No!!! Bradley Chubb to the Dolphins!

Big Turk

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Rousseau is in the 2nd year of his rookie deal. We don't have to worry about him for another 3 seasons. That's a stretch of a hypothetical at the moment. Also, Von will more than likely be gone by then, the market will be completely different, and so will the salary cap. We have a lot of people coming up on contracts before Groot. But if his play warrants it, and we want to keep him, you pay the man. 

These are Chubb's career stats. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChubBr00.htm

image.thumb.png.4f4edf7179a2e8d056381a032c3984a7.png

His best year was his rookie season, he has missed a lot of time due to injury early in his career, and it doesn't really seem like the $$$ matches the production. Glad the Dolphins made that move and hitched their wagons to him though. Time will tell how it plays out, but this move doesn't make me nervous in the slightest. 

Yeah I'm not concerned about Chubb.   He's not elite.......he essentially replaces what they had had with Ogbah before he fell off a cliff this season.  And at the expense of a first round pick that is of course cost controlled,  important as they are really piling up some bad cap numbers.    Worked out great for the Broncos..........his trade value with that fat, fully guaranteed 5th year option was zero last offseason.   I hope Miami extends him in-season at the top of his market.

Edit:  See I missed the contract extension.   Excellent.   That's a lot of money invested in players with significant injury histories at LT and Pass Rusher.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I'm not concerned about Chubb.   He's not elite.......he essentially replaces what they had had with Ogbah before he fell off a cliff this season.  And at the expense of a first round pick that is of course cost controlled,  important as they are really piling up some bad cap numbers.    Worked out great for the Broncos..........his trade value with that fat, fully guaranteed 5th year option was zero last offseason.   I hope Miami extends him in-season at the top of his market.

Edit:  See I missed the contract extension.   Excellent.   That's a lot of money invested in players with significant injury histories at LT and Pass Rusher.   

And a 1B-2nd tier QB who they will have to pay like a 1A QB in another year or two. Who also has a significant injury history.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But that's the market. Like I said, he is better when healthy than Maxx Crosby and he got $23.5m. Edge rushers are this year's wide receivers. You are finally seeing front offices as they have transitioned to a younger cadre of GMs realise you have to pay stars at the premium spots. And if at edge rusher you end up paying a very good player elite money but you still get very good production, who cares? What you can't do is pay the role players like Emmanuel Ogbah like they are very good players or overpay non-elite players at the non-premium positions like off the ball linebacker, running back, tight end, guard and safety. 

I agree with your point about overpaying for production at premium spots.   You need it.   They are really piling up some cap debt though.   I hope Tua keeps it up and gets $40M plus as well and the Fish have to go Saints-mode.    Injuries happen but you have to like the durability of the Bills at QB/LT/Edge versus what Miami has.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with your point about overpaying for production at premium spots.   You need it.   They are really piling up some cap debt though.   I hope Tua keeps it up and gets $40M plus as well and the Fish have to go Saints-mode.    Injuries happen but you have to like the durability of the Bills at QB/LT/Edge versus what Miami has.

For sure. They have definitely taken risks on guys with dubious health records. You can get away with 1 of those... you don't want to be trying to get away with 3 or 4.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, Donuts and Doritos said:

Could the Phins be building a team for Tom to take over next year or do you think they're committed to Tua long term?

(With the Phins now having no 1st round picks to get a rookie QB & the stories they had talks w/ Tom last year. This seems like an all in roster build)

I mean... Tua actually has played pretty well for them.  I dont believe he is elite but if he continues that play the rest of the season, I dont think they just give up on him. Tom is past his prime. He isnt playing very well from the two games I have watched him.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thinking about creating an account on a Dolphin fan board just to start a fight. 

Just go on Twitter bro.  They are going insane on Twitter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Point being, they are likely going to pay Tua and there won’t be much flexibility for them afterwards once they do.

Lots of dead money hits are attached to these big contracts. 

Tua will play the next 2 years under his rookie contract.  His big contract will kick in 2025.  Hill, Howard and Chubb will have dead cap hit over 10m.  Those are the only substantial contracts.  

some teams want to win now. Whether or not they are good enough to win the SB is unknown, but they have what looks to be a dangerous team for the next 2 years minimum. They’re confidant and I don’t a problem with what they’re doing.   They’re putting Miami back on the nfl map after not winning a playoff game for 20+ years.  

there’s several ways to build a champion.  I think they’ve done a helluva job to date.  It may catch up to them.  It may also pay off

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Dolphins are a legit contender with Tua, it's what the factual data shows. And the MVP talk is gaining steam again considering they are undefeated in every game he's started and finished this year.

And by landing a premier defensive player it will help shore up their defense which has been an issue at times this year, mostly because of injuries anyway.

