Josh Allen's Elbow

Beck Water

I thought there was a thread on this from a week or 2 ago, but couldn't find it.

It was noted that Allen was getting his shoulder and elbow stretched out, ON THE FIELD, before practice today

Banged up Bills had this to say about it (I'm not sure what he means by "distraction observed too", Anyone?

There's another video clip where at the end, Josh can be seen lying on the ground with his shoulder/elbow being worked on.

I wish we could persuade our guy to stop running down the field like a human Wrecking Ball and slide more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I thought there was a thread on this from a week or 2 ago, but couldn't find it.

It was noted that Allen was getting his shoulder and elbow stretched out, ON THE FIELD, before practice today

Banged up Bills had this to say about it (I'm not sure what he means by "distraction observed too", Anyone?

There's another video clip where at the end, Josh can be seen lying on the ground with his shoulder/elbow being worked on.

I wish we could persuade our guy to stop running down the field like a human Wrecking Ball and slide more.

I think Beane and company invest heavily in the O line during the off season. Once the line gets better then the running game will kick in and they won’t have to rely on Allen running as much

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh boy

Indeed.

When the injury occurred, it was said to be "short term - 2-4 weeks"

Now Allen is saying he'll be dealing with it for "the foreseeable future" (on the Pat McAfee show)

There's also a shadowy rumor around that Allen was dealing with some sort of shoulder sprain or strain dating from the GB game (when he took some big hits, running)

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Indeed.

Now Allen is saying he'll be dealing with it for "the foreseeable future" (on the Pat McAfee show)

There's also a shadowy rumor around that Allen was dealing with some sort of shoulder sprain or strain dating from the GB game (when he took some big hits, running)

Where did you read that?  I hadn’t seen any rumors surrounding about the GB game other than Josh getting a concussion on the hit at the goal line. 

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He slid vs Jets and he had to leap vs Jets . The Bills are in crunch time now and if they need Josh to truck someone for a first down or TD so be it. He’s willing to pay the price to win a championship and I’m glad he is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He wasn't 'running down the field" when he got hurt. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Indeed.

Josh has been playing through the injury , so that’s why it’s not 2-4 weeks. That would have been if he sat out, which wasn’t an option. So it’s a pain management/ practice workload type deal until most likely the offseason. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Those look to be shoulder stretches, not elbow. Not sure if there is a connection to the injury.

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You are making this up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Those look to be shoulder stretches, not elbow. Not sure if there is a connection to the injury.

You are making this up.

The shoulder bones connected to the.  arm bone.  The arm bones connected to the. Elbow bone. the elbow bones connected to my. wrist watch.

homer simpson surgery GIF

• Haha (+1) 8

Most players play banged up.  Josh hasn’t been throwing his normal this year, it’s obvious.  He’s still elite playing injured.  He also needs people around him who can catch.  He’s gotta play through right now.  Doesn’t seem mortal injury and can rest thoroughly in the off-season.  For sure, next 2 draft classes should be heavy offense, including and especially the line.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think Beane and company invest heavily in the O line during the off season. Once the line gets better then the running game will kick in and they won’t have to rely on Allen running as much

I agree but why wasn't that the plan 3 years ago. Why is the obvious taking so damn long. This organization should've put priority 1 building a monster OL around Josh rather than dicking around drafting marginal DE's.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree but why wasn't that the plan 3 years ago. Why is the obvious taking so damn long. This organization should've put priority 1 building a monster OL around Josh rather than dicking around drafting marginal DE's.

I’d venture that having a defensive Head Coach was a strong influence on their drafts.  Their defensive stats since McD arrived are pretty impressive. The offense has been good too. The blueprint hasn’t been flawless but they’re competing for the top seed in the AFC and have notched 10 or more wins 4 years straight. Definitely doing something right. 

