Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

Just now, Mango said:

So this is something that needs to be talked about more. Or at least framed properly. 

Hamlin didn’t almost die. He died on national television, and all his friends, family, and teammates watched. 

It’s a little bit of a pain point for me when I hear the “what ifs” in terms of scheduling. “Well we have to see how he does”. Why? All of his best friends watched him die, and saw him laying dead for 9 minutes. 

He may well recover, but none of that changes the above. 

I agree. Everything is forever changed with the NFL, the Bills, the Bengals, the fans and most importantly for him and his family. Dealing with this has certainly f'd with me a lot

I'm just hopeful that he is able to recover and have a normal life...this is just awful

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Truly an incredible job from the first responders on the field. I hope they get the recognition they deserve, assuming they are comfortable with it, as well as all of the support they may need for processing such an event.

It really cannot be stressed enough how their response and coordination are the only reason Hamlin is alive and has any kind of fighting chance. Remarkable stuff.

I think they should get a minute of fame at the Super Bowl recognizing them and all their counterparts around the league. I seriously think it’s well deserved. 

And if they happen to get seats to see the Bills win the SB……..😋

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I agree. Everything is forever changed with the NFL, the Bills, the Bengals, the fans and most importantly for him and his family. Dealing with this has certainly f'd with me a lot

I'm just hopeful that he is able to recover and have a normal life...this is just awful

There have been days after Bills losses where I would say that I’ve been “depressed” - Houston playoff game, 13 seconds, etc and in a fog. Today was such a different level. Im genuinely worried about the people and don’t give a ***** about the record. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I am still shook by this. 

Not that I shouldn’t be. 

But I have a serious pit.

My partner asked me today “will you be happy again?” Clearly I will. Life goes on. But there is a heaviness to our home today. 

• Like (+1) 5

This injury was the culmination of 9 months of pain and tragedy that has faced our region this year. Just couldn’t take it anymore. Called into work. Kept the kids home for their first day back to school post holidays and we as a family just spent the day together. 

we needed to be together today. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

So this is something that needs to be talked about more. Or at least framed properly. 

Hamlin didn’t almost die. He died on national television, and all his friends, family, and teammates watched. 

It’s a little bit of a pain point for me when I hear the “what ifs” in terms of scheduling. “Well we have to see how he does”. Why? All of his best friends watched him die, and saw him laying dead for 9 minutes. 

He may well recover, but none of that changes the above. 

And unless you've been in a situation where you've witnessed active CPR and the use of an AED there's no way to prepare for seeing it the first time. It's violent and scary, I feel really bad for those guys having to watch it happen to their brother, thank God they started compressions quickly. If you have an opportunity, learn CPR and how to use an AED. Love to all my bills family, still feeling pretty numb. Praying for damar

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Regarding the "5 minute warmup blame game, as K-9 and others have asked, let's set aside the pointless inquisition of fault. It's witch burning and it's speculative and serves no good purpose. We don't need a pound of flesh. Our world needs forgiveness and understanding. No individual or organization is perfect.

The outpouring of humanity is the huge silver lining in this tragedy. It has helped restore my faith in my fellow humans.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...Jason Hanold, who is an executive search agency CEO and trustee of the National Football Foundation and College Football HOF, just donated 20K to Damar's charity...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonhanold/

image.thumb.png.19aa6e6d4cfc92a0f84261a3b501f374.png

Awesome. And just two spots below someone made a $10,000 anonymous donation.

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

the names are good too.  It publicizes and makes real the individuals who support him. 

Publicity yes. It publicizes those who made donations. PT Barnum would be pleased.

Regardless of attribution, $5.5 million is an incredible number.

I'm sure there are those who donated $30 knowing that it meant they'd go hungry for a day or two.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Even Kevin Bacon played in a couple preseason games for the Chargers. 

Thanks for a much needed laugh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There have been days after Bills losses where I would say that I’ve been “depressed” - Houston playoff game, 13 seconds, etc and in a fog. Today was such a different level. Im genuinely worried about the people and don’t give a ***** about the record. 

