Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

32 minutes ago, stuvian said:

interesting hypothesis. Why would Houston feel pressure to hire a black coach but not New Orleans?

I could be misinterpreting, but I think the idea is that Houston felt pressure AGAINST hiring the coach they were said to be planning to hire - Josh McCown, who has no coaching experience in the NFL at any level.

The Flores lawsuit put pressure on them that they had to hire a more qualified coach, so they chose their internal candidate, Lovie Smith (last year's DC).  I'm not sure they felt pressured to hire a Black coach per se - they might have - but I think they want to get McCown in the door as some form of coaching assistant, and Lovie Smith might be the only candidate who would put up with that.

Why they're so passionate about Josh McCown I have no idea.  Easterby must have prayed about him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Apparently, his indignation at lack of minority representation ends where the possibility of getting millions out of the NFL begins....

My guess is Flores went with the person he thought gave him the best chance to win.  

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be misinterpreting, but I think the idea is that Houston felt pressure AGAINST hiring the coach they were said to be planning to hire - Josh McCown, who has no coaching experience in the NFL at any level.

The Flores lawsuit put pressure on them that they had to hire a more qualified coach, so they chose their internal candidate, Lovie Smith (last year's DC).  I'm not sure they felt pressured to hire a Black coach per se - they might have - but I think they want to get McCown in the door as some form of coaching assistant, and Lovie Smith might be the only candidate who would put up with that.

Why they're so passionate about Josh McCown I have no idea.  Easterby must have prayed about him.

Probably even McCown was pressuring them not to hire him. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

My guess is Flores went with the person he thought gave him the best chance to win. 

He'll sue them next.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I see it the same as far as the attorneys. Hello Mr. attorney, do you think I should file a discrimination lawsuit against the NFL?

Options A)

Yes

Option B)

Perhaps you should take a week or two and evaluate your options, we can file this lawsuit at anytime

It's almost comical to think what the answer would be. 

Pretty early on in this thread, several folks who seem to know their stuff commented that they would not rely upon Wigdor to represent the client's best interest:

In addition to this, another member commented on the strategy of specifying that the Broncos interviewers were "drunk" at the interview:

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Maybe.  Or maybe he went with the law firm that promised him what he wanted ("absolutely, Mr Flores, you have a strong claim") when he wanted it (right now), and who would agree to try the case in the press.

Maybe there were other law firms he contacted who advised him to take some time to consider before filing, and to be careful to dot 'i's and cross 't's and not make any defamatory claims that would be hard to substantiate, and he didn't like that advice.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty early on in this thread, several folks who seem to know their stuff commented that they would not rely upon Wigdor to represent the client's best interest:

In addition to this, another member commented on the strategy of specifying that the Broncos interviewers were "drunk" at the interview:

What sucks and this might have also been pointed out. It would seem statistically probable that a good old boys network has an undercurrent in the NFL. If this is based on air Flores didn't exactly help the cause to make things better. 

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

interesting hypothesis. Why would Houston feel pressure to hire a black coach but not New Orleans?

Because they were the ones who were thinking about hiring a white guy who has never coached in the NFL at any level & would have made a mockery of a coach search if they had hired McCown.  The heat was on them after it leaked that the two leading candidates were Flores & McCown and they really didn't want to hire Flores after he filed the lawsuit.  So they had to find another candidate, preferably a black man.

New Orleans eventually hired a white coach with previous head coaching experience whose defense figured out how to stop Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers this past season, which was pretty good on his resume  His promotion was much more palatable than if Houston had hired McCown.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Flores starting to come off like an egomaniac and narcissist...now he disses the Texans hiring Lovie Smith, another black man, btw, who has a winning record and SB appearance compared to his teams that folded like a cheap tent in the final games of the year with the playoffs on the line more than once.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/habib-brian-flores-lawyers-undercut-231204093.html

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

But the Ooops text from Belichek set him off.

My own conspiracy theory based on being in the same division with Bill, is it was no mistake.  He wanted to make sure Coach Daboll didn't end up in the AFC East.  Since Coach Flores worked for him 9 years, he knew how to piss him off.  NFC East is a much better place for Coach Daboll.

Edited by reddogblitz

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

My own conspiracy theory based on being in the same division with Bill, is it was no mistake.  He wanted to make sure Coach Daboll didn't end up in the AFC East.  Since Coach Flores worked for him 9 years, he knew how to piss him off.  NFC East is a much better place for Coach Daboll.

so BB played him and set him off knowing he's a hothead

• Like (+1) 1

Flores is now adding Texans to the last of people he's taking to court. Maybe...just MAYBE Brian was "painted as an angry black man" by the Dolphins....because of actions like this?

The sad part is that he raised a lot of valid questions about the league hiring process. Things that SHOULD be addressed and topics that, while uncomfortable for some, do need looked at. 

