Joe Brady for QB Coach? [Now Hired]

Rubes

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, hard to believe he couldn't get more out of Sam Darnold, Cam Newton, PJ Walker and Chubba Hubbard...

Anyway, I don't think Josh needs this guy at this point.  His QB Coach is now also his OC.  

He's not coming to Buffalo to teach QB mechanics.........he was a WR in college and the only other position coach he's been on offense anywhere is a WR coach.......never been a QB coach before..........he is likely there to add to the teams game planning/design,  helping Dorsey as the "passing game coordinator"...........and then being promoted if Dorsey becomes a HC or getting his pick of better OC jobs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen is very coachable and open to any ideas that improve his game.  Joe Brady is well known to the QB's & WR's of the NFL because of that amazing season at LSU. Allen will appreciate the insight Brady brings to the table and Brady will appreciate that he's lucked into coaching the NFL's most electrifying QB. There is ever reason to believe that these two will make magic together.

Why wouldn't Cincy bring him in?

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's not coming to Buffalo to teach QB mechanics.........he was a WR in college and the only other position coach he's been on offense anywhere is a WR coach.......never been a QB coach before..........he is likely there to add to the teams game planning/design,  helping Dorsey as the "passing game coordinator"...........and then being promoted if Dorsey becomes a HC or getting his pick of better OC jobs.

What would be a "better OC job" for Dorsey than the one he just got?

• Like (+1) 1

I find it weird that Brady has never played QB and has never been a QB coach, and this is the title we give him. It makes me think it's a title only and that his real role will be to help design the passing game. I imagine next year's offensive design will be a mix of Dorsey, Brady, and Allen's ideas without changing the fundamental system that Daboll ran. I'm still a little worried that Dorsey has no experience calling plays, but the collective knowledge and innovativeness on the offensive coaching staff makes me optimistic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What would be a "better OC job" for Dorsey than the one he just got?

Was referring to Brady maybe finding a better OC job than he felt was even available this "cycle"........... in the event that Dorsey were to remain in his position as Bills OC after 2022.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ken Dorsey IMO is going to get a Head coach job after next season if everything goes as planned. Bills need someone ready to take over in a year. This would fit the bill.

Only one year as a coordinator and on to head coaching? I hope he does (as that would likely mean we got to the promised land), but seems way premature to think he has a real shot at head coach after next season. Maybe I’m wrong..

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I find it weird that Brady has never played QB and has never been a QB coach, and this is the title we give him. It makes me think it's a title only and that his real role will be to help design the passing game. I imagine next year's offensive design will be a mix of Dorsey, Brady, and Allen's ideas without changing the fundamental system that Daboll ran. I'm still a little worried that Dorsey has no experience calling plays, but the collective knowledge and innovativeness on the offensive coaching staff makes me optimistic.

I agree with this assessment. I could care less what title he has as long as they collectively coordinate the offense without losing too much of Daboll's base scheme. If Dorsey moves on in a couple years, Brady will be ready to jump in.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Andy reid never played quarterback.. he was always an offensive line coach , until he got the chance to coach Brett favre and be his quarterback coach for 2 years 

Gets Donovan McNabb and he's suddenly a quarterback guru

But he never played or coached it until he got the chance

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

And it’s more than just calling plays.  Unless they keep the whole offensive playbook, it’s also designing plays.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And to be the guy that Josh leans on. The guy sitting next to Josh between series diagnosing what he has or hadn't seen and discussing adjustments. We know Josh likes that. It is why they have been so keen on Barkley and Trubisky too. Josh comes off the field he likes having sounding boards. I presume Dorsey will go up to the box. 

• Like (+1) 6

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree it would be a “get-right” move but I also feel like Dorsey might be one of those guys who could be a HC candidate next year if the offense looks great. Brady would be a good option to succeed him if so and would be familiar with the personnel. 

They better have a good 3 year, must stay, contract with Dorsey. Don't want him to leave after a year for continuity sake.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This is a MAJOR hire if it comes through.  A little nervous it hasn't been announced yet.

I'm sure Brady is still holding out that he may get an OC job.

I don't think he is getting an OC job in this cycle. Even with the Bears he was interviewing for QB coach. I know people loved what he did with LSU and that sticks in the mind but anyone who has really watched the Carolina offense in his reign there as OC will see an utter disaster of playcalling. He should have been fired after 1 season and was rightly fired halfway through his second. He needs a year or two in reputation rebuild mode. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is getting an OC job in this cycle. Even with the Bears he was interviewing for QB coach. I know people loved what he did with LSU and that sticks in the mind but anyone who has really watched the Carolina offense in his reign there as OC will see an utter disaster of playcalling. He should have been fired after 1 season and was rightly fired halfway through his second. He needs a year or two in reputation rebuild mode. 

