Allen is liking the left side of the field and other interesting charts

Einstein

Some interesting charts and metrics I found while perusing the interconnected network of web servers world wide.

qb-grid-chart-ALL529264-2022-REG-all-166

Gabe Davis chart for Week 5 could be summed as "Go Long - Score Touchdowns"

route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-5_1665346

While Stefon Diggs chart could be summed up as "Go everywhere - Do every thing".

route-chart_DIG218895_2022-REG-5_1665346

Moving over to PFF, Dawkins is leading the way in pass blocking, though all of our linemen have respectable pass blocking grades! From what I can tell, a 60 to 65 grade is about average (someone please correct me if i'm wrong).

p-block.png

Things get a bit dicey in run blocking, though Knox shows his worth in the run game.

r-block.png

You have to scroll down a bit further to get to the majority of the starting linemen, as their run grades are poor.

Spencer Brown is the highest graded Bills linemen run blocker. When you look at all run-blockers in the NFL, he is the 196th.

r-block2.png

Lastly, here are the coverage grades for our top-20 defenders.

coverage.png

Go Bills!

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 12

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I would think most right-handed QBs naturally favor the left side, no?

you would think so, easier to rotate your hips naturally that way vs opening (adjusting his feet and rotating), then closing them when throwing to the right.

Similar to how he's thrown a few bad passes to the right side to McKenzie vs Dolphins, Diggs vs Steelers and I think another time also.

Edited by The Wiz

Good stuff.  Another example of Josh identifying a weakness (throwing left) and turning it into a strength.

The kid really is unbelievable.  The talent, work ethic, intelligence, charisma.  Damn.  We are so friggin’ lucky I often have to pinch myself.

• Like (+1) 3

Didn’t Saffold have a reputation for being a much better run blocker than pass blocker? What’s the issue here?

We need 2 new OGs badly. Unless the plan is to move Bates back to LG next year once Saffold is gone.

Edited by Bangarang

Defenses are making a concerted effort to keep him from getting outside the pocket to his right, where he's absolutely deadly.

During games, watch how LDE's are playing a contain game and not getting too far upfield.

Allen has handled their adjustment like a pro.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, DJB said:

Thanks to PFF I now know that Bobby Hart is our 2nd best OL 😳

Checks out with what I saw in preseason.

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Siran registered 4 (four!) passes defensed v the Steelers 

He was manned up on Claypool, who is a poor route runner. Neal can match up to Chase physically since he will round his cuts and doesn't separate.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Defenses are making a concerted effort to keep him from getting outside the pocket to his right, where he's absolutely deadly.

During games, watch how LDE's are playing a contain game and not getting too far upfield.

Looks like the adjustment to the soft rushes from DL's, who are getting the arms up and batting passes down, is to just throw it really really far instead.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Looks like the adjustment to the soft rushes from DL's, who are getting the arms up and batting passes down, is to just throw it really really far instead.

Yeah, if they're going to play that game then they can deal with what happens when he has an extra second to let routes develop.

Y'all have fun covering 30,000 sq ft of field for 4 1/2 seconds. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Some interesting charts and metrics I found while perusing the interconnected network of web servers world wide.

While Stefon Diggs chart could be summed up as "Go everywhere - Do every thing".

Moving over to PFF, Dawkins is leading the way in pass blocking, though all of our linemen have respectable pass blocking grades! From what I can tell, a 60 to 65 grade is about average (someone please correct me if i'm wrong).

p-block.png

Things get a bit dicey in run blocking, though Knox shows his worth in the run game.

r-block.png

You have to scroll down a bit further to get to the majority of the starting linemen, as their run grades are poor.

Spencer Brown is the highest graded Bills linemen run blocker. When you look at all run-blockers in the NFL, he is the 196th.

r-block2.png

coverage.png

Go Bills!

Damn Diggs goes all over the place.

As I have said for a very long time... we dont need some star running back.  We need an Oline that can run block.  Our line is terrible at run blocking.  They are good at pass blocking outside of some plays here and there where there is a complete whif.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Has he been that bad?  I haven’t noticed.  Which I thought was a good thing…

He hasn't exactly been spectacular. He's wiffed on some stuff and been flat out beaten on other reps. As it stands right now tho, he and Dawkins are their most consistent OL.

Others have mentioned him but I really wonder what's up with Daryl Williams. I'd say he and Saffold are about even yet Williams is still a free agent. I wonder if there are injury issues we don't know about or something. OL play across the league is always poopy to start the season so you'd think an experienced and versatile guy like Williams would get picked up somewhere but as far as I've seen he's still unsigned. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Others have mentioned him but I really wonder what's up with Daryl Williams. I'd say he and Saffold are about even yet Williams is still a free agent. I wonder if there are injury issues we don't know about or something. OL play across the league is always poopy to start the season so you'd think an experienced and versatile guy like Williams would get picked up somewhere but as far as I've seen he's still unsigned. 

