Mitch Morse ready to retire?

ToBillsFan

1 hour ago, FlaFitz1 said:

A player like Fournette?  LMAO!!

In the regular season:

Fournette 180 carries for 812 yards a 4.5 average - a long of 47 yards, 5 carries for 20 or more yards - 8 TDs - 45 1st downs - 2.5 yards after contact

Singletary 188 carries for 870 yards a 4.6 average - a long of 46 yards, 6 carries for 20 or more yards - 7 TDs - 44 1st down - 2.4 yards after contact

In the post season:

Fournette 13 carries for 51 yards a 3.9 average - a long of 11 yards - 2 TDs - 5 1st downs

Singletary 26 carries for 107 yards a 4.1 average - a long of 16 yards - 3 TDs - 11 1st downs

So you want a guy that is basically the same guy?  Ummm, ok.

I'm not proposing FOurnette as an every down back.  He's a  bruiser who does his best work in short yardage situations.  He's less fluid than Singletary but stronger.  He's like OJ Anderson - gets 3 yards if you need 1 or 5

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Turnover on rosters every year.  Players know that.   Don’t read too much into it.  

I agree with you generally, but I do believe Morse is gone almost certainly.

I hope so--he's terrible.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I wouldn't be surprised by this. He just had another child born and his family still lives in KC area.

Also have to factor in his concussion history too.

It will probably be mutual--not sure we want him back and not sure he wants to continue.

I expect our OL to be substantially changed by next season.

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, ToBillsFan said:

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year. Then there is always the concussion topic which we know he has experienced.

thoughts?

Very well may decide he rather walk away now and not risk further concussions.  He's already at higher risk of developing the medical issues from concussions later in life.  Who knows how many symptoms he exhibited when he's been recovering from concussions he's had.  I rather a player err on side of caution when it pertains to their long term health.  Having just welcomed his new son he may have priority to his family then the game of football.  Wish him the best if that's what he decides.  And at least if that is his decision the Bills have been made aware early enough to have all avenues to replace him.  FA or draft if they feel good their on some prospects.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Mitch has been decent but we could probably use an upgrade at Center. Need to figure out if Bates is better at there or if he should remain at Guard. Really like Tyler Linderbaum C from Iowa coming out this year but probably won't have a shot at him. Thinking he goes in the top 20. Upgrading the interior so we can move on from Williams would be ideal. I am fine with Brown and Dawkins at the T position. Although I would like to see Brown take some reps at LT in the offseason and Dawkins at G.

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

Turnover on rosters every year.  Players know that.   Don’t read too much into it.  

This.  What is with all the sleuths on here today trying to read something into every comment or action by a player to determine their future?  I don't think anyone knows anything right now other than that rosters have churn 100% of the time no matter what.  The only thing we know is that these players love one another and playing together...and they know not all of them will be back...but doesn't mean they know who or that they themselves are not planning to be back.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree with you generally, but I do believe Morse is gone almost certainly.

I hope so--he's terrible.

It will probably be mutual--not sure we want him back and not sure he wants to continue.

I expect our OL to be substantially changed by next season.

Morse played well down the stretch but still think we need to look at serious upgrades for entire interior oline. Not sure I believe in Bates long term either.

Find our own version of Creed Humphrey this year.

I tend to not listen too much to what players tend to say after coming up short in big moments like this. It's very emotionally charged, there's a lot of feelings. They're not thinking rationally and that moment is definitely not the time to make any potentially life changing decisions.

That being said, I think he was just talking about how each team/locker room is different year to year.

4 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I fully he was referring to the fact rosters always change from one season to the next.   When it comes to the Bills they only have about $9 million in cap space band the following are going to Unrestricted Free Agents:

Jerry Hughes

Mario Addison

Vernon Butler

Emmanuel Sanders

Mitch Trubisky

Ike Boettger

Levi Wallace

Twain Jones

Efe Obada

Isaiah McKenzie

Matt Breida

Harrison Phillips

Justin Zimmer

Siran Neal

With only $9 million to spend they can't keep all of them - if the wanted to - plus they are going to need roughly $9.5 million for the rookie draft pool.

