How Long will Bill Belichick Remain Coaching?

Nextmanup

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I was off on the 50. Turns out I'm told it be 39. Pats could reasonably average 8-10 wins a season so 4-5 is more likely IMO.

Don’t forget it also includes any playoff wins.. so that’s why I thought 4…

also you were off because it was 49 before the year started so 50 was close then. :) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t understand why either him nor Brady wouldn’t want to spend this time with their families. Brady has young kids and Bilicheck has grandkids. 

BB has two of his kids on staff with NE and he doesn’t spend as much time as he use to in the office.. a lot of people say he has chilled out the last few years..  39 wins I say 4 years… especially since I see Dolphins regressing AGAIN.. so have 4 easy division wins between them and Jets.. 

Belichick and Nick Saban are very close friends for more than 40 years. They both also happen to be Croatian, a strange coincidence. 

Saban says that he has been part of a team for 60 or so years and will continue to coach until he thinks that he is hurting his team. I am 100% sure that the two of them have talked it over, and I am guessing that Belichick feels the same way. 

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes and I think he will push money out to put the best players he can get around him.  Making trades and using some future picks too.

It's just my opinion.  He went nuts in FA this year (something he never has really done before) and he will again this coming year I believe.

I hear ya, but unless you have a QB, it just doesn’t matter. Not to mention, Belichick isn’t the best talent evaluator. I don’t think because Belichick pick Jones it means Jones is good. Honestly, Belichick’s track record says just the opposite. At best Jones is 50/50 at being a good, not great, starter. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t understand why either him nor Brady wouldn’t want to spend this time with their families. Brady has young kids and Bilicheck has grandkids. 

have you been around kids? Or seen bills son specifically? You’d stick to coaching. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hear ya, but unless you have a QB, it just doesn’t matter. Not to mention, Belichick isn’t the best talent evaluator. I don’t think because Belichick pick Jones it means Jones is good. Honestly, Belichick’s track record says just the opposite. At best Jones is 50/50 at being a good, not great, starter. 

Anyone who has a long coaching career going have stints where drafting is bad. BB Definitely had that, but the last two draft classes show some promise (Dugger,Owenu, Uche,Jones,Barmore, Stevenson and more)if he has a third good draft the Pats should have a good young core. I don’t know if Jones be a Good, Bad, or great QB but I have faith he and McDaniels will get the most out of him. 

actually he is pretty decent with FA and trades, those usually work..not always but again a long coaching career be like that. (I mean Welker, Moss trades were great, heck trading for Van Noy even..has a few duds)

• Disagree 1

I think he attempts to coach another 5ish years. Now attempting to coach and actually doing the demanding job of coaching an NFL team is completely different. But I think if he could draw up his exit strategy it would be to coach out the next 4-6 years and then hand the team off to his son. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Interesting fact: there have been 511 head coaches in the NFL, all time.

THREE (3) of them have coached into their 70s.

1) George Hallas

2) Marv Levy

3) Pete Carroll

Pete has only done it for one year, as he turned 70 this season.

Hallas and Levy are the only 2 guys IN NFL HISTORY to coach for multiple years into their 70s.

Bill Belichick is 69 and turns 70 in April.

The data suggests that the grind of being an NFL head coach catches up to you in your late 60s and these guys just can't do it much past that.

What do you think?

Six or seven more years at an absolute maximum, I'd guess.

I think unless he gets an excellent quarterback he'll consistently compete for playoffs, make it a lot, and get beaten early. He won't like that as a long-term diet.

He is not a typical head coach.  He appears to still be on top of his game.  I believe he has excellent coaches on his staff that he has trained to do things his way.  I also think he operates the team much like a CEO runs a large corporation.  He operates from 10000 ft. and only gets his hands dirty when there is a problem.  This probably allows him to avoid much of the physical wear and tear.  I'm sure that he is trying to stay on until he breaks Shula's record.  Personally, I think he will make it.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes and I think he will push money out to put the best players he can get around him.  Making trades and using some future picks too.

It's just my opinion.  He went nuts in FA this year (something he never has really done before) and he will again this coming year I believe.

I think a lot of the reason he spent so much in FA this year comes down to luck and reading a situation where he had an advantage.

The Pats had a ton of guys opt out in 2020. That left them with a ton of unspent cap meaning they were close to the top of the league last year in available cap.

And that happened in a year when there was a Covid-related lack of available cap space all over the league. Meaning that FA demand was low, meaning that FA prices were low in a year when they had a ton of money. Belichick read that and used it. That's why he spent a lot last year, but doing so left him not so much for next year.

Next year on the other hand, available cap will be low, but not as low as last year. And Belichick will have a lot less available, around $27M right now according to Spotrac.

45 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

He operates from 10000 ft. and only gets his hands dirty when there is a problem.  This probably allows him to avoid much of the physical wear and tear.

16-18 hour days 7 days a week takes it toll, no matter how little you micromanage.

I don't see it personally.  I think he has a couple more years and throws in the towel, especially when the next Brady doesn't show up and it's just a lot of tough sledding, especially compared to what he has been used to.

23 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

one more if they stick with Mac and he continues to be terrible (pronounce turr-able)

Yea, if what we saw this year is Jones’ ceiling than I would expect 2 more seasons before Belichick retires or is fired. 
Belichick did a great job of sending the message that the team needs to rally around the rookie. I think that’s why the Vets on O and D were supportive with comments to the media. I question how long that remains if it turns out McCorkle is an average QB. 

39 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yea, if what we saw this year is Jones’ ceiling than I would expect 2 more seasons before Belichick retires or is fired. 
Belichick did a great job of sending the message that the team needs to rally around the rookie. I think that’s why the Vets on O and D were supportive with comments to the media. I question how long that remains if it turns out McCorkle is an average QB. 

I can’t stomach watching the Pats*** games because of the gushing love for Belicheat and NE so 

while I haven’t seen a lot I have seen much worse.  
they should have kept Garoppolo 

36 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I hope he retires after this game ;)

After spending ALL that $$$ on FA’s and failing, he’d better be 😝 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think that Bill would like to win 1 more SB to like Brady prove that it wasn't just the other component in the tandem that made them great .

Plus i would think that he would want to have the team in a really good spot as far as the roster goes & if it was good enough to win 1 more i think we would see him walk of into the snow storm in Foxborough .

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

He'll coach until they pry the hoodie from his cold dead fingers.

He has nothing else in his life and there's nothing else he'd rather do.  As I asked rhetorically a couple of days ago, what would he do if he did retire?  Start a book club?

1. could start his own clothing line, call it Hoodie and do the runway model thing, or 2.  just watch Fox News and fascinate about unrealistic conspiracies and B word about the government

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.