Poyer and Hyde snap at Jerry Sullivan

IBTG81

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I agree with everything you say except your generous assumption that he would like a do-over.

I think the exchange went exactly how he wanted it to, he was proud of making himself part of the story and would do it again in a heartbeat. As long as he was at a safe distance behind a microphone.

I don’t follow the local guys (at all), so I’ll take your word for it. I can’t say I’ve heard a lot of positive reviews of his work. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Including what McDermott said, it's not a good look. 

I get being heated after a loss, but man... they didn't look/sound right after this loss.

shouldn't be press conferences right after the game...too emotional and players are pissed after a loss, plus Sullivan has always been a dick

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

shouldn't be press conferences right after the game...too emotional and players are pissed after a loss, plus Sullivan has always been a dick

I’m glad someone is ripping into this team. Somebody needs to light a fire under these pushovers. Tired of the decades of mediocrity. To lose to a team who passed the ball 3 times is a flat out embarrassment. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thought they handled it pretty well. I wouldn’t call that snapping at a reporter.

I call it speaking his mind and in a heated moment.... to micah it likely was akin to rubbing his nose in the loss....dont do that. If it had been me Maybe Ida snarked back something like "no but your question is embarrassing Jerrah..

*shrugs* not the biggest deal ..... "snapping at media" is a clickbait word ploy. IMO

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 97bills said:

The bills have been bad against the run for 3 years now nothing new really. 

How is it that organizations like the Steelers and the Ravens can go year in and year out with good drafts and keep teams near the top but we somehow can’t do it? I’m so tired of teams bullying us around. If it wasn’t for Allen, I would have absolutely no faith in this team. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree with everything you say except your generous assumption that he would like a do-over.

I think the exchange went exactly how he wanted it to, he was proud of making himself part of the story and would do it again in a heartbeat. As long as he was at a safe distance behind a microphone.

Jerry lost me when he took a purposefully designed picture and posted it on Twitter to make it seem the Bills cheaped out on the media's breakfast one Sunday not long ago.  It was pure BS and all for nothing but holding a grudge against someone. 

Whatever you do, don't lie to me.  But that's what Jerry did...and someone corrected it in real time thank goodness.  

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Offense has cost the Bills in their losses:

Steelers - That was the offense that didn’t get it done.

Titans - As much as the narrative was we couldn’t stop Tennessee, they couldn’t stop Josh either and we avoided OT, and went for it. At worst that’s 34-34 going to OT.

Jags - The offense was horrific and Allen’s interception gave the Jags the winning FG.

Colts - Defense got pounded.

Patriots - Couldn’t score in two trips to the Red Zone in the 4th. Didn’t get a point down by 4 points. 

I agree with you except for the Titans.   The D gave up points on 6 consecutive drives  (4 TDs and 2 FGs)  not counting kneel downs.   After the first quarter the D didn't force 1 punt.  Yes offense still had a chance to win at the end.  But how could the defense possibly be worse than giving up points on every possession?

Anyway last night, even though they were pushed around, the D held NE out of the end zone in the 2nd half and did enough to win.   This year, when 1 side of the ball has a rough game the other side doesn't do quite enough to make up for it.     Weird year.  Either they win in a blow out or they lose. 

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Unprofessional question from a bush league reporter. He should have been banned a long time ago.  You can ask about the run defense and the missed assignments. You can’t ask if they are embarrassed after giving up 14 points

You ***** nailed it.  These posts suggesting being disrespectful is somehow ok cause they lost the game need a good hit from Hyde.  Then we can see who the real men are. 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Jerry Sullivan is a great example of what is wrong with the media.

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You ***** nailed it.  These posts suggesting being disrespectful is somehow ok cause they lost the game need a good hit from Hyde.  Then we can see who the real men are. 

It's ridiculous to suggest Sullivan was "disrespectful" or whatever.

In NYC, Jerry is a dime a dozen; they are all at least as confrontational as he is.

In Buffalo, it stands out, b/c WNY is a very go along to get along type of place and a 1 horse town.

But Jerry isn't willing to go podunk just b/c he is working in WNY.  Good on him.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Should have gone to a Bear front and put a fifth Lineman in-especially when they were against the wind.

Yes! Do something. I understand you gotta implement and practice some. But I’d figure every team should have their base defense and wrinkles in between. Goal line defense… and then something in between.

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t know why they are so mad at the question. Bill Belichick just called them embarrassing for 60 minutes by running the same play over and over daring them to stop the run. 

They should be ***** embarrassed.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It's ridiculous to suggest Sullivan was "disrespectful" or whatever.

