Great McKenzie story on Christmas eve

TPS

From Tim Graham and The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3039383/2021/12/28/its-so-buffalo-big-weekend-for-the-bills-isaiah-mckenzie-began-when-he-walked-up-to-some-familys-house-on-christmas-eve/

For the trip to New England, McKenzie had to take his 5-month-old pit bull, Papi, to the boarder. He hoped to grab a burger at Forty Thieves Kitchen & Bar while he was out.

Bummed to discover the restaurant was closed, he posted an Instagram plea at 8:43 p.m.

“Anybody got food at they house? Cause I’m hungry!”

Timms’ nephew, Chris Uba, invited McKenzie to join their family gathering in the Park Meadow neighborhood in North Buffalo.

McKenzie walked into a traditional Polish holiday party. The family of 16 already had eaten, but plenty of pierogi, tenderloin and a certain other family dish remained. They seated McKenzie at the head of the table and brought him plates.

“It was like I was a family member, an uncle or something,” McKenzie said. “It felt good, being there at their dinner table. I got to watch them open gifts.

“It was awesome to be around people who just want to hang out, be normal and enjoy Christmas Eve instead of sitting alone.”

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 29

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I love this story, but is this in compliance to league protocols? 

As far as I know, but here:

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1636480927/league/kemnihvgpwnu1fws6uer.pdf

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/the-nfl-releases-enhanced-covid-19-protocols/

McKenzie is vaccinated.  

I don't think they have limitations on where a vaccinated player can go and who he can interact with outside the facility.

Another example of a great Feel-Good story involving Jets QB Zach Wilson:

https://nypost.com/2021/12/26/zach-wilson-gifts-nj-diner-waitress-two-jets-tickets-video/

But it's by reason of these kind of normal, human interactions outside the facility that I think  Dr Allen Sills and the "let's stop Covid in the NFL by going to enhanced protocols within the facility and not testing 95% of the players" is probably not gonna work too well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it was the crab casserole.  I think TBD'ers in B'lo should make up a rota to ensure 'lil IMac is never without.

He may of liked the casserole better but my heritage says it was the pierogi's that caused his MVP play!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

‘Twas the night before christmas

he posted a tweet

i have no food

i have to eat

then comes a response

nothing to fear

ive been invited to dinner

a place very near

When I got to the place

a full table to see

16 people in all

not including me

two days later

i had a good game

My team won

i get some fame

i just need to thank the strangers I see

and make sure before game

i eat a perogee 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cool story …. Good for lil ‘ dirty. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is so on brand for Buffalo. Love this, reminder that not all players have families they can be with at the holidays. 

I’m making pierogis and kielbasa/sauerkraut for New Years, pretty excited 

What time is dinner? Yum…. :D 

Called in Polish, Wigilia:

http://www.polishamericancenter.org/Wigilia.htm

Traditionally meatless:

"...The Wigilia is a meatless meal, no doubt the result of a long-time Church mandate that a strict fast and abstinence be observed on this day before Christmas. Although the Church laws have been revised and permit meat to be eaten on this day, the traditional meal remains meatless. Items that would normally be included in a traditional Wigilia menu include mushroom soup, boiled potatoes (kartofle), pickled herring (sledzie), fried fish, pierogi, beans and sauerkraut (groch i kapusta), a dried fruit compote, babka, platek, assorted pastries, nuts and candies. ..."

15 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Seafood casserole the night before a game?!  Man's got stones of solid steel, held up by 1/2" aircraft cable! 😳

Two nights - Christmas was Sat, this was Christmas eve.  But when he laid out to catch that ball and went face first into the turf, I agree with you.  Mind you, they must be small solid steel stones or the lil' guy couldn't run like he does with them.

19 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Does anyone know what the certain other dish was?

Apparently the crabmeat cassarole McK requested seconds on

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is so on brand for Buffalo. Love this, reminder that not all players have families they can be with at the holidays. 

I’m making pierogis and kielbasa/sauerkraut for New Years, pretty excited 

I think normally, the players without family would get together on a holiday at a veteran's or position coach's house

But I think the "enhanced protocol" rules are that no more than 3 players can get together outside the facility

(I'm not sure, and of course the protocols keep changing)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.