• Like (+1) 2

From what little can be deduced from the video it appears Allen is in no discomfort whatsoever, this is very  likely preventative / follow up maintenance of his banged up elbow, the shoulder hypothesis is just that, I’m not overly concerned, the press however loves the drama, which equals clicks, which equals money…, 

GO  BILLS!!!

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You are making this up.

I'm not, actually, but I can't find a source to quote so believe what you wish

I wouldn't be the first or the only to note that Allen's ability to throw the ball accurately exactly where he wanted seemed to change markedly in the 2nd half of the GB game tho -in fact there's a thread starting with that observation on the board right now.

Trimble seemed to feel it was shoulder and elbow, if you watch they are bending his arm and working the forearm in part of the video

🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

I'm not, actually, but I can't find a source to quote so believe what you wish

I wouldn't be the first or the only to note that Allen's ability to throw the ball accurately exactly where he wanted seemed to change markedly in the 2nd half of the GB game tho -in fact there's a thread starting with that observation on the board right now.

Trimble seemed to feel it was shoulder and elbow, if you watch they are bending his arm and working the forearm in part of the video

🤷‍♂️

People guessed (without any evidence) that Allen was concussed in the Green Bay game. Nobody claimed he hurt his shoulder.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I kind of feel as though they were following what seemed like the plan in Carolina - to have a total Stud franchise QB in Newton who could make up for a lot of deficiencies at WR and on OL with his mobility to extend plays and his legs - and then invest heavily in defense.  I feel in the end, that plan was "Close, but No Championship" and got the total Stud franchise guy hurt.

But I know opinions vary on that point

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

People guessed (without any evidence) that Allen was concussed in the Green Bay game. Nobody claimed he hurt his shoulder.

Someone actually said on the threads about Allen's elbow injury that he'd gone into the game with a sprained shoulder.  It was also said elsewhere.  I don't think I'm hallucinating and I don't make ***** up, but I'm really not invested in whether or not you believe me that there was a source who said it, or whether or not you believe that it might be true.  Whatever pleases you!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You do not know that it won't be an issue.

1st time Allen hurt the UCL

-Immediately out for 4-games, and pulled himself out

2nd time Allen hurt the UCL (3.5 years later)

- Doesn’t miss a game, stays in and throws 70 yards 

If the tear was as bad or worse that the first time explain this? 

Other than that CBS report against the Browns where he talked about tightness in the elbow, what other symptoms has he exactly talked about?

We love hanging on around here.

Phantom concussions.

13-week ankle sprains.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

My own insular, purely amateur, but also kind-of-observant thinking was ALSO that Allen could have been dealing with an injury suffered in the GB game prior to the sudden onset of his red zone yips. So many oddly unpropelled throws while moving to his right. Throws that just had NO thrust.

I actually thought he'd hit his hand on a helmet. Didn't he? Of course he publicly denied his hand was actually hurt (supporting at least that this hand-to-helmet thing happened, IF Allen addressed it), but we all know that something changed, and changed quickly. I might be conflating a play from near the end of the Miami game with something else, mind you. But it DID seem like something happened against GB. 

It doesn't HAVE to be injury-related. It could be a simple dip in his play from absolutely ELITE, BEST-EVER level (including last season's playoffs) to something less godlike. I mean wow, what a run he had there. Time to adjust now. Looks like it's working. Let's go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Beane sucks obv

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He describes how they are dealing with the injury here. it takes a village (and some shots) …starts around 02:51

Thanks for posting this.

I had never heard the full response to the elbow question.

Sounds like is was a Grade 2 type sprain 2-4 weeks and he just refused to sit. 

• Like (+1) 5

I think this is fear mongering at its finest (by the media; not the OP).

He's not 100%, but who is at week 15? 

It's colder than a witch's tit out there and I'm sure that makes him require more stretching/work to be done on his throwing arm. 

If his receivers didn't drop a billion passes last week, he'd have had a great game an no one would be batting an eye at this.  The vast majority of his passes were accurate.  He's fine.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.