Again, I know some fans here don't really care or believe there is any real threat to the Bills, but I still think this will be a tight race especially given the Dolphins upcoming schedule which is very favorable to stack some wins before their next matchup with us.

The Bills schedule isnt that much different than Miami before our next game.  We got the Jets x 2, Pats, Lions, Browns.  The tougher game is the Vikings.  Do you even think before you post or does your brain go automatic pump up Miami?

No reason to look at signings 2-3 years from now...players get released , contracts expire and get restructured. Beane seems to be able to sign and re-sign whomever he wants

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Looking at the Dolphins schedule they could be 1-5 in their next 6 games

@Chicago- L

vs Cleveland - L 

vs Texans - W

@SF - L

@ LA Chargers - L

@ Buffalo - For sure L

right now they are better than Bears, Browns and Chargers. Not sure why you have them losing all 3

4 minutes ago, Negan said:

@Chicago- L

vs Cleveland - L 

vs Texans - W

@SF - L

@ LA Chargers - L

@ Buffalo - For sure L

@ Chicago - W

vs Cleveland - W

vs Texans - W

@ SF - L

@ Chargers - Depends on what LA's injury report looks like by them, but probably a W for Miami

@ Buffalo  - L

I don't see them losing to teams like Chicago, who traded their two best defensive players the last couple of weeks and have a lackluster offense. I don't see them losing to a Brissett led Cleveland team. I don't see them losing to the injury riddled Chargers either at the moment, but we can check back in on game week to see what the injury report is looking like. More than likely they will be 4-2 in the next 6. That would have them at 9-5 and clearly in the Playoff hunt. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Exactly. Like the bills before Allen got his money would have locked up Poyer and Edmunds last year. Now, it’s a much tougher discussion.

personally, I think qb Shouldn’t count against your cap. But they should be guaranteed contracts that hurt you if you make a bad investment.

Fair. Nfl reported contracts are very misleading though. There’s a ton of language in there where he is not probably going to get all that money and it will be restructured one day.

I have been saying this for years...to find a franchise QB is extremely difficult.  You draft one, he comes a superstar and needs to be paid like one, and then that handicaps the ability to build the rest of the team.  I think if the rule was even "if you draft a QB, he doesn't count against the cap" would go a long way in making the game better.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

I have been saying this for years...to find a franchise QB is extremely difficult.  You draft one, he comes a superstar and needs to be paid like one, and then that handicaps the ability to build the rest of the team.  I think if the rule was even "if you draft a QB, he doesn't count against the cap" would go a long way in making the game better.

I think drafted players should not count. Have a cap only on free agents and traded players. Reward teams that draft well and encourage teams to keep their own guys which is good for fans as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I think drafted players should not count. Have a cap only on free agents and traded players. Reward teams that draft well and encourage teams to keep their own guys which is good for fans as well. 

You’d have to keep a cap for all players or you end up with issues. It might be better to discount long term players contracts though…. Like every three years they’re on the same team they count as 5% less as a cap hit; so, year four 95% cap hit, year seven 90% cap hit, year ten 85% cap hit. It’d also allow some the aging vets to stay with their teams and retire there instead of being cap casualties in their final year or two. 

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

These prices are astronomical, but that's the absurd nature of the bloated beast. Great addition for the Dolphins. That roster may be better/deeper than the Bills with the obvious divergence being Allen > Tag. 

Their secondary is talented but they give up a lot.

It’s an explosive team though, offense and defense. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They're gonna have to pay Tua this off-season.  He'll want his big money extension no rather than later.

They have a few years. They are in perfect position to load up and make a run for 2-3 more years. The Bills window for that closes this year.  It’ll start getting tight but they’ll still be able to do some things.

Just now, Airseven said:

These prices are astronomical, but that's the absurd nature of the bloated beast. Great addition for the Dolphins. That roster may be better/deeper than the Bills with the obvious divergence being Allen > Tag. 

When healthy, I'd say the Bills have a massive edge at QB and a moderate edge on the OL. 

I won't deny though, the Dolphins are loaded.. Chargers East.  I may give them the edge at the skill positions with Hill, Waddle, Gesicki, Mostert, Wilson etc.  We'll have to see how the Bills deploy Hines, because we don't really have a reliable #2 option after Diggs at the moment. 

We'll see if Chubb can elevate their defense to be on par with the Bills.. I'm going to go with no, but they have a lot of talent on that DL with some really nice secondary players. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have a few years. They are in perfect position to load up and make a run for 2-3 more years. The Bills window for that closes this year.  It’ll start getting tight but they’ll still be able to do some things.

I'm betting he demands a new contract after the season.  Like all the other franchise QBs have done.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Their secondary is talented but they give up a lot.

It’s an explosive team though, offense and defense. 

