Texans Can Culley

Mike in Horseheads

19 minutes ago, Trock said:

He rubbed people the wrong way. Not a likable guy. With his bone headed, ultra conservative style and his toxic body language. The writing was on the wall. 

His team sure seemed to be playing hard for him, right up through week 18. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

From what I can tell in what you pasted, yes.

The first line refers to "The employer-club" as the one receiving the draft picks. And in section b. they refer to the "employer-club" and the "new club".

This leads me to believe that Baltimore would be the employer-club and Houston the new club.

I'm sure you are right after reading it your way.  

Thanks Dawk!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He got a 5 YEAR deal, which will continue to pay him until he is 70. This is basically his retirement plan. He's fine.

"Dave Culley?  Hi, Derek Beeman from Texans season tickets...I see you're a recent retiree.  Ever consider season tickets?  Hello..."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is a Houston roster that had a real shot at 1-16 or 0-17 and he went 4-13.  If you have an 8-9 roster and go 12-5 you get a multi year extension.  I think he comes out of this looking really good and will eventually get another HC opportunity with a club that's not an absolute tire fire.

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

This is a Houston roster that had a real shot at 1-16 or 0-17 and he went 4-13.  If you have an 8-9 roster and go 12-5 you get a multi year extension.  I think he comes out of this looking really good and will eventually get another HC opportunity with a club that's not an absolute tire fire.

Is that what he did wrong? Not tanking to get the #1 pick?

Talk about another dumpster fire organization and I bet Frazier if anyone is thrilled he didn't end up getting the job last year.

What exactly was the expectation with one of the worst rosters in the NFL this year? Even if there wasn't any off the field issues with Watson and he started all year they weren't going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

Apparently they want Flores.  And Flores wanted Watson in Mia.  So Watson may not be going anywhere.  

That's the only way this make sense and why the Texans essentially are screwing Culley over is because they did not think Flores would be available and/or Watson told them he would stay and play next year if the coaching change is made.

Just now, Warcodered said:

Is that what he did wrong? Not tanking to get the #1 pick?

I really think it's more the equivalent of a team signing a journeyman QB because they know the better QBs will be in next year's draft.  That said, the Texans organization is just piling up one douchey move after another and it's hard to acquire and keep talent at every level that way.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Sometimes you just SHOULDN'T  take the job…… he got pooched.

I just hope he and his agent knew the kind of situation they were going into and were $mart enough to have a contract that takes $ome of the $ting out of it. If WE are not surprised, HE shouldn’t have been. So…..there’s that….  🤷‍♂️

Still sucks. 

• Agree 1

This is the league but it's also not a good look for the Texans , I'll explain 

A coach coming in is obviously expected to do some things.. but he's also expected to be granted a few things seeing those qualifications are met 

If you're given a five year contract ... You should at least be given two full seasons to try to show some fruits 

Almost no coach going in is going to have any trust with the front office.. because you had a guy to a 5-year commitment and only gave him one

Now that doesn't mean he had to run out all five years.. but he should have been given time to get to show his vision 

The team did play hard for him 

BUT The game of football is cutthroat.. and it's the way it goes

He was one of the most privileged men in football for a season.. 1 of 32 in the world

I think everyone in league circles will see it the same way. I'm sure he got paid more and now he has the experience. He'll get another shot elsewhere, I'd bet. Maybe not this year, but in future years.

10 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

What did they expect Culley to do with a roster completely void of any talent at all? When your superstar is an over the hill Brandin Cooks and your QB was taken in the third round and was a rookie? 4 wins is pretty impressive. 

They expected him to fill the spot that no one else would take, for a year or so, until they got a better handle on the situation with their young, star, troubled QB. Or until someone better that would take the job came along.

This played out exactly as the Texans and Culley expected.

1 minute ago, gjv001 said:

This might be way out in left field but, do the Texans look to Brian Flores as HC with the thought of  patching things up with Watson.

