Bills eyeing Gilmore…Hmmmm 🤔

Scorp83

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Be professional and not a WLB.  

But Gilmore has never played weak-side linebacker... you're wrong!

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It was a fait accompli. 

"This is a public service message from The Stadium Wall. When tempted to use the phrase 'fait accompli" consider using an IQ-challenged equivalent such as "foregone conclusion." In topics which attract an especially stupid group of participants "done deal" is the best option.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I’m not really a fan of his, but if the coaching staff thinks he’d help the team and he wants to help the cause, I’ll take him back.

Does the coaching staff run all of their personnel decisons by you for final approval?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Hello all…haven’t posted in while. But this just popped up on my phone & I’m curious on what the fans think about Gilmore coming back here???

Me personally, I wouldn’t really like it being how he left us…I feel like he don’t deserve to be part of our special team hahahaha 

like don’t come back now after we became great. 

(I was trying to post my screenshot but the website won’t let me) 

E443A9CC-1321-4E7F-A37D-80AC9E93FD6F.jpeg

I'm sure they'd love to get him. 

I have drastic doubt they can afford him. Totally makes sense to kick the tires, though.

People saying no get too caught up in the in the business of football.  He left for more money and a chance to win a superbowl.  Back then the team was trash and Mcdermott changed it to what it is now.  He is a very good cb still.  That would be a massive upgrade over Wallace.  Having a bigger guy to play TEs and larger wrs would make the defense much better.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

its called Burning Bridges

Be professional and not a WLB.  

May have burned some fans bridges, but picking a higher contract isn't burning any bridges for team personnel.

Nor is saying nice things about your new team once you get there. This irritated fans, but wasn't even a pea under 100 mattresses for the FO. Price and fit would be much much much bigger factors.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

If the Bills wanted to sign Gilmore they most certainly would have given him every bit of the same deal he got with the Patriots or even more. My point being money was not an issue. Gilmore wanted nothing to do with the Bills and it was obvious during his time here.

Money absolutely was an issue. The Bills were in poor cap shape at the start of a rebuild. That was something they spent two seasons digging their way out of. Money was a huge issue for the Bills at that time.

25 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m fairly certain McCoy has since come out and said it was a absolute sh** show under Rex as well. 

Imagine if your pay check and professional success hung on Rex

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Money absolutely was an issue. The Bills were in poor cap shape at the start of a rebuild. That was something they spent two seasons digging their way out of. Money was a huge issue for the Bills at that time.

Overstated. and much of the first 2 years dead space was self inflicted. 

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

True enough, but this version of the Bills isn’t the sh-t show of an organization that had no real plan for how to win and be competitive in those days. It is a good deal different now with the current FO, coaching staff, and players, I would think a player like Gilmore would see this as an opportunity to get another ring and toot his own horn at the same time. Not that I’m gonna hold my breath on the outcome of this rumor…, 😁👍

BINGO

Rumor.  Just like the Gronk rumors. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Wouldn't like to have Rexy as a coach.

But no, the money issue was understated, if anything.

The dead space was the result of the need to free up cap space as quickly as possible, not the cause. Whaley had a middle-of-the-road roster without a QB and yet their cap situation looked like a team near the end of a Super Bowl window.

They even had a chance to put post June 1st designations on a couple of their later cuts and they didn't. They wanted to take all the cap pain that year that year so they'd have cleared the cap superbly in just two seasons.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He wasn’t overrated. He was underrated by this fan base. He may have wanted out but if he wants to come back it would be a quality signing

Absolutely bring him back. Who cares about the past! Live in the here and now!

16 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

"This is a public service message from The Stadium Wall. When tempted to use the phrase 'fait accompli" consider using an IQ-challenged equivalent such as "foregone conclusion." In topics which attract an especially stupid group of participants "done deal" is the best option.

Thank you.

Mea culpa.

• Haha (+1) 3

Gilmore was an excellent cover CB while he was in Buffalo, but he didn't tackle worth a damn.  I always figured he was trying not to get injured so he could play long enough to cash in on a big contract, and really who can blame him for that?  The fact that he left the Bills for a big contract elsewhere is just business.  The fact that he left the Bills to go THERE is harder to swallow.

On today's Bills team, he wouldn't fit in, because everyone is supposed to tackle well.  (Insert Tremaine Edmunds comment here.)  But if the Bills thought they could compensate for that, he'd be a lot better than other options.  The price, though, is probably not within reach considering the Bills have already checked under the sofa cushions and returned all their pop bottles for change, and they're about out of cash at this point.

23 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Gilmore absolutely quit on this team and this city in that Thursday night game against the jets where he got absolutely torched.

I remember it being an Xmas weekend game vs MIA where he refused to make tackles but yeah he sure looked like a guy that had checked out. 

