Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Knowing Damar is still purposefully sedated as they control his swelling on his chest and lungs, I have questions for those of you who are doctors and specifically neurologists.  Isn’ t it usual that they wait around 2-3 days and then do something like a CT scan to confirm effective brain activity before risking removing him from that sedation and all o2 to make sure he will handle it effectively ? Then probably an MRI looking for further organ impacts at a later time? I am asking this based on experiences I have had with family and friends in traumatic situations and assume any cessation of oxygen must require some evaluation of these factors. Interested in your feedback. 

First of all, I don’t want to speculate at all about what might be happening. As I previously posted, hypothermia is a set protocol that is set in motion asap following a cardiac arrest. Our hospital continues this for 24 hours and this requires that the patient be fully sedated(drug induced coma). The neurologist is usually called in after this is completed, especially if the patient isn’t waking up. Obviously, the longer the patient requires CPR, the greater the risk for an anoxic brain injury. A non contrast Head CT is often done as it is a quick procedure but sometimes the patient is not stable enough for this early on. MRI testing is much harder to get in critically ill patients but is sometimes done if the results can help the neurologist in decision making. I worked at UC hospital during part of my residency. Excellent hospital. I’m sure he is getting top notch care.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Ah.  Yes, not induced coma.  Different situation for my father.  Immunotherapy for cancer caused his body to attack his lungs among other things.  

14 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

he was asking about induced coma.  you have to be awake to get weaned off the vent or at least breathing on your own

.  Hope he did ok.

Wow i'm so sorry to hear that :( . 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The NFL pretty much has to take care of Hamlin, vested or not.  It would be an enormous and very public black eye for the "Shield" to do otherwise. 

I don't like the "McDermott is still battling" message.  There was something said about a member of the Bills organization who collapsed from exhaustion and emotion.  I hope that wasn't McD, or that if so, he is able to be resilient.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The NFL pretty much has to take care of Hamlin, vested or not.  It would be an enormous and very public black eye for the "Shield" to do otherwise. 

I don't like the "McDermott is still battling" message.  There was something said about a member of the Bills organization who collapsed from exhaustion and emotion.  I hope that wasn't McD, or that if so, he is able to be resilient.

Terry Pegula also told the Hospital to do everything they need to do, he will cover everything. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 17

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but at what point do they take him out of sedation? Or what needs to happen before they do that? 

There's not a set time in my opinion.  When they think he can take breaths, they'll lighten the anesthesia and decrease the rate on the ventilator to see if he can breath over it to maintain his oxygen level.  Then they'll keep going down on rate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

So did McD go to the hospital on Monday night? I'm assuming yes, but didn't see or hear that confirmed anywhere. The hospital seemed to be continuously staked out by media since shortly after DH was wheeled in there.

seems they let Diggs in so ? Highly likely and lets assume he prayed over him like a Father might

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I was in an induced coma for 8 days  24 years ago. Things may have changed, but I don’t remember any of it or the day after. 

I was just thinking about this. When he finally comes to, I imagine the last thing he'll remember is playing in the game. Will probly be a total mind f when his family/Dr's tell him what happened and everything that followed in the days after

Drove through downtown Cincinnati tonight during my daily work commute and all of the buildings are lit up blue and red.   Paul Brown stadium is blue and the convention center turned their huge “Cincinnati” lights into a blue/red display.  Bengals have been my 2nd team since moving here in 2008 (when it has no impact on the Bills) and seeing how this city has stepped up has solidified that for me.   Especially with Zac Taylor as their coach. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, coastalpika said:

Drove through downtown Cincinnati tonight during my daily work commute and all of the buildings are lit up blue and red.   Paul Brown stadium is blue and the convention center turned their huge “Cincinnati” lights into a blue/red display.  Bengals have been my 2nd team since moving here in 2008 (when it has no impact on the Bills) and seeing how this city has stepped up has solidified that for me.   Especially with Zac Taylor as their coach. 

Agreed. I really have a soft spot in my heart for that team and city. It started with the famous Bengals/Ravens game and grew big time since Monday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

When someone is in an induced coma are they completely unaware they are unconscious or do some come out somewhat aware they were?  

Individual responses to anesthetic drugs do vary so I wouldn't want to exclude that some might come out aware, just as some patients are conscious during surgery under general anesthesia and remember it.