Oh and Ryan Bates is going to be a RFA.  I don't see them giving him a 1st round tender but if they put a 2nd tender on him he's get a contract worth the greater of $3.384 million or 110% of prior-year base salary.  Seeing he made $850,000 this past season that would mean he'd get the $3.384 million.  They won't put an original round tender on him because he was a UDFA.   If they put Right-of-first-refusal tender on him he'd be offered a 1 year contract worth $2.133 million and the Bills would have the ability to match any offer from a another team.

If they released Morse they would save $8.5 million and have $2.75 in dead cap money but them who moves to center?  If they release Beasley they would save $6.1 million against the cap and have $1.5 in dead cap.   If the let Klein go hey save nearly $5.2 million and have a 400k dead cap hit. Ford would save them 1.52 million and count as $870 in dead cap space.  Matakevich would save them $2.5 million and cost a hit of 750K.  Releasing Feliciano would save $3.4 million and leave a dead cap hit of $1.5 million

They are going to be changes.  Players released.  Some contracts reworked.  All of the UFAs won't be back.  The unit won't be the same.

The highlighted is not true.  The cap is based on the top 51 salaries until the season starts, so the R1 pick and maybe R2 will count ($2.5 mil?).

9 hours ago, ToBillsFan said:

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year. Then there is always the concussion topic which we know he has experienced.

thoughts?

I'm completely guessing more along the lines that Daboll is going to get a HC gig, Frazier will most likely be gone, free agency, draft picks etc. imo but with all the concussions he's had you could be right also.

9 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I think there have been some rumblings about Morse retiring. Some dude talked to his uncle in an airport and he implied he wasn’t returning (can’t remember which thread, take with a grain of salt). I think he also takes care of his disabled brother in KC, which he might want to spend more time doing.

That's the thread that immediately came to mind.  Think he's gone.

39 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

That's what Over the Cap projects based upon where they are selecting, last year's numbers and expected increase this year.

https://overthecap.com/draft/

Yes, the total rookie pool is correct, but the salaries that determine the Bill's cap during the offseason include only the top 51.  Only the top 2 draft picks will impact their cap by the time they sign them, and even then you drop 2 other salaries off the 51, so the net impact will probably be a little over $2 million.

18 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We need to get a couple road graders on the Oline with the center possibly being one of them.

We need a top 10 rushing attack that doesn’t include Josh ( as a staple)

You’re aware it’s 2022 and not 1993, correct? This is idiotic. 

2 hours ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

You’re aware it’s 2022 and not 1993, correct? This is idiotic. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/29889/kansas-city-chiefs-offensive-line-rebuild-was-a-long-time-in-the-making?platform=amp

“The result from their neglect was a line that was solid at tackle with Fisher, the first pick in the draft back in 2013, and Schwartz. But it had been patched together with waiver claims and low-round draft picks in the interior. When Fisher and Schwartz were injured last season, everything collapsed.”

Yeah, what was I thinking. What kind of idiot Neanderthal would look to fortify their O line in this Century😉

On 1/24/2022 at 5:43 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Could be more than that,  Beane basically did next to nothing from last season after losing in title game.  Other than Sanders and draft,  we were basically the same team.  I think because of all the in season struggles with our line there will be changes.  The Bills can create about 35 million in cap space cutting guys like Star/Addision/Klein/Beasley/Ford/Moss/ Feliciano and a couple of others who play on ST'S.  If they include Morse that goes to around 42-43 million

I think Beane adds a couple of play makers to starting 11 defence. Other than White they have no elite play makers on defence

Addison is a FA I believe.  He was signed for two years and this past season was his second.

I think Beane goes after playmakers on O.  I think Bease and Star  are definitely gone.   Not so sure about Feliciano; depends on Morse.   They won’t get rid of Ford.  They need depth and with Allen’s cap hit going up it will need to be cheap depth.   Team will still be good, but my thought is it will be too heavy (big resources spent on starters).  

Draft will be huge this year.

14 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Addison is a FA I believe.  He was signed for two years and this past season was his second.

I think Beane goes after playmakers on O.  I think Bease and Star  are definitely gone.   Not so sure about Feliciano; depends on Morse.   They won’t get rid of Ford.  They need depth and with Allen’s cap hit going up it will need to be cheap depth.   Team will still be good, but my thought is it will be too heavy (big resources spent on starters).  

Draft will be huge this year.

