OT…Bills have one skill talent player from a cold weather state

78thealltimegreat

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Someone brought up on the radio today the Bills have exactly 1 skill talent player from a cold weather state on their active  roster and they really do with Jake on IR ....

Gillam Florida 

Singletary Florida Atlantic

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

John Brown Pittsburg State Ks

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Shakir Boise State obviously cold here

Not a big deal at the nfl level but just odd the way the roster was constructed with no receivers who played in cold weather and you play in Buffalo 

where I went to college is definitely not where I’m from

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I never understood why anyone would think it’s an advantage to have cold weather. Teams are made up of players from all over the country and from every college in the country. The Bills are as likely as the Dolphins to have players that have played in cold weather. 

Except we have players that are living in it, played in it this year, many the last couple years. The dolphins may see snow once every other year.

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone have a decent clam chowder recipe?

I don't even really like clam chowder but its a better topic than this.  My chowder preference is not too thin.  Chowder shouldn't be too soupy.  It should have body and coat the mouth.  Manhattan clam chowder can f@#$ right off! 

Manhattan clam chowder is the only chowder worth eating.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Someone brought up on the radio today the Bills have exactly 1 skill talent player from a cold weather state on their active  roster and they really do with Jake on IR ....

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Not a big deal at the nfl level but just odd the way the roster was constructed with no receivers who played in cold weather and you play in Buffalo 

You obviously have not been to Kansas in November. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s more about being acclimated to the climate than where you are from.   

I grew up in NY.. Syracuse, and then Long Island. 

Moved down south nine years ago, and within two years, I was outside jogging in low 90’s as the sun set, but almost died the second the cold air hit my face for the first time back visiting fam in Cuse for the holidays. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Maryland and Pittsburgh play in some cold weather. 

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Maryland isn't exactly warm in November & December. Either is Kansas.

Bart Starr was from Montgomery, Alabama and the University of Alabama. He did ok in Green Bay.

Brett Favre is from Mississippi. I think they liked him there too. Same with California boy Aaron Rodgers.

Tom Brady is from the San Francisco Bay Area. He did ok in Foxboro.

Fran Tarkenton is from Georgia, but still a great Viking.

Would the OP like me to go on? Because I can ....

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Great logic. But what happened in Miami earlier this season? Shouldn’t our warm/scorching hot weather players have been accustomed to such conditions?

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Reggie Gilliam is from Columbus and played at Toledo

3 hours ago, BearNorth said:

As I understand the rules, Miami can only use bench heaters if the Bills do.

Bills 22 starters played in college at schools with a current average temperature of 44 degrees, Fish 22 starters played at schools with an current average temperature of 50 degrees, Game time temp is predicted on Saturday to be around 28 degrees.

I am very unclear on this. The Pats brought temporary shade tarps. The Bills brought and used benches and AC units (mentioned by the players). I think the equity rule basically means “if the home team has 3 cooling fans, they need to provide 3 cooling fans for the away team”. I do not think it means that the teams cannot bring and use other tools within league rules.

At the time I was livid. But after it has calmed down I think the actual advantage in Miami is the fact that one side of the stadium is built in shade. Without physical shade on the visitors side fans and benches are rendered basically useless. 

I do think the league should step in and force Miami to install a work around for physical shade without damaging sight lines when the expected heat index reaches a certain point. Or maybe even those ice vests that race car drivers wear? Something better than just dumping ice in your helmet. 

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

where I went to college is definitely not where I’m from

Except we have players that are living in it, played in it this year, many the last couple years. The dolphins may see snow once every other year.

I am from Buffalo, but when I moved back after years in OKC, I was no longer ready for winter. I was freezing when the sun went down. 

These guys are barely “living in it” They show up in the fall. Move back somewhere warm right after Christmas. In a bad year they are in snow for maybe a couple weeks. The craziest part about Buffalo winters isn’t December. It’s February and March. We’ve basically barely started winter. 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

I am very unclear on this. The Pats brought temporary shade tarps. The Bills brought and used benches and AC units (mentioned by the players). I think the equity rule basically means “if the home team has 3 cooling fans, they need to provide 3 cooling fans for the away team”. I do not think it means that the teams cannot bring and use other tools within league rules.

