Donald Parham Injury from TNF--One of Worst I've Seen

Nextmanup

8 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Joe Buck is a complete jackass. He said maybe his hands were shaking because it was cold out for LA. They're in a stadium that is covered with open areas, but come on, how cold could it be in LA? And Parham was obviously still unconscious at the time. 

I'm just glad to hear he is stable. Being he was in that fencing posture after he hit his head is not a good sign. Hope like hell he makes a full recovery. Def some scary *****

I heard Joe Buck's comments about how it was "cold by southern california standards" and COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS HEARING.

I always highly disliked this guy's broadcasting style, but on top of, he's an idiot!

6 hours ago, QCity said:

I watched the game and I didn't hear this. What exactly did you hear?

It happened a while after the incident was over.  They came back from a commercial break or something and decided to go back to the injury via instant replay, showing him being wheeled off the field with his hands shaking, while clearly still "knocked out" for lack of a better term...

And that's when Buck rambled on about it being cold and what not.

He's a complete moron.

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

It looked innocent enough at first but his head bounced off the turf and you could clearly see he was unconscious.

That was a very serious concussion.

My prayers go out to him I hope he is ok

The entire time he was injured/being treated/being secured/being pushed off the field he did NOT regain consciousness.

I have seen people take huge head shots like that and then hold their arms in funny, gravity defying positions.  It's very counter-intuitive.  As soon as I saw him holding his arms up after the hit, I knew he was out cold and this was a really serious injury.

All from slamming the back of his head against that turf, even with the helmet on.

Makes you wonder what the hell they are playing on.  Concrete?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This was one of the ugliest and scariest incidents I've ever seen in a game.

Parham pretty obviously never regained consciousness, even as they were wheeling him off the field after a sustained delay...with his hands convulsing nervously.

IMO, Buck and Aikman deliberately refrained from saying ANYTHING as the scene was already more than gruesome enough.  

except Buck saying he was shaking because it was cold

9 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Joe Buck is a complete jackass. He said maybe his hands were shaking because it was cold out for LA. They're in a stadium that is covered with open areas, but come on, how cold could it be in LA? And Parham was obviously still unconscious at the time. 

I'm just glad to hear he is stable. Being he was in that fencing posture after he hit his head is not a good sign. Hope like hell he makes a full recovery. Def some scary *****

I always wonder if they ad lib all that stuff or a producer is telling them in the earpiece to say those things and that’s the real idiot in this situation. 

I could see a producer panicing trying to feed some bs about the disturbing shaking. 

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Thank you so much for finding and sharing this!  On a generally sucky, not to mention grey and rainy day, this truly  makes me happy to hear.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I always wonder if they ad lib all that stuff or a producer is telling them in the earpiece to say those things and that’s the real idiot in this situation. 

I could see a producer panicing trying to feed some bs about the disturbing shaking. 

Clearly Aikman and Joe Buck are highly scripted, but that producer would be an ass then. 

Fox should have experts on standby who could tell them that a "Fencing Reaction" is a known reaction to a concussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That is great news; I didn't think the story would end this positively or this abruptly.

Hopefully he is OK going forward.

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

except Buck saying he was shaking because it was cold

Yeah that was at a completely different point in the telecast.

Did you watch it?

As it all happened live and they wheeled him off the field, no one say ANYTHING because it was as serious and scary looking as anything I've seen.

A while later they went to a replay and that's when Buck offered his "words of wisdom."

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I'm pretty sure that was all on Joe Buck!

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thank you so much for finding and sharing this!  On a generally sucky, not to mention grey and rainy day, this truly  makes me happy to hear.

Clearly Aikman and Joe Buck are highly scripted, but that producer would be an ass then. 

Fox should have experts on standby who could tell them that a "Fencing Reaction" is a known reaction to a concussion.

The NFL has experts on standby that tell Fox to try to not use the c word.

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah that was at a completely different point in the telecast.

Did you watch it?

As it all happened live and they wheeled him off the field, no one say ANYTHING because it was as serious and scary looking as anything I've seen.

A while later they went to a replay and that's when Buck offered his "words of wisdom."

I'm pretty sure that was all on Joe Buck!

You're right. Buck should just stay quiet. They all say , "we don't want to speculate" then immediately speculate

• Like (+1) 1

I was surprised he was KOed, and even then wasn't concerned. It happens, it always looks bad. Then he could move his feet and hands. Great. All good. And then  when he was twitching when carted off now I was worried. It looked really bad suddenly. The play looked so mundane too. Glad to know he's fine

My gosh, did what Joe Buck said about his hands and arms shaking possibly because it was cold really bother some of you as much as you are leading on?

Who cares what Joe Buck said? He offered an opinion. A wrong opinion. Whoopdie freaking doo. And, actually, since he said it was possible that doesn't even make his statement wrong.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Beast said:

My gosh, did what Joe Buck said about his hands and arms shaking possibly because it was cold really bother some of you as much as you are leading on?

Who cares what Joe Buck said? He offered an opinion. A wrong opinion. Whoopdie freaking doo. And, actually, since he said it was possible that doesn't even make his statement wrong.

I think it's more a case of most fans hate him as a broadcaster to begin with, and then on top of it, he says what might be the dumbest comment in the history of broadcasting...so people are ready to jump on him.

I just can't stand his style of announcing; I think he's terrible.

And it's just as bad for baseball games.

42 minutes ago, Beast said:

It’s cringe-worthy. But not in a “look at that jackass Buck try to minimize the injury so the broadcast can go on.” Its in a “I’m in an awkward situation here and I have to fill the air and maybe a slightly more upbeat idea will help matters and make people truly concerned about him feel a little less panicky.”

