NY Jets at Buffalo Bills, Sunday Dec 11 at 1 pm

Beck Water

On 12/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Well, until van Damme gave him an uppercut to the scrote

A bit of trivia: that shot to the balls Jean-Claude Van Damme gave to that sumo fighter in Bloodsport inspired Ed Boon (one of the designers of Mortal Kombat) to give Johnny Cage his famous ball breaker. Even the initials of Johnny Cage (JC) were from Jean-Claude Van Damme.

6 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Ok I'm a little confused....Chong Li was the guy Van Damme beat in Bloodsport?

Well what's the female character in the video game Street Fighter?  Wasn't her name Chong Li too?  

Loved em both by the way....

Another note, wasn't Van Damme's American friend in that movie Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds?

Yeah, as The Wiz said above that was Chum Li (not to be further confused with Chumlee of Pawn Stars). Easy to confuse the names though. (I got Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat confused with Dwayne Wayne, the character from the TV sitcom A Different World, lol.) I played a little Street Fighter 2 back in the day, but Mortal Kombat was my game. 

And the guy who played Frank's friend, Ray Jackson, in Bloodsport was the same actor in Revenge of the Nerds (Donald Gibb). Good to note that, as I had forgotten.

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So are you man. Constant policing. 

By the way, listen to the difference in a press conference after a loss, compared to a win. 

Then it's chalk full of - Coach, why didn't you use a timeout there, what was the thinking on the 3rd-2, why didn't you take the Field Goal there, Josh what were you seeing on this play? 

Then the focus on decision making gets real serious, real quick. 

The Bills win, and the media gets 🧡eyes and we ask questions about how it feels to hug each other. 

Too bad you don't like my line of thought. 

Maybe you enjoy when our OC is asked about how he relaxes after the game, I don't. 

Ask shorter, open ended questions. 

Not to cause any extra friction here, as I love everybody, I gotta side with NewEra and jump in on this one.

The reason that the media is so scrutinous after a loss, and ask the precision questions is because it is AFTER THE FACT.  The HC can answers these questions because they don't give the opposition any extra advantage, ammo.  He's still not giving away anything tactically if you listen in.  And yes, while the media is much more sunshine lollipops and rainbows during a winning season is also because they already know not to ask the questions they know they're not going to get an answer to, nor any questions that dare give the opposition any extra advantage whatsoever.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

So, I went over to JetsNation to see what they are saying. Someone started a thread "The Jets will beat the Bills". That's fine they should be excited about their team but check out this comment from a Jets fan. I would like to know what planet he is watching football on because it sure isn't Earth.

From a Jets fan...

The Jets have better QB, RB, WR, and RT this time and the defense has not changed much since last game so yes they should win! go JETS!

Hey, Mike White has a 300 yard passing game against the Bears!  Can Josh Allen say that this year?

Case closed.  Jets are better at QB.

😂

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

No, sorry, can't agree on that.  It was a catch Davis could have made, but Gardner was fighting with him, Gabe was holding him off, and Gardner had a hold of Davis R arm before the ball got there.  Davis got his hand free and could have made the catch, but it woulda been a tough contested catch.

IOW it's a ball a top-tier clutch WR makes for his QB and his team, but it's no way "just a drop"

Valid points all.  👍

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Does anyone know Gilliam's snap %'s this year.  I feel like he's played quite well this year as our starting FB.   I don't know how much it would effect or limit our offense Sunday, but do wonder....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2022-snap-counts.htm

17.45 %.  Bills average over 6 yds per play when Gilliam is on field.  Imagine Quinton Morris can fill that role and they dress Sweeney as 2nd TE 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CaliBills said:

Last game....

Josh lost us the game. 

Don't see that happening this time around

Don't see how any one can come to this conclusion.  Allen didn't play well enough to win the game but the loss was a team effort.  The D's inability to stop the run was the single biggest reason the Bills lost.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Don't see how any one can come to this conclusion.  Allen didn't play well enough to win the game but the loss was a team effort.  The D's inability to stop the run was the single biggest reason the Bills lost.

