How Long will Bill Belichick Remain Coaching?

Nextmanup

Interesting fact: there have been 511 head coaches in the NFL, all time.

THREE (3) of them have coached into their 70s.

1) George Hallas

2) Marv Levy

3) Pete Carroll

Pete has only done it for one year, as he turned 70 this season.

Hallas and Levy are the only 2 guys IN NFL HISTORY to coach for multiple years into their 70s.

Bill Belichick is 69 and turns 70 in April.

The data suggests that the grind of being an NFL head coach catches up to you in your late 60s and these guys just can't do it much past that.

What do you think?

50 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

1) George Hallas

2) Marv Levy

3) Pete Carroll

Hallas and Levy are the only 2 guys IN NFL HISTORY to coach for multiple years into their 70s.

The data suggests that the grind of being an NFL head coach catches up to you in your late 60s and these guys just can't do it much past that.

What do you think?

He's 38 wins away from topping Shula as the all time winningest coach. He's HUGE on the history of the NFL. Even if it would seem he wouldn't care less I believe he stays until he breaks that mark.

EDIT: Corrected Number of wins needed. Had said around 50...turns out it's 38 

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

He's around 50 wins away from topping Shula as the all time winningest coach. He's HUGE on the history of the NFL. Even if it would seem he wouldn't care less I believe he atays until he breaks that mark.

I think as the Pats are currently constituted you are talking 5 years minimum and more like 7. Coaching in the NFL these days aged 76? Not sure I see that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

1) George Hallas

2) Marv Levy

3) Pete Carroll

What do you think?

He isn’t going anywhere till he breaks Shula win record.  After that he will retire the end of that year. So I say another 4 years?

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

1) George Hallas

2) Marv Levy

3) Pete Carroll

What do you think?

Do you frequent the Pats forum?  This topic was created there about 2 hours ago lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He's around 50 wins away from topping Shula as the all time winningest coach. He's HUGE on the history of the NFL. Even if it would seem he wouldn't care less I believe he stays until he breaks that mark.

Good God. He'd be coaching into his 80's.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think as the Pats are currently constituted you are talking 5 years minimum and more like 7. Coaching in the NFL these days aged 76? Not sure I see that.

I see it as long as he's healthy. He reminds me of the kind of guy that works his whole life and passes away 3 months after retiring. Just nothing else left. As long as he can, I believe he will

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

1) George Hallas

2) Marv Levy

3) Pete Carroll

What do you think?

He lives for football and is rare breed.  I can see him coaching into his 70’s but yeah at some point he will need to slow down

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He's around 50 wins away from topping Shula as the all time winningest coach. He's HUGE on the history of the NFL. Even if it would seem he wouldn't care less I believe he stays until he breaks that mark.

That's a long 5-6 years

Edited by Buffalo716

I think it's more another SB (without Brady) than the overall win record. He's not stupid, he knows if he doesn't;t win one without Brady there will always be that question about him. Brady proved he could do it on his own last year and if Belichick were to win one in the next couple of year I think he'd ride off into the sunset right after

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I could see him trying, but that's literally 5 more years minimum unless he goes on a run. 73-74 is pretty old to be coaching in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t understand why either him nor Brady wouldn’t want to spend this time with their families. Brady has young kids and Bilicheck has grandkids. 

Yeah I just can't imagine why he doesn't want to spend more time with his family.

stevebelichick_tongue.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I think it's more another SB (without Brady) than the overall win record. He's not stupid, he knows if he doesn't;t win one without Brady there will always be that question about him. Brady proved he could do it on his own last year and if Belichick were to win one in the next couple of year I think he'd ride off into the sunset right after

I agree.  Brady having his best season ever this year has to eating him up.

That's why I think he goes all in and mortgages the future for one (2 seasons) more try.

16 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He isn’t going anywhere till he breaks Shula win record.  After that he will retire the end of that year. So I say another 4 years?

No way he gets that record in 4 years.  He may very well never get there.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I could see him trying, but that's literally 5 more years minimum unless he goes on a run. 73-74 is pretty old to be coaching in the NFL.

I don't see him getting that record with the immediate outlook for the team.  

He isn't guaranteed 10+ win season like in the old days.

I can see him trying to win a SB without Brady as some have mentioned, but I don't see that coming close to happening without a QB, and NE may not get another good for a decade.  Who knows?

They don't grow on trees, and Brady was found by dumb luck.

29 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

exactly, his father was the coach at Navy, his sons are coaches, his family has the largest collection of football books in the world and has donated it to the Naval academy (or the library of congress)...my friend who is Boston sports fanatic and long-time Pats season-ticket holder figures coach will be around to break the record for sure than after who knows, that could be the end or tries to become the oldest coach in NFL history as well...depends of what motivates him... and history sure does

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No way he gets that record in 4 years.  He may very well never get there.

Looks like it's only 38 to tie 39 wins to get the record... I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for them to average 10 wins a season... Especially with an extra (17th) game a season in there.

Edited by No Place To Hyde

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  Brady having his best season ever this year has to eating him up.

That's why I think he goes all in and mortgages the future for one (2 seasons) more try.

What can he possibly do?! What does “mortgage the future” mean? 
I am sure you are suggesting a trade for someone like Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson. Problem is the Pats picks are as attractive as say the Saints or a couple other teams. Belichick has his future, as long as that may be, ties to MacCorckle Jones. 

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What can he possibly do?! What does “mortgage the future” mean? 
I am sure you are suggesting a trade for someone like Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson. Problem is the Pats picks are as attractive as say the Saints or a couple other teams. Belichick has his future, as long as that may be, ties to MacCorckle Jones. 

Yes and I think he will push money out to put the best players he can get around him.  Making trades and using some future picks too.

It's just my opinion.  He went nuts in FA this year (something he never has really done before) and he will again this coming year I believe.

• Agree 1

He'll coach until they pry the hoodie from his cold dead fingers.

He has nothing else in his life and there's nothing else he'd rather do.  As I asked rhetorically a couple of days ago, what would he do if he did retire?  Start a book club?

33 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I was off on the 50. Turns out I'm told it be 39. Pats could reasonably average 8-10 wins a season so 4-5 is more likely IMO.

He’s lucky that he plays the jets and fins 2 times a year……oh wait. He’s lucky that he plays the jets 2 times a year.  Maybe they’ll go back to being better than Miami now that Flores is gone

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.