Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

Just now, Mango said:

The initial rumors and reports were that the league wanted the game to continue. 

The league said that was crazy. 

ESPN said, that's not crazy, we literally just reported what you told us. We communicated in real time. You tried to play the football game

The league sucks. 

I don’t believe that they wanted it to continue. The wording is key. Continuing the game was definitely an option in real time. We’ve seen games continue after players were taken off in an ambulance. 

25 minutes ago, LanderPoke said:

Is it known when CPR started? Was it right away or was it some minutes after Hamlin went down?

Hamlin had trainers running over to him right away and getting on their radios, likely to call for the emergency physicians and the code equipment

So I think it's a very good assumption it was started right away. 

The only delay would have been to get his face mask unscrewed and enough of his pads removed to perform CPR.  I would think that could be done PDQ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The initial rumors and reports were that the league wanted the game to continue. 

The league said that was crazy. 

ESPN said, that's not crazy, we literally just reported what you told us. We communicated in real time. You tried to play the football game

The league sucks. 

Guarantee NFL said continue to play  give McDermott and Taylor credit for saying to the ref go tell the NFL to f*** themselves we are not continuing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Gary Marangi said:

Guarantee NFL said continue to play  give McDermott and Taylor credit for saying to the ref go tell the NFL to f*** themselves we are not continuing

Let’s all quit speculating.  Keep Damar front and center in our thoughts right now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Like everyone with a pulse, my prayers, thoughts and hope to Damar Hamlin and his family for the best outcome for this young man to survive, and hopefully, fully recover form this tragic event.

This unprecedented event (during a NFL game) has shown the best, and unfortunately, the worst of our society.

The best in the almost universal outpouring of support from so many people whether they are fans or not.

The best in the stellar and quick response from the medical personnel on site, the result of a concerted effort by the NFL and teams to be 100% prepared to address any tragedy like this.   They had the proper tools and expertise that, probably saved this young man’s life.

The best in the sensitive way ESPN handled the unforeseen event unfolding on live TV to millions and million tuning in with horror.

The best in how both coaches and the players immediately were more concerned with their fallen brother than any silly football game.

The BEST in how thousands of people from around the country have donated over $4 MILLION to Hamlin’s Foundation.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow...Jason Hanold, who is an executive search agency CEO and trustee of the National Football Foundation and College Football HOF, just donated 20K to Damar's charity...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonhanold/

image.thumb.png.19aa6e6d4cfc92a0f84261a3b501f374.png

Even more awesome is that reading through the comments, it appears pretty much every fanbase is represented and many college fanbases as well...closing in on $5 million.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Gary Marangi said:

It’s possible everyone was treating this like other serious injuries. 5 minute warmup and play is probably common procedure. Once Hamlin was taken off the field I want to believe everyone, including the NFL, realized this is different and the game cannot go on.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Loyal BF said:

Like everyone with a pulse, my prayers, thoughts and hope to Damar Hamlin and his family for the best outcome for this young man to survive, and hopefully, fully recover form this tragic event.

This unprecedented event (during a NFL game) has shown the best, and unfortunately, the worst of our society.

The best in the almost universal outpouring of support from so many people whether they are fans or not.

The best in the stellar and quick response from the medical personnel on site, the result of a concerted effort by the NFL and teams to be 100% prepared to address any tragedy like this.   They had the proper tools and expertise that, probably saved this young man’s life.

The best in the sensitive way ESPN handled the unforeseen event unfolding on live TV to millions and million tuning in with horror.

The best in how both coaches and the players immediately were more concerned with their fallen brother than any silly football game.

The BEST in how thousands of people from around the country have donated over $4 MILLION to Hamlin’s Foundation.  

I’ll add, anybody iffy giving money to the foundation, NFL players get 2/3 of their jersey sales through licensed retailers.

We grabbed two and donated as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gary Marangi said:

This is an example of some of the worst I mentioned above.  

There is no way you can “guarantee” anything of the sort.  It’s a form of smearing.

It is common sense (and what we can glean from Troy Vincent’s public statements) was that the shock of what was transpiring, what was of upmost importance and the concentration was on Hamlin’s well being and was foremost on everyone’s minds.

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...Jason Hanold, who is an executive search agency CEO and trustee of the National Football Foundation and College Football HOF, just donated 20K to Damar's charity...

Don't get me wrong, its great he donated.  But I am more impressed by the large donation(s) which are/were done anonymously

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Loyal BF said:

Unfortunately, social media has showed the worst of too many cynics that use this as a way to vilify Commissioner Goodell and the NFL.   Like a lynch mob, without any shred of actual knowledge of exactly what transpired in the communication between the officials and the coaches and Mr. Goodell himself, the rush to judgment and insane rush to assign blame and smear Goodell and the NFL by conjuring up motive and dishonest assumptions of what they “want"

As in, Goodell wanted to continue the game and only cared about the game.....or....the NFL does not care about players health.

Even on other Bills forums, this ugliness has risen from the gutter...

Op’s rant against Goodell & the NFL.

How sad, disappointing and infuriating. 

You just proved my point above.  This is lynch mob baloney.

You cannot “guarantee” anything!!!!  How disgusting.  

Agree.

Bad things happen, and it is human nature to cast about for a scapegoat, but there does not have to be a villain pulling the levers.

Won't stop folks from looking.

I am glad they cancelled the game, I appreciate that there were medical personnel there to quickly respond to the event.