Williams retired

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-tackle-daryl-williams-retires/

Now that's not saying he wouldn't un-retire if someone piled up the right number of dollars, but he's apparently not stumping for a gig

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

you would think so, easier to rotate your hips naturally that way vs opening (adjusting his feet and rotating), then closing them when throwing to the right.

Yes.  It's also why people have said for years that Allen is more effective scrambling right than left.  And that's what it is incredible about Mahomes.  Because of his almost endless throwing motion variations, he can scramble left and throw right with accuracy.  

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Go Bills!

Remember all the angst about Tyrod Taylor not throwing effectively in that middle zone?  People were obsessed with Tyrod killing the Bills because his numbers over the middle were low.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Remember all the angst about Tyrod Taylor not throwing effectively in that middle zone?  People were obsessed with Tyrod killing the Bills because his numbers over the middle were low.

For Tyrod, it wasn't the whole middle. He hit the short middle just fine. It was the intermediate and long middle.

More, I believe Next Gen divides up those three zones at the hashes. Which means there are generally small sample numbers in the intermediate and long areas between the hashes.

It looked to me like Tyrod's weak performance in the intermediate and long areas when far further towards the sidelines than the hashes. So I went one year and divided the field in equal thirds and charted it. Tyrod was really very good from the numbers out, and just a couple of yards inside them. But basically in the middle half of the field, a bit more, really, Tyrod was quite weak at intermediate and long distances.

I could do the same to Josh, but I won't, because he doesn't look weak anywhere special to me. I like NextGen, but their middle of the field numbers are often very small because the targets there are often so low beyond 20 yards and between the hashes. It's not a large part of the field. Just looking quickly at all five of Josh's games on NextGen, Allen has only thrown two passes there. Not a large sample.

There is a very real trend that Josh's passing toward the right is sometimes (certainly not always) not as good as when he's throwing to the left.  He missed two wide open receivers in the end zone toward the right against Pittsburgh, and if he'd hit McKenzie on a pass toward the right on the last play against Miami the Bills would be undefeated.  

I view this as just something for Allen to improve.

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Siran registered 4 (four!) passes defensed v the Steelers 

It might have been my favorite storyline of the game. Siran Neal comes off the bench just to play out the clock and casually shuts down all of his targets in coverage while clearly enjoying every second of it. He was so pissed when he dropped that interception. I love seeing that fire from a guy that almost never sees the field on defense and was playing on completely meaningless drives.

5 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I've seen several people point out that deep opportunities were there against the Ravens and Allen didn't even look at them. Clearly it was a point of emphasis in the week leading up to the Steelers - forget trying to beat their cover 2 safeties with quick short passes, just throw it over their heads.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

p-block.png

r-block.png

r-block2.png

coverage.png

Go Bills!

That Diggs out an up route was nasty and he had Wallace beat by 5 yards and would've been a 67 yard td but Allen checked down to Q Morris for 26. 

He also missed Diggs on the in an out for a 20 yard td Diggs had Wallace turned around 

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Williams retired

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-tackle-daryl-williams-retires/

Now that's not saying he wouldn't un-retire if someone piled up the right number of dollars, but he's apparently not stumping for a gig

I really liked D Will

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

For Tyrod, it wasn't the whole middle. He hit the short middle just fine. It was the intermediate and long middle.

More, I believe Next Gen divides up those three zones at the hashes. Which means there are generally small sample numbers in the intermediate and long areas between the hashes.

It looked to me like Tyrod's weak performance in the intermediate and long areas when far further towards the sidelines than the hashes. So I went one year and divided the field in equal thirds and charted it. Tyrod was really very good from the numbers out, and just a couple of yards inside them. But basically in the middle half of the field, a bit more, really, Tyrod was quite weak at intermediate and long distances.

I could do the same to Josh, but I won't, because he doesn't look weak anywhere special to me. I like NextGen, but their middle of the field numbers are often very small because the targets there are often so low beyond 20 yards and between the hashes. It's not a large part of the field. Just looking quickly at all five of Josh's games on NextGen, Allen has only thrown two passes there. Not a large sample.

Thanks for this.  Interesting that NexGen takes that approach.  It makes their numbers not very useful.  

I too am not worried about Josh's "problem" in the middle.  

12 hours ago, Simon said:

My thoughts exactly.

The last few years, whenever Allen broke the pocket and rolled right, it almost always meant a big passing play downfield.

This year, teams are clearly making an effort to keep him from rolling that way.  

It is making absolutely no difference, and Allen is actually having the best start of his career.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen several people point out that deep opportunities were there against the Ravens and Allen didn't even look at them. Clearly it was a point of emphasis in the week leading up to the Steelers - forget trying to beat their cover 2 safeties with quick short passes, just throw it over their heads.

Rain and wind will do that a bit & pressure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.