Their defense is loaded with names and high picks, but they aren't good for whatever reason.  They had a really good game against buffalo on 3rd/4th/red zone conversions.  But outside of that game, they've been pretty mediocre at all three.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think that’s the point of it. They realize the best time to strike is when you have a Qb on his rookie deal.  Pay everyone around him and you have a contender if the QB is good enough to win games.  Tua looks to be good enough to win games.  Just dunno about the SB.  

As much as I like to talk ***** about Miami, you're right.  Tyreek Hill is 28 years old.  Who knows how long he'll be able to keep at this pace of being lightning fast and shifty.  So, they're paying him right now.  He has a $31M cap hit next year.  Miami has the option (and they will do it) of the 5th year for Tua.  He's going to have a low cap hit for 2 more seasons after this.  They know right now their window is this year and 2 more years after that.  By that time, Chubb and Hill will most likely have a good enough dead cap hit that they can restructure or cut them, before they have to pay Waddle.  But they clearly have 2 more seasons after this year for that kind of window.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Their defense is loaded with names and high picks, but they aren't good for whatever reason.  They had a really good game against buffalo on 3rd/4th/red zone conversions.  But outside of that game, they've been pretty mediocre at all three.  

I don’t think they stopped Buffalo. It was more Buffalo stopping themselves.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm betting he demands a new contract after the season.  Like all the other franchise QBs have done.

Even if he does, he has the 4th year and the 5th year option.  His cap hit wont even take effect until the 2025 season.  Miami is going to be in good shape for a few years if Tua continues to play better.

So, I just looked, and I was correct.  The year that Tua's contract would take effect, Hill would have a $50.1M cap hit, but a $5.1M Dead Cap.  So they'll get a $45M cap hit relief.  That's just in time to pay Tua and still have the potential to restructure Hill's deal, or find a younger receiver (or pay Waddle).  They gave all his money when Tua wasn't in the rookie deal.  I'm assuming that's what they'll do for Chubb as well.  

Edited by BillyBilliams

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Very interesting idea. I believe in the nba the team that has the player before they become a free agent can offer more than other teams as an incentive for players to stay with the “local” team. Rarely works though.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think they stopped Buffalo. It was more Buffalo stopping themselves.

It wasn't the Dolphins, that's for sure. Not even sure it was the Bills. It was mostly that massive, 430,000mi wide, 9900° F ball of nuclear fussion burning in the sky that was the only thing that could stop the Bills so far this season.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Negan said:

@Chicago- L

vs Cleveland - L 

vs Texans - W

@SF - L

@ LA Chargers - L

@ Buffalo - For sure L

With all due respect, you haven't been paying attention to the Dolphins if you think they are going 1-5 in these games.

Chicago and Cleveland and bad teams and they should win both those fairly easy along with the Texans.

I do agree that 3 game road stretch after is going to be brutal but since I believe they are a contender they should win at least one of those, probably SF and/or LAC who have both been very inconsistent this year anyway especially at home. McDaniel is very familiar with the 49ers being their former OC so he knows the team inside and out which will help as well.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/1/2022 at 2:29 PM, FireChans said:

Where was that dude who said the NFL trade deadline sucked and no big trades ever happen?  lol

To be fair it's usually that way. Not this year. And didn't use to be earlier too in the year? I actually liked that. The roster you are on is YOUR roster. In hockey, how can you build true team spirit when you can get traded 5-6 months in the season?

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very interesting idea. I believe in the nba the team that has the player before they become a free agent can offer more than other teams as an incentive for players to stay with the “local” team. Rarely works though.

In the NBA a player's current team get what's called "Bird Rights," in that they can offer more money and an additional year. But as you point out, it doesn't work because players have every incentive to team up to form super teams in big/warm-weather markets. This doesn't apply to the NFL because there are no max contracts and there is a hard salary cap. If there was a soft cap (that teams can exceed by paying fines) in the NFL, the Dolphins would be a super team due to the weather and the sheer amount of NFL players that are from South Florida.

The NBA makes NFL finances look sane. I just looked this up. The 2022-2023 salary cap in the NBA is $123.7 million. The Warriors payroll is $188.7 million. On top of that, they pay a luxury tax of $164.9 million. THEIR LUXURY TAX PAYMENT EXCEEDS THE SALARY CAP by $42 MILLION.  

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Tua will play the next 2 years under his rookie contract.  His big contract will kick in 2025.  Hill, Howard and Chubb will have dead cap hit over 10m.  Those are the only substantial contracts.  

some teams want to win now. Whether or not they are good enough to win the SB is unknown, but they have what looks to be a dangerous team for the next 2 years minimum. They’re confidant and I don’t a problem with what they’re doing.   They’re putting Miami back on the nfl map after not winning a playoff game for 20+ years.  

there’s several ways to build a champion.  I think they’ve done a helluva job to date.  It may catch up to them.  It may also pay off

True, next year Tua's cap hit is only about $10M but in 2024 (5th year option) hit will be closer to $24M.

