Is Jamison Crowder going to return at any point?

Jim

Hey so I don't post much on here, cuz I don't want to add nonsense where none is needed, but I noticed that we've never really gotten any kind of info on Crowder besides the fact that he is on injured reserve. Has anybody heard anything? I know he didn't get a ton of a chance to show what he could do this season, and as of his injury didn't seem to establish a major rapport with Josh, but he was sure-handed as a returner and it couldn't hurt to have another veteran receiver. So what's the deal? Should we assume his career as a Bill is done, or maybe do we get him back late season?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We haven't heard when he'll return. His ankle was actually broken (October 3rd reported) and that's killer for a guy who has to cut. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another 2 - 3 weeks at least. Depends on how serious the break is, of course.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/03/jamison-crowder-broke-his-ankle-sunday/

Edited by Thurman#1

41 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hey so I don't post much on here, cuz I don't want to add nonsense where none is needed, but I noticed that we've never really gotten any kind of info on Crowder besides the fact that he is on injured reserve. Has anybody heard anything? I know he didn't get a ton of a chance to show what he could do this season, and as of his injury didn't seem to establish a major rapport with Josh, but he was sure-handed as a returner and it couldn't hurt to have another veteran receiver. So what's the deal? Should we assume his career as a Bill is done, or maybe do we get him back late season?

Unless they re-sign him, I think his career as a Bill is done.

Dr Kyle Trimble (Banged Up Bills) is usually a pretty good source.  He wrote on the injury after it happened:

He likely suffered a high-ankle sprain with fracture/dislocation. This is the result of the foot being pushed up and getting twisted outward for the high-ankle mechanism. When the foot gets twisted out, the foot complex pushes on the lateral malleolus, and with another force pinning the fibula from above such as the tackle, the bone breaks. This commonly leads to dislocation in the ankle complex as well.

On average, NFL players who have suffered a distal fibula fracture (broken ankle) missed a total of 123.8 days (4 months). Even if he suffered an isolated fibula fracture without any associated damage that required surgery, he would miss 117.1 days (3.8 months). 90 percent of players who suffer this injury return to play the following season. The four-month mark from his surgery date would be the divisional playoffs.

In the best-case scenario, I would consider a return similar to what former Alabama and now Dolphins WR Jaylen Waddle went through in 2020, returning in 11 weeks to play in the National Championship game. Even then, he wasn’t much of a factor and was visibly limited in his abilities. Unfortunately, Crowder is nowhere near as talented as Waddle......Taking this all into account, his season is effectively over. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I expected him to fit better in this offense. I was a fan of his previous work. Definitely expected injuries with him but it’s sad it was a longer injury. 
Unless there are more injuries to the receiver group and he rushes to get back I don’t think he’ll play for buffalo again. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Broken ankle - anywhere from probably 10 at the low end to season ending.  Depends how bad everything was, but we probably won't hear anything for another 4-6 weeks.

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Depends on the bone, where the fracture is on it... is it displaced... surgery usually means screws inserted to keep it from displacing... ? will they remove screws and is there any ligament damage?  

He's done with Buffalo. We have McNugget, Shakir, and are still in the running for OBJ (along with like 5 other teams it seems). Either way, with the injury and how the roster is right now I can't imagine him ever coming off of IR this season. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I don’t subscribe to the Athletic, but apparently Jamison Crowder is targeting a potential late December return:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/12701/jamison-crowder

Here's a snippet about Crowder from the Athletic Article on this weeks game:

Crowder’s injury was actually a broken fibula at the bottom, which impacted some additional ligaments on the inside. Crowder had surgery on the injury to put in a plate, which the surgeon classified as a clean break. And because it was a clean break rather than a compound fracture or something more severe, it’s created some optimism for Crowder to return this season.

“They said it wasn’t nothing too crazy, too complicated,” Crowder told The Athletic. “Obviously, you don’t want to get injured, just thankful it wasn’t the worst of the worst. There’s still a chance I can potentially get back.”

Crowder began walking again a little under a month ago. Most recently, he has been running in the pool on the underwater treadmill for the last two weeks, preventing full body weight from going on the surgically repaired ankle. The next thing for the receiver is to graduate to an anti-gravity treadmill, intending to get back on the field to start jogging in “maybe like, two weeks.”

As for a return to action, it would be late in the regular season, but Crowder has a target in mind.

“Around like that late December timeframe. That’s the goal for me,” he said. “It was something that the surgeon, they said there was a chance. It’s just all about how I’m feeling at that point and how well the rehab has gone. Right now my focus is to go day by day, trying to get better, and obviously try to get the strength and everything back, so, just see when we get to that time period, just see how it’s going.”

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/2/2022 at 5:25 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

He was in the video where Mckenzie was hiding as a plant and was using a cart to get around. Don't think he is anywhere close to playing. I've always liked Crowder, thought hed be a good guy to have down the stretch

One of the more consistent players on a bad Jets team. Gave us fits and I thought was a great replacement for Beasley.

Was a another loss to injury this year that stung.

Definitely impacted the offense and our ability to attack zones in front of the sticks when he went down.

Reading zone and running the right route to find the soft spots is not quite McKenzie's forte and Shakir is still green.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/2/2022 at 9:54 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

Well my Jameson Chowder returned last night unexpectedly. 

First Tre White dogging it, luxuriating in his mountain of hundred dollar bills, now Jamison Crowder!

Seriously, I like Crowder. I think signing him was a good idea, and an experienced slot receiver is something we really need. Fingers crossed that he gets back for the playoffs.

• Agree 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

INteresting question.  The team just cut Hodgins, so it appears that Kumerow will continue to be active barring injury.  So Stef, Gabe, McK, Tupac, Kumerow will be the starting 5 going forward.  Somehow Tanner Gentry is back as well, which I missed.

Anyone catch what Hodgins is doing in New Jersey?

I don't know why this team keeps Kumerow around...

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills are nine and three let that sink in a little bit and stop acting like the girl that never gets asked to prom

I’ll leave the never getting asked to the prom stuff to you since you seem to be some kind of expert on such things and just let the guy who runs nfl films Greg Cosell who agrees with me 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I seriously wonder what your posts would look like if this team lost two games in a row

You’re living a fantasy of bringing back, retired players, in hopes of saving a nine and three team

it is beyond pathetic

They did lose two games in a row and in one of those games Josh was so scared his guys would drop it he didn’t even bother attempting throwing in the middle of the field 

So there is a chance he comes back. I read all the TBD doctors posting in this thread that he was done for the year. They were so certain!

It's almost as if you need both a medical license AND specific knowledge of the particular patient and the injury / surgery in order to actually speak intelligently about a player's potential return...

1 minute ago, MJS said:

So there is a chance he comes back. I read all the TBD doctors posting in this thread that he was done for the year. They were so certain!

It's almost as if you need both a medical license AND specific knowledge of the particular patient and the injury / surgery in order to actually speak intelligently about a player's potential return...

It would definitely help the situation if he was able to come back for the playoffs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.