We have all been there. Wide right happened on my 14th birthday. Back in the old days, people did get hurt playing the game, 1971 apparently a Lions WR passed away during the game for the same injury Hamlin has. The level of violence in the game today is greater than it has ever been; the players are bigger, faster and stronger than ever. Yeah they take the risk on, but man it's becoming life or death (especially when you include CTE). Seeing the Talley's struggle stays with me a lot too, but what happened to Hamlin is really terrible. I have just been uncomfortably numb for the last 24 hours and will still be for some time. I care more about the players, their families and Damar more than anything else right now. Screw playing football right now

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think they should get a minute of fame at the Super Bowl recognizing them and all their counterparts around the league. I seriously think it’s well deserved. 

And if they happen to get seats to see the Bills win the SB……..😋

Great idea. They should fly them to the Superbowl and give them their proper recognition

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We have all been there. Wide right happened on my 14th birthday. Back in the old days, people did get hurt playing the game, 1971 apparently a Lions WR passed away during the game for the same injury Hamlin has. The level of violence in the game today is greater than it has ever been; the players are bigger, faster and stronger than ever. Yeah they take the risk on, but man it's becoming life or death (especially when you include CTE). Seeing the Talley's struggle stays with me a lot too, but what happened to Hamlin is really terrible. I have just been uncomfortably numb for the last 24 hours and will still be for some time. I care more about the players, their families and Damar more than anything else right now. Screw playing football right now

I agree with everything you say here, and everything in the post you replied too.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Tomlin is a great person by all accounts. I was listening to a former play - didn’t catch the name - and they said back in their playing days he BEGGED Tomlin to let him play after an injury. Even brought in doctors and so forth to convince Tomlin. After a bit, he kicked everyone out of the room except the player and told him “if you were my child, I wouldn’t let you play” and that was that. He cares about his players.

Certain things about Tomlin and McDermott’s leadership styles seem pretty similar. Must be something they picked up from the football program at William & Mary. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

excellent news!  edit:  what source?  Don't see it but his oxygen requirements are decreasing which is good but not as good.

Pray without ceasing that his 02 requirements are decreasing 🙏🏻

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This injury was the culmination of 9 months of pain and tragedy that has faced our region this year. Just couldn’t take it anymore. Called into work. Kept the kids home for their first day back to school post holidays and we as a family just spent the day together. 

we needed to be together today. 

last night one of my most low thoughts was just what a cosmic ***** slap this was aimed at not only the Bills but the  city as well. ENOUGH ALREADY

Haven't we suffered enough in 2022 enough Now 2023 too?

Today upon reflection and observing the outpouring of love and compasion for Damar Hamlin I am convinced this was not solely a tragic freak injury that happened Yes to our Bills brother But it happened to our human race. And has brought people of all races colors and political persuasions together for One Purpose. To do what we can to help save this mans life by praying. This situation So much bigger than NFL football. I think we can all agree on that. Prayers for #3

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

last night one of my most low thoughts was just what a cosmic ***** slap this was aimed at not only the Bills but the  city as well. ENOUGH ALREADY

Today upon reflection and observing the outpouring of love and compasion for Damar Hamlin I am convinced this was not solely a tragic freak in jury that happened Yes to our Bills brother But it happened to our human race. And has brought people of all races colors and political persuasions together for One Purpose. To do what we can to help save this mans life by praying. This situation So much bigger than NFL football. I think we can all agree

Its not about Us Today my friend. 🧡

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

That 10% survival is incredibly misleading because of the delay of medical attention and AED equipment in most cases.  Hamlin has immediate professional care and an AED on hand. Survival rate far different if I recall survival for him is around 58% but don't quote me on it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Its not about Us Today my friend. 🧡

listen I know. I was scolded for saying this last night too. My posts are clear where my heart is. It is an observation Im allowed to have. It doesnt mean I care Less about #3

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

this is saying the commotio has a 10% survival rate?  have to wonder how skewed stats might be with the bulk of them being young kids. Hamlin is carrying more muscle, hoping it helps support some of the blunt trauma

To better characterize the clinical profile of this syndrome we have now assembled 69 well-characterized cases, including 34 occurring during organized competitive athletics and 35 that occurred during informal recreational sports at home, school or the playground or during other non-sporting activities.

