Cousins agrees to 1 year extension with Minny

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't understand the Cousins hate.  

He's in the next tier of QBs below the elite ones.  I'd take him over Derek Carr any day.

I think Carr is better, but either way you're never going to win anything with either of those guys. Why keep giving them big money?

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's in the next tier of QBs below the elite ones.  I'd take him over Derek Carr any day.

I got him somewhere around Tier 5 or so. My tiers below are not exact but you must have like 10 QB's in your elite tier?

Tier 1:

Allen

Mahomes

Rodgers

Tier 2:

Herbert

Wilson

Brady

Burrow

Tier 3:

Jackson

Murray

Tier 4:

Stafford

Dak

Tier 5:

Carr

Cousins

Ryan

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I got him somewhere around Tier 5 or so. My tiers below are not exact but you must have like 10 QB's in your elite tier?

Tier 1:

Allen

Mahomes

Rodgers

Tier 2:

Herbert

Wilson

Brady

Burrow

Tier 3:

Jackson

Murray

Tier 4:

Stafford

Dak

Tier 5:

Carr

Cousins

Ryan

For starters, Wilson and Brady are definitely tier 1.  Watson would be as well.  Lamar is in the fringe tier with Stafford, Herbert and Burrow.  Then comes Dak, Cousins and everyone else.  

Mine is far from exact, but I can see it in my head, if that makes sense?

Lumping Stafford with Dak after the Super Bowl victory is disrespectful.  Dak has had some talented rosters that he's done nothing with. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Tier 1:

Allen

Mahomes

Rodgers

Tier 2:

Herbert

Wilson

Brady

Burrow

Tier 3:

Jackson

Murray

Tier 4:

Stafford

Dak

Tier 5:

Carr

Cousins

Ryan

Hard to argue with this 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It kills me how guys like Cousins and Prescott are making elite QB money when both are average at best

Leverage,fear, and timimg.

Dak is not top 5 but he is probably the best of the not truly elite QBs. Yes he is overpaid but he is still much better than Cousins, Tannyhill, and Carr.

6 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

An elite moneymaking qb. And so average actual qb. Way to play the suckers though

I guess.

Classic underachiever, and you’re correct, average QB, he and Dak have totally duped the owners and GMs of their teams, in one’s case it’s the same guy…😁

10 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Captain Kirk is the master of making that $$$$

He has them so trapped and ensnared.

I really liked him with the Skins and thought he'd be a franchise guy somewhere. He is, I think, but the contract he got them to sign, with all the guarantees, left them all in on him from instant one. They've no real way out. At some point, someone will have to bite the bullet on getting rid of him, but if this GM does, he's completely admitting Cousins fleeced him.

Glad I'm not a Vikes fan.

11 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Cousins is the definition of a “system” QB who will simply not go off script or off schedule, which means he is a fine QB during quarters 1-3 but when you need your QB to make things happen he fails miserably.  Coaches likely love him because they know he will follow the play call religiously.

He has as much said it himself.  It’s not worth it to him to take any real chances with the ball.

As a fan I never want that guy in the most important position in football.

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Cousins is the definition of a “system” QB who will simply not go off script or off schedule, which means he is a fine QB during quarters 1-3 but when you need your QB to make things happen he fails miserably.  Coaches likely love him because they know he will follow the play call religiously.

He has as much said it himself.  It’s not worth it to him to take any real chances with the ball.

In the 4th Q, he has thrown more TDs and passed for more yards than any other Q. He has more TD passes when trailing than when ahead or tied combined.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the 4th Q, he has thrown more TDs and passed for more yards than any other Q. He has more TD passes when trailing than when ahead or tied combined.

Great example of how stats are misleading.

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why give up a top 10 QB for a journeyman scrub?

Because other factors in the deal might fall into place better.

There are a lot of other factors. Money, guaranteed money, whether or not they are rebuilding, length of contract, which guy would be easier/harder to trade and which would bring in more trade capital if they're going to draft a QB next year. On and on, really.

You're certainly right that Cousins is better, but most decisions are a lot more complex than that.

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doesn't that just show that his team is more often behind than most others?

So I also think Kirk gets too much hate. And I think Bills fans have suddenly got very snobby about good Quarterback play because we have great Quarterback play. Kirk Cousin is by a distance better than any Quarterback not name Josh Allen that I have seen play for Buffalo (fan since 02). People who lump Kirk in with guys like Tyrod Taylor are utterly and totally wrong.

On whether this is a good deal for Minnesota it really depends what their plan is. I think they are about to have a mini-rebuild. My guess is that meand shedding a lot of other vets on big deals over the next two years while still trying to compete in the weaker conference. Kirk was there next year anyway, and there is no alternative in this weak QB draft class. One imagines they will try and draft one next spring, sit him behind Kirk Cousins and then let Kirk walk as a FA in 2024. I don't think that is a bad strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

He's not a world beater, but he isn't a bad QB either.  What was the alternative for Minnesota.  4,000 yard 30 TD QBs don't grow on trees.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's not a world beater, but he isn't a bad QB either.  What was the alternative for Minnesota.  4,000 yard 30 TD QBs don't grow on trees.

Yes, that's what is called "QB purgatory."  Not a bad QB but not one who's going to win you a Lombardi.  The Vikings are screwed.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Great example of how stats are misleading.

They don't mislead from the error of your post.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Because other factors in the deal might fall into place better.

There are a lot of other factors. Money, guaranteed money, whether or not they are rebuilding, length of contract, which guy would be easier/harder to trade and which would bring in more trade capital if they're going to draft a QB next year. On and on, really.

You're certainly right that Cousins is better, but most decisions are a lot more complex than that.

Doesn't that just show that his team is more often behind than most others?

It shows the other poster was incorrect.

Cousins doesn't play on very good teams.   In DC, he played on a team with awful Defenses.  Then in Minny, The Defense went from top 5 to awful--ranking in the bottom 5 the past 2 seasons.  That tends to put a QB in a hole.

25 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, that's what is called "QB purgatory."  Not a bad QB but not one who's going to win you a Lombardi.  The Vikings are screwed.

By that criteria so are the Packers.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Really?!?!? Wow, I'm hugely surprised by that.

What is your source?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thanks WEO. Unfortunately I'm not finding that in the link... I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I'm not seeing it. Are the facts you stated from when he entered the league 10 years ago or what is the time frame?

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Thanks WEO. Unfortunately I'm not finding that in the link... I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I'm not seeing it. Are the facts you stated from when he entered the league 10 years ago or what is the time frame?

it’s profootball reference.com.The authoritative NFL database

Those are career numbers

Edited by Mr. WEO

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it’s profootball reference.com.The authoritative NFL database

Those are career numbers

I've been going to Pro Football Reference for many years.

I'm not seeing where you the numbers you state are broken down or sortable by 4th quarters.

Don't worry about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.