Bills Mafia piece on The Today Show this morning.

Draconator

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

Where did the bills mafia name originate?  I thought a group of fans had called themselves that for years, but I may be confusing that with the Bills Army group

Watch the video, contains an interview with Del Reid and original spat on Twitter

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I’m curious what the average non-Twitter opinion of Del Reid is. 

My wife who isn't on Twitter is in the CORE program through UB for business owners. Del came in to talk to the class. He was very well received, gave a ton of business knowledge to the class. My wife went up to introduce herself to him and thought him to be super pleasant.

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Two things:

Around 4:10, he's talking about going to a game if you're from out of town and not being able to find a hotel room within 60 miles. I know some of the out-of-towners on TBD go to games and stay nearby. How difficult is it to find a room?

Shortly after, he mentions philanthropy, but the only dollar figure he gives is $20k. Is he not aware of Oishei"s or Andy Dalton's foundation? Just those two combined amounted to over $2M, didn't they?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I’m curious what the average non-Twitter opinion of Del Reid is. 

Any dude that starts a company and donates over $1.5 million in proceeds to charity is OK in my book.

He could have chosen to keep that money for himself.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Any dude that starts a company and donates over $1.5 million in proceeds to charity is OK in my book.

He could have chosen to keep that money for himself.

Some people call that a marketing gimmick. I have a hard time calling it a gimmick since it does help charity. But I can also see what they’re saying - he uses it as a selling point to sell his shirts and it’s possible his company is no where near what it is now if not for the donation marketing.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

What do you think it is

I’m not sure. It seems kinda split on Twitter, but more positive than negative. I’ve seen people question his reason behind the good things he does (ulterior motive kind of thing) and i’ve seen people be upset at him seeing himself as the father of BillsMafia. But i’ve also seen just as much (and more) defend him.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

and whats your opinion of Del?

I have nothing against him. In fact, my Twitter account that gives away free Bills tickets was inspired by his donations. I mention him in the Twitter bio.

Edited by Einstein

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt on a vacation to the SF area in Feb. Had a bunch of people asking me whaat it was. I told them about the shirts and charitable giving. Also said being a Bills fan was like being in the Mafia. Once you are in, you can never get out. You are in for life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I have an ex-GF whom I bought a jersey for when we were dating.  One day in 1992, she called me at 3am from San Jose.  I have never forgotten this conversation...

Her: What is it with you people from Buffalo?

Me: What the hell are you talking about?

Her: I went to a bar to see a band with my boyfriend and I wore that jersey you bought me.  HE has to pay the $10 cover.  I got in for free and got my first drink on the house.  All the TVs had a Buffalo Sabres game on.  People around the bar were cheering.  Even those who came to see the band.

Me: Oh, that's a Buffalo Bar.  It's where expatriates go on game day.  If you go by it in the fall, on Sunday mornings, I bet you will see a party at the bar during the Bills game.

Her: I can't believe you're saying that many people from Buffalo are as into sports like you are.

Me: Most, I should think.  We're a loyal bunch.

Her: You meant fanatical right?

Me: That too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

I have an ex-GF whom I bought a jersey for when we were dating.  One day in 1992, she called me at 3am from San Jose.  I have never forgotten this conversation...

Her: What is it with you people from Buffalo?

Me: What the hell are you talking about?

Her: I went to a bar to see a band with my boyfriend and I wore that jersey you bought me.  HE has to pay the $10 cover.  I got in for free and got my first drink on the house.  All the TVs had a Buffalo Sabres game on.  People around the bar were cheering.  Even those who came to see the band.

Me: Oh, that's a Buffalo Bar.  It's where expatriates go on game day.  If you go by it in the fall, on Sunday mornings, I bet you will see a party at the bar during the Bills game.

Her: I can't believe you're saying that many people from Buffalo are as into sports like you are.

Me: Most, I should think.  We're a loyal bunch.

Her: You meant fanatical right?

Me: That too.

Lol.  Too funny.  She deserves the ex status 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what was the story about Adam Schefter banning bills fans?  Hadn't hard about that.

He tweeted something about Stevie Johnson blaming God probably like 24 hours after it was already a treading thing and Bills fans started replying to him about his "breaking news" when it was already a well known.  Basically trolling him.

I believe that was the context and where the #billsMafia took off.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Stevie Johnson dropped a pass in overtime of a "big game".

Lol, I think the bills were 0-8 or 2-9 or something.

