese

My kid is only 7 so I have awhile where I think I have time before impacts can hurt the body.  I know what happened yesterday has never happened in the NFL and is extremely rare.  But I will never forget about Damar Hamlin...ever.  My son plays every sport and man, I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable seeing him take a big shot, it will happen, those who have played before knows this.  

Again, I know it's a one in a hundred million but it's also your child.  I'm going to let him play what he wants to play but last night was just so scary.

I played lacrosse and soccer in high school and college and have the aches and pains to show for it.  I can't imagine how much worse if I had played football.  So - probably not encouraged.    

• Like (+1) 2

I’m glad I have girls.  Having suffered multiple concussions and a serious neck injury in HS football, I am still in pain and will be for life. 

I would not want my boys to play but would have a hard time not letting them.

with girls, my decision was made for me.   I am thankful to God for them every day.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My kid is only 7 so I have awhile where I think I have time before impacts can hurt the body.  I know what happened yesterday has never happened in the NFL and is extremely rare.  But I will never forget about Damar Hamlin...ever.  My son plays every sport and man, I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable seeing him take a big shot, it will happen, those who have played before knows this.  

Again, I know it's a one in a hundred million but it's also your child.  I'm going to let him play what he wants to play but last night was just so scary.

Royale, I have two sons and both were athletes.  Neither had any serious injury from football.  However, my oldest who is 23, had a full ride in lax and had all 5 of his concussions fro lax and 0 from football.  My middle never had a serious injury and is 21 who now is growing part time while finishing his PT degree as a football coach.  

I have friends whose kids had multiple concussions in soccer.  You can’t bubble wrap your kids.  My one son practicing in a flag league (adults) tore his ACL, PCL, MCL by just pivoting from an out to inside route without contact from anyone.

Myself, I beaned a kid on middle school in baseball as I hit a line drive wide to him in the head while on the bench so not with a helmet on so he went to the hospital and was a complete accident.

Myself I live with broken noses, fingers, more soft tissues than I can describe from wrestling.  Even more for 16 years of powerlifting.  Pretty much every joint has been injured multiple times.

Are you getting my point?  It was a freak accident.  You also don’t know as they don’t have definitive info whether Hamlin had an undiagnosed coronary abnormality.

Royale, you’re a good dude, but you can’t bubble wrap your kids.  Think about it and before you make that decision, really, not supwrficially do you’re hw.  You can always have youre boy play flag football as they can get a lot of skills down until 12.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have a 7 year old who will be playing this year. He’s played 2 years of flag and wrestled for 3 years. It’s all he wants to do. I don’t feel right about taking it away from him. Hopefully he will prefer baseball by the time he’s old enough to really get hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

Both of my kids played football. My oldest just played in the youth leagues and then got out afterwards. The youngest seemed to be more into it until Covid. His last year in the youth league was cancelled and he didn't like the coach at his middle school. 2019 was the last year he played. He has talked about it a couple of times since and I told him I will support him no matter what he does. As of right now, he's more into culinary than he is lacing the cleats back up. 

I grew up playing sports including football from when I was 7 until I graduated high school. So many valuable life lessons I learned from the sport as well as amazing friends that I still have to this day in my thirties. 

Like someone posted above, the benefits of playing team sports, especially football, far outweigh the pitfalls of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Always been reluctant, I let me kid play till he was in grade 10 and thankfully it wasn't because I told him to, he was just too small.

I didn't want him playing because of risk of paralysis, then over time CTE got better well known.  This Damar situation is a real fluke imo, could happen in almost any contact sport.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Still doesn’t bother me 

You can get hit with a line drive in baseball and die

That almost happened to my son in a minor league Blue Jay game. He was pitching and a line drive glazed right by his temple. One of the scariest things I've ever experienced. In sports you just don't know how and when it will happen.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That almost happened to my son in a minor league Blue Jay game. He was pitching and a line drive glazed right by his temple. One of the scariest things I've ever experienced. In sports you just don't know how and when it will happen.