NFL producers probably need to script these things before they happen. and going to stupid Verizon commercials with a guy who could possibly be paralyzed or dead on the field is not a great look either. I really don’t know how you can be sensitive here - you don’t want the camera zooming in on a guy in a medical emergency, but you don’t want to ignore the elephant in the room either. And you certainly don’t want to start talking about what those arms might mean. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It’s cringe-worthy. But not in a “look at that jackass Buck try to minimize the injury so the broadcast can go on.” Its in a “I’m in an awkward situation here and I have to fill the air and maybe a slightly more upbeat idea will help matters and make people truly concerned about him feel a little less panicky.”

NFL producers probably need to script these things before they happen. and going to stupid Verizon commercials with a guy who could possibly be paralyzed or dead on the field is not a great look either. I really don’t know how you can be sensitive here - you don’t want the camera zooming in on a guy in a medical emergency, but you don’t want to ignore the elephant in the room either. And you certainly don’t want to start talking about what those arms might mean. 

So what? It's cringe worthy. Again, who cares? I have no opinion on Buck's announcing style. The guy made a comment trying to stay positive. It was dumb. Whoopie.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

that is one of the singularly idiotic comments under an extremely stressful situation to make.  It was obvious to anyone with an IQ over 50 his hands weren't shaking because he was cold.  And wasn't Buck in the stadium, was he oblivious to the temperature there?  Type of asinine comment he should lose his job.

• Agree 1

A play like this could have happened at any level of football, particularly in college where the players are adult-size, strong, and fast.  He wasn't hit, just landed and his head snapped back.  We've seen situations like this a thousand times or more. 

What would have happened in a college setting not in a major city, with limited medical support in the stadium or in a city nearby?  The medical crew in LA were great but the same level of response won't be available in most cases.  

that video does not look bad at all until you see the impact it has on him.  He falls to the ground rather normally, perhaps I'm missing something (could only see it once); what caused this to be such a bad injury?  Helmet defect?  

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

When I had a concussion my hands shook like that, but it was likely from shock more than being cold. At best, he was trying to find some "good" news, at worst, he looks like an idiot

I think Buck was trying to find some good news, perhaps in shock over seeing this-- no one wants to see something like that.  I think people need to give Buck a break.  People seem to want to believe others are intentionally malicious so they can call them out and feel morally superior.  It's a gross thing in our culture.  

49 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

that video does not look bad at all until you see the impact it has on him.  He falls to the ground rather normally, perhaps I'm missing something (could only see it once); what caused this to be such a bad injury?  Helmet defect?  

I think Buck was trying to find some good news, perhaps in shock over seeing this-- no one wants to see something like that.  I think people need to give Buck a break.  People seem to want to believe others are intentionally malicious so they can call them out and feel morally superior.  It's a gross thing in our culture.  

That’s fair on buck. When I heard it, my first thought was dude just say no update, but I do think he was just looking for a silver lining somewhere 

5 hours ago, Beast said:

So what? It's cringe worthy. Again, who cares? I have no opinion on Buck's announcing style. The guy made a comment trying to stay positive. It was dumb. Whoopie.

And I won’t lose sleep over it but am fine acknowledging it was the wrong move

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That’s fair on buck. When I heard it, my first thought was dude just say no update, but I do think he was just looking for a silver lining somewhere 

which is poor judgement.

which he obviously understood by starting his sentence that he would obviously not speculate on the injury. 

it was the proverbial “with all due respect” or “I don’t mean this in a racist way” start to a sentence. If you use the disclaimer just stop talking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

And I won’t lose sleep over it but am fine acknowledging it was the wrong move

which is poor judgement.

which he obviously understood by starting his sentence that he would obviously not speculate on the injury. 

it was the proverbial “with all due respect” or “I don’t mean this in a racist way” start to a sentence. If you use the disclaimer just stop talking. 

Oh i totally agree

1) I've seen numerous cases where players get knocked cold and arms go straight out and tremble etc..   Used to see them mostly on special teams though.  

2) Parham is an extremely awkward player.   Very big,  decent ball skills but a really clumsy athlete.......... it doesn't surprise me that he would get hurt badly on a seemingly routine play because every time I watch him I expect him to get smashed or flipped onto his head.   I'm surprised that he's turned into a solid NFL player.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) I've seen numerous cases where players get knocked cold and arms go straight out and tremble etc..   Used to see them mostly on special teams though.  

2) Parham is an extremely awkward player.   Very big,  decent ball skills but a really clumsy athlete.......... it doesn't surprise me that he would get hurt badly on a seemingly routine play because every time I watch him I expect him to get smashed or flipped onto his head.   I'm surprised that he's turned into a solid NFL player.  

Yeah I watched the play a few times and thought it looked like your normal play where a player trying to make a catch falling like usual. Like many times every game I saw his head hit the ground. So guess he hit it just the right way to ring his bell. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

You never saw the Kevin Everett injury in 2007?

Anyone have any idea how he's doing these days? I remember seeing him a few times after the incident, and he did write a book about it and his recovery and life after. He is a courageous young man.

I found this, but it does not contain any recent updates (by the way, if you are one of those young people who does not know who Kevin Everett is, at least give this a quick read. He's a modern-day miracle): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Everett

The real heros that day were the Bills Medical staff, they saved a players life that day: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/08/20/kevin-everett-spinal-cord-injury-buffalo-bills-tight-end-has-recovered/5616277002/

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's 6'8"  He literally has farther to fall before his head hits the ground on a play like that. It's a matter of physics.

It's really hard to look at a play and determine how hard a hit a guy might have taken.  You see plays all the time where players look like they got hit as badly as Parham did, and they bounce right up, ready to play.  I just hope that Parham can live a normal life after this, and if he wants to continue playing football, he is able to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.