I recall watching that game and really getting into it even though the Bills were not a good team that year. It was more about the fact Pitt was a very good team that year (they ended up representing the AFC in the Super Bowl). It was just a fun game and for a moment we forgot about records and enjoyed the game.

9 hours ago, Wacka said:

I wore a Bills Mafia shirt on a vacation to the SF area in Feb. Had a bunch of people asking me whaat it was. I told them about the shirts and charitable giving. Also said being a Bills fan was like being in the Mafia. Once you are in, you can never get out. You are in for life.

up until Josh, there were no fair weather Bills fans.   I moved to New England in 1979, and I have worn Bills gear almost every day since.  And for the past 40 years I have getting my balls busted all the long.   That didn't matter to me, I cheered harder for the Bills.  So whenever I met a fellow Bills fan- in a sea of Pats, Steelers, Giants,  Cowboys fans-  I would seek out my Bills  brother/sister and it would be us against the world.  Any Bills fan I met, I knew endured all the heartache, ridicule, shaming.....and we still proudly cheered for our Bills, and wore our colors proudly.   That was always something special to me

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

When they ask about what’s in the bowling ball and he says someone on the internet explained it… I was the someone.

Woah!!! Now THAT’S a name I haven’t heard in a long time…a long time. “Wisniowka”…a.k.a. “Polish medicinal fire water.”

I’m totally digging Harry Smith’s energy, but he best be careful with that stuff during future sojourns in our lovely Western New York homeland. Two bowling balls in, and next thing you know ol’ Harry is grinding on Billy Buffalo, launching marital aids toward the endzone, libelously editing Nick Wright’s Wikipedia page from his phone, and canoodling with some Lancaster Lothario in the tailgating parking lot who has nothing but compliments for his Bambi eyes and sassy spirit that belies his mousy wallflower facade…and yet who magically disappears into the electromagnetic communication ether like some amorous Houdini following a confrontation over a secret middle school ex who keeps trying to reconnect.

My point: be ready next time, Harry. And bring a coat. It might be chilly.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what was the story about Adam Schefter banning bills fans?  Hadn't hard about that.

Schefter has a habit of auto-blocking people who object to some of his twitterings.  He did it recently over a Dwayne Haskins tweet that raised people's hackles.

Good explanation of the Bills here:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1126445-buffalo-bills-mafia-keep-your-friends-close-but-your-enemies-closer

In this case, it was in response to him tweeting about Stevie Johnson's "God" response to the dropped OT pass vs. Pittsburgh. 

Fans considered he'd done it after the situation had been thoroughly hashed out all over every media outlet and social media and should have been allowed to die, so a bunch of fans were tweeting at Schefter,  #shefterbreakingnews with various old events (Llncoln shot, man discovers fire, etc etc). 

Schefter blocked them all - I think he might have said they were a mob like the mafia, unsure about this - and #billsmafia was born.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Woah!!! Now THAT’S a name I haven’t heard in a long time…a long time. “Wisniowka”…a.k.a. “Polish medicinal fire water.”

I’m totally digging Harry Smith’s energy, but he best be careful with that stuff during future sojourns in our lovely Western New York homeland. Two bowling balls in, and next thing you know ol’ Harry is grinding on Billy Buffalo, launching marital aids toward the endzone, libelously editing Nick Wright’s Wikipedia page from his phone, and canoodling with some Lancaster Lothario in the tailgating parking lot who has nothing but compliments for his Bambi eyes and sassy spirit that belies his mousy wallflower facade…and yet who magically disappears into the electromagnetic communication ether like some amorous Houdini following a confrontation over a secret middle school ex who keeps trying to reconnect.

My point: be ready next time, Harry. And bring a coat. It might be chilly.

If you're not a writer, you missed your calling. Nice!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Draconator, thanks for sharing.  I’m never home as already working by the time the Today show comes on.  I realize this was somewhat of a self promotion for the SNF game, but still pretty cool for the non football fans to see how crazy this fanbase has always been since I was a little kid.

Ive tried to explain it to people I work with like my boss, who’s from Alabama.  He couldn’t believe how nuts we are about our team.  He looked on YouTube some of the absolute crazy stuff we do here.  He told me on our last field ride, you guys are even crazier than Roll Tide fans in AL.  I troll him there really is no comparison to any other NFL team.  Lots of cities have great fans, but the Mafia takes it to a whole new level.  

Im glad he weaved in the philanthropic nature of the Mafia.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.