Yea that’s scary 

Baseball players can also take a line drive to the chest and it causes cardiac arrest like Hamlins hit

This situation is really a fluke type thing that could happen in any sport where contact is made.  Having said that, my kids aren't playing football, mostly because I haven't steered them towards it.  I wanted to play as a kid, but was advised against it for my own personal medical reasons.  My Dad was a very good football player, but also told me not to play - said it wasn't much fun and you could end up with a lot of long term pain.  Now that I'm older, I don't regret not having played at all.  High school basketball and baseball were more than enough to keep me active and teach me the value of teamwork.  

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How about a line drive to the face.  Being a pitcher is a scary proposition imo.  

I played tackle football from 6th grade through senior year. It was such an amazing experience and teaches you a lot of valuable lessons. That being said, I suffered an open compound fracture of my ankle, and had several concussions, now being almost 40 my body just hurts all the time and I get debilitating headaches, some of my issues can be attributed to the military but most of it was football. Me and my wife are still undecided on kids but I am not sure if we'll sign off on football if we have one.

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Still doesn’t bother me 

You can get hit with a line drive in baseball and die

Very true, but the opportunities for that to happen are infinitesimal compared to football, where there is the possibility of serious injury on virtually every play.

My wife made it clear early on that our son was not going to play football, and I was honestly okay with that.  I didn't play organized football growing up, so it wasn't a hard thing to go along with.  Our son is 20 now and plays college baseball.  He has had his share of injuries -- hip, back, ankle, knee, elbow.  He's an outfielder now so he's run into a couple of fences as well, which is ironic because I worried more when he was a third baseman.  I've seen kids get hit the face by pitched or hit balls and sustain serious injury -- broken noses from curveballs that didn’t break, broken orbitals from a bad hop and from a hole in the BP net.  It's never good to see that happen to your child.  Or to any child.  But I can't imagine what it would be like watching him play football.  I love watching the game but am so glad he never played it.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BRH said:

Very true, but the opportunities for that to happen are infinitesimal compared to football, where there is the possibility of serious injury on virtually every play.

My wife made it clear early on that our son was not going to play football, and I was honestly okay with that.  I didn't play organized football growing up, so it wasn't a hard thing to go along with.  Our son is 20 now and plays college baseball.  He has had his share of injuries -- hip, back, ankle, knee, elbow.  He's an outfielder now so he's run into a couple of fences as well.  I've seen kids get hit the face by pitched or hit balls and sustain serious injury -- broken nose, broken orbital.  It's never good to see that happen to your child.  But I can't imagine what it would be like watching him play football.  I love watching the game but am so glad he never played it.

As somebody who grew up with the game of football and it’s been a huge part of my life since I was a child

I just would have to let my child make the decision

I have seen serious injuries in a lot of sports… If my child wanted to play football… Well I wanted to when I was a kid because my dad Coached

Maybe modified football in seventh grade would be the first time… not 6 like me

• Like (+1) 1

The Damar situation is a freak thing that could happen at any time.  You could be a spectator at a baseball game and take a line drive right in the exact spot and have the same thing happen.  You could also be rear ended at a stoplight and have your body hit the steering wheel at the exact same spot.  Or fall off a bicycle and land in the wrong way and hit that spot.  So I would not let the Hamlin injury stop me from letting my kids play.

That said, the head injuries, spinal injuries, etc. WOULD influence my decision.  And it would be a difficult one.  I played in HS and loved it.  Decades later, I still have very fond memories of playing.  It also was very good for me at the time - helped me stay in shape, be diciplined, manage my time, face adversity, work as part of a team, build friendships with guys I didn't know that well, etc.  I have daughters, so it's not a choice I have to make.  That said, my wife doesn't want our daughters playing soccer because of concussions from heading the ball.  Instead,it's swimming and basketball.  A poorly executed dive into the pool, a fall and hitting of her head on the hardwood, etc. could also cause a serious or even fatal injury, so nothing in life is truly safe.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

