1/2/23 Week 17 Gameday Bills @ Bengals Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

52 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

The funny thing is I think there's still a great shot at 1 if we lose. Vegas moved the ball on the 9ers. KCs D isn't nowhere near SFs and the Ravens always play the Bengals tough. Let's hope it doesn't get to that. But the door isn't completely shut with a loss. A win is the easier path. Let's go in the that door ☺️

A ‘shot’ yes. A great shot? Hell no!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've asked this question on here before, but WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH BILLS FANS??? I'm surrounded by Bengals fans and all of them to a person are 100% absolutely sure that they are winning the Superbowl. They're practically planning the parade. They've been that way since they beat KC. Requiring turnovers on 4 straight possessions to beat the Bucs and almost blowing a 22 point lead to the Pats did nothing to shake that confidence. What they don't do is dissect wins to the point where they feel like losses.  They also don't let opposing fans on their message boards, but that is a discussion for another thread.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They've been that way since they beat KC. Requiring turnovers on 4 straight possessions to beat the Bucs and almost blowing a 22 point lead to the Pats did nothing to shake that confidence. 

I was thinking about this as well with regard to "the bills haven't beat an elite team since kc" statements. TB had the game in hand and then imploded, and from what I've seen the turnovers had more to do with TB12's dead arm and inability to move his legs than some spectacular Defense. 

Are the Thanksgiving Day Lions a better team than anyone the Bengals have semi-recently beat (excluding kc)?

Edited by Pabstblueribbon

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I've asked this question on here before, but WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH BILLS FANS??? I'm surrounded by Bengals fans and all of them to a person are 100% absolutely sure that they are winning the Superbowl. They're practically planning the parade. They've been that way since they beat KC. Requiring turnovers on 4 straight possessions to beat the Bucs and almost blowing a 22 point lead to the Pats did nothing to shake that confidence. What they don't do is dissect wins to the point where they feel like losses.  They also don't let opposing fans on their message boards, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Its a bit annoying how pessimistic so many of us are, also every national show has been hyping the Bengals all week… it is what it is.  

1) Bengals are at home

2) It’s a passing league and our passing offense has been… strange.. and our pass defense has been meh against good passing offenses.  Kind of like a funk that we need both aspects of our team to snap out of now. 

3) 13 seconds. It cemented a loser sentiment amongst many fans in big moments.  Lack of trust - Somewhat removed by the acquisition of Von, but now Von is done for the year.   …they’re going to have to overcome those demons themselves. 

Edited by SCBills

My biggest mistake was not developing a mail order Anti-anxiety business for TBD members. The angst here is incredible, someone should be studying this group. I wish FilthyBeast would come back so we could get some LOL comedy back on the board to balance the emotions.

What’s going to happen is we will win tonight, 70% of this board will find something wrong with the win, and then I’m guessing it will take about 10 minutes before someone starts a thread on how we will have a let down against NE and lose the #1 seed.  Classic TBD.

As for the pundits, why does anyone care? We know this team better than any of them by far. I’d rather they were hyping Cinci, it will make their fall all the more sweeter.

Relax. We are in the playoffs. Yes I’d love the #1 seed but that in no way guarantees our presence in the SB. Many of you need to learn how to enjoy the ride because it’s not lasting forever

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They are still on the upward trajectory of the elite team cycle.  It's like the feeling we had about the 1990 Bills (who won games in all sorts of ridiculous "lucky" ways) versus say the 92 or 93 teams.  Nothing short of a Super Bowl will be considered a success for this current Bills team, so it's easier to nitpick, fret over any and all imperfections, and just generally forget to "enjoy the ride."

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I wish FilthyBeast would come back so we could get some LOL comedy back on the board to balance the emotions.

You're in luck.

He's recently posted multiple items around the board warning of the impending Bills collapse and the dangers of the AFC East next year. :thumbsup:

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The view of the Cincinnati skyline from my hotel room is a beautiful thing. 

The Bengals fans erupted in the bar we were at when Pittsburgh beat Baltimore last night. It was a wholesome scene. All the Bengals fans here are nice people. 

That said,  i hope the Cincinnati skyline is on fire tonight after we're beat them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

If Diggs doesn't have a big game, the Bills can forget it.  Dorsey needs to get creative and move Stef around.

I think Diggs hurt his hip during the Miami game but has been gutting it out and the Bills are keeping it under wraps.

34 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Regardless of outcome we will stay have a home playoff game 

That and if anyone is concerned with not having a bye week.  The bills literally have nothing to play for next week if they lose and can rest their starters.

Which in turn would help NE and eliminate the fins if NE wins.

That's the "best case" scenario if that is the outcome tonight.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 2

Obviously I'd like to see the Bills get the #1 seed. And the path to the Super Bowl is harder if they don't get it. 

But if they lose tonight they are far from done. #1 seeds have won only seven of the last 22 Super Bowls. Getting the home field and the bye are absolutely no guarantee. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I don't know why, but I feel good.

There has been so much Bengals hype, and they've talked so much trash while the Bills remained quiet and focused.

Bengals rely on running an airshow and beating teams on the blitz. The Bills defense is about forcing precision drives and getting there with 4 rushers. Bengals starting RT is out.

Bengals D is bottom 1/3 of the league at stopping scrambling QBs. That's where Josh eats.

I'm not saying it's a done deal, but I legitimately like the way we line up against the Bengals. I think all the hardship the Bills had is making them gel at the right time. I don't think it's easy but as long as 17 is under center I won't count the Bills out of anything. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

What is an explanation for the discrepancy between the 4 seed and the 3 seed? Just small sample size? 

Is the 4 seed the first wildcard who is often better than the worst division winner?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Is the 4 seed the first wildcard who is often better than the worst division winner?

That was the case until 2002. That’s when they realigned into 4 divisions per conference and the 4 seed is the worst division winner. 

Edited by FrenchConnection

7 minutes ago, arcane said:

What is an explanation for the discrepancy between the 4 seed and the 3 seed? Just small sample size? 

back until… 2002 I think(?), there were only 3 divisions in each conference.   So the 4 seed was the best non-division winner.

• Like (+1) 2