Offensive Line is Garbage

billsfan_34

6 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Even Brady looks bad when he is pressured all day.  

I love how people want to bail when faced with adversity. 

So should we trade Josh for draft picks and start Mitch.

Let's fire McDermott and Beane and get people in management that know what they are doing. 

Give me a break.  Every season has a Game teams lose that they should have won.

I dont think anyone is saying that, but most of us have known how bad the line is this year.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

The Josh that played today is a Josh we have all seen several times before.

When the going gets tough, he goes into hero ball mode, gets very up tight, and just doesn't play well.

He'll fumble, take huge sacks for huge losses, make terrible INT throws, miss wide open receivers, etc.

We need to find ways to keep things under control so the good Josh plays and not the bad one.

OL is going to need major surgery this offseason.

Are you seriously blaming josh for this loss, dude was beaten up all day. I don't know what qb is going to have any semblance of a good game with the blocking we saw from the o-line today. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Dawkins is really overrated. He’s never impressed me and he was a revolving door against Allen today.  I already Shnow we need a better LT if we plan on getting to that next level 

I would not go that far. Dawkins is a good LT imo but he was awful today.  Hard to know why. 

Can't pass block. Can't run the ball, even though we're entirely one dimensional so even with bad run blocking - there should be plays to be made. We've got serious problems right now. This offseason I questioned Beane's decision to keep everything the same with the Offensive Line and the Backfield and expect improvement. Said often "he better be right about this or it's going to look real bad on him". Right now? It's looking REAL bad on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Cody Ford is the Bobby Hart of offensive guards, which is shocking considering he was the best lineman on a talented OU team. Don’t know what happened to the guy, but he’s far from even his rookie performances (which weren’t great, but steady).

Also, part of me wants to blame Josh for bailing from a clean pocket multiple times, or refusing to step up when the rush is getting there wide, but I can’t blame him seeing as how the interior is trash. You can see he feels his only escape is out wide to his right.

Edited by JayBaller10

That was a brutal drop by Gabe Davis.  No replay either.  Stunning loss.  O line is bad.  Dawkins Williams and Ford played about as bad as you can at the NFL level.  Josh playing w no confidence.  We have 4 really good receivers.  Need to stop dinking and dunking.  We are not paying Josh big money to look like Trent Edwards w wheels.  Play that killed us was running Josh Allen up the middle on 3rd and 2 midway thru the 4th qtr when he fumbled.  We were driving and no reason not to be throwing there.  Coaching has been less then stellar.  Terrible loss.  Need Knox back.  Sweeney is not a starting NFL player either.  In fact, I don't think any of our O lineman are NFL caliber players.  They all pretty much stink.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Dawkins was very good last season.  It seems he still hasn't come back 100% from his Covid infection.  The biggest problem we have is guard although I thought Daryl Williams had a very bad game today too.

If he hasn't by now, he may never. We don't know enough about long COVID

37 minutes ago, Steel City Mafia said:

My theory is Josh was hurt and knew he couldn't deliver his usual laser to the sideline. But even if true, the option he went with was worse imo. Josh got beat up all game. I believe his throwing shoulder wasn't the same by games end.

Today was a confluence of factors that led to us looking like the worst o-line in the league. I have no complaints about Morse. Maybe he got beat a couple times but he wasn't a recurring problem. The other 4 were bad to terrible. Dawkins had his worst game of the year. So did Williams. With Brown and Feliciano out we were forced to start Ford and Boettger. Boettger is a backup caliber guard and Ford is not even roster worthy. Plus we are without Knox and Sweeney is a bottom of the roster type of player, not a remotely capable blocker. I felt so bad for Allen.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Today was a confluence of factors that led to us looking like the worst o-line in the league. I have no complaints about Morse. Maybe he got beat a couple times but he wasn't a recurring problem. The other 4 were bad to terrible. Dawkins had his worst game of the year. So did Williams. With Brown and Feliciano out we were forced to start Ford and Boettger. Boettger is a backup caliber guard and Ford is not even roster worthy. Plus we are without Knox and Sweeney is a bottom of the roster type of player, not a remotely capable blocker. I felt so bad for Allen.

Totally agree.  Dawkins, IMO, has not fully recovered from his bout with covid.   Clearly Ford cannot play any position on the o line.  If our backups are better players (e.g. Bates) we need to put them out there.  The weakest link in the chain is the most important.  It can break the chain.

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

Totally agree.  Dawkins, IMO, has not fully recovered from his bout with covid.   Clearly Ford cannot play any position on the o line.  If our backups are better players (e.g. Bates) we need to put them out there.  The weakest link in the chain is the most important.  It can break the chain.

If Dawkins hasn’t recovered from his Covid the Bills could have a big problem. He has a large contract and it’s possible his body could never return to the same level of function as it previously had. 

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

If Dawkins hasn’t recovered from his Covid the Bills could have a big problem. He has a large contract and it’s possible his body could never return to the same level of function as it previously had. 

I think he just needs to get stronger...physically and mentally.

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I dunno about Bates.  But Williams at RT, Ford at RG, and Boettger at LG ARE our backups

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about Bates.  But Williams at RT, Ford at RG, and Boettger at LG ARE our backups

You're right...albeit Williams started last year at RT and was moved inside due to Brown's emergence.  I think Bates is better out there than Ford at the very least, but I don't know if they've ever tried him at guard.

WTF is it gonna take for Bates to get a shot? If he is truly a backup at all 5 OL spots, at least try him over Ford for a series, it can't possibly be worse. I am dumbfounded that we made no halftime adjustments to the OL.

Ford down-blocking to triple team a rusher & letting a DT fly directly past him to Josh was the last straw for me. I know we don't know the blocking assigments, but it definitely wasn't supposed to be a triple team. That guy is lost.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.