But stuff like this will make it all too easy for the talking points to change and it all turn into a huge punchline.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/brian-flores-will-amend-his-lawsuit-to-include-a-claim-against-the-texans-for-retaliation/

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How can we know these came from the Dolphins? Why couldn’t these be fabricated? Asking honestly. 

Also, even if it wasnt fabricated, these are likely standard exiting procedure for NFL teams. 

Edited by HamSandwhich

12 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

How can we know these came from the Dolphins? Why couldn’t these be fabricated? Asking honestly. 

Also, even if it wasnt fabricated, these are likely standard exiting procedure for NFL teams. 

Well, I doubt Flores would forge a document. On the first pic of his law firm's tweet, it says on the bottom of the page where they don't want him to make any disparaging statements against the Dolphins "Flores - Separation Agreement - 1.27.22"; and on the third pic, they provide a document saying Flores refused to sign the separation agreement that has Brandon Shore's (of the Dolphins) signature

And even it is standard, the Dolphins specifically denied offering him the NDA in their statement.

9 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well, I doubt Flores would forge a document. On the first pic of his law firm's tweet, it says on the bottom of the page where they don't want him to make any disparaging statements against the Dolphins "Flores - Separation Agreement - 1.27.22"; and on the third pic, they provide a document saying Flores refused to sign the separation agreement that has Brandon Shore's (of the Dolphins) signature

And even it is standard, the Dolphins specifically denied offering him the NDA in their statement.

I am not sure why the Dolphins would deny such an easily verifiable fact.  Did they think he would not keep a copy?  This is a non-issue in any case.  Requiring an NDA in return for full severance benefits is entirely standard practice everywhere.  I would have thought that clause was in his employment contract, but even if so, many companies prefer to get another one in place so there are no questions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

So you're going off the idea that they would not lie? People do lie, especially this day and age of appealing to the public. I would take all of this with a grain of salt until it all comes out as what happened. 

3 hours ago, FLFan said:

I am not sure why the Dolphins would deny such an easily verifiable fact.  Did they think he would not keep a copy?  This is a non-issue in any case.  Requiring an NDA in return for full severance benefits is entirely standard practice everywhere.  I would have thought that clause was in his employment contract, but even if so, many companies prefer to get another one in place so there are no questions.  

I'm sure a non-disparagement clause is standard in such buyouts. The attempt to conflate this as uniquely about him seems performative 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Irrelevant to the topic, but what's the point of starting every other tweet with "breaking"?

Russian invasion was breaking news, not that one guy joins another guys lawsuit (even moreso when this was hinted long time ago).

I don’t know but I read yesterday that shefter makes 9 mill/yr

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have plenty of sympathy for Blacks, but from a practical point of view, this is a lot of baloney.   I mean, each of these guys may have been discriminated against, but proving it with the kind of stuff they're alleging doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  

Wilks was 3-13 in one year as head coach of the Cardinals.  Lots of guys have been one and done after going 3-13.   He blames his failure on the GM.   And to say if he'd been the head coach and Kyler Murray, he would have succeeded too, is total speculation.  So is that he wanted to draft Josh Allen.   It's all just speculation. 

And to complain that you got the interview strictly because of the Rooney Rule, and you weren't a serious candidate because they already had someone in mind, well, that happens often too.  The Rooney Rule doesn't require the team to hire a Black candidate, and it doesn't give a Black candidate a free ride to head coaching job just because the Black candidate thinks he was a better choice.   The rule is designed as much as anything to give Black candidates the opportunity to develop interview skills in a very selective market.   Most guys don't get hired in the first head-coaching interview.  

There seems to be very little evidence of racial discrimination.  "I didn't get hired" is not evidence. 

• Agree 3

I think Horton has a case, given Mularkey's story. If that isn't proof of a "sham interview" I don't know what is. Mularkey would have no reason to make that up either, as it makes him look bad. 

Not so sure on Wilks. I mean, he got a raw deal but he also seemed not up to the job if I recall correctly. I mean, there's the Jim Tomsulas of the world too, and maybe Wilks was similarly not ready. 

but IMO of all these guys Horton has the most compelling  case. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

The rooney rule itself is what is humiliating and to blame.

The Titans knew who their head coach pick was, but the rule forces them to find someone who fits a particular designation in order to be cleared to hire the guy they know they want? Mularkey wasnt even an outside candidate, he was the interim head coach at the time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I believe the Cardinals traded up for Rosen but still, good thing they didn’t listen to Wilks!

I'm sure Pete Carroll would've drafted Tom Brady if it weren't for being fired from the Patriots and replaced by Belichick too.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think Horton has a case, given Mularkey's story. If that isn't proof of a "sham interview" I don't know what is. Mularkey would have no reason to make that up either, as it makes him look bad. 

Not so sure on Wilks. I mean, he got a raw deal but he also seemed not up to the job if I recall correctly. I mean, there's the Jim Tomsulas of the world too, and maybe Wilks was similarly not ready. 

I think all three guys didn't get fair shakes as head coach. 