Josh hurt his UCL so it was his fault they lost 🙄

22 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Josh hurt his UCL so it was his fault they lost 🙄

Didn't he throw 2 picks BEFORE his injury... 

yeah so his two bone head plays lead to zero points and points for the jets. 

Edit: 1 lead to a TD, 1 lead to no points but took at least 3 points away.  So 10 point swing but yeah JA wasn't at fault for putting his team in a worse situation.

Edited by CaliBills

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

IMO the game was lost because of events that occurred immediately after Allen had scored his 2nd rushing TD to give the Bills a 14 - 3 lead with a little over 6 minutes left in the first half.  A Jets 3 and out or even better a TO and the Bills likley go into the locker room up 17 or 21 - 3.  At that point the game would have been pretty much over.  Instead the Bill's D allowed the jets bad offense to drive 75 yards for a TD to cut the lead to 14 - 10.  Even worse the Jets used up all but the last 30 seconds of the 2nd quarter getting their TD.  Even then Allen drove the Bills to the Jets 37 yard line where they missed a long FG.

Allen's two picks didn't help but IMO the 2nd biggest reason the Bills lost that game was with the score tied 17 - 17 in the fourth quarter the Bills punted the Jets back to their 4 yard line.  From that point the Jets drove 90 yards using up most of the quarter to take a 20 - 17 lead. Even then Allen almost pulled off the miracle with a 25 yard strike to Diggs that was called back by a holding penalty and then a 60 yard pass from Allen to Davis that was dropped.

The fact remains that the Jets defense is their greatest strength.  In contrast their Offense with Wilson at the helm was putrid.  On the road it was reasonable that the Bills offense would struggle. What was not reasonable was that the Jets could put together a couple of long, time consuming TD drives at critical points in the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2022-snap-counts.htm

17.45 %.  Bills average over 6 yds per play when Gilliam is on field.  Imagine Quinton Morris can fill that role and they dress Sweeney as 2nd TE 

I was just wondering how he was as a blocker... hopefully like you said Morris can step in and they dont miss a beat.  

Like I said, feeling very confident about this game, moreso than I have been in weeks to be honest.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Edit: 1 lead to a TD, 1 lead to no points but took at least 3 points away.  So 10 point swing but yeah JA wasn't at fault for putting his team in a worse situation.

The point was you said "Josh lost is the game"

As if there was no other reason.  Yes, he made stupid mistakes.  Most of the time he overcomes them.  The rest of the team make just as many but they didn't do anything to overcome their mistakes either so putting it all on him in a 3 point game is like saying "it wasn't Peterman's fault for throwing 5 picks".

There is blame everywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

As if there was no other reason.  Yes, he made stupid mistakes.  Most of the time he overcomes them.  The rest of the team make just as many but they didn't do anything to overcome their mistakes either so putting it all on him in a 3 point game is like saying "it wasn't Peterman's fault for throwing 5 picks".

This is how I feel as well. Josh isn't the one missing tackles, dropping balls or (cough cough) not going out of bounds when he should have. (Debatable I know). Blame goes everywhere as well as praise. It's a team. Cant put it all on one dude. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

It was an extremely poor outing from Josh, to be sure.  

but, that’s in the past now and I have no doubts he’ll play solid football this time around against the NJJ.

• Agree 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, billsfanmiamioh said:

I was there. Absolutely brutal. Probably worst weather game I’ve ever been to. I was not properly dressed for the wetness and it was miserable. 

Not that one, but in line with the thread the most cold and miserable I have been to was a home game against the Jets.

December 6, 1992. Buffalo 9-3, NY Jets 3-9.

Temp was sub 25 degrees (F), 20-30 mph regular wind gusts, 10 F or so degrees wind chill

It had snowed a few days before and it hadn't been completely cleared. so all the foot areas were slush.

Feet in meting slush, winds whipping around sub frozen air.

NY Jet Bennis Byrd had been paralyzed the week before vs KC.

The Jets came in and played inspired forcing numerous turnovers and had the shocking 24-17 win on a Jim Kelly pick 6 at the end of the game.

Awful experience all around.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CaliBills said:

Pro tip: the past-tense of "lead" is "led." I offer this in the spirit of goodwill and brotherhood amongst Bills fans. 

