AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - now signed by Bills

YoloinOhio

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

We're not likely to find out who Ryan Talbot's source is, but Ryan himself is a good/reliable enough source for me:

I'm not sure Ryan Talbot is that reliable as a source.  Who are his sources?

The Bills DL is looking kind of crowded -

DE - Miller, Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham

DT - Lotulelei, Jones, Oliver, Settle

We have some developmental guys and we should consider picking up another 1TDT if we want to move on from Lotulelei - but Jordan Phillips is NOT a 1TDT

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We have some developmental guys and we should consider picking up another 1TDT if we want to move on from Lotulelei - but Jordan Phillips is NOT a 1TDT

For what it's worth, I just listened to the Cover 1 Youtube show, and Aaron Quinn mentioned that he hears from the Buffalo News that the team is working on the contract with Phillips as we speak.

I know, I know...a lot of "sources of sources" and "I'm hearing...." right now, but it's all we've got.

As you yourself pointed out to me, the Bills rostered 5 DTs last season. Perhaps they plan to do so again this season. 

Also, perhaps they feel that Settle and Phillips are diverse enough at their size  -- each around 325 lbs -- to play some 1T in spots.

I'd bet we'll know soon enough whether the Phillips stuff is true.

And as to the defensive end position...as crowded as it looks now, I have a feeling the Bills are going to try to bring back either Hughes or Addison. Again, time should tell pretty quickly whether that's the case.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

For what it's worth, I just listened to the Cover 1 Youtube show, and Aaron Quinn mentioned that he hears from the Buffalo News that the team is working on the contract with Phillips as we speak.

I know, I know...a lot of "sources of sources" and "I'm hearing...." right now, but it's all we've got.

As you yourself pointed out to me, the Bills rostered 5 DTs last season. Perhaps they plan to do so again this season. 

Also, perhaps they feel that Settle and Phillips are diverse enough at their size  -- each around 325 lbs -- to play some 1T in spots.

And as to the defensive end position...as crowded as it looks now, I have a feeling the Bills are going to try to bring back either Hughes or Addison. Again, time should tell pretty quickly whether that's the case.

I'm kind of "ugh" at both ideas (Phillips re-signing AND Hughes or Addison.

I felt last year we had too many bodies at DE and DT and it led to overthinking "gee who are the best matchups this week?" instead of just putting the best players out there.  I also feel with the older players, we need to bring in young guys.

Jordan Phillips looks like he ought to be a 1TDT, but the experiment was tried when he was here before.  Thinking Phillips could play some 1T would be a Bad Plan.

Settle is said to be able to play 1TDT.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Well said;

our defense is predicated/ designed on interior pressure so our DE’s can clean up.  Phillips presents more interior pressure & strength moving opposing QB’s off their mark or line of sight & opening up opportunities for our DE’s 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not crowded. Hell, we have room to add to it.

Last season, we carried SIX DE's. Right now we have 4. Epenesa has shown little to nothing in his first 2 seasons. Basham was a healthy scratch for most of the season with the coaches viewing him as bottom of the DE depth chart. They will be rotational pieces and honestly, that's where they belong right now.

Last season we carried 5 DT's. Right now we're carrying 4. Phillips isn't a 1T. But Settle and Jones are. Phillips will rotate with Oliver. Settle and Jones will rotate with each other. And Lotulelei may be a post 6/1 cut.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Last season, we carried SIX DE's. Right now we have 4. Epenesa has shown little to nothing in his first 2 seasons. Basham was a healthy scratch for most of the season with the coaches viewing him as bottom of the DE depth chart. They will be rotational pieces and honestly, that's where they belong right now.

Last season we carried 5 DT's. Right now we're carrying 4. Phillips isn't a 1T. But Settle and Jones are. Phillips will rotate with Oliver. Settle and Jones will rotate with each other. And Lotulelei may be a post 6/1 cut.

It's not just the numbers, but the roles each can fulfill.  I think Settle is more a 3T guy though he can play 1T.   I think it would be a mistake to slot him in for major reps there.

You're correct about the numbers we carried last year.  I've posted elsewhere why I think that was a problem so I'll give it a rest here.

• Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just the numbers, but the roles each can fulfill.  I think Settle is more a 3T guy though he can play 1T.   I think it would be a mistake to slot him in for major reps there.

You're correct about the numbers we carried last year.  I've posted elsewhere why I think that was a problem so I'll give it a rest here.

But even if you thought 11 was a lot - 8, which is what we'll be at after adding Phillips and most likely losing Lotulelei, is the absolute minimum.

I don't think we cut star, we're already paying him so we might as well trot him out there to be Jones' backup. It also doesn't hurt to have 3 different 3 techs who can also play 1 tech at times. You throw Settle/Philips out there next to Oliver and the D doesn't know which of the 2 is doing what.

33 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Maybe they’ll flip Epenesa for a player/draft pick. Stranger things have happened. Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Shepard, for instance.

Edited by jlgarsh

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we do move on from Lotulelei he absolutely must be replaced somehow.  You can't have 3 - 3T and 1 - 1T

Everything I've been reading says Settle plays 1T. He has the versatility to play both. I think listing him as a strictly 3T is incorrect. Having a 1T in Jones and a guy who has played both is more than we've had in previous years at the position.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm kind of "ugh" at both ideas (Phillips re-signing AND Hughes or Addison.

I felt last year we had too many bodies at DE and DT and it led to overthinking "gee who are the best matchups this week?" instead of just putting the best players out there.  I also feel with the older players, we need to bring in young guys.

Jordan Phillips looks like he ought to be a 1TDT, but the experiment was tried when he was here before.  Thinking Phillips could play some 1T would be a Bad Plan.

Settle is said to be able to play 1TDT.

Not a fan of the rotation. Identify your best 4 and play them 65-70%.  The depth will give the starters a blow. Which Phillips do we get. Contract year guy or paid and unmotivated guy? I'm kinda excited to see Settle by Ed. Say goodbye to Star.

My guess, this contract won't be signed until June 1st.  They will agree and then cut Star, with Post-June 1st designation.  

Phillips is the perfect guy to do this with.  He wants to be here so will have zero issues waiting till June 1st to get his money.

• Agree 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - now signed by Bills
1 minute ago, 17islongenough said:

So odd he was signed so quick.  I wonder if he was given permission to seek a team out while still on the Cards

It was weird, news came out he was cut and Jordan Phillips was like "Alright, I'm going home."

Edited by Warcodered

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.