It's the running theory that has been talked about on every page of this thread and all over the media right now, so I don't think you are too far out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean they just hired the guy and he had no QB going into the season what were they really expecting from him?

Maybe they thought they were guaranteed to finish with the first pick and they're pissed that he messed up their plan. Guy did a great job with a team that was being laughed at before the season. I guess people are still laughing at the franchise but the team definitely got more respect as the season went on

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They expected him to fill the spot that no one else would take, for a year or so, until they got a better handle on the situation with their young, star, troubled QB. Or until someone better that would take the job came along.

This played out exactly as the Texans and Culley expected.

5 years seems like a long contract for that sort of plan.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, Culley has been ambitiously jockeying for positions for years now with the sole goal of becoming a HC, and not caring how bad or temporary the positions were. This is right in line with his MO. And I dont say that with any negative connotation. It simply is what it is.

He got a 5 YEAR deal, which will continue to pay him until he is 70. This is basically his retirement plan. He's fine.

Apparently only 2 years of guaranteed money. $4 million next year and that's it. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen non guaranteed money in a contract for a HC. The $4 has to be lowest in the NFL.

I guess he was betting on himself but that contract sucked.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Not even just no QB. That roster was almost completely devoid of talent. Caserio just hired him to take the L's for a year so that the coach he actually wants hopefully won't have a tainted record.

Exactly.

It's the right move for the Texans.

Culley wasn't the future and the next HC now has a chance to actually come in and not have HIS process undermined by a dreadful first year.

I said it at the time...........Dick Jauron did a great job changing the culture in Buffalo in his first year...........they went from a sloppy, rudderless, penalty-prone mess under Mularkey to a keep-it-simple and execute team under Jauron.........which was THE PERFECT TIME to make a change.    

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

5 years seems like a long contract for that sort of plan.

See below vvvvvvvvv

9 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Apparently only 2 years of guaranteed money. $4 million next year and that's it. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen non guaranteed money in a contract for a HC. The $4 has to be lowest in the NFL.

I guess he was betting on himself but that contract sucked.

Ah, well that makes more sense, and pretty much lines up with what I've laid out in this thread. Culley was ALWAYS a temporary stop-gap.

He isnt upset, and definitely not surprised if they only guaranteed 2 years.

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

With Deshawn Watson its unlikely Culley loses his job

With Deshaun Watson playing, its unlikely Culley ever gets hired for the job.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is like the biggest farce ever. 

That poor guy got handed the rawest of raw deals with the roster and the QB situation.

He actually managed to pull the team together and win over the Titans and the Chargers.

Now he's gotten canned after 1 season, while the Ravens get 2 - 3rd round draft picks as a reward for shoving the poor guy out the door into a crappy situation.

Sheesh.

Yep. I guess they should've just labeled him "interim coach" from the get-go. 

And the weird thing is he actually may have started developing a real NFL QB in Davis Mills. Without anyone noticing he finished the season with these QB ratings:

52.4 (split this one with Tyrod)

That's a pretty nice conclusion to a rookie season. 

Now he can start all over again with some crappy retread HC ....

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep. I guess they should've just labeled him "interim coach" from the get-go. 

And the weird thing is he actually may have started developing a real NFL QB in Davis Mills. Without anyone noticing he finished the season with these QB ratings:

52.4 (split this one with Tyrod)

That's a pretty nice conclusion to a rookie season. 

Now he can start all over again with some crappy retread HC ....

That's the work of Pep Hamilton, not Culley. Culley just said he didnt know what an uptempo offense was, and he left all decision making to his coordinators.

No one in Houston is surprised or upset by this.

7 minutes ago, todd said:

Filling that HC position with a quality coach just became very difficult. I'd probably decline an interview with those bastards.

I dont think you are on Easterby's short list. But Flores definitely is, and he definitely wants to coach Watson.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think you are on Easterby's short list. But Flores definitely is, and he definitely wants to coach Watson.

Well then they don't know what they are missing! 🤣

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is like the biggest farce ever. 

