Raiders release Jonathan Abram does anyone need a safety

Big Blitz

17 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Just curious what is the process for picking somebody like him up? Do the worst teams have ever shot at him?

Actually, yes. The worse teams actually have a better shot at him. A team can put in a claim for a player on waivers. Preference goes from worst team to best team (think draft order). So if the Bills put in a claim for him, but, for example, the Panthers also put in a claim, the Panthers would get him because they are higher in the waiver order. However, if a player is claimed on waivers, the claiming team is responsible for his existing contract. If he clears waivers (meaning no team claims him), then he becomes a free agent and any team can sign him for whatever they agree to. Hope that makes sense!

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 2

can't be worse than Johnson?  

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What do the Bills have to lose? When a first round pick doesn't pan out, I generally think it's because he needs a change in scenery and coaching. 

Poyer was not well thought of prior to coming here.  Hyde was a highly regarded backup.  

No risk and potentially huge reward with him.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Actually, yes. The worse teams actually have a better shot at him. A team can put in a claim for a player on waivers. Preference goes from worst team to best team (think draft order). So if the Bills put in a claim for him, but, for example, the Panthers also put in a claim, the Panthers would get him because they are higher in the waiver order. However, if a player is claimed on waivers, they are responsible for his existing contract. If he clears waivers (meaning no team claims him), then he becomes a free agent and any team can sign him for whatever they agree to. Hope that makes sense!

You nailed it

10 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

can't be worse than Johnson?  

Poyer was not well thought of prior to coming here.  Hyde was a highly regarded backup.  

No risk and potentially huge reward with him.  

As a first round pick though, he probably has a decent-sized contract. I haven't taken the time to go look it up. They may not want that. They may want to let him clear waivers, then sign him for a vet-minimum, "prove it" type deal. 

That's the risk. The first-round pick contract that is attached.

• Like (+1) 1

Even though he is undersized, Abram is probably in the top-5 of hardest hitting safeties in the league right now (whatever that counts for). He will often launch himself recklessly at opponents which leads to him getting hurt regularly. He's knocked himself out before, and has even taken out two of his own teammates by accident. The scouting reports here of him being poor in coverage are accurate, but then again he is a much better player than Johnson as many here have also mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It looks like 2.9M to pick him up. Teams are going to start running more on us. You could bench Juquan and go with 3 safeties. We need to stop obsessing about getting beat deep, and start stopping the run game and short/intermediate routes.  He's fast as he'll and doesn't miss tackles.

after this week, + miami we don't have much to worry about regarding getting beat deep.

i don't think i am worried about cinci's deep game.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

after this week, + miami we don't have much to worry about regarding getting beat deep.

i don't think i am worried about cinci's deep game.

Exactly.....Cinncy and our home Miami game is it.  Cousins isn't going to light it up deep.  The Bills defensive staff have got to swallow some of their stubbornness and be willing to make adjustments. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

As a first round pick though, he probably has a decent-sized contract. I haven't taken the time to go look it up. They may not want that. They may want to let him clear waivers, then sign him for a vet-minimum, "prove it" type deal. 

That's the risk. The first-round pick contract that is attached.

I agree.  I'd wait to see if he clears waivers, then I'd be on the phone ASAP.  (unless we are okay with rolling the dice on that first round contract and trust our secondary system to fit him like it has for poyer, hyde, etc.)  

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Even though he is undersized, Abram is probably in the top-5 of hardest hitting safeties in the league right now (whatever that counts for). He will often launch himself recklessly at opponents which leads to him getting hurt regularly. He's knocked himself out before, and has even taken out two of his own teammates by accident. The scouting reports here of him being poor in coverage are accurate, but then again he is a much better player than Johnson as many here have also mentioned.

Which I feel we need. We need someone who can bully the other team a bit. At worst he is a situational player that can lay some wood on folks. Much better than Johnson and not bad vs run heavy teams and many of the potential playoff matchups - Jets, Titans, Ravens.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It looks like 2.9M to pick him up. Teams are going to start running more on us. You could bench Juquan and go with 3 safeties. We need to stop obsessing about getting beat deep, and start stopping the run game and short/intermediate routes.  He's fast as he'll and doesn't miss tackles.

it all comes back to whether we expect to be the #1 offense. Teams aren’t going to rush for 30 ppg on us. If we become a team that turns over the ball in the red zone then it’s a whole different conversation 

the colts best defensive player was Peyton manning. That dude was a terrible run defender but racked up sacks and turnovers and never gave up a deep ball 

15 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Wonder if OBD makes switch to Marlowe if Poyer can't go.  He started 3-4 games his last year here when Hyde and Poyer were dinged up.  Physically bigger and faster than Jaquan Johnson.  

my suspicion is the term starter won’t matter and that it’ll be package assignments with splits based on situation 

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

it all comes back to whether we expect to be the #1 offense. Teams aren’t going to rush for 30 ppg on us. If we become a team that turns over the ball in the red zone then it’s a whole different conversation 

the colts best defensive player was Peyton manning. That dude was a terrible run defender but racked up sacks and turnovers and never gave up a deep ball 

my suspicion is the term starter won’t matter and that it’ll be package assignments with splits based on situation 

Our defense is designed to compliment our offense when that offense is humming along. We saw that in the Packers game except we didn't do ***** in the 2nd half on offense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.