Not one them has anything to do with race, though. It's just at any given time 80% of the teams in this league are run incompetently, negligently, or both. 

Black, white or whatever else, the fact is if you're a head coach in this league there's a high likelihood you're gong to flame out for reasons far beyond your control. It's a shame, but it is what it is. 

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

In Mularkey's case he was already the coach.  The team decided they wanted to stick with him.  So, when a team decides they want to hire the interim coach full time, isn't every other interview a sham interview?  The only reason Tennessee had to put on the dog & pony show was the Rooney Rule, which at times forces teams to conduct interviews in spite of having already chosen someone within the organization.  Recently the Bills had to do the same thing before hiring Dorsey as OC.  Internal hires where one candidate is the obvious choice should not be subject to a rule that makes a team interview people from outside the organization just for window dressing.  

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have plenty of sympathy for Blacks, but from a practical point of view, this is a lot of baloney.   I mean, each of these guys may have been discriminated against, but proving it with the kind of stuff they're alleging doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  

Wilks was 3-13 in one year as head coach of the Cardinals.  Lots of guys have been one and done after going 3-13.   He blames his failure on the GM.   And to say if he'd been the head coach and Kyler Murray, he would have succeeded too, is total speculation.  So is that he wanted to draft Josh Allen.   It's all just speculation. 

And to complain that you got the interview strictly because of the Rooney Rule, and you weren't a serious candidate because they already had someone in mind, well, that happens often too.  The Rooney Rule doesn't require the team to hire a Black candidate, and it doesn't give a Black candidate a free ride to head coaching job just because the Black candidate thinks he was a better choice.   The rule is designed as much as anything to give Black candidates the opportunity to develop interview skills in a very selective market.   Most guys don't get hired in the first head-coaching interview.  

There seems to be very little evidence of racial discrimination.  "I didn't get hired" is not evidence. 

I agree with this.   The move has also been to hiring from the offensive side of the ball, not defensive.  That's why they are starting the efforts to move more black coaches to that side of the ball.  As to the Cardinals not wanting to move up to grab Josh Allen, I was under the impression they tried to move up but the Bills beat them to it.  Recall, no one was dealing above pick 7.

29 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I believe the Cardinals traded up for Rosen but still, good thing they didn’t listen to Wilks!

I love when some media hack tries to revise history. As you stated, Arizona traded up for Rosen, they did not stay put. Arizona wanted to trade up for Josh, but the Bills had more draft ammo.  Arizona was 15th with one 2nd round pick, the Bills were 12th with 2 second round picks to offer.  Arizona never had the draft capital to compete with the Bills. 

I remember a lot of draft graders saying the Bills gave up too much for Allen while applauding Arizona for trading up 5 spots (same number of spots that the Bills moved up from) in order to beat Miami to Rosen.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Irrelevant to the topic, but what's the point of starting every other tweet with "breaking"?

Russian invasion was breaking news, not that one guy joins another guys lawsuit (even moreso when this was hinted long time ago).

Breaking news I believe is news that hasn't been reported before,that this is the first report of it.

NFL introduces Rooney Rule requiring teams to interview people who may not be the right candidate for the job. People are interviewed based on skin color and don't get said job. So by that logic wouldn't every minority candidate ever that wasn't hired have a case?

I went for a job interview and didn't get it. I don't know why and neither do these candidates. To assume racism without proof is interesting to say the least. More millionaires pandering to people who may actually be oppressed and I'm sure the Twitter mob is going to take the bait.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I love when some media hack tries to revise history. As you stated, Arizona traded up for Rosen, they did not stay put. Arizona wanted to trade up for Josh, but the Bills had more draft ammo.  Arizona was 15th with one 2nd round pick, the Bills were 12th with 2 second round picks to offer.  Arizona never had the draft capital to compete with the Bills. 

I remember a lot of draft graders saying the Bills gave up too much for Allen while applauding Arizona for trading up 5 spots (same number of spots that the Bills moved up from) in order to beat Miami to Rosen.    

Yeah I was under the understanding that Arizona wanted Josh Allen too, but couldn't get ahead of the Bills.

Although if Allen was their guy, why would they then trade up for Rosen? Was that to get ahead of Miami who may have wanted him? Definitely a head scratcher. 

19 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Yeah I was under the understanding that Arizona wanted Josh Allen too, but couldn't get ahead of the Bills.

Although if Allen was their guy, why would they then trade up for Rosen? Was that to get ahead of Miami who may have wanted him? Definitely a head scratcher. 

Carson Palmer retired & they had no long term answer at QB, so they felt that they had to draft a QB.  If the Bills had lost out on Josh Allen, at some point early in the draft, they would have selected a QB.  The Browns, Jets, Bills and Cardinals all had boxed themselves into a corner that made it necessary to draft a QB in 2018.  The class was supposed to be the best since 2004 and each team had made alternate plans if their top guy was already drafted.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.