For n of 1, when my mom was sedated and placed on a ventilator, then transported in an ambulance to the major teaching hospital, she didn't remember a thing about it.  She remembers being in one hospital having just eaten some breakfast, then waking up 28 hrs later in the ICU of a different hospital, and nothing in between.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

seems they let Diggs in so ? Highly likely and lets assume he prayed over him like a Father might

I was out for dinner tonight in Cincy, and our server was at the game - He said Diggs got an Uber with Allen to go to the hospital - I thought it was just Diggs - Very cool in any event!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From Cincy...

2nd graders make cards for Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin (wcpo.com)

CINCINNATI — As Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin remains in critical condition, students at a Mount Lookout elementary school are hoping to spread some joy and well wishes for Hamlin and his family. Second graders in Beth Martin's class at the Kilgour School broke out their glue stickers, markers and pencils Wednesday to make "get well soon" cards for the 24-year-old.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Nick Wright takes the Bills hate mask off. Really great statements here. 

Huh.  All right I gave him the click.

And I thought what he said made so much sense that now I may have trouble visualizing his nose as a tiny penis in future.

Go figure.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's not the Bills youtube page; it's a fake.

Please stop posting it.

Thanks

Just an FYI, it seems they have set up multiple fake accounts that looks like the official Youtube Page for the Buffalo Bills.

I have found at least 3 different youtube pages that try to look like @buffalobills official youtube account.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

I was out for dinner tonight in Cincy, and our server was at the game - He said Diggs got an Uber with Allen to go to the hospital - I thought it was just Diggs - Very cool in any event!!

the ESPN reporter the night of the incident only mentioned Diggs (and that he actually had to vouch for Diggs to the policeman or whatever - ha!!!).  So I don’t think Allen was with him, or else he would have been mentioned too for sure.

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

I'm literally just hoping and praying that he wakes up , able to live life  and sees the countless love that has been shown to him. He's going to be blown away I'm sure

Cincy has an incredible fan base. They're amazing 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Huh.  All right I gave him the click.

And I thought what he said made so much sense that now I may have trouble visualizing his nose as a tiny penis in future.

Go figure.

Still don’t like him nor will I give him clicks 

5 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

This made my eyes water. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think Yolo's meaning was that the hospital and its staff need to tread very carefully about releasing medical information about Damar Hamlin's condition.  Privacy of personal health care information from unauthorized release by physicians, hospitals etc is one of the things HIPAA actually DOES prohibit.

The hospital staff updates Damar's family and anyone else he's previously authorized (team rep maybe).  Then they decide what information to release and when

Damar's family will make the call on what information we get. No one else.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

I’m glad he’s able to muster up some basic human decency. Call me petty but I refuse to give this DB the satisfaction of a click.  I’m halfway surprised he didn’t somehow try to spin this into another one of his tired “why Josh is inferior” takes. He could be providing the most unique, caring, and eloquent of thoughts and it wouldn’t erase all the BS that is his schtick. 

Though, strangely, Brady of all people has earned a few points with me through this ordeal by supporting Damar. Still cannot stand that man, but he was at least tolerable for as long as it took me to get through his related tweets. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I’m glad he’s able to muster up some basic human decency. Call me petty but I refuse to give this DB the satisfaction of a click.  I’m halfway surprised he didn’t somehow try to spin this into another one of his tired “why Josh is inferior” takes. He could be providing the most unique, caring, and eloquent of thoughts and it wouldn’t erase all the BS that is his schtick. 

Though, strangely, Brady of all people has earned a few points with me through this ordeal by supporting Damar. Still cannot stand that man, but he was at least tolerable for as long as it took me to get through his related tweets. 

Every NFL player looks at Damar Hamlin and thinks "that could have been me."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

Knowing Damar is still purposefully sedated as they control his swelling on his chest and lungs, I have questions for those of you who are doctors and specifically neurologists.  Isn’ t it usual that they wait around 2-3 days and then do something like a CT scan to confirm effective brain activity before risking removing him from that sedation and all o2 to make sure he will handle it effectively ? Then probably an MRI looking for further organ impacts at a later time? I am asking this based on experiences I have had with family and friends in traumatic situations and assume any cessation of oxygen must require some evaluation of these factors. Interested in your feedback. 