That poor guy got handed the rawest of raw deals with the roster and the QB situation.

He actually managed to pull the team together and win over the Titans and the Chargers.

Now he's gotten canned after 1 season, while the Ravens get 2 - 3rd round draft picks as a reward for shoving the poor guy out the door into a crappy situation.

Sheesh.

I feel bad for him but he knew exactly what he getting into.  There’s a reason Brian Daboll refused to interview in Houston.  It was Caserio’s plan from the start to hire a coach short term considering the roster was the weakest in the NFL and would not be desirable to big name.   Someone like Daboll who has 20 some years of coaching ahead of him can afford to be selective.  Older coaches like Culley or Frazier do not.  

As soon as they hired Culley everyone suggested he was set up to fail.  They picked him as he had lots of coaching experience that would be agreeable and would help with the locker room culture and team PR.  He was not really qualified to be a head coach, having never worked above a position level coach for 30 years.  

I’ll say he made the most of a bad situation and fated a lot better than most expected.  It is pretty ***** how they treated him but then again, we are talking about Houston Texans.  At the end of the day, this was what he signed up for. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I feel bad for him but he knew exactly what he getting into.  There’s a reason Brian Daboll refused to interview in Houston.  It was Caserio’s plan from the start to hire a coach short term considering the roster was the weakest in the NFL and would not be desirable to big name.   Someone like Daboll who has 20 some years of coaching ahead of him can afford to be selective.  Older coaches like Culley or Frazier do not.  

As soon as they hired Culley everyone suggested he was set up to fail.  They picked him as he had lots of coaching experience that would be agreeable and would help with the locker room culture and team PR.  He was not really qualified to be a head coach, having never worked above a position level coach for 30 years.  

I’ll say he made the most of a bad situation and fated a lot better than most expected.  It is pretty ***** how they treated him but then again, we are talking about Houston Texans.  At the end of the day, this was what he signed up for.

I suppose I'm partly pissed off that the Ravens managed to get 2 - 3rd round picks by shoving (excuse me, lobbying for and recommending) their under-qualified "Passing Game Coordinator" out the door into a bad HC situation where he only lasted a year.  I don't think that really is the kind of developmental coaching pipeline that the 2 3rd round picks were supposed to encourage teams to pursue.

SI and ESPN are reporting that only 2 years of Culley's 5 year contract were guaranteed. SI has this to say:

Firing Culley after this kind of performance, winning games with Tyrod Taylor and third-round rookie Davis Mills, proves that cynical chatter correct. It continues an embarrassing trend of minority coaches in the NFL getting half the runway of their white counterparts, requiring gargantuan expectations to succeed in impossible scenarios. Two years for Vance Joseph in Denver with zero quarterback. One year in Arizona for Steve Wilks, with Josh Rosen under center. Jim Caldwell out in Detroit after a 9–7 season, only to watch a lengthy cavalcade of ineptitude parade through town after him.

Perhaps Culley understood the buzzsaw into which he was walking. Signing a contract like that in the first place would lead us to believe as much. Maybe he’s been around the block enough to have seen the long road ahead, known the deal and decided to proceed anyway. If that’s the case, God bless him. But there is something unseemly about the examples both unknowingly set.

Maybe the Texans, after dozens of attempts, will be the first franchise to really, truly, actually create some kind of Patriots satellite camp (.....)

Or, maybe they’re just doing what other teams have unwittingly done for years: firing someone who was perfectly capable and good, who outperformed expectations significantly, for the promise of something better. Undermining the already strained efforts of Black coaches in the NFL, because that’s what the management playbook says you can do. Treating good work from a good man like gravel under your tires.

The bolded above is also pissing me off.

On the other hand, HC make a lot more $$ than guys several steps down on the "offensive assistant" food chain.  Culley is 65, has a wife and 2 kids, maybe he has or expects to have grandkids.  By allowing himself to be used like this, perhaps he coolly took home "Generational Wealth" for his family, and who could blame him for that?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.