Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

There are so many allegations against Watson and they are all pretty much the same creepy behavior. The victims didn't know each other in many cases so there's really not much chance of collusion for a money grab. I dont think Watson plays football again. He is going the way of Ray Rice. Why would anyone (even the Dolphins) trade for him?

• Agree 1

Watson is not being traded this season. As soon as someone tries to put him on the field he would be suspended. The teams linked to him would be looking to salvage *this* season (the one in which he won't be playing). 

I've said all along that Houston should have tried to play him. They should have went to his agent and said, "We're gonna start Watson. We need him to cooperate." then the commissioner would have suspended him and he may have been able to play at some point this season. His situation on being able to play would have been cleared up and the suitors would be a lot more willing to pull the trigger. 

As it stands, he'd have to settle and every single woman would have to drop the charges for him to have chance to step on the field and that's extremely unlikely to happen thus no one is going to give up multiple 1st round picks for him by the 2nd. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agree it seems hard to believe that a team would trade for him before his legal issues are resolved. 

Even if he signs a settlement agreement this week,  which he has claimed he won’t do,  Watson will not have cleared up his "legal issues".isn't there an active grand jury investigation on Watson for 10 criminal counts? You cant settle a criminal case, the prosecutor decides that. and some of the women involved in the criminal cases are NOT part of civil case. They want justice, not money.

It does seem unlikely any team would sell essentially the next half decade in picks for a guy that might end up being banned from the league entirely in the next year.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My understanding is that the league has standard trade language and a standard proviso that anything outside of that must receive league approval.  I recall that being a factor in several other recent trades where the trade was reported, there was a delay, and it was later reported that the NFL didn't approve the original contingency language and it had to be revised. 

Anything in the US can end up in court anyway.

As far as the NFL not taking action, worth reviewing Mike Florio's take (Florio is actually a US-trained lawyer, a former litigator I believe)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/11/nfl-isnt-taking-action-against-deshaun-watson-because-it-doesnt-have-to/

Labor law in Clarksburg, WV.  Charged with wrongful discharge.

https://wvrecord.com/stories/510596357-west-virginia-lawyer-s-nfl-blog-goes-big-time

With the NBC partnership, Florio said he plans to discontinue his law practice on July 1. But he's going to see one wrongful discharge case to its conclusion, he said. He'll keep his Clarksburg office open just in case he decides to start practicing again.

He's been practicing for the last 18 years. The first half had him representing employers against employee claims. The second half has been the other way around, he said.

If Texans are still asking the same high price tag for him I have a hard time seeing this happen because, wasn't it like 3 1st rd picks and a 2nd or something Texans wants?. Unless that has changed, otherwise I find it difficult to see a team give that much up. But then again when comes down to Fins or Jets anything goes.

If the legal issues weren't a factor I could see it more even with giving up that much considering it's Watson. But with the unknown of what plays out etc with his situation I couldn't give up all that much

5 minutes ago, saundena said:

Help me understand something....  Why is Miami the only place that DW wants to go and is willing to be traded too?  Seems strange he would nix Carolina which I think is a much better team all around.

Weather and lifestyle is the only reason.  Again they're a dumpster fire, would be trading-away the prime assets they need for a rebuild, and having a guy like him might turn-off prospective FAs.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Weather and lifestyle is the only reason.  Again they're a dumpster fire, would be trading-away the prime assets they need for a rebuild, and having a guy like him might turn-off prospective FAs.

Also if I remember right he was real pissed about not being consulted/involved in the HC hiring decision and likes Flores for some reason.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Labor law in Clarksburg, WV.  Charged with wrongful discharge.

https://wvrecord.com/stories/510596357-west-virginia-lawyer-s-nfl-blog-goes-big-time

Good work finding that, but there is nothing in the above link about Florio being charged with anything.

It says he was going to stop practicing law, but would finish up one case first:

With the NBC partnership, Florio said he plans to discontinue his law practice on July 1. But he's going to see one wrongful discharge case to its conclusion, he said. He'll keep his Clarksburg office open just in case he decides to start practicing again.

He's been practicing for the last 18 years. The first half had him representing employers against employee claims. The second half has been the other way around, he said.

Translation; Florio was a litigator specializing in employment law, most recently representing employees against employers.  "See one wrongful discharge case to its conclusion" means he had one client, a employee suing his former employer for wrongful discharge, that he was going to continue to represent.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:08 PM, YoloinOhio said:

That's....a tad disingenuous of McClain IMHO.  He was saying Watson could be traded last week and certainly by the trade deadline. 

While that's not exactly reporting a Watson "done deal" to the Dolphins, it does imply there's no major impediment.

If the trade partner wants the legal issues resolved by Nov 2, that sounds like a major impediment right there

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The AFC is going to be insane for years. 

If Aaron Rodgers wants a better legacy now is the time to start piling up those Super Bowls. He's crazy if he tries to get to Pittsburgh, as was suggested. 

New Orleans in 2022.  

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The AFC is going to be insane for years. 

If Aaron Rodgers wants a better legacy now is the time to start piling up those Super Bowls. He's crazy if he tries to get to Pittsburgh, as was suggested. 

Doubtful it happens...Ross will only sign off if 

A) Watson settles his legal cases 

B) The NFL gives him an answer as to the number of games he will be suspended 

Neither are going to happen by the Tuesday deadline

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Is this English?

It’s what happens to your synapses when you get introduced the planet to many times by a D lineman…

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Is this English?

