Zach Cunningham released (Update : Claimed by the Titans)

billvernsays

If nothing else putting a claim in for ZC would light a fire under Edmunds 

The Texans will eat a $12.8 million dead cap hit next year. With no guarantees for 2022 and a $275K dead cap hit for the remainder of this year, it's likely that a team claims him off waivers. 

Edited by billvernsays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

You need to cover to play in McDermott's scheme.

I'd normally agree with you but given the current issues against the run, this would be a player I'd want.  You need a run stopper like this guy, not only for his physical skill, but that corporate knowledge that could improve the defense.  

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Texans have been sitting people, keeping them out of games, totally dysfunctional and their HC is a borderline moron

I think I'd rather just be called a moron than a borderline moron.

Cuz if "borderline" I'd be nervous that I'd do one more dumb thing in front of you and then I would drop down to an official moron after that.

If just a moron from the start, there's less to worry about - you already made up your mind.

• Haha (+1) 2

I wonder which afc team will scoop him.  Seems like a good for the packers, who are going to be getting Jaire Alexander back soon.  That team has done thing right. Losing their 3 best OL from last year, still rolling along.  Making less mistakes. 

We already lack depth at LB. With COVID etc this guy is a great insurance policy and an upgrade over Klein. We play NE two more times this year most likely. He can help. 

6 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

A LB that can’t cover…..just what we need!

Needed it vs the Pats

• Like (+1) 2

This dude absolutely lit up Josh Allen in 2019 playoff game on the QB sweep play in OT.  Should have been a PF for targeting or helmet to helmet and led to a FG try.

Love how Knox and Morse missed him as he cut through the Bills sweep of blockers.

46 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Love how Knox and Morse missed him as he cut through the Bills sweep of blockers.

Not to change topics, but what he did to Knox and Morse on that play is a classic example of what Edmunds can't do, or at least doesn't do nearly often enough! 

Edmunds would be blocked on that play, unable to get off it, and being steered to wherever the blocker wanted to take him, and Josh would still be running.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billvernsays said:

If nothing else putting a claim in for ZC would light a fire under Edmunds 

The Texans will eat a $12.8 million dead cap hit next year. With no guarantees for 2022 and a $275K dead cap hit for the remainder of this year, it's likely that a team claims him off waivers. 

I don't get the "light a fire" remarks.  Edmunds isn't strolling around playing tag.  His playing his heart out.   We can argue about his skill and effectiveness but, sorry, I think the idea that signing a backup LB will light a fire under him is ludicrous.  I don't think Edmunds would play better at all.  I think he's already playing the best he can play.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

This dude absolutely lit up Josh Allen in 2019 playoff game on the QB sweep play in OT.  Should have been a PF for targeting or helmet to helmet and led to a FG try.

The worst-blocked play in the history of the NFL

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

Right now I'm hurting so bad, I would pick up a box of used footballs if I think it would help.

"Goddamnit!  I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good."

-General Beringer, "WarGames".

maxresdefault.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m suggesting we claim him on waivers. All the Texans $$ was guaranteed, we’d get him for the league minimum If we do this. 

I don’t really see how this would be a bad thing, he’s the number 1 rated LBer vs the run in the past 3 years. Not wanting him because of $$ is an incorrect assumption because we could pick up his current contract and only be on the hook for $250k this year.

At that rate, we COULD only play him in run only situations and be better suited for playoff weather or NE deep in December game situations.

I get the character thing BUT at this point shouldn’t the locker room be strong enough to handle ZC?

He’d be going from a dumpster fire to a playoff contender that he 

could really help out. Then we’d be in control to release him, restructure his contract, or trade him for SOMETHING next offseason.  It’s a win-win for both sides 

Currently when teams are in situations where we know they are gonna run they still get positive yardage and I’m sick of it. 

Let’s stop making TE do things he’s awful at (e.g. Become an instinctive LBer in the run game) and allow him to mainly focus where he excels, blitzing and pass coverage. 

To the point that was made that “Gee, maybe other teams will pick up on this and throw when ZC is in the and Run when TE is in there”

I say great!!  that means WE are dictating what the other teams are doing for a change. They are forced to throw when they wouldn’t want to or pass when they should run. That’s called a strategic win.  

5 hours ago, QCity said:

We need a run stuffing LB that can hit the A-gap and stand up a guard. Edmund's coverage skills didn't help much Monday night.

That’s not our defense…..we don’t need a Brandon Spikes. All teams are gonna do when they see him on the field is throw the ball and then you guys will be complaining about that.

It’s only a handful of you guys that hate Edmunds ……some of think he’s actually a good NFL LB…..not elite but definitely above average.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.