At the time I was livid. But after it has calmed down I think the actual advantage in Miami is the fact that one side of the stadium is built in shade. Without physical shade on the visitors side fans and benches are rendered basically useless. 

I do think the league should step in and force Miami to install a work around for physical shade without damaging sight lines when the expected heat index reaches a certain point. Or maybe even those ice vests that race car drivers wear? Something better than just dumping ice in your helmet. 

I am from Buffalo, but when I moved back after years in OKC, I was no longer ready for winter. I was freezing when the sun went down. 

These guys are barely “living in it” They show up in the fall. Move back somewhere warm right after Christmas. In a bad year they are in snow for maybe a couple weeks. The craziest part about Buffalo winters isn’t December. It’s February and March. We’ve basically barely started winter. 

they been living in it til minimum deep into January 

we can argue semantics but they are exposed to the weather they would play in regardless of their college team

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s more about being acclimated to the climate than where you are from.   

I grew up in NY.. Syracuse, and then Long Island. 

Moved down south nine years ago, and within two years, I was outside jogging in low 90’s as the sun set, but almost died the second the cold air hit my face for the first time back visiting fam in Cuse for the holidays. 

I agree, I can adjust to warm weather easily, and quite enjoy it, but I think everyone is different. I’ve been in WNY my entire life, and can’t stand the cold, while I’ve known native southerners who complained about the heat quite often. 

17 hours ago, ddaryl said:

because it adds another billion to construction costs....  we are already using more taxpayer money than other teams do for the stadium.. You want to sell that one to Joe and Jane public?

So it’s worth using tax payer money to build a stadium that’s used for 20 games a year? Build a truly useful year round complex and bring concerts etc in to give the economy a real boost.

On 12/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Huh? NFL you draft the most talented guys regardless of region. What you’re saying is we should’ve focused on bringing in more players from up north and the Midwest? I swear people wanna find anything to have an issue with smh

I don't think where they want to college or grew up has any bearing on how they will play in the cold. The Bills played a perfect game in one of the coldest games in NFL history last year, but that night had little wind and no snow. The issue I see with the current Bills roster is during windy and snow/sleet games. We are built to throw the ball and not ground and pound which is why we lost the game last year to the Patriots the first time. Fortunately for us the Dolphins aren't built to pound the ball either. I could see Saturday being a low scoring game with Josh being the x-factor with his running ability.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

So it’s worth using tax payer money to build a stadium that’s used for 20 games a year? Build a truly useful year round complex and bring concerts etc in to give the economy a real boost.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardmcgahey/2022/03/29/buffalos-billion-dollar-tax-fumble/?sh=103d00c4516f

But what about team-specific economic impacts? An analysis done for the state estimated the Bills produce “nearly $27 million annually in total tax revenues to the City, County, and State combined.” But 73% of those projected annual revenues are income taxes “primarily related to Bills team payroll.” It doesn’t seem like a good deal to spend over $800 million in state and city tax revenues to recoup $27 million a year from the team payroll.

it wasn't ever going to happen and it wasn't ever going to be pushed for because it cost a $Billion more..

regardless of what you said a billion in profits for the state was not going to happen with a dome added.... 

The Bills alone generate $27 million annually...That $27 million is already tied to the cost of the no dome stadium

27 million times 25 years = 675 million

SO lets say we add the dome at cost of $1 billion more. How many events would it take to recoup the cost of investment. Even if a dome only cost $500 million more do the math. 

65,000 people (projected stadium capacity plus floor for concerts) you can argue the additonal taxes from bars, food, shopping in preperation, parking, gas might add more to the revenue but it won't be enough to offset the cost to taxpayers, whom many were against what we did spend.... And in regards to concerts there is no payroll income tax that matches what the BIlls pay so you would have to have multiple major events a month to come close to producing the tax revenue that would justify the investment. 

Now you understand fully why we did not get a dome. There is NO justification finacially, and we barely got justfication for what we are building.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.