Daniel Jones receives standing ovation from Giants fans

Beck Water

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jones-gets-standing-ovation-as-giants-return-to-postseason-a-special-mome

With just over 7:30 left in the game, coach Brian Daboll pulled Jones off the field mid-drive. Giants fans went wild for their QB and teammates mobbed him.

"That was a special moment," Jones said of the curtain call. "A lot of guys who've put in a lot of work. We've been through, certainly, some tougher times and it feels good to be on this side of it, for sure. Special moment with those guys. Really proud of this team, proud of what we did today. Grateful to be a part of it."

It's been a heck of a turnaround for Jones. The former Duke QB struggled in bad offenses through his first three seasons, prompting the Giants to decline his fifth-year option. However, Jones found new life under Daboll, managing the turnover issues that plagued him, showing accuracy on the move and knowing when to use his elusiveness.

Anyway, congrats to Brian Daboll on reaching the playoffs his first season.  But playoffs at 9-6-1 and #3 in their division?  Who would have thought?

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

While he is not elite, I think he has done enough that he will be the Giants QB going forward. I also expect them to resign Barkley as well.

I see them at least franchising Barkley.  As for Jones, he will want to be paid.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

I'm sure that this won't be the popular opinion, but I think that Schoen and Daboll are going to approach this the same way that the Bills did with Tyrod Taylor in 2017.  They supported him all season, made the playoffs and generated all kinds of goodwill for the team and fanbase

But they'll likely be one and done in the playoffs and whatever team they play (likely SF) will expose Jones for the limited, mediocre QB that the NYG know that he is

Then, they'll trade him in the offseason, and build up the capital to draft one of the prized rookies

But they're not giving Daniel Jones a big new contract, or paying his 5th year option.  That goes against everything that they're working toward in the next few years

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

32 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm sure that this won't be the popular opinion, but I think that Schoen and Daboll are going to approach this the same way that the Bills did with Tyrod Taylor in 2017.  They supported him all season, made the playoffs and generated all kinds of goodwill for the team and fanbase

But they'll likely be one and done in the playoffs and whatever team they play (likely SF) will expose Jones for the limited, mediocre QB that the NYG know that he is

Then, they'll trade him in the offseason, and build up the capital to draft one of the prized rookies

But they're not giving Daniel Jones a big new contract, or paying his 5th year option.  That goes against everything that they're working toward in the next few years

I agree. The Giants have to know that Jones is not worth paying or tying themselves to for any longer. I’m not sure that they’ll trade him in the off-season though. If they find their guy in FA or via trade, then certainly. If they don’t and have to draft a QB then they’ll likely keep him for year 4 - or at least until after the draft.

Chicago is the interesting team where it comes to lower drafting teams looking for a QB. They’ve got Justin Fields and pick #2 right now. Seems like they’ll be moving one of those. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm happy for Daboll and the Giants since I have a lot of friends and family who are big time fans.

Goes to show what great coaching can do for what was believed to be one of the worst rosters in the NFL heading into the season.

Also can't believe that we chose to let Hodgins go to keep a guy like McKenzie on this roster. He's probably going to be a star next year while 'Lil Dirty' will be out of the league and lucky to be on a practice squad somewhere.

• Disagree 4

45 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

The only way he gets a contract offer from the Giants is if Dabol want to keep him for the next 3 to 5 yrs, 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

While he is not elite, I think he has done enough that he will be the Giants QB going forward. I also expect them to resign Barkley as well.

I disagree. He might be there next year, but at some point I think daboll tries to find his next Josh Allen. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm happy for Daboll and the Giants since I have a lot of friends and family who are big time fans.

Goes to show what great coaching can do for what was believed to be one of the worst rosters in the NFL heading into the season.

They have one of the worst SOVs in the entire league and had a -28 point differential heading into yesterday's game against the woeful Colts.  Daboll has done a nice job, but they are a product of their weak schedule and quite a bit of luck in close games.  They are the spitting image of the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

Also, Hodgins is averaging 10 ypc.  He will never be a star, lol.  He's David Nelson. 

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

They have one of the worst SOVs in the entire league and had a -28 point differential heading into yesterday's game against the woeful Colts.  Daboll has done a nice job, but they are a product of their weak schedule and quite a bit of luck in close games.  They are the spitting image of the 2017 Buffalo Bills.  

It's not a coincidence that the NFCE is sending three teams to the playoffs and two of them are fighting for the 1 seed overall

I think once again that Spotrac is pretty close to what Daniel Jones is worth to the NY Giants.

$25.5M per year on a 3 year "prove you can do it contract" is pretty fair for both sides.

