At this point last season, Bills were 7-6

Kaenon

16 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Allen has said that was the game in the second half where they figured it out & applied what they learned that game going forward. It sounds like right now he asked to get Beasley & Brown bc they haven't figured it out with who they've had. I'm kind of going off what Allen's saying & the eye test. But your pt is well taken (they certainly didn't look sharp against Atlanta last year).

Fair points on your end sir

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'd say they found their competitive edge and started playing complimentary football again

Which is what they’re doing right now. The offense did enough to win this past Sunday against an excellent defense. The Bills D played one of their best games of the year. This week presents a different challenge with a suspect Fins D but a potentially explosive Fins O. They will have to score more than 20 most likely to play their part, weather notwithstanding.

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Ok. That is one of the reasons the team took a step back. But 2021 was less successful than 2020. Simple indisputable fact. Not sure why this troubles people to accept. 

This year they are three games better. That is an undeniable, measurable step forward. But I imagine you would deny its significance because, you know, realism and all that.

Want more optimism about what we have seen this year? (Nancy's, please don't let your heads explode :rolleyes:) All of the injuries on top of injuries. Key starters on IR. Starters missing multiple weeks for various reasons. Josh battling through a difficult injury for a QB. But even still, here we sit at 10-3 and currently atop the AFC. All of this with the Bills having the #2 strength of schedule in the entire NFL in 2022, only second to the Jets. Last year our Regular Season SOS was 21st and we were 11-6. In spite of everything, this team just keeps finding ways to win. And we haven't even played our best football yet. :flirt:

image.thumb.png.19784accd149a88b05c7499ffb592e72.png

image.thumb.png.250e614e69c5dc0ff3e9a75d72bf0092.png

Edited by H2o

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Which is what they’re doing right now. The offense did enough to win this past Sunday against an excellent defense. The Bills D played one of their best games of the year. This week presents a different challenge with a suspect Fins D but a potentially explosive Fins O. They will have to score more than 20 most likely to play their part, weather notwithstanding.

If Hill is still hobbled with that ankle and Tua has trouble throwing in the snow/wind, then I don't think their offense is going to be very explosive.

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If Hill is still hobbled with that ankle and Tua has trouble throwing in the snow/wind, then I don't think their offense is going to be very explosive.

Especially if Oliver, The Frenchman, et all, pressure Tua like they did Mike White, we will win going away, hell, I don’t think Tua is gonna make it out of the first quarter, let alone finish the game, jmo, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Especially if Oliver, The Frenchman, et all, pressure Tua like they did Mike White, we will win going away, hell, I don’t think Tua is gonna make it out of the first quarter, let alone finish the game, jmo, 

GO BILLS!!!

If Tua takes a shot from Milano like Mike White took, then Tua may be out the rest of the season. One thing we learned about Mike White on Sunday, he is one tough son of a biscuit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am happy they are 10-3 and not 7-6.  I have done the math a few times and it appears they are 3 games better than last season at this same point.

I am happy right now.

If they win 13 games by the end of the seasons my math witchcraft tells me they will finish tied for the most regular season wins in franchise history (albeit in 17 games) and two games better than last year.  This also makes me happy.

If the Bills find themselves on the road in the second round of the Playoffs in Cincy or KC then no, I will not be happy.  I will cheer for them like crazy, but second round road playoffs games wasn't really the jam I was vibing for all offseason.

I am spoiled and I am cool with that because I am old (kinda) and I feel entitled to it and this team, primarily this QB era, may be my last rodeo.

14-3...That's what I need.  14-3 and a path through the Wester New York Southern tier snow belt to get to the Super Bowl.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 6

With just four weeks to go, I don’t think it’s too early to look at the way the remaining games lay out. IMO the only way the Bills get the #1 seed, home field advantage, and the bye week is if they run the table. KC isn’t losing again. The great thing is that the Bills management and coaching staff must know that. I expect the team to play like it. 

12 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Imagine the Patriots defense and the Chiefs offense... that's what we will be facing on MNF. I wish I could share in your optimism...

The nice thing is I think we can counter their explosive pass game with our zone, and they don't run the ball well.  The pass rush needs to have a good game, all of the bengals losses seemed to coincide with offensive line struggles.  