I tend to agree, actually, that JA17's poor play in that first matchup was in fact a leading cause of the loss.

The defense definitely didn't rise up and win it anyways, but we can't have those turnovers and miscues. Have to score more.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, CaliBills said:

As with most of our games this year, we are not even in that game if we don’t have Josh

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Pro tip: the past-tense of "lead" is "led." I offer this in the spirit of goodwill and brotherhood amongst Bills fans. 

I tend to agree, actually, that JA17's poor play in that first matchup was in fact a leading cause of the loss.

The defense definitely didn't rise up and win it anyways, but we can't have those turnovers and miscues. Have to score more.

As usual, it is never one thing but a bunch of things that could have changed the game. .... And lost in the narrative is one big thing that I think has been ignored, the missed field goal. It was very make-able, and not getting it changes the momentum, and in the end, the results.

• Agree 1

Unpopular take alert:

Gabe Davis is going to be big this weekend. I know despite all the criticisms and frustrations that have surrounded him this season, he is still a talent player who has good ball skills and field awareness. 

Im looking for Davis to have a big game with some contested catches or toe tap grabs. I think Allen trusts him, and will Diggs likely earning extra attention this weekend, I hope he gives him chances to make big plays.

Check out his rookie highlight tape. You’ll see a top of top-notch grabs. This is still the same guy who ripped off 4 TDs and over 200 plus yards against the chiefs last year. 

If they allow him to get running, and create separation with his speed/stride, I like him for a big week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Why do we have to characterize wins, again? Beating the Steelers 38-7 shows up the same as beating Detroit on a last second field goal.

To win a championship, you have to win a bunch of games in a row against playoff teams.  At that point the first 17 games don't count.  Hopefully at some point we can win 3 or 4 of those in a row. 

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Thank you this was bugging me

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Ok thanks haven't noticed.

It sucks that Zimmer went to Miami. It should've been him.

I agree, especially since apparently Zimmer is very smart. 

So I'm sure by now Miami has all the defensive schemes and offensive play designs and calls we used while he was here.

On 12/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, Chaos said:

This game is a great sports psychology study.  The Bills should bear the Jets at home fairly easily.  In the past several years the Bills have struggled being front runners. A win in this game is evidence they have overcome this psychological block.  

I wouldn’t say easily. The jets D is legit and even though their qb isn’t elite, he is decent. Their offense has a few play makers. We aren’t playing the Texans here. Saleh is also a good coach. 

Edited by Scott7975

Jets are fully healthy. I think Davis wr didn’t play first game . He’s going to body up and make plays. Mike white is sooooo much better of a qb than Zach Wilson. And we made Zach look the best he ever looked. 

don’t get this line buf -10. To me it’s a 3 point game either way 

Edited by balln

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

Didn't see this upthread,but all the sick-o little Jetsies have no game status so are good to go for the game.

I hope they still feel like a Buffalo ran over them, before the game

Only one who is "questionable" is Michael Clemens, a rookie DLman who appears to be their 3rd string DE

Jets IR looks like this: (plus OT Max Mitchell on non-football injury which is probably a scum move by the Jets for a rookie who played 6 games for them)

T Mekhi Becton - Reserve/Injured
FB Nick Bawden - Reserve/Injured
T Cedric Ogbuehi - Reserve/Injured
RB Breece Hall - Reserve/Injured
OL Greg Senat - Reserve/Non-Football Injury
OL Alijah Vera-Tucker - Reserve/Injured

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I wouldn’t say easily. The jets D is legit and even though their qb isn’t elite, he is decent. Their offense has a few play makers. We aren’t playing the Texans here. Saleh is also a good coach. 

He’s not decent, he had a good game. There’s a reason he is a career back up. He had a good game last year too before playing the Bills, and how well did that work out for him? 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Saleh is a good coach, who, prior to last game, Josh Allen owned (including while in SF)

It will help the Bills D to have Poyer and Tre White, and hopefully Rousseau will be in all game.  If Milano can't go, I expect to see AJ Klein and a reprise of the slightly altered coverage scheme that allowed him to become DPOW against the Chargers.

