Joe Brady for QB Coach? [Now Hired]

Rubes

4 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I love this - but I’m so confused.  Brady is on a trajectory to be HC somewhere.  Not sure what happened in Carolina - but I feel like a QB coach is a huge step down for him.  I would have expected him to take an OC at someplace like Michigan or something (if there is a coaching change) - not a QB coach job here.   This is probably a one year thing…but glad to have him. 

Sam Darnold happened.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He was the former LSU OC for Burrow and just got fired in Carolina from the same position but most felt he was Ruhle's scapegoat.

Dude is legit. And would give us a backup if Dorsey doesn't work out or gets a HC job somewhere. Always build the pipeline.

He made Darnold look good before he injured his shoulder again.

5 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I don’t know much about this guy except he was with Joe Burrow at LSU in 2019 so that’s a good sign. He also managed to make Sam Darnold look like a competent QB early in 2021 but then it all fell apart. 

He's gotten credit for creating a passing offense that broke records. I tend to believe having Burrow, Chase, Jefferson, and Marshall had the most to do with it. But he's a modern day football mind. 

I think it is a great hire if true. Young guys with fresh ideas who have trained under some of the best coaches is not a bad place to be. Add Chad Hall into the equation, ad I like what they are doing. 

Now add an old school plugger as a the oline coach and I really like where they are at. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't why he'd work with such a meanie like McDermott.

More confirmation.

Mike Munchak worked for Tomlin. 👁️‍🗨️

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Rubes said:

No idea who that is...

EDIT: Former Panthers OC, interviewed recently with Bears for an unspecified position but apparently might not be taking it...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/01/report-bears-interviewing-joe-brady-for-spot-on-coaching-staff/

I was pretty against him as OC. I had him on my shortlist for QB coach earlier today. That would be a GREAT hire. Let him learn the NFL a couple more years before he gets another go round as a coordinator. He went from an NFL offensive quality control guy to the LSU super season straight to an NFL OC job. It was too much too soon. He would be very wise to take this job. And it is a win for the Bills. Talented young coach, knows the E-P..... lots to like. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What's interesting is he's a WR that became a QB coach. 

He was special even as a Grad assistant at PSU. Joe Morehead immediately picked him out as his personal protege, and even Josh Gattis had him in his WR room, Brady soaked up the entirety of Morehead's offense and was instrumental in Trace McSorely's development (3* safety/QB to All conference QB and draft pick) - he was basically PSU's unofficial QB Coach - as a GA.

That dude is an offensive savant. 

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I love this - but I’m so confused.  Brady is on a trajectory to be HC somewhere.  Not sure what happened in Carolina - but I feel like a QB coach is a huge step down for him.  I would have expected him to take an OC at someplace like Michigan or something (if there is a coaching change) - not a QB coach job here.   This is probably a one year thing…but glad to have him. 

As I mentioned in another post..........he isn't really a college coach and has no history as a recruiter and from what I heard no interest in doing that job.

University of Miami would have been the logical choice.........he is from there so there was a lot of speculation about it..........but you can't pay a big time coordinator salary to a guy in college who isn't also a recruiter.     Players want to know that the OC really wants them there.    Can't just send a WR coach out there and expect to pull 4 and 5 star players unless your name is Saban.

• Like (+1) 2

And given the timing, I wonder if this is what prompted Tierney to take the Giants job, or vice versa?

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would be shocked if Buffalo doesn't promote Ryan Wendell to OL coach. 

Not if Muchak is willing to come here.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

And given the timing, I wonder if this is what prompted Tierney to take the Giants job, or vice versa?

Not if Muchak is willing to come here.

Tierney is a Daboll guy, believe he followed him from Bama. I always thought he would continue to follow him. Bills thinking bigger for that role, likely would have kept him as asst QB coach if he didn’t follow Daboll

I know Brady took a pounding in the media this year, but I still like him as a football guy, this would be an outstanding add IMO and he could take over for Dorsey if he ever leaves as long as he becomes versed enough in our system. 

Goo get Munchak too.

Stacking up on assistant coaches is a benefit of good ownership willing to spend. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tierney is a Daboll guy, believe he followed him from Bama. I always thought he would continue to follow him. Bills thinking bigger for that role, likely would have kept him as asst QB coach if he didn’t follow Daboll

Yeah, after thinking about it, Brady is the far better option.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I heard Raiders as well (he played for McDaniels) 

When/where?

On a similar subject, Shea Tierney is leaving to be the NYG Qb coach.

Not surprised since Joe Brady is being named our QB coach. Plus Tierney was one of the only asst. coaches Daboll actually hired himself. Ryan Wendell was another and I think there was possibly 1 more low level assistant too (at most). Otherwise McDermott assembled the entire offensive staff.

47 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

If I was a candidate for OC or QB coach .. if I had to choose between any other teams and the Bills, Chiefs, Chargers or Bengals .. I would take the Bills, Chiefs, Chargers or Bengals. I would want to be with Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, or Burrow.  It is almost a lottery ticket to move to the next level. I am confused by the Bienemy thing as he may just be a terrible interviewer, but Kafka is already being discussed as a future HC.

In the end, I would be shocked if Dorsey is not a HC in 2 years due to coaching Josh. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.