Is it confirmed he was the play caller and not Rhule?

4 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

They better have a good 3 year, must stay, contract with Dorsey. Don't want him to leave after a year for continuity sake.

There's no such thing.

They can offer Dorsey a 3 or a 5 yr guaranteed contract, but if he has the opportunity to take a HC job in a year, they can't block it.

When I first glanced at the title I somehow in my mind read "Joe Judge for QB coach?" and thought it was going to be one of THOSE threads 😛 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yep. There were calls for him to be stripped of it earlier this season and Rhule confirmed Brady would continue to call plays. Then fired him altogether a couple of weeks later. 

Ah.  So was it really his play calling that sucked, or was it the lack of a QB who could execute it, and injuries to key players?

McDaniel might not have looked good without Deebo Samuel.

I don't watch Carolina so have no idea.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah.  So was it really his play calling that sucked, or was it the lack of a QB who could execute it, and injuries to key players?

Their offensive line was a WRECK last year.  They used 11 different guys, and their starting center played less than half the snaps.  I don't think its a particularly strong unit even with fewer injuries.  

In addition the best playmaker played less than 300 snaps with injuries, and they used 3 QBs - Darnold who needs a run game/protection (got neither), Newton (no arm), and Walker (Probably not an NFL player).  Bill walsh couldn't have done a thing with that team.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have a feeling it was a little bit of injuries and a little bit of Brady being in over his head as an NFL OC that early in his coaching career.

I think being a QB coach on this staff is a good spot for him to learn and grow. Plus, if he is happy here, he could be the next OC in a few years if the offense continues to hum and Dorsey gets a head coaching job down the road.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it confirmed he was the play caller and not Rhule?

There's no such thing.

They can offer Dorsey a 3 or a 5 yr guaranteed contract, but if he has the opportunity to take a HC job in a year, they can't block it.

I think he'd need 2... but what do i know.  Usually the 1 and done coordinators work under someone like McVay at HC - they come from an offensive tree.  Dorsey has worked under Shula and Rivera.  He was fired when they brought in norv turner.  

4 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

I have a feeling it was a little bit of injuries and a little bit of Brady being in over his head as an NFL OC that early in his coaching career.

I think being a QB coach on this staff is a good spot for him to learn and grow. Plus, if he is happy here, he could be the next OC in a few years if the offense continues to hum and Dorsey gets a head coaching job down the road.

I agree, helps get some of the stink off of you to join a team with a more talented offense.  

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't get me wrong he did not benefit from great Quarterback play, but I 100% think his play calling sucked. I still think he is a talented young coach. He just wasn't ready to be an NFL OC. It was similar to Hackett here who was an NFL Quality Control guy, then got a college OC job then bounced right back as an NFL OC. Doesn't mean they suck or don't have good ideas. But I think often what they really need is just more experience of the league and what game planning and play calling in the NFL really requires. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Brady was promoted to soon.  Going from passing game coordinator/WR coach at LSU to NFL offensive coordinator in one year was to big of a jump.  But what he did at LSU, a program with almost no history of a high octane passing attack, was exceptional. And the success of the players in the NFL that he coached can not be denied.

As for Carolina, not sure Brady can be blamed for that #### storm. First off, the Panthers offense nose dived after Brady was fired. And Brady didn't trade for Sam Darnold or sign Cam Newton or injure CMAC. 

Hiring Brady was a great move by the Bills.  He's clearly an offensive minded guy who can design innovative passing schemes.  And he now has a burning desire to prove his detractors wrong.  Oh and I assume Dorsey will be calling the plays not Brady.

10 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

Absolutely the bolded. The talent didn't help, both QB play and some injuries, but he was in over his skies. This is a great spot for him as well as a great spot for the Bills to hire him. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Brady was promoted to soon.  Going from passing game coordinator/WR coach at LSU to NFL offensive coordinator in one year was to big of a jump.  But what he did at LSU, a program with almost no history of a high octane passing attack, was exceptional. And the success of the players in the NFL that he coached can not be denied.

As for Carolina, not sure Brady can be blamed for that #### storm. First off, the Panthers offense nose dived after Brady was fired. And Brady didn't trade for Sam Darnold or sign Cam Newton or injure CMAC. 

Hiring Brady was a great move by the Bills.  He's clearly an offensive minded guy who can design innovative passing schemes.  And he now has a burning desire to prove his detractors wrong.  Oh and I assume Dorsey will be calling the plays not Brady.

The bolded is exactly my point. 

And Dorsey 100% is calling the plays. I am not criticising this hire. I had him on my shortlist for this job I published on here yesterday like 3 hours before the news broke. I think it is a great hire by the Bills and a great situation for Joe Brady. But he did suck in Carolina and a lot of the reason was he just wasn't ready to be an NFL OC. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Absolutely the bolded. The talent didn't help, both QB play and some injuries, but he was in over his skies. This is a great spot for him as well as a great spot for the Bills to hire him. 