I am hopeful we can sign some prove it deals with free agents,  maybe restructure some deals until cap moves up.  Next season is the last year that ALLEN'S deal is at reasonable money.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:56 AM, No_Matter_What said:

I just came to post this. There is a poster on this board who said before the season that he talked to Morse's relative and that this would be his final season in NFL. I don't take it for granted but it makes sense to me, and OPs observations seem to confirm it.

If he retires I want to say thank you for what he has done here. He was one of the best Beane's FA signings, and very underrated one.

Good lord it took until late this season to start pulling him for runs and it worked impeccably 

On 1/25/2022 at 4:51 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/29889/kansas-city-chiefs-offensive-line-rebuild-was-a-long-time-in-the-making?platform=amp

“The result from their neglect was a line that was solid at tackle with Fisher, the first pick in the draft back in 2013, and Schwartz. But it had been patched together with waiver claims and low-round draft picks in the interior. When Fisher and Schwartz were injured last season, everything collapsed.”

Yeah, what was I thinking. What kind of idiot Neanderthal would look to fortify their O line in this Century😉

You said you wanted a top 10 rushing attack. A top 10 rushing attack doesn't correlate to winning a thing, passing does, and even more than that it's early down success rate. So yes, it's neanderthal thinking and out of touch with what matters. If the line protects Josh like they did the last month the offense will continue to be elite. 

24 minutes ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

You said you wanted a top 10 rushing attack. A top 10 rushing attack doesn't correlate to winning a thing, passing does, and even more than that it's early down success rate. So yes, it's neanderthal thinking and out of touch with what matters. If the line protects Josh like they did the last month the offense will continue to be elite. 

I agree with this but what I would say is this line does not deserve the benefit of the doubt when you look at the season as a whole. Efforts should still be made to fortify it. They were great against New England they were otherwise steady over the last 6 weeks of the season (including playoffs) but stnading pat with a group that struggled most of the year would be a mistake IMO. 

As for Morse I have heard from two well connected and totally separate to each other sources in the last two weeks that he plans to call it a career. That was before Sunday's game and obviously the emotion of that might affect his decision (I thought he was really good on Sunday, he looked to me like a player who was leaving it all out there for his final ride) but that was what I heard. 

1 hour ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

A one dimensional O where the QB is your number one rushing weapon?

No Thank You

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

There are a couple of points here.

1) The Bills actually had a top 10 rushing attack - #5 in Y/A, #13 for attempts but #6 for yards.   Guess who was tied for #7 in Y/A?  Kansas City.  Just perhaps it's less out of touch with what matters than you think

2) "If the line protects Josh like they did in the last month" .....Guess what changed in the last month?  We started jamming down on the run game.  We didn't become a top rushing team, or a run-first team, but def. committed to it more and to my eyes, started to return to the pin-and-pull blocking concepts that worked in 2019.  Starting with the Carolina game, we began using Tommy Doyle as a 2nd TE blocking on those plays.  We also ran more designed runs for Josh and started using McKenzie in the running game. 

The reason this is important to protecting Josh, is that if there is uncertainty in the minds of the defense as to what we will do, they can't just "sell out" to stop the pass by blanketing the field and using exotic pass rush schemes to overload one half of the line while leaving vast turf unprotected for a run they have no fear of.

51 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

A one dimensional O where the QB is your number one rushing weapon?

No Thank You

Hopefully that is what Beane says as well, and I think it is - he talked about the current state of the OL as "something to build on", he said "it all starts with protecting Josh" and said "part of protecting Josh is the run game"

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

As for Morse I have heard from two well connected and totally separate to each other sources in the last two weeks that he plans to call it a career. That was before Sunday's game and obviously the emotion of that might affect his decision (I thought he was really good on Sunday, he looked to me like a player who was leaving it all out there for his final ride) but that was what I heard. 

This is probably going to sound snarkier than I intend it, but it always amazes me how all these TBDers with "inside scoop" connections come out of the woodwork after the season.  Morse will retire, the Giants will hire Flores, etc etc.

Beane seems unaware of this intention. 

If Morse retires, the Bills can ask him to return $2.75M of his signing bonus and foregoing $8.5M of salary and bonus.

That's a pretty big chunk of change to walk away from.

