Brandon Beane looking for speed ? Cardinals grant WR Andy Isabella permission to seek trade

HOUSE

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, he’s certainly fast enough! My main question is WHY he produced so little. I was curious about him coming out of college, and would have expected more. How are his routes? Hands? Coverage awareness? Or is he just fast? 

Same questions were asked about Zay Jones

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, he’s certainly fast enough! My main question is WHY he produced so little. I was curious about him coming out of college, and would have expected more. How are his routes? Hands? Coverage awareness? Or is he just fast? 

I was wondering the same thing.  We know he's fast.  Why isn't it working out in Arizona?  They have some good WRs on the roster - Hopkins, AJ Green, Kirk and some TEs that can catch the ball (including "former Buffalo Bill" Zach Ertz) - so maybe not enough balls to go around?  I'm not sure that would change much in Buffalo with Diggs, Davis, Knox and at least one of Beasley, McKenzie, and/or Sanders returning.

23 hours ago, julian said:

Don’t underestimate what #17 can do for a thirsty WR… Brown, Beasley and Diggs all had career years with Allen.

I’d feel great about a 5th or lower.

Sanders did slow but did get his first ever playoff TD from Josh.  Think Sanders will retire and I'm sure Buffalo is a preferred destination for many FA wrs, if there's a match between skill and compensation it'll be a FA.

With Josh spreading ball around easily even a talented rookie speedster could thrive.  Plus I'm sure the last 2 games of playoff tape he put out there is of a qb any top wr would wanna play with.  Any top wr will thrive with Allen and he's put the proof on full display.  If they held a vote today for next years pro bowl I could see Allen getting the most votes across players, coaches, gms and fans or being near the top amongst each groups vot getters.

• Agree 2

If we've thought about it, Beane has thought about it.  If he decides to make a deal, he will try and do it.  But if other teams (i.e., N.O.) are offering a pick in the same round, they'll probably get him.  Isabella may have some say in this.  He is very fast, though.  We like speed over here.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, Manther said:

They actually don't throw the ball much.  I think Kyler Murray and their offense handcuffs their WRs.  Add Deandre Hopkins and not many balls to go around.

I would give a 5th for him.  6th is probably and possibly enough.  He is better than we would get in the 6th round.

This draft is VERY deep, and Beane has been pretty successful with late round picks. There is NO WAY anyone gives up more than a 6th for him. If they do, it’s via a pick swap. Last year he didn’t do anything and D-Hop was out for a large chunk of the season, that alone is very telling. Add to it all that he hasn’t done much on special teams. We can’t just expect someone like him to come in and take other the slot role, so we’d still have to pick someone up who we atleast could count on in the slot. 

I just don’t understand why he had such a poor year last year when AZ needed someone to step up at WR. 

I don’t think they are going to  get him for a 7th or 6th as some have suggested here.  Several other teams are being mentioned already including Browns, Jets, and Saints.  That said, the possibility is still intriguing.  Could simply be a matter of poor fit and bad coaching from frat boy Kliff’s staff that is the problem.  Someone mentioned Murrays size as an issue as a joke but I would not discount that as an issue either. Superior coaching and a much better QB could possibly fix him.  Just conjecture  as I have not followed his career in AZ. 

On 3/2/2022 at 3:24 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

I would offer a 7th for him. He has intriguing speed, but he has never been productive in a pass-happy spread offense. He only has one year left in his rookie deal, so he doesn't have much trade value.

A 7th and no more. 

On 3/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, DCofNC said:

I’d flip a late rounder for him, you are drafting for potential there anyway, see if a6th gets it done.

Then why not draft a WR for potential? A guy that has one year remaining on his contract doesn't have a lot of value. Draft that speed guy and have him for 4 years.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, NoSaint said:

I enjoy your insights but this makes me think you may need a hobby if you considered the merits of Ford for Isabella unprompted 

Well, they are both 2019 second round draft busts who are going to be cut by their respective teams this off-season.  

Easy no for me

Arm length < 30"

Hand size < 8.375"

Catch rate <65%

Only 3 games with >3 catches in 17 appearances

No ST role.  Never did anything noticeable here in AZ or at UMass

Body catcher 

No rushing acumen in pro ball. 

• Vomit 1

On 3/5/2022 at 6:45 PM, Beerball said:

Then why not draft a WR for potential? A guy that has one year remaining on his contract doesn't have a lot of value. Draft that speed guy and have him for 4 years.

Not often you get a chance at 2nd round potential for a 6th round pick.  Not saying I wouldn’t take a flier pick, but this is a highly productive college player, who for whatever reason hasn’t worked out.  Maybe it’s been a matter of a bad fit, or maybe he sucks, I’d be willing to take a shot.

23 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Easy no for me

Arm length < 30"

Hand size < 8.375"

Catch rate <65%

Body catcher 

Umm he had a terrifically productive college career, over 100 catches and 1600 yards in his senior season alone. 

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Umm he had a terrifically productive college career, over 100 catches and 1600 yards in his senior season alone. 

Yes I do understand he had a great Sr Year at UMass.  But that was 4 years ago and against college (most of which were non big 5) level opponents.  