He really was being asked to polish a turd in Carolina, I don't know what any OC, even a good one, would have done there. Definitely not a good environment to try and learn on the job.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, stevewin said:

When I first glanced at the title I somehow in my mind read "Joe Judge for QB coach?" and thought it was going to be one of THOSE threads 😛 

And I thought it said Tom Brady! And I'm like, my God, what is wrong with people???

Anyway, it seems like a great hire. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't get me wrong he did not benefit from great Quarterback play, but I 100% think his play calling sucked. I still think he is a talented young coach. He just wasn't ready to be an NFL OC. It was similar to Hackett here who was an NFL Quality Control guy, then got a college OC job then bounced right back as an NFL OC. Doesn't mean they suck or don't have good ideas. But I think often what they really need is just more experience of the league and what game planning and play calling in the NFL really requires. 

I mean, his QB play pretty much sucked, didn't it? And if McDaniel designed his offense around the skillset of Deebo Samuel and only had him for 7 games as Brady did with CMC, mightn't he look like he sucked?  Feliciano said something in an interview about "there's playcalling, and then there are players who make the play work" while breaking down an outside zone run where Breida made a nice gain but Singletary was being tackled in the backfield.

I'm not questioning your conclusion, I guess I'm interested in how you tell that it's the playcalling and not the execution of the plays that are called.

And sure, his rise was super-rapid and it may well be that he's a guy who just needs to settle in and figure things out more.

At this point, I don't think Josh needs someone who is going to work with him technically every practice (though they may bring in an assistant who can, or he could bring in a consultant, as I understand it Brady used to do this).  He needs someone to look at plays on the sideline and help him figure out the defense/coverage and sometimes rein in his own tendencies.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, his QB play pretty much sucked, didn't it? And if McDaniel designed his offense around the skillset of Deebo Samuel and only had him for 7 games as Brady did with CMC, mightn't he look like he sucked?  Feliciano said something in an interview about "there's playcalling, and then there are players who make the play work" while breaking down an outside zone run where Breida made a nice gain but Singletary was being tackled in the backfield.

I'm not questioning your conclusion, I guess I'm interested in how you tell that it's the playcalling and not the execution of the plays that are called.

And sure, his rise was super-rapid and it may well be that he's a guy who just needs to settle in and figure things out more.

At this point, I don't think Josh needs someone who is going to work with him technically every practice (though they may bring in an assistant who can, or he could bring in a consultant, as I understand it Brady used to do this).  He needs someone to look at plays on the sideline and help him figure out the defense/coverage and sometimes rein in his own tendencies.

He kept calling deep shots with Teddy noodle arm at Quarterback. One of the reasons they traded for Darnold is he was involved in convince Rhule he needed a bigger arm for his offense to work. He basically brought the LSU passing attack to Carolina and said to Teddy Bridgewater "there you go, run that." And when that didn't work his answer was change the Quarterback. 

And believe me I am the biggest advocate of execution matters more than play calling. I always liked the Chan Gailey line "plays are more fun than fundamentals, and fundamentals are more important than plays." But Joe Brady did a bad job in Carolina. He deserved to be fired sooner than he was. I mean given that he was one of the hottest names going two years ago and that at least 9 teams are overhauling their staff I think it is telling that he hasn't had a single reported OC interview. The teams who have interviewed him have been looking at him as a position coach. 

This is a great spot for him. It's a great hire for the Bills. It was the right solution for all parties. 

• Like (+1) 3

This is no comment on Brady other than at LSU, he had Joe Burrow throwing to, among others, Jefferson and Chase and handing off to Edwards-Helaire.  That's mind-boggling!  So when he has incredible talent, he's a great coach (LSU) and when he has no talent (Carolina), he's a bad coach.  Does that mean the jury is still out?

10 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

This is no comment on Brady other than at LSU, he had Joe Burrow throwing to, among others, Jefferson and Chase and handing off to Edwards-Helaire.  That's mind-boggling!  So when he has incredible talent, he's a great coach (LSU) and when he has no talent (Carolina), he's a bad coach.  Does that mean the jury is still out?

Good thing we have incredible talent then!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If he was going to get one........it was going to be one of the "distressed" variety for not necessarily the right reasons...........like Houston(which is a big LSU alumni town)........or now that the Dolphins are toxic maybe there(he's also from Miami).

Better off getting a re-set with a team with a great player at QB and maybe he can fast-track his way back to a promising OC gig and then to HC......all in a 3-4 year span........rather than take another bad situation.....get fired again......and then spend 9 years climbing back to ANY NFL OC job again like Daboll had to.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.