As somebody who grew up with the game of football and it’s been a huge part of my life since I was a child

I just would have to let my child make the decision

I have seen serious injuries in a lot of sports… If my child wanted to play football… Well I wanted to when I was a kid because my dad Coached

Maybe modified football in seventh grade would be the first time… not 6 like me

I don't judge people who let their kids play football.  And I completely understand that you have to let your kids choose their own path.  I got lucky because my son played the sport I love the most.  If I'm being honest, though, that was partly because of me.  Young kids do what they think will make their parents happy, and then they make their own decisions around middle school.  Fortunately he was always really good at baseball and loved it enough to make it his own thing.  If I had grown up in a football-playing family, maybe I would have steered him differently.  But maybe not.  My wife *did* come from a football family and what she saw -- multiple concussions, steroid use among her cousins back in the day, etc -- turned her off enough from it to insist that he never play.

40 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

My son will never play football because of CTE concerns, among others.  Nothing to do with what happened last night.

The game is 10,000 times safer in that regard than when even I was playing. I am only 35. The kids nowadays hit like one time per week plus gameday. We used to hit every day in practice and do drills like "bull in the ring" and "Oklahoma" each practice too. IMO the risk of concussions and CTE in football now is maybe a little more than soccer, basketball or other sports and football is way cooler. I'm of the opinion the positives of participating in football outweigh the negatives. Boys need this type of thing

Edited by LanderPoke
  • Agree 2

I always think of "Finding Nemo," and the whole idea that you can protect your kids too much, and prevent them from experiencing some really important things in life.  

There is always a balance there.  Of course there are situations where the risk outweighs the experience they could get.  But as others have stated, a lot of sports they play carry some risk.  My kid played lacrosse & got a concussion, which made me 2nd guess everything.  But it was such a rewarding experience on so many levels for him to play that game.  For me, it's worse to think of what he would have missed by not playing it.

8 minutes ago, BRH said:

I don't judge people who let their kids play football.  And I completely understand that you have to let your kids choose their own path.  I got lucky because my son played the sport I love the most.  If I'm being honest, though, that was partly because of me.  Young kids do what they think will make their parents happy, and then they make their own decisions around middle school.  Fortunately he was always really good at baseball and loved it enough to make it his own thing.  If I had grown up in a football-playing family, maybe I would have steered him differently.  But maybe not.  My wife *did* come from a football family and what she saw -- multiple concussions, steroid use among her cousins back in the day, etc -- turned her off enough from it to insist that he never play.

Most women I know never want their children to play football

It’s a protection thing 

But again letting your kid play football is not like enabling him to do drugs… So for me it’s his choice

I coach youth baseball and football. My son is 12. 
Generally, before they hit HS, they don’t hit each other hard enough to cause severe injuries. He played flag when he was younger and had more injuries doing that. 

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My mom was a school psychologist.  She forbade me from playing football, and I had a batting helmet that make me look like the Great Gazoo.  She had seen too many young men getting concussed and having awful downstream consequences.  This was the 1970s when 'getting your bell rung' was a sign that you were playing hard.  I was mad about it at the time, but I get it now.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s a protection thing 

But again letting your kid play football is not like enabling him to do drugs… So for me it’s his choice

Well, thankfully, we never had to have that conversation.  Even though he had a great arm, he was stocky and slow as a child so he knew that if he played football he'd end up on the offensive line, and he had no desire to do that, so it was never an issue.  He never once asked to be signed up to play football.  

Truthfully, though, I was more thankful that he never wanted to play soccer either :) 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s a protection thing 

Right.  I did my best to let Royale know all the other examples of injuries in other sports. Concussions, broken bones, soft tissue injuries, torn ligaments, etc all not from football.

I won’t repeat.  Just do the hw. On soccer, lax, and other sports like mine in wrestling and powerlifting on multiple injuries.  All the technique in the world can’t remove injury risks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.