It's not like he will coming in cheap.  Money wise, things are tightening up for them.

As for draft picks they have blown their wad, so going forward they're behind the curve.

2023:  2,3,3,6,7.

2024:  1,2,5,6,7.

They have a good team but will have to work hard to maintain it.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

So, 2023 will be a bit interesting for Miami. They haven't even added the Chubb deal yet on Spotrac and this is what their cap looks like, $11.78M. I see a few places to free up a quick $8M or so, but they will be right up against it next year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2023/

image.thumb.png.da68bd63b86192423752fcd233587fdb.png

I think the Tua situation will be easy to manager for them, unfortunately for us.  If I'm them, I let him play out his contract and even test FA.  I don't see another team throwing a lot of money at him.  Tua looks to be benefiting from the system and those around him, not a guy you can put on any team and make them better.  He will still get paid, but as of right now, I don't think he breaks top 10 money.  Therefor, I don't think the Dolphins are in any rush to sign him.

Fortunately for us, they won't have the money to pursue a Lamar if he becomes available.  

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

True, next year Tua's cap hit is only about $10M but in 2024 (5th year option) hit will be closer to $24M.

It's not like he will coming in cheap.  Money wise, things are tightening up for them.

As for draft picks they have blown their wad, so going forward they're behind the curve.

2023:  2,3,3,6,7.

2024:  1,2,5,6,7.

They have a good team but will have to work hard to maintain it.

For sure.  The rams have been blowing their wad since the 2016 draft and won a super bowl in 2021 (2022).  It caught up to them prior to their SB season and then again this year, but they’ve been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1.  Like I’ve said (and we all know), there are several paths to building a champion.  The path the dolphins are taking has been travelled before and has Lombardis to show for it.  

They have an extremely talented roster.  Time will tell if the FO is capable of maintaining it….. or capable of winning a super bowl.  The team doesn’t even know if they 💯 have a stud franchise QB and they’re contenders (imo).  Not sure why anyone would frown on what they’ve done other than because they’re scared of them.   The team has been basically nonexistent for decades.  They aren’t anymore

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think the Tua situation will be easy to manager for them, unfortunately for us.  If I'm them, I let him play out his contract and even test FA.  I don't see another team throwing a lot of money at him.  Tua looks to be benefiting from the system and those around him, not a guy you can put on any team and make them better.  He will still get paid, but as of right now, I don't think he breaks top 10 money.  Therefor, I don't think the Dolphins are in any rush to sign him.

Fortunately for us, they won't have the money to pursue a Lamar if he becomes available.  

The lost pick for tampering might haunt them…they still have a lot of question marks predominantly on the offensive line but they could use some coverage linebackers too.  This Bradley Chubb move will undoubtedly help them short term but I think they went all in a bit too early and it’s gonna hurt them in the long run.  

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He looked really good this past week, albeit vs a terrible lions D.  He seems to be improving.  Will he be able to stay healthy is my biggest questions surrounding whether or not they should pay him.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure.  The rams have been blowing their wad since the 2016 draft and won a super bowl in 2021 (2022).  It caught up to them prior to their SB season and then again this year, but they’ve been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1.  Like I’ve said (and we all know), there are several paths to building a champion.  The path the dolphins are taking has been travelled before and has Lombardis to show for it.  

They have an extremely talented roster.  Time will tell if the FO is capable of maintaining it….. or capable of winning a super bowl.  The team doesn’t even know if they 💯 have a stud franchise QB and they’re contenders (imo).  Not sure why anyone would frown on what they’ve done other than because they’re scared of them.   The team has been basically nonexistent for decades.  They aren’t anymore

The 2022 dolphins are not nearly as complete a team as last years rams.   They don’t have enough capital to fill in the offensive line and some other big holes now and I think tyreek will be on the downswing by the time they can put all the pieces together.  I don’t want to call their offense gimmicky per se but you pretty much know it’s going to be quick passes in the middle of the field with tua at qb and I don’t see them sneaking through a tough AFC playoff in the short term where good defenses will know exactly what’s coming 

if the defense didn’t take a big step back after the departure of Flores maybe it would be a different story 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

I think they are really good on paper right now, and they won 12 out of last 13 games which Tua started and finished.

They are no doubt a contender right now, but there are still couple of question marks, mostly about Tua, their playoff inexperience and coaching. And I do think we are still slightly better team even if we remove Josh and Tua from the equation.

So to sum it up, I can fully imagine them ending up something like 12-5 or even 13-4, but it won't be enough to win the East and unless we are really unlucky that surely won't be enough when they meet JFA in Orchard park in December and especially in January.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.