Add some playoff and individual stat incentives and Jones and his agent should go for it.

A 3-year contract for the Giants lets them get out after next year if they had to.

They have zero chance for a rookie, and they can't take the risk of missing out on the couple of worthy FAs next season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/daniel-jones-29041/market-value/

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would be very worried if I was a Giants fan and they re-signed Jones.

If you look at their roster on offense, they really don't have much with the exception of Barkley. Their OL hasn't been good. The WR's are below average and that is being kind. I think Jones can be a decent QB if he has the talent around him. He will never be like Allen or Mahomes and put the team on his back and carry them to victory. 

• Agree 1

I think the Giants have a dearth of talent, worse then when Buffalo ended the drought.  Without having a good enough draft position, they're not landing an elite QB without trading a decent number of picks away...picks they desperately need to improve the talent around the QB and RB.  If I were them, I'd keep Jones and do everything I can to actually get some real talent on that team.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Also, Hodgins is averaging 10 ypc.  He will never be a star, lol.  He's David Nelson. 

I dont think anyone ever had him labeled as a young Antinio Brown, but a guy who can get open in short space, with his height, and hands, is a redzone target any team would love to have!

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jones-gets-standing-ovation-as-giants-return-to-postseason-a-special-mome

Anyway, congrats to Brian Daboll on reaching the playoffs his first season.  But playoffs at 9-6-1 and #3 in their division?  Who would have thought?

I hope the Giants re-sign him 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I see them at least franchising Barkley.  As for Jones, he will want to be paid.

Don't know many people that work at any job and don't want to get paid.  Not every teams starting quarterback is gonna command top qb salary and there are plenty of NFL players with the intelligence to understand their worth and to not demand what they don't actually deserve.  He has proven capable under competent coaching.  He has a place in the NFL as a capable qb but nothing special.  He can earn a very nice living going forward as a vet bu qb if the giants decline to resign him.  He can be Dabolls vet mentor for a rookie qb they draft if they find one in the draft they think they can develop into more than Jones gives them. If no qb in this draft fits their needs then they can do worse than keeping with Jones until they find a better qb, and as a Bills fan we know that can take awhile.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

So you are saying the Jiants have potential.

David Nelson was a decent complementary receiver but the better comparison is Jake Kumerow.  Hodgins is not a good WR blocker but David Nelson was.

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Jones is an UFA after this season so no chance to trade him (and they're not franchising him).

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Too funny.  I was going to say in the Hodgins thread that he's David Nelson. 

And I agree mostly with them being the 2017 Bills.  The trick is now finding that franchise QB and having sustained success.

15 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Don't know many people that work at any job and don't want to get paid.  Not every teams starting quarterback is gonna command top qb salary and there are plenty of NFL players with the intelligence to understand their worth and to not demand what they don't actually deserve.  He has proven capable under competent coaching.  He has a place in the NFL as a capable qb but nothing special.  He can earn a very nice living going forward as a vet bu qb if the giants decline to resign him.  He can be Dabolls vet mentor for a rookie qb they draft if they find one in the draft they think they can develop into more than Jones gives them. If no qb in this draft fits their needs then they can do worse than keeping with Jones until they find a better qb, and as a Bills fan we know that can take awhile.

Yes, that's what I was saying.  He'll want to be paid.  Will the Giants give him what he's asking for or will another team?

And why would he be a mentor for another QB and not just leave for where they'll make him their long-term starter?

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm curious to see what he asks for.

What's 60 passing TDs in 54 games worth?  He's firmly in Tyrod Taylor career country now.

It's a mediocre Defense.   It's Offense only reached up to mediocre because of Barkley.  They have to franchise him--he IS their Offense.  Left on his own, how many games do the Giants win with Jones?

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree. The Giants have to know that Jones is not worth paying or tying themselves to for any longer. I’m not sure that they’ll trade him in the off-season though. If they find their guy in FA or via trade, then certainly. If they don’t and have to draft a QB then they’ll likely keep him for year 4 - or at least until after the draft.

Chicago is the interesting team where it comes to lower drafting teams looking for a QB. They’ve got Justin Fields and pick #2 right now. Seems like they’ll be moving one of those. 

I expect them to draft a WR1 for Fields to hit.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's 60 passing TDs in 54 games worth?  He's firmly in Tyrod Taylor career country now.

It's a mediocre Defense.   It's Offense only reached up to mediocre because of Barkley.  They have to franchise him--he IS their Offense.  Left on his own, how many games do the Giants win with Jones?

Probably, but he's an UFA at the end of the year and is coming off his best season.  He'll want to strike while the iron is hot.  Will someone give him big bucks?