Ages ranged from 1 to 38 (mean 12) with 70% < 16 years old. The most common sports involved were youth baseball (n=39), softball (n=7), and ice hockey (n=7), but with 3 each in football and soccer and 2 each in karate and rugby.

Chest blows were produced in 52 (75%) by a projectile that was part of the game itself such as baseballs or hockey pucks; the other 17 events (25%) did not involve a projectile, but rather were the result of broad surface bodily contact with the victim’s chest, such as in a collision with a teammate or a karate kick.

Seven of the 69 commotio cordis victim’s (10%) survived their cardiac arrest; in 5 of these 7 survivors cardiopulmonary resuscitation by bystanders was particularly prompt (² 1 minute).

Eleven of the 59 commotio cordis events (19%) occurred despite the presence of chest padding or protection, while in the other 48 victims the precordium was completely unprotected.

Of note, 4 of the victims in the study group of 69 experienced modest chest blows removed from sports activities, either in playful or adversarial circumstances; each of these was convicted of criminal acts within the justice system.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

Today upon reflection and observing the outpouring of love and compasion for Damar Hamlin I am convinced this was not solely a tragic freak injury that happened Yes to our Bills brother But it happened to our human race. And has brought people of all races colors and political persuasions together for One Purpose. To do what we can to help save this mans life by praying. This situation So much bigger than NFL football. I think we can all agree on that. Prayers for #3

First off, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately, there are those that see this horrible incident as a reason to get on their soapbox for whatever cause they feel like banging the drum for and that is really discouraging to me.

I'm not saying anyone here has done that but social media, specifically Twitter, has been 99.9% in support of Hamlin, Bills, buffalo, etc. But that 0.1% makes me just as sick to my stomach as watching the game and the coverage over the past 24 hours.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Regarding the "5 minute warmup blame game, as K-9 and others have asked, let's set aside the pointless inquisition of fault. It's witch burning and it's speculative and serves no good purpose. We don't need a pound of flesh. Our world needs forgiveness and understanding. No individual or organization is perfect.

The outpouring of humanity is the huge silver lining in this tragedy. It has helped restore my faith in my fellow humans.

Awesome. And just two spots below someone made a $10,000 anonymous donation.

Publicity yes. It publicizes those who made donations. PT Barnum would be pleased.

Regardless of attribution, $5.5 million is an incredible number.

I'm sure there are those who donated $30 knowing that it meant they'd go hungry for a day or two.

Thanks for a much needed laugh.

I’m not understanding the angle you’re coming from. You call for understanding and forgiveness for them telling the teams to warm back up, but then get upset because people left their names on large donations, as somehow the people who left their names off of their large donations did a better thing or the ones who “won’t eat because of their $30 donation” was less self serving. Who cares where the money came from or if they donated anonymously, isn’t the bigger deal that over $5 million was raised? 

this next part isn’t necessarily directed at you personally, but I have never understood the negative reactions people have when large amounts of money are used for a good cause. In this case when people have left their names instead of donating anonymously. Couldn’t it just be they wanted to donate a larger amount of money and didn’t care if people knew? That it wasn’t about getting publicity? 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t believe that they wanted it to continue. The wording is key. Continuing the game was definitely an option in real time. We’ve seen games continue after players were taken off in an ambulance. 

Joe Burrow was throwing passes.  Diggs called in the offense, trying to get offense focused on game it seemed- 

it seems to me that they were getting set to start up-  then Taylor ran over from his sideline and asked Sean “What do you want to do?  Whatever you decide”

and that’s when Taylor and Sean decided to pull both their teams off the field

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.