Defensively, their strength is traditionally in stopping the run with a big d-line lead by reader and Hendrickson.  Hendrickson broke his wrist recently, but it sounds like hes going to play anyway - likely means hes playing with a club which hurts your effectiveness.  Their secondary isn't anything to write home about.   

They use an interesting strategy against Mahomes where they only rush 3, but i feel like Allen will just run out of that himself forcing them to adjust.  8 guys in coverage with eyes on the QB is helpful but if its Allen I think he'll just scramble for free yards if he holds the ball.  Or step up and look to scramble until the defense loses their zone discipline.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Very true, but also very promising performances by Allen when it mattered. If he can match that this year, we will not be denied.

Most anything is possible, but expecting him to overcome his lack of pass protection, the inconsistency of wideouts this year, and the elbow issue is wishful thinking at this point.

30 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am happy they are 10-3 and not 7-6.  I have done the math a few times and it appears they are 3 games better than last season at this same point last year.

I am happy right now.

If they win 13 games by the end of the seasons my math witchcraft tells me they will finish tied for the most regular season wins in franchise history (albeit in 17 games) and two games better than last year.  This also makes me happy.

If the Bills find themselves on the road in the second round of the Playoffs in Cincy or KC then no, I will not be happy.  I will cheer for them like crazy, but second round road playoffs games wasn't really the jam I was vibing for all offseason.

I am spoiled and I am cool with that because I am old (kinda) and I feel entitled to it and this team, primarily this QB era, may be my last rodeo.

14-3...That's what I need.  14-3 and a path through the Wester New York Southern tier snow belt to get to the Super Bowl.

Go Bills!

This makes me happy too.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the team this year especially on the defensive side of the ball is better than last year the offense has lost a couple of players on the O line & at WR that has weakened them a bit . Bringing Bease back i think will be a big help the chemistry is already there plug & play .

Hopefully that 1 add can help to open up Gabe & Diggs more plus help the running game at the same time he's just one more thing the opposition has to plan for so even with the injuries to 2 of the main players on the defense i think if they can stay healthy the rest of the way we are in good shape but the Bengals will be the Big tell tale game .

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

If and buts. Bills were more successful in 2020 than 2021. Simple indisputable face. 

Yes the Bills did better in 2020, however, you can’t deny that the 2021 Bills were a better team than the 2020 Bills, especially the 2021 post season Bills. Another example is the 2022 Bills, in the beginning of the year when they were healthy, that was the best Bills team we’ve seen in the Allen era. We’ll see how the 2022 Bills end the season, but we already we’ve seen the best version of the Allen Bills regardless of how they finish. 

It's not about records for us this year.

It's about the way we are playing in our playoffs games, and the matchups we end up with.

The entire season goes in the trash can for Playoff Game 1.

If we can find a way to play our best football for a few games in January, we'll get to the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The nice thing is I think we can counter their explosive pass game with our zone, and they don't run the ball well.  The pass rush needs to have a good game, all of the bengals losses seemed to coincide with offensive line struggles.  

Defensively, their strength is traditionally in stopping the run with a big d-line lead by reader and Hendrickson.  Hendrickson broke his wrist recently, but it sounds like hes going to play anyway - likely means hes playing with a club which hurts your effectiveness.  Their secondary isn't anything to write home about.   

Our defensive line will probably be as healthy as it has been for a long time when we play them hopefully.

Eli Apple is by far the weak link in their secondary... easily exploitable so that's probably why they aren't as impressive.

20 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Our defensive line will probably be as healthy as it has been for a long time when we play them hopefully.

Eli Apple is by far the weak link in their secondary... easily exploitable so that's probably why they aren't as impressive.

Have to make teams pay when they double diggs, and figure out as quickly as possible when they don't.  

• Like (+1) 1

Being 10-3 right now vs. 7-6 last year is only going to matter if this team finished the job so to speak and secures the #1 seed.

Last year this team was better offensively, albeit extremely inconsistent until they found themselves late in the season and up put everything together heading into the playoffs.

This year this team is not nearly as good offensively but has found a way to grind out wins in close games which may or may not serve them better in the playoffs where every game is likely going to be close.

15 hours ago, Kaenon said:

Bills are now 10-3 this year, whereby those 3 losses were by a combined 8 points.