I simply noted his pro stats.  It appears that his limited catch radius, inability to get off press coverage and poor hands may have finally caught up to him.  His college success has not translated to the pros.

Lil Dirty as a Bill  has 3 times more catches, a higher catch rate and 10 Total TDs compared to Isabella's 3 in the last 3 years  And Lil Dirty provides options as a runner and returner that Isabella doesn't.  IMHO I would pass on trading for or signing Isabella  and just re-sign Lil Dirty and draft another speedy receiver.  

22 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

6 pages for a guy who has 31 career receptions.

Yep. 

Same type of hype as Brandon Reilly, David Sills, Austin Proehl etc who came before, extending back to Jordy Nelson who was actually good.  

Edit: I actually liked Sills' game. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

On 3/2/2022 at 1:08 PM, HOUSE said:

In 2018, he led the country in receiving yards per game (141.5) and was named to the 2018 College Football All-America Team. Isabella was Pro Football Focus's highest rated wide receiver in college football, posting a season grade of 93.2.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Isabella

Flashback to Zay Jones leading the nation in receiving.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Yes I do understand he had a great Sr Year at UMass.  But that was 4 years ago and against college (most of which were non big 5) level opponents.  

I simply noted his pro stats.  It appears that his limited catch radius, inability to get off press coverage and poor hands may have finally caught up to him.  His college success has not translated to the pros.

Lil Dirty as a Bill  has 3 times more catches, a higher catch rate and 10 Total TDs compared to Isabella's 3 in the last 3 years  And Lil Dirty provides options as a runner and returner that Isabella doesn't.  IMHO I would pass on trading for or signing Isabella  and just re-sign Lil Dirty and draft another speedy receiver.  

Well you specifically said he wasn’t noticeable at UMass.  I don’t see trading a late round pick for him as a change in any plans at all.  If he works out, cool, if not he’s gone after training camp.  They took a flier on another 1st round bust and paid him 3M for training camp, this would be less cost and who knows what you get.  I agree, I like lil Dirty, but does he want to deal with McClappy’s bull####? I don’t think so.

Edited by DCofNC

On 3/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, freddyjj said:

Easy no for me

Arm length < 30"

Hand size < 8.375"

Catch rate <65%

Body catcher 

His arms are clearly 31 inches , come on

image.png.ebc9e1720646b68aa27b6b221e7dc05b.png

image.png.08a387fcec7b7d03c6cbf26221a2e4ee.png

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:08 PM, HOUSE said:

In 2018, he led the country in receiving yards per game (141.5) and was named to the 2018 College Football All-America Team. Isabella was Pro Football Focus's highest rated wide receiver in college football, posting a season grade of 93.2.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Isabella

I was personally at the Senior Bowl practices he participated in. Same year as Deebo Samuels and Terry McClaurin…. Andy was probably the next best WR behind those 2 that week.

I remember thinking to myself his lower body looked strong. Definitely worth looking into

On 3/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, freddyjj said:

Easy no for me

Arm length < 30"

Hand size < 8.375"

Catch rate <65%

Body catcher 

Look Beasley was average at Dallas even with Dak, Look at Edelman and Walker away from Brady….

Murray is crap, Andy was never gonna be crap with him at QB throwing to Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk etc…. Andy doesn’t even fit that scheme.

I see this being a solid interest worth looking at. 

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Well you specifically said he wasn’t noticeable at UMass

On 3/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, freddyjj said:

Please note that I qualified he did nothing special on STs at UMass

10 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Look Beasley was average at Dallas even with Dak, Look at Edelman and Walker away from Brady….

Murray is crap, Andy was never gonna be crap with him at QB throwing to Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk etc…. Andy doesn’t even fit that scheme.

I see this being a solid interest worth looking at. 

He struggles to separate and also catch the ball.  He's not playing against New Hampshire anymore.  I only give him a chance if Beasley and Lil Dirty are both gone.  

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Not often you get a chance at 2nd round potential for a 6th round pick.  Not saying I wouldn’t take a flier pick, but this is a highly productive college player, who for whatever reason hasn’t worked out.  Maybe it’s been a matter of a bad fit, or maybe he sucks, I’d be willing to take a shot.

Quite often 2nd round picks bust dramatically and you can get them for peanuts. 

35 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Quite often 2nd round picks bust dramatically and you can get them for peanuts. 

2nd round busts are a tradition for the Bills.

The "OK, NOW we can fill a need here....and then get BPA's later" drafting in round 2 has been palpable............IMO it's a function of spending months fixating on the 1st round pick..........then the  emotions after the result are often followed by a loss of focus.

It's a common problem in situations where business deals are layered...........which is what the draft really is..........a series of business acquisitions..........and it's proven to be a problem from one Bills GM to the next.

Beane is not immune..........the Bills imbedded with Beane saying "we need a tackle" while scrambling up the board for Cody Ford was a jarring example of losing discipline and focus on the process.

The Bills track record with second round picks when they don't have a 1st rounder is MUCH better........Thurman Thomas, Sam Cowart, Roscoe Parrish, Ronald Darby and now AJ Epenesa.............that's 60% guys who played Pro Bowl or better type ball for the Bills and the jury is still out on Epenesa.

And I think that generally reflects a more measured approach made possible from "the event" being less emotionally charged at the top.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.