Typically they will continue with the awakening trials that I have discussed, daily. If he isn't having purposeful responses, an EEG may be done to monitor brain activity. However, it should be done with no sedation. This is not ideal in an intubated patient since it is very uncomfortable. But sometimes if there are no responses, you can take off all sedation while the patient is intubated. With no responses, they arent fighting the vent, pulling at tubes/lines, etc. Typically around day 12 they will begin talking about a tracheostomy and PEG tube (tube through abdomen into the stomach) if he isn't responding. Continued intubated can cause damage to the trachea. Hopefully we don't get that far.

With all this said, I did see tweets that they said there were positive signs of improvement. This suggests there is some type of response that they've seen.. He should be off hypothermia by now and I'm sure they've done at least one SAT. The positive signs they may be seeing could be reflex response, pain response, movement, or even following commands (i dont think he is there yet based on limited updates). 

Edited by Herc11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

I could give a rats a$$ about anything that POS says about anything.   All he has ever done was trash the Bills, Allen especially.   Nick Wrong has no business being employed by any network but has made a name for himself creating high click content due to ridiculous takes.  Total A$$ CLOWN.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It could be him. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was… he’s weathered storm after storm (Life and Football) the last 8-12 months. It takes a toll.

Being the person everyone looks to is exhausting on it’s own… mix in major events like:

Kim Pegula

Topps Shooting

Matt Araiza Rape Allegations 

Luke Knox Passing

Dane Jackson Neck Injury

Micah Hyde Neck Injury

Josh Allen UCL

Von Miller ACL

Game Moved to Detroit Due to Weather

Travel Back to Buffalo on X-Mas Eve Canceled 

Damar Hamlin

Everything we know about him says that he won’t give up… the “funny part” is… he created an amazing environment that will support him in the event he is struggling. 

1 hour ago, PaulieYayo said:

Terry Pegula also told the Hospital to do everything they need to do, he will cover everything. 

As he should. Wouldn’t expect anything less. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 years ago this week for me, i was involved in gnarly accident. Was struck by a large vehicle, thrown 30 feet, 6-7 surgeries, lost a limb, nasty nasty concussion. I was unconscious for 5 or 6 days.

Obviously different physical traumas, but i would guess the public would be surprised how much a victim like that can remember.

I didnt remember anything about my accident, where i was/how i got hurt or any of my week in the hospital. Slowly with time, i started getting poloroid snapshots of different moments within that week.

Years later i can remember several different clips from that first week.  Will be interesting to see him fully recover and maybe get to watch his perception of his accident grow over the years as he tells the story.

I half tried to share my perspective, half needed to vent a little here too. The timing of this so near my anniversary, has made me a little bit more raw this week than in past years. So thanks for that ❤️

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 22

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It could be him. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was… he’s weathered storm after storm (Life and Football) the last 8-12 months. It takes a toll.

Being the person everyone looks to is exhausting on it’s own… mix in major events like:

Kim Pegula

Topps Shooting

Matt Araiza Rape Allegations 

Luke Knox Passing

Dane Jackson Neck Injury

Micah Hyde Neck Injury

Josh Allen UCL

Von Miller ACL

Game Moved to Detroit Due to Weather

Travel Back to Buffalo on X-Mas Eve Canceled 

Damar Hamlin

Everything we know about him says that he won’t give up… the “funny part” is… he created an amazing environment that will support him in the event he is struggling. 

As he should. Wouldn’t expect anything less. 

Good point that being the one everyone looks to takes a high toll of emotional energy, and that the Bills have gone through A Lot this season.

I hope you're correct and that he reaps the reward of having created that environment, if he needs the support himself.  I hope he's OK.  It would certainly be understandable if he's struggling, or temporarily overwhelmed.  But I think the Bills needs him right now, so I hope he's able to tap the inner resources of his Faith and his family, and be present for them.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

3 years ago this week for me, i was involved in gnarly accident. Was struck by a large vehicle, thrown 30 feet, 6-7 surgeries, lost a limb, nasty nasty concussion. I was unconscious for 5 or 6 days.

Obviously different physical traumas, but i would guess the public would be surprised how much a victim like that can remember.

I didnt remember anything about my accident, where i was/how i got hurt or any of my week in the hospital. Slowly with time, i started getting poloroid snapshots of different moments within that week.

Years later i can remember several different clips from that first week.  Will be interesting to see him fully recover and maybe get to watch his perception of his accident grow over the years as he tells the story.

I half tried to share my perspective, half needed to vent a little here too. The timing of this so near my anniversary, has made me a little bit more raw this week than in past years. So thanks for that ❤️

God bless man that is horrible 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.