Sideline TEMPERATURE Dolphins v Vikings

DallasBillsFan1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

OR, at the very least, the rules need to be altered to allow shade on the visitors side. To argue the home team didn’t use tents is ridiculous. THEY WERE IN THE SHADE. One team gets shade? BOTH teams get shade. It’s an unfair advantage, period. 

I’m not whining about losing that game. In a way, I’m kind of glad we lost and eliminated the “perfect season” pressure. But every single early season 1:00pm game provides an advantage to the home team, and could result in serious injury/illness or even death. If you think that is fair and safe, DC Tom wouldn’t even waste keystrokes on you. 

Now I'm imagining a weird scenario where in our new stadium (on rainy days) we take advantage of the current rules to dictate you can only hydrate your team with collected rainwater from the sideline rain shelters.  Oh sorry visiting Dolphins, our new stadium is coincidentally oriented so that rain only falls on our side of the field.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, rajinka said:

Pretty sure the snow cold and wind is the same everywhere in the stadium.  

Some people just cannot see reason. Feel free to carry on if you like, but it just feels like a waste of time. It seems to be a pure troll job, because the truth is so obvious. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

The problem is very obvious. It's unsafe and unfair. The two teams were not playing in the same conditions. That was clear to see with how the Bills were dropping like flies.

I'm genuinely stunned and taken aback that people are not in full agreement that this is incredibly wrong and unethical. Amazing. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Why has this never been an issue before now? 

Pretty sure in the last couple years the Dolphins renovated their upper part of the stadium that gains this advantage. As a result just recently we started seeing them take advantage of the shade it brings their side and dictating that the opposing sidelines cannot have amenities such as pavillion tents for shade that they dont use.

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

when someone dies of a heat stroke...it will be too late. the design was intentional. I hate the dolphins, hate.

Korey Stringer’s family thinks it’s already too late, not to mention countless high school and college kids over the years. IT IS DANGEROUS, and also unfair. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

OR, at the very least, the rules need to be altered to allow shade on the visitors side. To argue the home team didn’t use tents is ridiculous. THEY WERE IN THE SHADE. One team gets shade? BOTH teams get shade. It’s an unfair advantage, period. 

I’m not whining about losing that game. In a way, I’m kind of glad we lost and eliminated the “perfect season” pressure. But every single early season 1:00pm game provides an advantage to the home team, and could result in serious injury/illness or even death. If you think that is fair and safe, DC Tom wouldn’t even waste keystrokes on you. 

They should allow the visitors to erect temporary tents to shield players from the sun but they would probably block the view of premium ($) field level fans.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Korey Stringer’s family thinks it’s already too late, not to mention countless high school and college kids over the years. IT IS DANGEROUS, and also unfair. 

Where is the NFLPA on this issue?

I never thought Stephen Ross was a particularly popular owner, cant believe he would have much support from the other owners.

51 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Ok? And the Bills have the snow to their advantage. Everyone has home field advantage in some way shape or form.

Yes, but you can add layers and have heaters for warmth. You can’t take off enough layers in heat / sun, and disallowing shade / air conditioning efforts bc the Phins aren’t using it is terrible policy.

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Top: Unfair and dangerous for the visitors.

Bottom: Fair, and equally dangerous for everyone. I still don’t love it for safety and competitive reasons. You can’t even see a teams best effort as they drop like flies in the heat. It’s why the World Cup in Qatar got moved out of the summer months. Even lousy FIFA knew that wouldn’t fly! 

• Like (+1) 1

Pegulas should tap their buddy Wilf in Minnesota to approach the NFL about this for a rule change. The stadium pavillion should count as a tent/shade and allow visiting team to erect something to provide the same benefit.

If it comes from the Pegulas, we will get the same douchiness from the rest of the country that we are getting from our own fans. "iTs OnLy cUz yOu LoSt"

53 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Ok? And the Bills have the snow to their advantage. Everyone has home field advantage in some way shape or form.

Right, gotcha.

Bills arrange for it to snow only on visitor side of field.

This is really mindlessly simple.  Allow both teams to have cooling tents on their sideline.  IF Dophins dont want to use them, thats fine.

Now, I can't remember what the number is exactly, but I do know for a fact, that the British Army forbid soldiers from participating in sports, if the temperature gets above that number.