Saying it really slowly and yet somewhat quiet with not a single tiny bit of emotion on your face would be considered a "kiko" like quote lol. Dudes facial expression looked as if at any given moment he was going to cut your face off with precision and wear it as a mask during interviews

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Doubtful it happens...Ross will only sign off if 

A) Watson settles his legal cases 

B) The NFL gives him an answer as to the number of games he will be suspended 

Neither are going to happen by the Tuesday deadline

Even if he settles his civil cases, which could lead to some of the criminal cases being dropped, my understanding is that 2 of the 10 criminal cases are not part of the civil suit and therefore cannot be just be “settled.” So if Miami’s stipulation is the legal issues need resolved in order for the trade to occur, it won’t happen until sometime in the off-season at the earliest. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even if he settles his civil cases, which could lead to some of the criminal cases being dropped, my understanding is that 2 of the 10 criminal cases are not part of the civil suit and therefore cannot be just be “settled.” So if Miami’s stipulation is the legal issues need resolved in order for the trade to occur, it won’t happen until sometime in the off-season at the earliest. 

And actually the criminal investigations are more important. The civil complaints, even if some of them were to be upheld in a trial, will only lead to a suspension. If criminal charges were brought and he was found guilty in a criminal trial he won't pay in the league again. I suspect that is what Miami want closure on. We have no idea what the timetable for that is. The criminal investigation a decision whether or not to prosecute will come when it comes. 

9 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'm honestly surprised the Panthers aren't going after him. 

Heard yesterday that Watson had only waived his NTC for Miami which I found curious given that he went to Clemson just down the road from Charlotte. Given his current legal situation it makes me wonder if there are some things in Charlotte he'd rather not get that close to.

Also, Charlotte tends to be a bit more religious than most places and I don't think his current situation would sit well with a number of people there. 

11 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'm honestly surprised the Panthers aren't going after him. 

Panthers don’t have much ammo or cap is my understanding. They have traded almost all their picks away. They’d have to include a blue chipper like Burns imo. Houston might have to take Darnold which they may or may not want since I think sams deal is guaranteed over 20 million next season. They have to extend Burns and DJ Moore possibly as well as their deals are coming up. 

So here's a question from a different perspective (I should probably start another thread, but I can't stomach Yet Another Watson Thread clogging up the board):

Suppose Ross waives a fairy wand and all Watson's legal troubles vanish like Dust in the Wind.

Watson gets traded to Miami

====> Is it a given he's the same blue-chip, top-of-the-league QB that he was in 2019 and 2020 in Houston?

Assume his skill level is unimpaired (a big assumption since I think there's some "use it or lose it" in field vision and decision making)

What's on my mind is the ever-elusive "locker room leadership" intangible.

Over and over we hear that the guys play harder for Josh because they know he will put it all on the line, put it all out there to win for the team; he won't make "career decisions" and hold back. 

Watson has just pulled the ultimate "career decision" of quitting on his teammates and holding back to get what he wants (out of Houston).  Will that automagically be washed away on the first brilliant downfield scoring drive saved by a scramble and a top-of-the-league deep pass? 

Or will it linger in the back of his new teammates minds, like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch "He quit on his Houston peeps, will he quit on us?"

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a question from a different perspective (I should probably start another thread, but I can't stomach Yet Another Watson Thread clogging up the board):

Suppose Ross waives a fairy wand and all Watson's legal troubles vanish like Dust in the Wind.

Watson gets traded to Miami

====> Is it a given he's the same blue-chip, top-of-the-league QB that he was in 2019 and 2020 in Houston?

Assume his skill level is unimpaired (a big assumption since I think there's some "use it or lose it" in field vision and decision making)

What's on my mind is the ever-elusive "locker room leadership" intangible.

Over and over we hear that the guys play harder for Josh because they know he will put it all on the line, put it all out there to win for the team; he won't make "career decisions" and hold back. 

Watson has just pulled the ultimate "career decision" of quitting on his teammates and holding back to get what he wants (out of Houston).  Will that automagically be washed away on the first brilliant downfield scoring drive saved by a scramble and a top-of-the-league deep pass? 

Or will it linger in the back of his new teammates minds, like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch "He quit on his Houston peeps, will he quit on us?"

I mean ignoring the whole elephant in the room of the allegations I think it'd wouldn't matter. Franchise QBs when they're drafted kind of have this whole thing where they're expected to play for the team that drafts them as long as the team still wants them as the franchise QB, but other players are free to want a change of scenery for money or wanting to be on a contender. I just don't think teammates would hold that specifically against him especially with how big a train wreck Houston is.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean ignoring the whole elephant in the room of the allegations I think it'd wouldn't matter. Franchise QBs when they're drafted kind of have this whole thing where they're expected to play for the team that drafts them as long as the team still wants them as the franchise QB, but other players are free to want a change of scenery for money or wanting to be on a contender. I just don't think teammates would hold that specifically against him especially with how big a train wreck Houston is.

Well, Yes But....Let's not overlook Hopkins part in that.

He signed a huge contract extension on Sept 5, 2020 ....after there were plenty of "Trainwreckage Ahead" signs, 5 months AFTER the Deandre Hopkins trade

It's really simple if you want a change of scenery .... just DON'T SIGN THAT CONTRACT, then he'd be a FA after this season and could go where he wants.

(Yeah, there's the franchise tag etc but there are counters to that too).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - unlikely prior to trade deadline 11/2)
24 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Dolphins have a chance to get a top 10 pick in the draft via SF.   I would take my chances then with a rookie QB and trade Tua.   And likely a new HC.

The Cardinals took their lumps and it is working out for them although they had the #1 pick. 

I don’t think there are any QBs in the upcoming draft - better than Tua or worth that pick.

Some guys will get pushed up, but that does not mean they are worth it.

• Agree 1