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Gilmore was an excellent cover CB while he was in Buffalo, but he didn't tackle worth a damn.  I always figured he was trying not to get injured so he could play long enough to cash in on a big contract, and really who can blame him for that?  The fact that he left the Bills for a big contract elsewhere is just business.  The fact that he left the Bills to go THERE is harder to swallow.

On today's Bills team, he wouldn't fit in, because everyone is supposed to tackle well.  (Insert Tremaine Edmunds comment here.)  But if the Bills thought they could compensate for that, he'd be a lot better than other options.  The price, though, is probably not within reach considering the Bills have already checked under the sofa cushions and returned all their pop bottles for change, and they're about out of cash at this point.

It's interesting that the Panthers, who traded for him mid-season and have the most cap space in the NFL, apparently are not trying to resign him. Especially since Gilmore is from the Charlotte area

This sounds it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Remember, Beane likes to be 'in' on every deal he can to gather information about who's going where at what price.. it's useful to know who *is* trying to sign him and how much they're giving him..

The end of his time here previously aside, he's been degrading each year. He'd be a depth guy at this point that I probably wouldn't want him starting games outside of injury fill-in. If I had a choice.. I'd currently take Levi Wallace at 4 million over Gilmour.. and I doubt Gilmour is looking at playing for 4 million.

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

It's interesting that the Panthers, who traded for him mid-season and have the most cap space in the NFL, apparently are not trying to resign him. Especially since Gilmore is from the Charlotte area

Fair enough, but their needs are very different than ours at this point.  The Panthers are very far from being a SB team, and they have a lot of other needs to address, to the point where an expensive, older CB is a luxury they can't afford.  It was pretty stupid of them to trade for Gilmore last season instead of conserving draft picks, but pretty stupid is how you get to be in their situation these days.

Just now, Utah John said:

Fair enough, but their needs are very different than ours at this point.  The Panthers are very far from being a SB team, and they have a lot of other needs to address, to the point where an expensive, older CB is a luxury they can't afford.  It was pretty stupid of them to trade for Gilmore last season instead of conserving draft picks, but pretty stupid is how you get to be in their situation these days.

They are definitely not a well run team, but there is a need opposite Donte Jackson at corner. From what I can tell down here with Carolina fans, they weren't overly impressed with his play last season.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We need to get beyond the “hurt feelings” and keep the eyes on the prize. The Super Bowl is all that matters!! Gilmore isn’t the player that he was but could be a valuable addition. 

That's the way I see it. He'd be a big improvement even if he isn't quite what he used to be.  As long as he is happy to play for what the Bills can afford. That's the part I don't see happening here.  I also have some concern about his fitting the culture, which in the case of the Bills is real, I believe. Not interested if there is a prima donna act involved.

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

No this website wouldn’t let me post my screenshot… sorry you misunderstood 😎

That make sense!  But attaching the link is even better, IMO so we can actually look at the article itself. Of course it if was from an App and not a website, that changes things.

Edited by The Dean

43 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

But Gilmore has never played weak-side linebacker... you're wrong!

Thank you.

Does the coaching staff run all of their personnel decisons by you for final approval?

Yes, that’s correct.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Addition by subtraction with Dareus.  Watkins and Darby were the only assets they had that were worth anything.  Waktins and Darby moves were what helped Buffalo draft Allen and Edmunds.  Yes, dead-cap is self inflicted but signing the players they moved on from too the contracts was the problem to begin with. 

L O L

There's some other wild-card teams. Buffalo Bills, they've been looking at some starting cornerback help. He played there as a rookie; maybe there's a reunion in the works potentially. But nothing really cooking right now.

The article is CLEARLY just a reporter pontificating on the Bills as a possible fit, given their needs, and even flat out says there seems to be nothing there. Meanwhile, Bleacher Report takes that and runs a totally misleading headline that gets everyone all hyped up.

Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Well there you have it.

The wife has spoken.

That’s that.

The real question is why would you even let him come back.

He didnt want to be here when the team drafted him

He is pretty much dead to me.

If we did sign him I wouldnt like it.  Not a process guy.   Give me a Joe Haden Xavier Rhodes type

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He wasn’t overrated. He was underrated by this fan base. He may have wanted out but if he wants to come back it would be a quality signing

I thought he was a terrible tackler and pointed at others in the secondary instead of chasing a WR when he blew coverage?  

I could be thinking of someone else.  

That said we need a vet corner and if they get him I won’t be upset.  Would prefer Hayden if he is still available.  

2 minutes ago, damj said:

Ok ... as long as he's not a cancer

What about if he's not a cancer, but a canker?

For the record, I'd take Haden in a heartbeat if he has anything left. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.