Shout out to Overdorf

oldmanfan

Back in the day many criticized Overdorf when we didn’t keep guys or sign FAs.  But I always believed he was just carrying out what the cheap SOB Littman wanted.  But Overdorf as the cap guy (along with Beane of course) now has really done a heckuva job this offseason.  Props to him.

• Like (+1) 23
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Clyde Smith said:

I didn't know he was still here? Good job nonetheless.

He is here but Beane is a “cap guy” as in that is the meat of his FO background. So he works for Beane, but Beane is likely very involved. In the past for example a GM like Whaley, who came up the ranks with a heavy pro scouting background , overdorf really had a lot more to do with the cap because that’s his role and Whaley had to lean on him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Back in the day many criticized Overdorf when we didn’t keep guys or sign FAs.  But I always believed he was just carrying out what the cheap SOB Littman wanted.  But Overdorf as the cap guy (along with Beane of course) now has really done a heckuva job this offseason.  Props to him.

He’s probably good but the difference between this administration and past one is that Beane and company seem to understand the salary cap.  Whaley was especially clueless.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is here but Beane is a “cap guy” as in that is the meat of his FO background. So he works for Beane, but Beane is likely very involved. In the past for example a GM like Whaley, who came up the ranks with a heavy pro scouting background , overdorf really had a lot more to do with the cap because that’s his role and Whaley had to lean on him. 

I would argue though that Whaley didn’t really understand the salary cap.  The Bills were always in a pretty bad cap situation, without having to pay a QB

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He’s probably good but the difference between this administration and past one is that Beane and company seem to understand the salary cap.  Whaley was especially clueless.

I would argue though that Whaley didn’t really understand the salary cap.  The Bills were always in a pretty bad cap situation, without having to pay a QB

That’s not arguing  - that’s exactly what I’m saying. Whaley didn’t know the cap stuff and leaned on overdorf for that stuff.  Beane does, that’s his area of expertise, and overdorf just works for him in that space.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

its been pretty simple manipulations 

we just aren’t used to seeing them 

15 minutes ago, White Linen said:

The Pegula's are letting him and Beane spend. 

With a salary cap,what do you mean "letting him and Beane spend"? Are you referring to paying bonuses up- front? It's the same amount of money  overall. That can get you into a bad cap situation but  Beane is keeping it under cmder control.

42 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Funny how you think it was Littman. 

Unless Ralph Wilson's alias was Littman you are wrong.

poor Whaley was mentored by good ole Buddy Nix, who didnt get the NFL transformation to the passing game was key...and if Whaley did,...the two #1 traded for Watkins and the selection of EJ Manuel in the first round,  each by themselves are just cause for terminatiion...

Edited by First Round Bust

Our cap issues in the past were 2 fold -

1) We had the edict "cash to the cap", which is to say we were NOT spending up to the cap, ie Ralph is cheap

2) We saddled ourselves w/ burdensome contracts.  That isn't so much a cap issue, but rather a talent assessment problem.  ie we were giving lots of $ to people that didn't live up to their contracts.

Related to #2 - I've noticed that we now have a few contracts that are "burdensome" (Allen, White, Miller & I think a few more).  Hopefully, these guys continue to live up to their contracts; if they don't we'll be in trouble in the next few yrs.

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

I have always felt that, when Ralph was getting older, it was Littman who screwed things up.  He had a small percentage ownership stake so he wanted to save $$.

6 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Related to #2 - I've noticed that we now have a few contracts that are "burdensome" (Allen, White, Miller & I think a few more).  Hopefully, these guys continue to live up to their contracts; if they don't we'll be in trouble in the next few yrs.

Burdensome contracts for a franchise QB who’s top 3 in the league, an all pro corner and a HOF DE on a 3 year deal. Seriously, you can’t beat a Super Bowl contender without a few superstars and you have to pay them. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Georgie said:

With a salary cap,what do you mean "letting him and Beane spend"? Are you referring to paying bonuses up- front? It's the same amount of money  overall. That can get you into a bad cap situation but  Beane is keeping it under cmder control.

What that means is they are paying out more cash. It doesn’t get you into a bad cap situation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Good thing we didn't clean house like everyone wanted.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think it was pretty well known back then that Littman was very influential with Wilson on how to spend, it rarely worked out well.

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

Ralph was a "cash to the cap" owner.  Restructuring allows for the base salary to be lowered and the player gets money up front that's amortized over the remaining length of the contract.  Pegula's are willing to allow that, Ralph wouldn't. 

33 minutes ago, boater said:

Was it Overdorf or Littman the problem?

Depends on which problem.  Overdorf was responsible making sure Bills were covered putting clauses in contact if players did something crazy like drag racing on county streets.  Lots of agents pulled wool over his eyes.

The tricks used to stay under the salary cap often involve more money going out early on, with that upfront payment counting toward all the years of the contract.  Millions of dollars of future salaries get converted to bonuses that get paid NOW.  Doing that requires the Pegulas to approve large payments, well above the salary cap in most years.  I've never seen any indication that Beane's hands are tied -- the Pegulas are letting him spend spend spend if that's what it takes.

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Fair enough.  It does look like they're pulling out every tool in the 🧰 this year, and we don't look TOO terrible for future years. 

They will get choked when they have to pay Diggs, Knox, Edmunds and Oliver.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah, but I think Littman was just doing what RW instructed him to do.

5 minutes ago, eee1776 said:

Speaking of cap, is there anything they can do with Edmonds cap at 12 mil plus?

It's a fifth year option. Unless they trade him, there's nothing you can do with that, I'm pretty sure.

18 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Ralph was cheap.

Ralph wasn't perfect as few of us are. There's several things that I can point to as weaknesses with him and his ownership of the club. That said there are so many more positives than those. I don't think the AFL would have survived without him and there would be no Buffalo Bills today. I for one am grateful to Ralph and now the Pegula's for keeping this team in Buffalo and resisting the pressure to leave for a larger market.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.