I was out in Cyprus visiting a friend who worked on one of the UK bases there, and they stopped guys from completing games, because the temperature had got too high.

My gut feeling was that that temperature was 35C, but I don't know for sure. What I do know, is that it was well below 120F, even though it was pretty darn hot.

If an armed force has regulations in place about doing stuff in extreme heat, it tells me it's a risk to health, and that something should be done about changing that situation for the better.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

They should allow the visitors to erect temporary tents to shield players from the sun but they would probably block the view of premium ($) field level fans.

How unfortunate. I understand it’s a real issue, but they need to find away around this. We were creating some makeshift shade in the second half, but I forget exactly how they did that. There MUST be a better option than what they currently offer. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Augie said:

Top: Unfair and dangerous for the visitors.

Bottom: Fair, and equally dangerous for everyone. I still don’t love it for safety and competitive reasons. You can’t even see a teams best effort as they drop like flies in the heat. It’s why the World Cup in Qatar got moved out of the summer months. Even lousy FIFA knew that wouldn’t fly! 

Agree, but I bet during the years with the bottom one, Miami didn't dictate that opposing teams couldn't have misting benches and tents as they probably used them themselves or their players would revolt haha.

Fans however yeah that would surely suck to stand in for 4 hours, but at least they aren't exerting the physical activity of playing NFL football, and can walk into the concourse for some respite.

58 minutes ago, Bandito said:

HA! And the Vikings won despite this. @Augie

Bills have only themselves to blame for losing in Miami

54 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Everyone was on here clamoring about this exact thing when the Bills lost in Miami. The Vikings faced practically the same temperature circumstance and won. Don't make excuses. Life isn't fair. @Warcodered

The Vikings won against Freddy Fidgewater and had multiple injuries, including all pro LT terron armstead.  

miami beat when we were completely decimated with injuries and to deal with the heat.  Our offense had 90 snaps- we just couldn’t finish and in the end, we ran out of gas due to the heat.  The Vikings didn’t have to make plays at the end, they were coasting

No one was saying the heat was the ONLY reason they won.  It was a combination of pre-game injuries, more injuries due exhaustion/injury due to heat, poor play in crucial situations (partly due to heat) and a few nice plays by the dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm all for natural weather advantages, but the Dolphins stuff is getting to be over the top.

It is legitimately unsafe for athletes playing as hard as NFL players do to be sitting in 120-130 degree heat with full pads on.

At some point, someone's gonna die or have a serious medical episode due to the heat. It's beyond a fun little weather advantage at this point. It's dangerous.

I agree about the health issue.

Beyond that, that's not what a weather homefield advantage should be about.   A weather homefield advantage is that you're used to playing in the cold and your opponent is not, or you're used to playing in the heat and your opponent is not.   

The point about home field advantage is that everyone is playing on a level playing field, every is playing in the heat or the cold.  If you're team is more accustomed to playing in that weather, great, you have an advantage.   But it's not about playing a tipped playing field, where the weather on your side of the field is better than the weather on the other side of the field.  That is not a level playing field, and it shouldn't be allowed. 

I once concocted a purely hypothetical Cheatriot plot.  Bob Kraft had secretly hired a company with the right manufacturing skill and built a mechanism inside the goal post cross bar.   It extended or contracted the length of the cross bar.  Battery operated, remote control, silent.   It allowed the home team to make the goal posts a foot wider or a foot narrower than regulation.  It worked slowly.   So, every quarter they could adjust the goal posts so the Pats had wider goal posts and the opponent had narrower goal posts.  It worked quietly and so slowly that no one would notice it changing.  

That's a homefield advantage that is not a level playing field.   So is sitting in the shade while your opponent is in the sun.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Agree, but I bet during the years with the bottom one, Miami didn't dictate that opposing teams couldn't have misting benches and tents as they probably used them themselves or their players would revolt haha.

Fans however yeah that would surely suck to stand in for 4 hours, but at least they aren't exerting the physical activity of playing NFL football, and can walk into the concourse for some respite.

Exactly. There is no way on earth the Dolphins would subject their own players to that physical abuse.  “Tents” are irrelevant if you are in the shade. This is pure BS. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Dopey, NFL rules mandate if one side got heaters or for the matter coolers/fans, other side gets equal access to same  but they positioned the field in Miami so the Dolphins get natural shade and the visitors dont.