By contrast, when we were 7-6, 5 combined losses by a total of only 23 points and the 6th loss to Indy where we were blown out by 26. 

Bills went on to win 4 straight and march into the Playoffs as the AFCs hottest team.

This season, we've faced so much adversity between OC changes, riddled with injuries and season ending injuries and Josh's elbow that was clearly holding him back. 

Somehow despite all of that, we're sitting in a better spot this year to have the road through the Playoffs run through Buffalo - and to be that vaunted #1 seed and to get the coveted first-round bye.

4 games left. 🐬, 🐻, 🐯 and 📸.

The Bengals game will be telling.

I'm excited.

This is our year.

Hard to say.  Might be next year.   Might be the year after that.   McBeanes will draft well, keep the roster strong and the team will be right there for several more years it would seem.   In a league with a single elimination tournament and the current level of hyper competitiveness/parity, where key injuries and/or turnover margin determine teams fates, who knows what year it will be "our year".   

I mean ,really, who knows?   Last year was "the year" IMHO and what happens?  Some non-descript jack-ss ST coach poops the bed with 13 seconds left and that's that, game over, season over.   This year, all but the Bills could have key guys go down or be ineffective just b4 the tournament and a relatively healthy Bills team rolls to the title.    H-ll, watch out if the Lions somehow get in.

The NFL is great.  No idea what's going to happen.  

• Like (+1) 2

Let me know if I am doing this right.

So what if they are 3 games better?  We have not clinched 1st overall in the conference.  The offence isn't putting up 40 points a game.  We are no longer #1 in Vegas to win the Super Bowl.  We have injuries.  We still have losses.

How did I do?

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Let me know if I am doing this right.

So what if they are 3 games better?  We have not clinched 1st overall in the conference.  The offence isn't putting up 40 points a game.  We are no longer #1 in Vegas to win the Super Bowl.  We have injuries.  We still have losses.

How did I do?

Still  the favourites, just the odds have shrunk.  They were the clear one at the beginning of the year and seems the consensus is they still are (as the #1 seed), but whereas only KC was close at the beginning of the season, more in the mix now.

https://www.legalsportsreport.com/odds/super-bowl/

17 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Very true, but also very promising performances by Allen when it mattered. If he can match that this year, we will not be denied.

As much as 13 seconds sucked, that was my takeaway from that game. I just remember thinking, "The dude is too good, he's just too good not to bring it home one of these years." I truly believe that. JA just has that "it" factor about him and he's a gamer. He's just gonna find a way.

34 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

As much as 13 seconds sucked, that was my takeaway from that game. I just remember thinking, "The dude is too good, he's just too good not to bring it home one of these years." I truly believe that. JA just has that "it" factor about him and he's a gamer. He's just gonna find a way.

So do I, but the last 6.5 weeks (second half vs. GB) have been just off.

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Being 10-3 right now vs. 7-6 last year is only going to matter if this team finished the job so to speak and secures the #1 seed.

Last year this team was better offensively, albeit extremely inconsistent until they found themselves late in the season and up put everything together heading into the playoffs.

This year this team is not nearly as good offensively but has found a way to grind out wins in close games which may or may not serve them better in the playoffs where every game is likely going to be close.

I dunno about that though.  While Buffalo is coming off an offensive performance about on par with the wind game in 2021, they have recorded over 400 yards 7 times this year vs 6 through the same number of games last year.  20 turnovers to 18 in 2021.  Stats in many games sort of line up as well. 

They've scored 20 or more 11 times, last year they did 9 times.  They are 0-6 when they don't score 20 in the last 2 seasons.   

46.4% on 3rd downs in 2021, 48.7% in 2022.  62.3% RZ 2021 vs 57.4% 2022 (Works out to an additional 2 TDs this year).  

14 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I dunno about that though.  While Buffalo is coming off an offensive performance about on par with the wind game in 2021, they have recorded over 400 yards 7 times this year vs 6 through the same number of games last year.  20 turnovers to 18 in 2021.  Stats in many games sort of line up as well. 

They've scored 20 or more 11 times, last year they did 9 times.  They are 0-6 when they don't score 20 in the last 2 seasons.   

