Bruce Smith discusses Josh Allen, McDermott, and the last 13 seconds of the Chiefs game

CorkScrewHill

16 minutes ago, Lost said:

Haha,  even Bruce Smith even blasts Edmunds for the Chiefs loss. 

I'm watching it now and he never even mentions Edmunds when discussing 13 seconds. Says we were out of position presnap. Makes it sounds more like the play called had us out of position...not any certain player not being in position. He does talk about the seam not being covered. However I'm pretty sure that was on the formation and not Edmunds being out of position. They were happy to let KC complete passes over the middle. Preventing sidelines and deep balls. 

Could you verify for me where he's blasting Edmunds? Not a huge Edmunds supporter myself but if I missed it I'd like to know.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm watching it now and he never even mentions Edmunds when discussing 13 seconds. Says we were out of position presnap. Makes it sounds more like the play called had us out of position...not any certain player not being in position. He does talk about the seam not being covered. However I'm pretty sure that was on the formation and not Edmunds being out of position. They were happy to let KC complete passes over the middle. Preventing sidelines and deep balls. 

Could you verify for me where he's blasting Edmunds? Not a huge Edmunds supporter myself but if I missed it I'd like to know.

Yeah I didn't hear anything on Edmunds either but he is correct, we were out of position pre-snap which is really inexcusable given we had timeouts & have an alleged defensive minded HC and a seasoned DC.

Bruce did a great job, very insightful.

• Like (+1) 9

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You're right.   I assumed Edmunds because that's usually his zone but on that particular play to Kelce that got them into FG range it was Milano that was playing underneath.  

• Like (+1) 3

Absolutely great interview.  Listen to it all. Of course he's not going to call out players or coaches by name. He knows the coaches screwed up. 3 critical play decisions that were made badly. All contributed to that historic loss. As others mentioned too bad you couldn't get him off the tees long enough to mentor AJE or Groot.  Wasting that legendary performance by Josh will never stop hurting. 

• Like (+1) 2

I still cannot believe we freaking lost that game. It's inexcusable! It robbed Allen of a legacy defining moment, robbed the team of a hard fought epic win, and robbed the fans of a home AFC Title game vs the Bengals. 

We just flat out GAVE them the yards. We didn't even challenge them.

Now, if we had pooched or squibbed and killed off 4-5 seconds first that D might have worked. The Chiefs almost didn't have time as it was. It was close. So having 4-5 seconds less makes it a different story. 

I think they had a squib/pooch called followed by this D, and when the kickoff cluster happened they just stuck with the D anyway, figuring it probably would still work. 

All this worry about a deep pass... IF the Chiefs went deep with 13 seconds it's the game right there. If it's anything but complete they would have 1 more play from their 25. Just dumb strategy. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I accidentally saw an all 22 from the endzone behind Mahomes and it looked to me like Milano got caught looking to the trips formation to the defensive left and missed the snap of the ball.  Thus, he was late to react to seam route by Kelce.  It's like they wanted them to throw the seam and Milano was supposed to buzz that route at the snap to either break it up or make the tackle without any YAC.  His eyes were in the wrong place and he got a slow start.  That's what I thought I saw but I can't watch any more at this time to confirm. Too much wallowing in disappointment and I have no stomach at present.  

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 3

That 1st down with 13 seconds left was the game. Don't let them get any meaningful yardage there and it's total desperation play time. 

I would have played it like a 4th down and 10. Defend the 35. Like I mentioned before, they are NOT going deep on you there. Too risky, because if it's incomplete it's game over. 

Their whole strategy would be get a quick hitter followed by some RAC. So it isn't like mid play they would adjust and suddenly run deep. It was drilled into them: get open quick, catch it, get what you can and get DOWN for the timeout. 

Your QB is expecting a quick hitter, and suddenly you are going to improvise and just run a go route? 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I still cannot believe we freaking lost that game. It's inexcusable! It robbed Allen of a legacy defining moment, robbed the team of a hard fought epic win, and robbed the fans of a home AFC Title game vs the Bengals. 

Now, if we had pooched or squibbed and killed off 4-5 seconds first that D might have worked. The Chiefs almost didn't have time as it was. It was close. So having 4-5 seconds less makes it a different story. 

I think they had a squib/pooch called followed by this D, and when the kickoff cluster happened they just stuck with the D anyway, figuring it probably would still work. 

All this worry about a deep pass... IF the Chiefs went deep with 13 seconds it's the game right there. If it's anything but complete they would have 1 more play from their 25. Just dumb strategy. 

Biggest obstacle to success in 2022 will be McDermott as it was in 2021

47 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I accidentally saw an all 22 from the endzone behind Mahomes and it looked to me like Milano got caught looking to the trips formation to the defensive left and missed the snap of the ball.  Thus, he was late to react to seam route by Kelce.  It's like they wanted them to throw the seam and Milano was supposed to buzz that route at the snap to either break it up or make the tackle without any YAC.  His eyes were in the wrong place and he got a slow start.  That's what I thought I saw but I can't watch any more at this time to confirm. Too much wallowing in disappointment and I have no stomach at present.  

What I remember is Wallace was lined up 12 yards off the ball and 3-4 yards wide of Kelce.  He had a safety over the top. No way should he have been positioned like that and then drop further only to let Kelce catch the ball right in front of him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Very good insights into what went wrong  (D pre-snap out of position) and what could have been done on the 13 seconds, the season (getting home-field advantage), etc.