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I think Dabs knows Jones is not the long term solution but he'll enjoy this somewhat surprising playoff season. They're not signing him to a big deal.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Probably, but he's an UFA at the end of the year and is coming off his best season.  He'll want to strike while the iron is hot.  Will someone give him big bucks?

"hot" lol.  

they will make him an offer.  but I'm betting the outside interest is low.  If this is as good as he gets with Daboll, who thinks they can do better with this guy ?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Jones is an UFA after this season so no chance to trade him (and they're not franchising him).

Too funny.  I was going to say in the Hodgins thread that he's David Nelson. 

And I agree mostly with them being the 2017 Bills.  The trick is now finding that franchise QB and having sustained success.

Yes, that's what I was saying.  He'll want to be paid.  Will the Giants give him what he's asking for or will another team?

And why would he be a mentor for another QB and not just leave for where they'll make him their long-term starter?

Because while he has proven he is capable he likely really knows it's all about the team and as he is a FA he can listen to any offers he chooses for whatever conditions he deems most important.   He doesn't strike me as a party boy so bright lights of NYC may not appeal to him.  Then again he might be a regular at some den of iniquity currently big there.  

Giants have usually been pretty well run and they maycoffer a reasonable deal with acceptable incentives to justly compensate him if he can perform to those levels.  Shoen won't offer him a kings ransom because Jones is nowhere near being king of the top nfl Qbs.  He knows how to play 8n dabolls system and he may decide he has more growth under daboll and if he takes a incentive deal he already knows this system so he's got a leg up on a talented rookie.  So he may feel he's better off competing in a system he knows and players he has chemistry with and keep getting better.

Basically he hasn't proved he's a franchise QB but he isn't trash either.

Depends on if they have a QB they feel can easily step in for Jones and that would be alot of pressure on a rookie.  Smart move on both sides as I see it  is offer and accept an incentive- balancing contract that will reward growth and pay for production while not putting an anchor on team if they do get a better qb that outgrows Jones.  

Edited by AuntieEm

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"hot" lol.  

they will make him an offer.  but I'm betting the outside interest is low.  If this is as good as he gets with Daboll, who thinks they can do better with this guy ?

For him, yes, it's a hot iron. 

As for outside interest, the draft is weak and who is the top available QB?  Carr?  Someone taking another chance on oft-injured Jimmy G?

7 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Because while he has proven he is capable he likely really knows it's all about the team and as he is a FA he can listen to any offers he chooses for whatever conditions he deems most important.   He doesn't strike me as a party boy so bright lights of NYC may not appeal to him.  Then again he might be a regular at some den of iniquity currently big there.  

Giants have usually been pretty well run and they maycoffer a reasonable deal with acceptable incentives to justly compensate him if he can perform to those levels.  Shoen won't offer him a kings ransom because Jones is nowhere near being king of the top nfl Qbs.  He knows how to play 8n dabolls system and he may decide he has more growth under daboll and if he takes a incentive deal he already knows this system so he's got a leg up on a talented rookie.  So he may feel he's better off competing in a system he knows and players he has chemistry with and keep getting better.

Basically he hasn't proved he's a franchise QB but he isn't trash either.

Depends on if they have a QB they feel can easily step in for Jones and that would be alot of pressure on a rookie.  Smart move on both sides as I see it  is offer and accept an incentive- balancing contract that will reward growth and pay for production while not putting an anchor on team if they do get a better qb that outgrows Jones. 

You'd think every QB would know it's all about the team.  I thought Josh would take far below market thinking the same thing, but guess what?  He didn't?  They all have obligations to their families, agents, etc. to maximize what they can get when they can get it.  And if they look at him as a bridge QB and draft someone in 2023, that will probably make him want to look elsewhere. 

The Giants success in 2022 is a gift for the NFC East in the future. They’ll spend on Barkley and Jones, but won’t have the guys it takes to be championship caliber. It’s been pointed out how this Giants team with Daboll is much like the McD’s first season in Buffalo. However, the Bills went straight into rebuild mode, and it paid off. That was extremely courageous, and I don’t blame the Giants if they don’t rebuild, but I think they’ll regret paying Jones and Barkley. 

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

6 years $230M - about half guaranteed.

Again he knows he can succeed under daboll.  He isn't gonna generate alot 9f offers in FA.  Incentive contract with Giants if he gambles and loses to a talented rookie in next few years, he may still improve his offers and his viability to other teams if the competition is back and forth.  If he ends up being the newest version of tyrof Taylor, he might be ok with that type of career.  Plenty of qbs past and present be ok with a Taylor career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.