I don't know how you can distinguish a "guy who was leaving it out there for his final ride" from a guy who is trying with all his might to help his brothers on the team advance to the AFCCG and the Superbowl

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is probably going to sound snarkier than I intend it, but it always amazes me how all these TBDers with "inside scoop" connections come out of the woodwork after the season.  Morse will retire, the Giants will hire Flores, etc etc.

Beane seems unaware of this intention. 

If Morse retires, the Bills can ask him to return $2.75M of his signing bonus and foregoing $8.5M of salary and bonus.

That's a pretty big chunk of change to walk away from.

I don't know how you can distinguish a "guy who was leaving it out there for his final ride" from a guy who is trying with all his might to help his brothers on the team advance to the AFCCG and the Superbowl

I don't claim to have the inside scoop. The story about Morse has been out there and alluded to in a few places. I had two people totally unconnected tell me that they had heard he intended to retire after the season. This is before the playoffs even began. 

Now of course having heard that beforehand it is entirely possible that the way I saw his game on Sunday was some kind of confirmation bias. But if that is a career for Mitch he left absolutely everything on the field on Sunday. It might have been his best game as a Bill. 

As for if he is retiring why isn't Beane aware.... we don't know that he isn't. Maybe he has had a chat with them and said "look I think this might be it" and they have said to him "take your time Mitch no rush to make a decision, let us know before March." 

My only point in posting in this thread is that it is more than just people jumping to conclusions based on press conference answers. This rumour has been doing the rounds for a few weeks. 

He could just be full of hot air after the loss. He could mean that many of his teammates will be gone next year. Dude’s only 29, he’ll be 30 next year, he clearly has another 2-3 years at a high level. He was our best lineman behind Dawkins, hopefully Josh can convince him to stay. Maybe Beane can convert some of his salary into a bonus for him?

He would be a big loss and he was fantastic this year, especially on pull plays which is an underrated aspect to line play and it’s something this team relies on and does very well.

Edited by Victory Formation

On 1/24/2022 at 9:00 AM, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

I think he spent some time hogging Reid after the game too.   

Reid seems to be hogg enough on his own without someone else hogging him.

Edited by Beast

On 1/24/2022 at 9:21 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, he's pushing 30. Made a ton of money. Has a concussion history and just had a new baby.

As a Bills fan I hate to think he may retire "early". He would be missed. However if he wants to enjoy life with his family and walk away before more brain injuries...I get that too. 

I’ve posted this before, but I met a guy in the Chicago airport on the way to the opener who said he was Mitch’s uncle. We were chatting as half the plane was going to the Bills game, and he said it would be Mitch’s last year. I said I thought he had one more year on his contract, and he just shrugged and said “well, you know….”  Sat with him and his wife on the flight talking about Mitch at home and his family. It seemed legit. 

I didn’t know what to make of it, and I was hesitant to post, but if his own family is telling strangers in airports…..🤷‍♂️

The guy has all the money he will ever need and a young family. If he wants to be sure he can be 100% there for his family for many years to come, I wish him well and thank him for his time with our Bills. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

started to return to the pin-and-pull blocking concepts that worked in 2019.

This!!!!

They started running counters and having Singletary follow blocker who were road grading AND allowing him to see seams as they were developing.

Up until the beginning of December (?) they just kept having him try to run straight behind the center and guards and it NEVER worked.

Thurman’s bread and butter was the counter play so it was doubly gratifying to see it spark the ground game. 
    Tangentially, it raises my suspicion about Daboll’s true coaching acumen that it took him that long to make the change and get Singletary going. I feel like this is a symptom of relying on Josh to much …ie. Lazy coaching.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this but what I would say is this line does not deserve the benefit of the doubt when you look at the season as a whole. Efforts should still be made to fortify it. They were great against New England they were otherwise steady over the last 6 weeks of the season (including playoffs) but stnading pat with a group that struggled most of the year would be a mistake IMO

The OL went through various permutations and combinations for numerous reasons, only becoming solid once Dawkins improved (I'm still chalking his early-season struggles to COVID), Bates became the starter at LG and they settled on Brown at RT and Williams at RG.  If Morse doesn't retire, they'll be able to bring them all back and keep that continuity going and improving.  I just don't see a reasonably priced alternative in FA and the draft is always a crap shoot.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.