I appreciate the City of Cincinnati, the fans, coaches, and players who were classy and caring hosts.

I am just hoping for the best for this young man. That's enough for me to focus and keep tabs on.

Other folks will do what they do.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Mr. Eisen very eloquently stated what many of us are dealing with today.

I know I am guilty of celebrating the violence of the sport, literally reveling in the physical punishment our defense inflicted on Mike White of the Jets a few weeks back.  If Milano's hit had been a couple of inches further up and to the right, at a specific time in White's heartbeat... who knows?

They're human beings.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

My best guess is that this is correct.  The Hit didnt look severe enough to cause commotio cordis, and if it did, he would have sudden vfib, and wouldnt have stood up.

I think a vascular injury, vertebral artery (neck seemed to take most of the blow) or aortic/subclavian artery rupture/dissection is most likely. Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

Wouldn't a vascular injury serious enough to cause Hamlin to go down require emergency surgery to repair the vessel.  That doesn't seem to be the case here

6 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Mr. Eisen very eloquently stated what many of us are dealing with today.

I know I am guilty of celebrating the violence of the sport, literally reveling in the physical punishment our defense inflicted on Mike White of the Jets a few weeks back.  If Milano's hit had been a couple of inches further up and to the right, at a specific time in White's heartbeat... who knows?

They're human beings.

I get the thought, but you can't think like this. This is a incredibly specific and rare type of injury. It's really not about the hit, as this injury is classically more linked to baseball. It can even happen through general horseplay and goofing off with buddies or kids being stupid.

Yeah the game is violent and has a lot of problems and these guys are putting themselves in harms way, but this was such a freak event on a rather mundane play, I just don't believe it's fair to examine the overall issue in that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Wouldn't a vascular injury serious enough to cause Hamlin to go down require emergency surgery to repair the vessel.  That doesn't seem to be the case here

I don't believe he would have survived if this was a serious vascular injury. I pray that's not the case, because there was simply too much time between the hit and even just when he finally left the stadium. Being able to survive and recover from an injury like that would arguably be even more of a rare event than the occurrence of the injury itself.

29 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Always a class act. Mike Tomlin shares about his personal relationship with Damar Hamlin (since he was 12) and how he reached out to Sean to offer any assistance he can provide.

It’s amazing to see how much cross team knowledge about players and families there is.  I guess with college, various football camps and free agency guys interact with each other frequently.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

They might choose to treat medically until stable:   https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/aortic-dissection/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20369499 

Just now, Dick_Cheney said:

I don't believe he would have survived if this was a serious vascular injury. I pray that's not the case, because there was simply too much time between the hit and even just when he finally left the stadium. Being able to survive and recover from an injury like that would arguably be even more of a rare event than the occurrence of the injury itself.

Yes.  He would most likely be dead if it was a vascular injury.

Even local cardiologists here are saying they feel its commotio cordis.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/medical-experts-discuss-damar-hamlin-what-may-have-caused-cardiac-arrest

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s amazing to see how much cross team knowledge about players and families there is.  I guess with college, various football camps and free agency guys interact with each other frequently.

Given roster turnover I can’t imagine there are any two players in the NFL with more than two degrees of separation.

18 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

That’s my big worry. I know he’s in the induced coma to give his heart and brain a chance to recover. But how is his brain gonna be after needing CPR for nine minutes? 

I normally can’t stand Mike Schopp but he kicked his show off today saying maybe we all changed a little bit after witnessing that last night. I think he nailed it. I’m having a hard time giving a ***** about week 18 or the playoffs right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I get the thought, but you can't think like this. This is a incredibly specific and rare type of injury. It's really not about the hit, as this injury is classically more linked to baseball. It can even happen through general horseplay and goofing off with buddies or kids being stupid.

Yeah the game is violent and has a lot of problems and these guys are putting themselves in harms way, but this was such a freak event on a rather mundane play, I just don't believe it's fair to examine the overall issue in that way.

I played until high school and if I was more gifted would have gladly played as long as possible. Unfortunately i was only 5'10 165 , so my dreams evaporated after HS. But I had a blast. Great memories 

I love this game and no matter what happens with Damar , I hope the game doesn't change. 

We know what we're signing up for when we hit that field. And myself and millions others love and risked our bodies to play this game

I'm 33 and I'm sickened by this and I don't know Damar personally but I'm pretty certain , for him to reach this level, he loved this game and wouldn't want it to change. We all know the dangers and signed up anyway.  Kinda like going to war. This is an extremely physical, strategic and violent game. That's a reason I love it and I'm sure many others. 

Watching a 24 y/o clinging to life makes me sick. I'd be sick if he wasn't a Bill but it makes it that much more personal.  But anyone that played or is a real fan knows that this was a possibility on any given Friday, Saturday or Sunday

It's just prayers to Damar Hamlin and his family and the game goes on. 

19 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Always a class act. Mike Tomlin shares about his personal relationship with Damar Hamlin (since he was 12) and how he reached out to Sean to offer any assistance he can provide.

Tomlin is a great person by all accounts. I was listening to a former play - didn’t catch the name - and they said back in their playing days he BEGGED Tomlin to let him play after an injury. Even brought in doctors and so forth to convince Tomlin. After a bit, he kicked everyone out of the room except the player and told him “if you were my child, I wouldn’t let you play” and that was that. He cares about his players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.