It is long, but worth it.

That was a fantastic interview. What a well spoken and insightful gentlemen he is!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

...but he is correct, we were out of position pre-snap which is really inexcusable given we had timeouts & have an alleged defensive minded HC and a seasoned DC.

THAT's stil what bugs me the most. They took their timeouts yet still were not prepared. WTH

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I believe Mahomes looked him off . 

Bruce has a good take on it.

I recorded the game,  just haven’t had the stomach to review and break it down yet.  As i watched it live, i sorta had my hoodie tight over my head and was almost burying my face in disbelief.

Maybe after the Super Bowl i’ll be ready to watch those last couple minutes and pay attention to what the Bills were doing.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I accidentally saw an all 22 from the endzone behind Mahomes and it looked to me like Milano got caught looking to the trips formation to the defensive left and missed the snap of the ball.  Thus, he was late to react to seam route by Kelce. 

That's what I saw, also.

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah I didn't hear anything on Edmunds either but he is correct, we were out of position pre-snap which is really inexcusable given we had timeouts & have an alleged defensive minded HC and a seasoned DC.

Bruce did a great job, very insightful.

hindisght is always 20/20

He's a gentleman.  His points are clear.  He doesn't work for the Bills or sports media and therefore doesn't need to filter his thoughts. So refreshing to not be insulted with platitudes and non-statements.

Edited by In Summary

13 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The defensive strategy used was to protect the sidelines and push the receivers to the middle of the field so they couldn’t go out of bounds.  Of course, this didn’t make sense because the Chiefs had timeouts to use, which they did.  You can’t fault anyone for making a tackle but if Levi Wallace missed hitting Kelce’s foot and he went a few yards more (think Prescott for Dallas), the time may have run out.  I don’t believe you can call a timeout before the runner is ruled down.

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No he does not blast Edmunds.  The blasting of Edmunds is based on poster's own perception.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's nothing really to be said about the 13 seconds. It's completely inexcusable. 

I’m still having a hard time forgiving McMeathead for that blunder...I’ve been saying for years, that he has a low football IQ when it comes to in-game decision making...And now I will probably resent him until he wins a super bowl, unfortunately...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Lost said:

Haha,  even Bruce Smith even blasts Edmunds for the Chiefs loss. 

I’m sorry to learn of your hearing loss -and those who thumbed up your take. Are you aware of the marvelous advances being made in hearing aids?

Please look into this. You won’t be disappointed.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m sorry to learn of your hearing loss -and those who thumbed up your take. Are you aware of the marvelous advances being made in hearing aids?

Please look into this. You won’t be disappointed.

What?  Sorry, couldn't hear you

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, zow2 said:

Bruce has a good take on it.

I recorded the game,  just haven’t had the stomach to review and break it down yet.  As i watched it live, i sorta had my hoodie tight over my head and was almost burying my face in disbelief.

Maybe after the Super Bowl i’ll be ready to watch those last couple minutes and pay attention to what the Bills were doing.

I'll never rewatch it. I have all 4 Bills Super Bowl appearances on VHS tape and I never had the stomach to watch those either not a single time.

I should burn them in  ceremonial fire. With DVR its DELETE. I tape every Bills game off Sunday ticket.

m

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

I'll never rewatch it. I have all 4 Bills Super Bowl appearances on VHS tape and I never had the stomach to watch those either not a single time.

I should burn them in  ceremonial fire. With DVR its DELETE. I tape every Bills game off Sunday ticket.

m

I advise watching the final SB to halftime, declaring victory with a 13-6 win, and then getting the hell out. Like Vietnam. It works for me.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

For some reason, when McDermott took those timeouts, I thought he knew what he was doing...in retrospect, I guess he didn’t.

it was..in the end...my opinion only.....that the kicker never was told to squib. He didn't get the memo.  Kicker did what he did and McD isn't throwing a single person under the bus. Full Stop HIS responsibility

seems that they know Now that game time calls such as this in the crunch need VETTING Coach.

He's human. inperfect duh lol He'll learn from this u know that.

m

Edited by muppy

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I advise watching the final SB to halftime, declaring victory with a 13-6 win, and then getting the hell out. Like Vietnam. It works for me.

Lord have mercy enough with the 90's OMG I dont care if I ever her another reference to 4 time losers ever again..........thats a vent

I think ceremonial fire is genius I'll do it in pregame  of.......a future Bills game......say BILLS return to the SUPER BOWL....

fire those babies UP ..Burn Baby Burn!~!~!!!!

lol-m

Edited by muppy

1 minute ago, muppy said:

Lord have mercy enough with the 90's OMG I dont care if I ever her another reference to 4 time losers ever again..........thats a vent

I think ceremonial fire is genius I'll do it in pregame  of.......a future Bills game......say BILLS return to the SUPER BOWL....

fire those babies UP ..Burn Baby Burn!~!~!!!!

lol-m

Bruce was bang on,  the defence was out of position made it too easy.  It cost them the game and that falls on McDermott & Frazier,  they had plenty of options and choose the worse one.  Allow free releases off the line while rushing 4 guys,  was stupid coaching at the most critical time.  Bruce Smith is just saying what every person saw unless your some apologist with your head in the sand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.