In NYC, Jerry is a dime a dozen; they are all at least as confrontational as he is.

In Buffalo, it stands out, b/c WNY is a very go along to get along type of place and a 1 horse town.

But Jerry isn't willing to go podunk just b/c he is working in WNY.  Good on him.

I think for a man who puts his body on the line for his teammates and gives 100% every week on the field the question is really insulting.  It's odd you dont understand that, but not surprising. 

18 hours ago, Simon said:

Yeah, they're pissed off because they just lost a game they really wanted.

Needed matey Needed. Do or die time in the AFC East and we couldn't get the job done. The way they lost in the past would have put me in a bunker and mope for a week lol...not anymore. Do or Die each and every week here on out. I really hope they don't just tank and can recover.make no mistake this is the gut check time part deux next week.

m

16 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Needed matey Needed. Do or die time in the AFC East and we couldn't get the job done. The way they lost in the past would have put me in a bunker and mope for a week lol...not anymore. Do or Die each and every week here on out. I really hope they don't just tank and can recover.make no mistake this is the gut check time part deux next week.

m

I actually almost typed needed.

But I don't think they're done yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Conflicted. 

On one hand, I hate Sullivan. On the other, I'm glad he has the balls to call them out for their ***** play. Mentally weak. 

Between the way they answered the question and coach McD’s comment about Bill B, I’d say “embarrassing” is the right word 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

The question not only showed a lack of general people skills, it also indicated he’s not very good at his job. If you truly want to get insight from the players you follow, and want to maintain a long term relationship, you word that in a way that doesn’t undermine the relationship.

He's not trying to get insight whatsoever, he's heard all the cliches. He's trying to provoke a reaction when tempers are high.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/bills-micah-hyde-discusses-exchange-with-reporter-that-went-viral-after-patriots-loss.html

I thought Matt Parrino's article here was pretty fair.

Pointed out that there's been mixed reaction to the exchange, with some (Colin Cowherd) feeling it was a disrespectful phrasing and others (Mike Wibon, who?) saying Poyer and Hyde were "soft hearted" in how they handled it.

I think this is a core part.  Hyde and Poyer feel that by treating the press respectfully and by talking regularly and consistently to the press, win or lose, and by building relationships, they should be treated more respectfully by the press:

“I’m not a celebrity. I’m not a guy that sees myself as above everybody else and all that,” he said. “Throughout my career I’ve had an opportunity to meet a lot of you guys and I don’t see myself as above you guys. I really treat you guys as friends. ... The type of relationships I’ve built with you guys aren’t just BS.”

21 hours ago, QCity said:

He's not trying to get insight whatsoever, he's heard all the cliches. He's trying to provoke a reaction when tempers are high.

Yes, This.  Although I think Sully is so clueless that he actually for-reals thinks that's a "tough question" vs. some of the questions that were asked of Hyde and Harrison Phillips today that I think were actually much tougher (but respectful) questions - basically to the effect of "there have been several games now where you keep giving up long runs and big rushing yards, is it the same reason?"

It was not a lack of effort or desire by the players that lost that game.  That is why Poyer and Hyde were so upset at the insulting question during the interview.  They were crushed and exhausted but I do not believe they were embarrassed in any way.  And to suggest that means you don't respect what they bring to the organization. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pointed out that there's been mixed reaction to the exchange, with some (Colin Cowherd) feeling it was a disrespectful phrasing and others (Mike Wibon, who?) saying Poyer and Hyde were "soft hearted" in how they handled it.

Wilbon is a co-host of PTI which I used to love and watch religiously to the point of DVRing it and making sure not to miss it.  Then one day they were doing a segment and Wilbon said something along the lines of I am going to pick this side now and Kornheiser said in production we decided you would argue the other side.  It was a quick pullback of the curtain but immediately ruined that and every other talking head show.  I don't know why I didn't realize before that how they worked where they just argue each side without actually believing any of it but it was the end of me caring anything about the show.

GMFB had Kay slip up one day saying usually we agree that 2 of us will be on each side but today I think we are all in agreement that x. (don't recall specifics).

To say that any pundit actually believes whatever they say on a panel show is incorrect imo.  I give more weight to Cowherd who is by himself but even he will take a side to be provocative so he gets a grain of salt as well.

It was a dumb question and poorly worded imo.  I want to know what he thought he would get out of asking it.  Did he really expect them to say yes?  Did he think they would say no?  The defense gave up 14 points why would they be embarrassed?  Why weren't any of the offensive personnel asked if they were embarrassed scoring 10 points?