46.4% on 3rd downs in 2021, 48.7% in 2022.  62.3% RZ 2021 vs 57.4% 2022 (Works out to an additional 2 TDs this year).  

The eye test sorry is what counts.  I don't care about stats (remember the wind game, Jax and Indy were awful).  The Bills offence has been off/stagnant since the second half of the GB game.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Kaenon said:

Bills are now 10-3 this year, whereby those 3 losses were by a combined 8 points.

By contrast, when we were 7-6, 5 combined losses by a total of only 23 points and the 6th loss to Indy where we were blown out by 26. 

Bills went on to win 4 straight and march into the Playoffs as the AFCs hottest team.

This season, we've faced so much adversity between OC changes, riddled with injuries and season ending injuries and Josh's elbow that was clearly holding him back. 

Somehow despite all of that, we're sitting in a better spot this year to have the road through the Playoffs run through Buffalo - and to be that vaunted #1 seed and to get the coveted first-round bye.

I'm excited.

This is our year.

And how did that end for us?

We went into the playoffs last year knowing that we couldn't stop anyone on defense when it actually mattered. The way we chose to address that was by bringing in Von Miller and Kaiir Elam - neither of whom are playing. We also took a step back on offense.

I don't understand how anyone is realistically expecting us to have a better result this year than we did last year, because on paper we haven't meaningfully improved, and Josh has been playing poorly. Hopeful? sure, why not.

I don't think it's impossible for us to win it all, but we're either going to have to start playing a lot better or our competition is going to have to underperform in one of those bleh-style playoff years where the games aren't very good. That part could realistically happen if sliding teams are able to beat hot teams, the hot teams peter out, or a big inury happens to Someone like Mahomes, Kelce, Burrow, Tua, Hurts, Jefferson, Pollard etc.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The eye test sorry is what counts.  I don't care about stats (remember the wind game, Jax and Indy were awful).  The Bills offence has been off/stagnant since the second half of the GB game.

They were off last year in a bunch of games too though.  Look at the TB first half and tell me that offense was working well.  Or the New Orleans game.  Or the Carolina Game.  Or Atlanta.  

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

And how did that end for us?

We went into the playoffs last year knowing that we couldn't stop anyone on defense when it actually mattered. The way we chose to address that was by bringing in Von Miller and Kaiir Elam - neither of whom are playing. We also took a step back on offense.

I don't understand how anyone is realistically expecting us to have a better result this year than we did last year, because on paper we haven't meaningfully improved, and Josh has been playing poorly. Hopeful? sure, why not.

I don't think it's impossible for us to win it all, but we're either going to have to start playing a lot better or our competition is going to have to underperform in one of those bleh-style playoff years where the games aren't very good. That part could realistically happen if sliding teams are able to beat hot teams, the hot teams peter out, or a big inury happens to Someone like Mahomes, Kelce, Burrow, Tua, Hurts, Jefferson, Pollard etc.

Our offense is capable of being a top offense in the league.  The defense is capable of dominating stretches as well.

The Bengals defense strung together 4 strong performances in the playoffs a year ago.  Buffalo is certainly capable of doing this as well as i personally believe the Bills unit is better.  

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, cba fan said:

because it is not true. In Reality Bills were not a better team than KC in 2020 but two times were the better team than KC in 2021. 

But lost due to coaches epically shatting the bed in the easiest win scenario in playoff history. Only loss harder to attain was the Nashville MCM.

Its a results oriented business. Making it to the championship game is ALWAYS greater success than not making it to the championship game. No matter how you twist is up in your head, the results are the results. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They were off last year in a bunch of games too though.  Look at the TB first half and tell me that offense was working well.  Or the New Orleans game.  Or the Carolina Game.  Or Atlanta.  

Our offense is capable of being a top offense in the league.  The defense is capable of dominating stretches as well.

The Bengals defense strung together 4 strong performances in the playoffs a year ago.  Buffalo is certainly capable of doing this as well as i personally believe the Bills unit is better.  

Don't disagree, to me this year has gone on longer.  They haven't put together one complete game since the bye.  Redzone wasn't the same issue either.

Trust me I hope I am wrong.

• Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, Kaenon said:

I'm excited.

This is our year.

Knock on bloody wood!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.