I think an under-appreciated aspect of having our vets in at DB is that Frazier can open the playbook as far as disguised coverage.  Mike White threw 8 INTs in 4 games last season and the Bills collected 4 of them.

Last meeting was the middle of a 3 game stretch where the Bills sucked against the run.  To my eyes, this was the result of guys not being gap-sound in assignment, with Phillips one of the chief offenders (but Rousseau is really good against the run so losing him hurt).  Benford didn't help, and when he did make a tackle he seemed to get trucked 5 yds upfield.

Still, if Allen hadn't gift-wrapped two INTs, one on 2nd down (SECOND DOWN) in the Jets red zone and one on the Bills 22, OR if we don't miss a 55 yd FG at the end of the half OR if the Bills D doesn't allow a 6:13 drive by the Jets in the 4th including runs of 19, 16, 15, and 9 yards (plus a 6 yd scamper by Wilson), we had plenty of chances to win.

Big question: has Mike White learned from his 4 INT game against us last season, or can we do to him what we did then?  He threw 2 picks in the game against Minn last week - "promising, very promising!"

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

He’s not decent, he had a good game. There’s a reason he is a career back up. He had a good game last year too before playing the Bills, and how well did that work out for him? 

Jets D is better. They have more weapons on offense. Josh Allen wasn’t anything dominant until stef diggs. G Wilson is elite talent. 

im sick of the take that bc of something that happened last year / Mike white is trash now still. Totally false. 

if anything the same

logic should apply - bills O looked like garbage against jets THIS year and prob will struggle this game. Jets have t allowed a passer above 250 yards allllll season. Also look at points allowed by them game by game

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

when I say decent I mean that he can play a game manger role. I believe he can. I think he is better than Wilson who was a first round pick. 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Saleh is a good coach, who, prior to last game, Josh Allen owned (including while in SF)

It will help the Bills D to have Poyer and Tre White, and hopefully Rousseau will be in all game.  If Milano can't go, I expect to see AJ Klein and a reprise of the slightly altered coverage scheme that allowed him to become DPOW against the Chargers.

I think an under-appreciated aspect of having our vets in at DB is that Frazier can open the playbook as far as disguised coverage.  Mike White threw 8 INTs in 4 games last season and the Bills collected 4 of them.

Last meeting was the middle of a 3 game stretch where the Bills sucked against the run.  To my eyes, this was the result of guys not being gap-sound in assignment, with Phillips one of the chief offenders (but Rousseau is really good against the run so losing him hurt).  Benford didn't help, and when he did make a tackle he seemed to get trucked 5 yds upfield.

Still, if Allen hadn't gift-wrapped two INTs, one on 2nd down (SECOND DOWN) in the Jets red zone and one on the Bills 22, OR if we don't miss a 55 yd FG at the end of the half OR if the Bills D doesn't allow a 6:13 drive by the Jets in the 4th including runs of 19, 16, 15, and 9 yards (plus a 6 yd scamper by Wilson), we had plenty of chances to win.

Big question: has Mike White learned from his 4 INT game against us last season, or can we do to him what we did then?  He threw 2 picks in the game against Minn last week - "promising, very promising!"

my comment is to mostly say the Jets aren’t the Texans. No game is easy. I expect the Bills to win. 

10 minutes ago, balln said:

Jets D is better. They have more weapons on offense. Josh Allen wasn’t anything dominant until stef diggs. G Wilson is elite talent. 

im sick of the take that bc of something that happened last year / Mike white is trash now still. Totally false. 

if anything the same

logic should apply - bills O looked like garbage against jets THIS year and prob will struggle this game. Jets have t allowed a passer above 250 yards allllll season. Also look at points allowed by them game by game

They have more weapons on offense??? No, they definitely don’t. Wilson looks like a good one, but who else are you picking on offense over what the Bills have? Mike White has been a back up all season. In fact he even started the season as the back up to the back up! Not really sure why you’re worried about him.

i never once mentioned their defense, they have a great defense. I think it’s going to be a tough game, but I don’t think the Bills offense will make the same mistakes they did the first game and I think a much more healthy Bills defense (which is also really good btw) holds that offense in check 

Edited by Ya Digg?
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.