24 minutes ago, section122 said:

Wilbon is a co-host of PTI which I used to love and watch religiously to the point of DVRing it and making sure not to miss it.  Then one day they were doing a segment and Wilbon said something along the lines of I am going to pick this side now and Kornheiser said in production we decided you would argue the other side.  It was a quick pullback of the curtain but immediately ruined that and every other talking head show.  I don't know why I didn't realize before that how they worked where they just argue each side without actually believing any of it but it was the end of me caring anything about the show.

GMFB had Kay slip up one day saying usually we agree that 2 of us will be on each side but today I think we are all in agreement that x. (don't recall specifics).

To say that any pundit actually believes whatever they say on a panel show is incorrect imo.  I give more weight to Cowherd who is by himself but even he will take a side to be provocative so he gets a grain of salt as well.

It was a dumb question and poorly worded imo.  I want to know what he thought he would get out of asking it.  Did he really expect them to say yes?  Did he think they would say no?  The defense gave up 14 points why would they be embarrassed?  Why weren't any of the offensive personnel asked if they were embarrassed scoring 10 points?

I had debate classes in high school as part of model UN and "taking a side you do not necessarily agree with" is part of training. It is useful in politics and law (which basically are same thing to me) because it helps partner in seeing weak points in arguments.   However I have never heard a sports talk show doing this and I cannot see most sports personalities being able to do this.  If I listened to it I would think it was two professional wrestlers talking.

The breaking of the 4th wall is very dangerous in situation you described.  Followers follow the talking head whose position mostly matches their own and this type of role playing can lose listeners. 

13 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

When Jerry called out the idiot Bills, he was right, even though it hurt die hard fans.   But it's obvious, he has an agenda and its never positive about this organization.   Despite the last four years, which sure as crap aren't the Chan, Rex, Jauron years.

Jerry actually talked about this on the Tim Graham podcast.  He said that several other members of the media asked Bills players in previous weeks using the word “embarrassed” and none took offense to it.  

I think Hyde and Poyer were obviously frustrated and Sullivan’s direct nature, cadence, and history probably was the reason why Hyde acted how he did.  

Even Tim Graham said that it was a poor question because it was a yes/no question.  He also said he wouldn’t use the word “embarrassed.”  

1 hour ago, section122 said:

He thought he would get controversy, and something to write about in the Niagara Gazette.

But it's not a "tough" question IMO.  It's OK to ask McDermott - he has oversight over everything, the offense the defense the special teams.

For Poyer and Hyde, it's a "Have you Stopped Beating Your Wife Yet?" question - a question where both "Yes" and "No" can be made to look bad. 

If they say "No" it looks finger-pointy at the offense and/or at the front 7 on D who have primary run-stop responsibility, or focused on the fact that in general, giving up only 14 points should be enough for a win -vs- the fact that giving up 222 yds of rush offense (158 without the long run) is not good.

If they say "Yes" it could also be seen as finger-pointing the rest of the D, or as dissing themselves and their teammates as professionals who just held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 14 points (8 following a turnover) and 1 TD.

It's also a bad question because it's a Y/N question.  The only insight he can get from it is controversy

Compare and contrast with Harrison Phillips and Hyde being asked about whether the runs they give up stem from the same or different causes.  That's a tough question, and got some interesting answers.

On the other hand, Poyer and Hyde handled it poorly.  They could have side-stepped it and say "the word I'd use right now is *pissed*, we just lost a close hard fought game in which we gave up only 14 points and it sucks"

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Jerry actually talked about this on the Tim Graham podcast.  He said that several other members of the media asked Bills players in previous weeks using the word “embarrassed” and none took offense to it.  

I think Hyde and Poyer were obviously frustrated and Sullivan’s direct nature, cadence, and history probably was the reason why Hyde acted how he did.  

Even Tim Graham said that it was a poor question because it was a yes/no question.  He also said he wouldn’t use the word “embarrassed.” 

Well, first of all, sure, you're right, the tone and the history of the questioner have an impact (and it wasn't just on Hyde,  Poyer reacted also).

But I struggle to believe that Sullivan had any kind of benign motivation in asking that question.  I think he wanted clicks and controversy and he got 'em.

18 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

It was not a lack of effort or desire by the players that lost that game.  That is why Poyer and Hyde were so upset at the insulting question during the interview.  They were crushed and exhausted but I do not believe they were embarrassed in any way.  And to suggest that means you don't respect what they bring to the organization. 

Agreed. People are acting like we got blown out. If a team runs 40+ times against you with a good o-line, I think you can expect yards to get put up. Was it embarrassing to Sullivan that they allowed a couple receptions too?

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.