Every game in Miami in Sept and October should start at 4 if not a night game.

Nobody talks about the reflective vinyl mat they put down that reflects the sun and heat and probably raises the temp by at least 10 degrees. If I had a team playing there I would give my staff knives to cut that up and remove it. IT’s Miami, you can’t grow grass there year round? It’s done to exasperate the situation and should not be allowed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'm all for natural weather advantages, but the Dolphins stuff is getting to be over the top.

It is legitimately unsafe for athletes playing as hard as NFL players do to be sitting in 120-130 degree heat with full pads on.

At some point, someone's gonna die or have a serious medical episode due to the heat. It's beyond a fun little weather advantage at this point. It's dangerous.

This^^^^ 

Players have a chance to protect themselves from the cold.  Extreme heat is a different story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Do we actually know for sure that that temperature reading is accurate?  I don't know that human beings -- even NFL athletes -- are capable of doing anything in 120 degree weather.  I have five marathons under my belt (none terribly recent -- I'm past my racing days) and I wouldn't bother going out for even a short run in those conditions.  Neither would any other serious runner.  

My money is on "broken thermometer."

How much did you end up losing?

I've seen plenty of measurements on various fields--esp artificial turf -- where temps on the field are routinely 130F in summertime.  I have no reason to doubt 120F.

• Like (+1) 1

many others have said it, and I agree... homefield advantage still has both teams playing in the wind, snow, cold, etc. 

This is straight up doing everything they can to make the opposing sideline hotter so that both teams are not playing in the same conditions, and that type of temperature is dangerous for football players to be in all day long. Something very bad will happen eventually. 

2 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

League needs to correct this for safety protection,  they should insist the Dolphins provide visiting team tent overhead shade coverage. That is basically why they beat us and teams need to complain.  It's a multi billion dollar sport,  I am sure they can construct movable  benches with overhead coverage. You beat teams because of talent and fans screaming not your opponent passing out from the heat 

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They will never allow tents as that would block the view from the existing first few rows of seating.  The best other owners could hope for would be mandated 430 starts in Sept and 1st half of October. 

tents are allowed if the home team opts to use them 

the home team created structural shade to leave the visitors baking. It’s a silly line in the sand 

Pretty simple fix for the situation in September and October. The schedule maker schedules them with 4 home games those two months.

1. Thursday Night Football

2. Sunday Night Football

3. Monday Night Football

4. A Sunday 9:00 AM game... same time as the London games.

Then they can go away for the second half of the season.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

tents are allowed if the home team opts to use them 

the home team created structural shade to leave the visitors baking. It’s a silly line in the sand 

Then you take first few rows out,   What is that couple hundred seats gone.  TOO BAD,  DOLPHINS are becoming the new Patriots

Some of you know that I live in Miami. I also have Miami Hurricane season tickets. 

A couple of observations:

1) I recall that Dolphin games in September used to be mostly at 4:00 pm, night games, or on the road. Somewhere along the line, this changed - I think with Steve Ross who presumably wanted to create a more pronounced advantage. I got in a Twitter argument about this with Dolphin fans after they barely beat us earlier this season. I did some research and ended up taking a look at the Dolphins' schedule from 1970 through 1989.

Guess what? During that entire time, only 6.3% of Dolphin games before the last week of September were 1:00 pm home games. The rest (93.7%) were 4:00 pm games, night home games, or away games.

The easy solution is to make sure that early regular season Dolphin games should be later in the day or on the road.

2) When they reconfigured Hard Rock Stadium, I had the opportunity to choose between the following for my Hurricane season tickets:

a) 50 yard line in the lower bowl on the sunny side of the stadium (visitors' side - the side the Bills are on); or

b) 30 yard line seats in the lower bowl on the home side (Hurricanes and Dolphins side of Hard Rock Stadium)

Guess which side I chose . . . .

30 yard line on the home side. The sunny/vistors' side is miserable in September - even wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the stands. I cannot imagine playing in pads - let alone being a 300 pound+ linemen playing with pads.

One day, there is going to be a Korey Stringer type of event at that stadium (heat stroke or death). The NFL will have no one but themselves to blame.

P.S. This has little to do with winning or losing the game earlier this year. In fact, Dolphin players were having issues in the heat as well as Bills players from South Florida. This has everything to do with player safety. It is so unnecessary and can be easily resolved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.